A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols?

In reviewing those Red Sox players contracted for the 2012 season, Boston has the door open to revamp its line-up, make another huge free agent splash, or trade some well-valued players currently under reasonable contracts.  It will be interesting to see how management projections play out, including personnel and payroll.  Also, Sox fans may have to say goodbye to some all-time greats (e.g., Jason Varitek, David Ortiz, Jonathan Papelbon).

Here is the breakdown, with those eligible for arbitration unlisted (e.g., Daniel Bard, Jacoby Ellsbury):

Please let me know your thoughts on possibilities, and if corrections, additions, or deletions should be made.  Thanks.

2012 Boston Red Sox 

Starters
    Josh Beckett                         $17,000,000
    John Lackey                          $15,950,000
    Daisuke Matsuzaka             $10,330,000
    Clay Buchholz                      $4,500,000 (includes signing bonus)
    Jon Lester                              $7,630,000                                               

OF
    Carl Crawford                        $20,357,000 

IF
    Adrian Gonzalez                  $27,000,000 (includes signing bonus)
    Kevin Youkilis                      $12,250,000
    Jose Iglesias                         $2,060,000
    Dustin Pedroia                      $8,250,000

Marcos Scutaro                    $1,500,000 (buyout price/unless new contract signed)

Relievers
    Bobby Jenks                         $6,000,000 

Bench
    ?

Total Payroll:  $132,827,000

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Road-Warrior. Show Road-Warrior's posts

Re: A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols?

Pass the bong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-IMHO, someone is going to way overpay for Pujols.  He'll be 32 before his next contract kicks in, and even if you got him for only 6 years (very unlikely) he'd still probably have 2 relatively down years before his contract expires.

2-We already have a 1B.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Ignoring the Pujols comments for a minute.  You should take out the signing bonuses for AGon and Buchholz since they are payable this year (2011).  Ignoring all of the arb eligibles is also somewhat foolish.  You should at least have them at this years salary, even if you don't want to forecast arb raises, just make a comment about being arb eligible.  Off the top of my head, there's Oki, Bard, Lowrie, and Salty who are arb eligible.  And there's a small club option for Atchison.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

And Bin Laden is dead!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In Response to Re: A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols?:
    1-IMHO, someone is going to way overpay for Pujols.  He'll be 32 before his next contract kicks in, and even if you got him for only 6 years (very unlikely) he'd still probably have 2 relatively down years before his contract expires. 2-We already have a 1B.
    Posted by Joebreidey

But, if Ortiz is gone, you will need a DH.  And, Pujols can spell at third and at first, and do it well.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In Response to Re: A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols?:
    Ignoring the Pujols comments for a minute.  You should take out the signing bonuses for AGon and Buchholz since they are payable this year (2011).  Ignoring all of the arb eligibles is also somewhat foolish.  You should at least have them at this years salary, even if you don't want to forecast arb raises, just make a comment about being arb eligible.  Off the top of my head, there's Oki, Bard, Lowrie, and Salty who are arb eligible.  And there's a small club option for Atchison.
    Posted by JB-3

Thanks for the reply.

The signing bonuses are charged to the 2012 payroll, when the contract takes effect.  A signing bonus is part of the contract itself.

I also have no idea who the Red Sox will or will not offer arbitration or the actual monetary result; therefore, I am leaving them out, just as I am leaving out free agents currently on the team that they may, in fact, resign. If you would like to hazard a guess, please do.  That was the main purpose of the post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

Pass the bong.
    Posted by Road-Warrior

I am unsure of what is meant by your reply.  Perhaps a response as a baseball fan would be more appropriate.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

And Bin Laden is dead!!!
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

While I agree with the sentiment, I would appreciate you sticking to the thread, Mikey!  Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

PTHP, I was on the thread just as I learned it happened.  I got psyched, my bad.  Thread continue........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

PTHP, I was on the thread just as I learned it happened.  I got psyched, my bad.  Thread continue........
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

All is forgiven.

cheers.gif

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Here is an excellent analysis of the 2011 payroll. Why not used this as a starting point and subtract from it the players who are expected to leave after this season.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2010/12/21/red-sox-payroll-likely-be-luxury-item-2011

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyetheo. Show byebyetheo's posts

based on this season so far, if there are any negotiations next year for AP,
    THEO won't be around to participate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols? : But, if Ortiz is gone, you will need a DH.  And, Pujols can spell at third and at first, and do it well.  
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please

I do not think that AP will sign with any team where the bulk of his playing time will be at DH.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

I thought that Babe and Pass-the-Hubris were buddies?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --TheBabe---. Show --TheBabe---'s posts

I thought that Babe and Pass-the-Hubris were buddies?

Posted by sunslav

Another reason why you shouldn't think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You know what Babe - maybe you think this hardazz approach is required on all threads, but it isn't. You have something to say, say it without being so f'n callous and disrespectful. It isn't called for. You want to go after Beni and Kim, fine. There was no reason to do it here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: A Diversion: 2012 Boston Red Sox - Waiting for Albert Pujols? : Thanks for the reply. The signing bonuses are charged to the 2012 payroll, when the contract takes effect.  A signing bonus is part of the contract itself. I also have no idea who the Red Sox will or will not offer arbitration or the actual monetary result; therefore, I am leaving them out, just as I am leaving out free agents currently on the team that they may, in fact, resign. If you would like to hazard a guess, please do.  That was the main purpose of the post.
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please

I'll put something together when I have a chance (at work right now).  You're mistaken regarding the signing bonuses though, which is actually illustrated in your Iglesias figure.  The signing bonus is spread over the life of the deal for CBT purposes (The reason Iglesais' charge is over $2M in 2012 is the pro-rated portion of his $6M signing bonus).

I certainly agree with leaving FA's out of the picture if the goal of this is to determine how much flexibility the Sox have to play with going forward.

Sections
Shortcuts