A few ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 59LesPaul. Show 59LesPaul's posts

A few ideas

This season to date has been a disaster, starting with the hiring of bobby v. in december (who in my opinion was the wrong fit for this team), and continuing  through yesterdays bullpen implosion,  it needs to be fixed so here are a few ideas.

1. Trade Youk and a couple single A prospects possibly cecchini, coyle, or vitek
    for either a starter and move bard to the back of the pen, or trade just youk for a guy that can close and leave bard as a starter, either way there needs to be a move made to both shake up the roster and bring in more pitching.

2. if youk is traded give middlebrooks a shot at third, also send down salty and bring up lavarnway

3. finally end the bobby valentine experiment, im not blaming him for the team being as bad as it is but he is part of the problem, he is not the right fit for this team he is out of practice, and the game game has passed him by since his last managerial job in the big leagues.

also retire sweet caroline, that song is an abomination that draws in fake fans who sit there texting and tweeting until its time to sing sweet caroline, its ridiculous

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: A few ideas

Okay

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Short term you call up Cook, put Bard in the pen as the closer, Aceves goes to set up  man, and one of the relievers gets dumped.

That can be done this week very quickly.

But really it's time to look forward to 2013. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 59LesPaul. Show 59LesPaul's posts

In Response to Re: A few ideas:
    Short term you call up Cook, put Bard in the pen as the closer, Aceves goes to set up  man, and one of the relievers gets dumped. That can be done this week very quickly. But really it's time to look forward to 2013. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

i agree completely if you plan on moving bard back to the pen you do it this week

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 59LesPaul. Show 59LesPaul's posts

Les Paul doesn't like any Les Paul and Mary Ford songs?
    Posted by Calzone65

the name is in reference to the holy grail of guitars a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

This is not BV's fault although it may be just a coincidence that they had won three in a row when he singled out Youk.

It would appear Bard would be the guy to close--I give them credit for giving Aceves a shot--he was my choice from the time Pap left until they installed Ace as the man.

1. Bard to closer
    2. Iggy to SS
    3. Cook to the #5 starter
    4. Byrd in CF
    5. DFA DMac
    6. Sweeney, Byrd and Ross OF with Aviles as the option
    7. Youk and Aviles fight it out for 3 B.
    8. If there aren't changes to the way the team is playing after the next 10 games bring Lavarnway up and either carry 3 catchers or option Salty.
    9. Miller and Hill will have to either be added or released, I think, in the next 10 days.
    10. Once again if things haven't changed after playing the Twins, White Sox and Oakland--explore management changes--Bogar is on the staff or perhaps DeMarlo Hale.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If Hill is ready then call him up for sure.

Pen is the biggest concern (then Buck)

I wanted Matt Capps last year but many of you guys thought that was a foolish idea

So what reliever can be had in a deal that would make sense for us BEYOND 2012??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cgmiles75. Show cgmiles75's posts

Do you really think the fake fans will stop coming if they no longer get to yell "so good" like drunk idiots every night? What's more likely to happen is that, as the team continues to suck and the public perception of the organization gets worse and worse, Fenway will become a less desirable place to see and be seen. Then, after the empty seats multiply to the point where the FO can't continue the BS about the phony sellout streak anymore, all that will be left will be the angry, frustrated baseball fans who actually care about what a disgrace the team has become. By then, Sweet Caroline will be met with silence if not outright hostility and finally be retired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from my10sense2. Show my10sense2's posts

No, they haven't won a game since he called out Youk--which, considering he hadn't talked to Youk first, was one of the worst examples of managerial ineptitude possible (or maybe that's actually best example of).  How'd you like hearing your boss doesn't think your head's in the game for the first time in a radio interview? How'd you feel if it happened to one of your co-workers?  Make you feel pretty secure in your job?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Guaranteed contract

12 million a year

I wouldn't be happy about it

But I still go home to mansion every night and eat whatever I want for dinner......so no, job security is not relevant

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Short term you call up Cook, put Bard in the pen as the closer, Aceves goes to set up  man, and one of the relievers gets dumped. That can be done this week very quickly. But really it's time to look forward to 2013. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

I think thats a great first step if Bard has another poor outing but I worry how that effects his overall confidence in any role afterwards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

As long as Bard is the closer.  He earned a chance in the past.  If he's back to a set-up role then it's a demotion and that won't be good for anybody.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The bullpen collapse began when Theo and friends went on the cheap and didn't sign Scott Downs, opting instead for Bobby Jenks for almost as much money. You know the rest of the story.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Posted by andrewmitch

Totally agree with this.  Bard has shown promise as a starter, he still can be in the future, but the greatest need now, is in the pen. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yeah but as you know, I never wanted Bard to start.  He is only starting because we did not have anybody else.  That's not an excuse for a team with the Red Sox's resources.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The bullpen collapse began when Theo and friends went on the cheap and didn't sign Scott Downs, opting instead for Bobby Jenks for almost as much money. You know the rest of the story.
    Posted by TheExaminer
    I wanted Scott Downs too I think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to A few ideas:
    This season to date has been a disaster, starting with the hiring of bobby v. in december (who in my opinion was the wrong fit for this team), and continuing  through yesterdays bullpen implosion,  it needs to be fixed so here are a few ideas. 1. Trade Youk and a couple single A prospects possibly cecchini, coyle, or vitek for either a starter and move bard to the back of the pen, or trade just youk for a guy that can close and leave bard as a starter, either way there needs to be a move made to both shake up the roster and bring in more pitching. 2. if youk is traded give middlebrooks a shot at third, also send down salty and bring up lavarnway 3. finally end the bobby valentine experiment, im not blaming him for the team being as bad as it is but he is part of the problem, he is not the right fit for this team he is out of practice, and the game game has passed him by since his last managerial job in the big leagues. also retire sweet caroline, that song is an abomination that draws in fake fans who sit there texting and tweeting until its time to sing sweet caroline, its ridiculous
    Posted by 59LesPaul

For what its worth I would give the lineup a little more time but insert Byrd in CF ASAP.  If he is in fact done we should know soon enough and we all knew Bowden would probably be gone sooner or later.   I like the Cook  "as a starter" idea and Aceves back in long relief but just hope we don't make Bard the closer.   I just feel thats even more pressure on the guy and if he fails again it may be long lasting for his confidence level.  I would move him back to "set up" if he struggles in his next start or two.  With that said, I really don't have an answer for closer without a trade and Melencons struggles was a huge dissapointment.  I also think most of us knew any production out of Padilla, Cook, O, Germano and others could be "on and off" which is why they were bargain basement choices.

Salty has had good swings and Shoppach done well in the role hes been handed so far but Lav is stuck in limbo until management decides what to do.  I do feel it won't take us five more years "like with Tek" before choosing our future catcher is resolved.  Youk, Papi, Salty and Aviles are all playing for a starting position next season and in all honesty the extra time in the minors should help guys like Iggy and Middlebrooks.  Our future arm in my opinion is still Barnes, who is a couple years away so our pitching is the real issue.  I don't think Lackey will change much after the surgery but hopefully Dice can give us some good innings this season.

I know we seem to be saying "wait til next season" a lot, but unless everyone chips in our season could be less than great.  Dice, Youk, Papi, Salty and Jenks account for approximately 46mil, while Lackey and CC have us coughing up more blood so where does the money for Jacoby come from if we choose to keep him?  

Papi and/or Youk may be the next victims regardless of how they play this season, along with a couple more trades so there are more moves coming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Craze I agree with a lot of what you've said--Ortiz has some value especially if he keeps hitting the way he has started. The question is what AL team, what kind of prospects will they return and how much of his salary will the Sox have to eat.

I think we will see the Sox win some games so other major moves may be deadline deals. Youk, unless he starts hitting has no value unless there is a team looking for  a 1 B and then for sure they would look for monetary relief.

If losing continues  there are different levels of trade value. I think Beckett may have high value, Punto may have some trade value and Atch has some amazing outings along with some poor outings--minor. I like Atch and he has helped this team.

Glad they escaped town without another loss Sunday--hopefully they can regroup on the road and cut into a little of the deficit they have dug for themselves.

Sections
Shortcuts