A game of inches...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

A game of inches...

I don't get a chance to see many games but I took the time to see games one and two of this series.  I think I'll have to miss tonight's.

But what struck me so much in the first game was just exactly how much difference a few inches really makes.  I know the HP ump makes those calls all the time on balls and strikes, that isn't what I'm talking about (even though when the ump gives balls and takes away strikes, that effects things a lot).

The play at second that Pedey almost got to ... and instead of it being a double play it opened the door for the ancient enemy to score.  Michael Kay wondered if he didn't get to it because maybe Scut should have.  I thought, look at the normal thing.  Scut was set up at second for the force and relay to first, not going for the ball.  Pedey is so good at getting the tough ones that it was second nature for Scut to set up for the DP.    Inches.  Just inches.  Maybe even just one or two.

A couple other plays that night were also so close that they were -possibly - game changing.

Ells and the diving non-catch... last night ... Josh was so glad to see Ells get there ... oops ... not quite.  And the Highlanders soon score.

And the shot off the left field stands ... that had Gardner thrown for a bead.  Almost a ground rule double.  Almost a long single ... but the Sox score badly needed runs instead.

With all the normal plays, the average stuff that sometimes bores people, these games so often change on an inch or two ...

It never ceases to amaze me. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: A game of inches...

Yup! Or the missed third strike by Salty that cost Wake 4 runs and the eventual loss.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Or the gound rule double by Tony Clark in game four of the ALCS in 2004 that took an inexplicable bounce into the stand that cost the yanks the go ahead run a game in which we came from behind to win...
    Or better how about the double that tek hit last night off the end of his bat opposed to the bullet his by Scutaro the night before that gardner made a great running catch on...baseball fever catch it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How about 2nd and 3rd and Cano makes a real nice play on CC's liner?  If that goes through, we're favored to win G1.  This is one of the reasons why the best BB teams only play .600, while the best teams in other sports play > .750.  People get too up and down on the winning and losing streaks.  The difference between going 3-7 or 7-3 is often just a few bloop hits or a few caught line drives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yup. It's also the reason why sub .500 clubs can beat any team on any given day.
    The game has infinite variables. That's the beauty of it. But, luck is not the over-riding factor. NY/Boston don't stay on top because they are lucky. Luck tends to even out over time...for everybody.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great title for an adult film.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches...:
    Yup! Or the missed third strike by Salty that cost Wake 4 runs and the eventual loss.
    Posted by Alibiike

it cost him the eventual loss?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

A game of inches is every game played where the umpires decide where the strike zone is, and where it isn't. That first game was a disgrace, and I don't like what they did to Lester in the first inning tonight either.

Anyone else notice that the ump who was behind the plate for the first game was the same imbecile who initially called a ball foul, and then changed it in the second game?  If that ball didn't bounce into the stands, that would have held the runners up when they saw the first call. I still believe they should be accountable in some way for their calls, and/or finally bring baseball into the 21st century and start using modern technology to call balls and strikes, and instant replay for bad calls. Enough with the arbitrary strike zones, and game-changing calls based on whatever mood an umpire is in that night, or what his agenda is. JMO

It's no wonder that the Yankees have been able to keep it so close. I can only imagine what the calls are like for them in less high-profile games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A game of inches is every game played where the umpires decide where the strike zone is, and where it isn't. That first game was a disgrace, and I don't like what they did to Lester in the first inning tonight either. Anyone else notice that the ump who was behind the plate for the first game was the same imbecile who initially called a ball foul, and then changed it in the second game?  If that ball didn't bounce into the stands, that would have held the runners up when they saw the first call. I still believe they should be accountable in some way for their calls, and/or finally bring baseball into the 21st century and start using modern technology to call balls and strikes, and instant replay for bad calls. Enough with the arbitrary strike zones, and game-changing calls based on whatever mood an umpire is in that night, or what his agenda is. JMO It's no wonder that the Yankees have been able to keep it so close. I can only imagine what the calls are like for them in less high-profile games.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Yes; this can't come fast enough; then what would be your excuse in the event of a loss? Faulty equipment and interpretation via more conspiracy anecdotes?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

A game of inches is every game played where the umpires decide where the strike zone is, and where it isn't. That first game was a disgrace, and I don't like what they did to Lester in the first inning tonight either. Anyone else notice that the ump who was behind the plate for the first game was the same imbecile who initially called a ball foul, and then changed it in the second game?  If that ball didn't bounce into the stands, that would have held the runners up when they saw the first call. I still believe they should be accountable in some way for their calls, and/or finally bring baseball into the 21st century and start using modern technology to call balls and strikes, and instant replay for bad calls. Enough with the arbitrary strike zones, and game-changing calls based on whatever mood an umpire is in that night, or what his agenda is. JMO It's no wonder that the Yankees have been able to keep it so close. I can only imagine what the calls are like for them in less high-profile games.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

quit blaming the umpires, kimwhosaysnothing.

lester was pitching like dice-walk last night. five innings and 120 pitches-PATHETIC.
    he actually looked afraid.
    i don't think you should run out and buy WS tickets at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches... : quit blaming the umpires, kimwhosaysnothing. lester was pitching like dice-walk last night. five innings and 120 pitches-PATHETIC. he actually looked afraid. i don't think you should run out and buy WS tickets at this point.
    Posted by theYAZZER

C'mon, Yazzer, ease off.

The only reason I wouldn't buy those tickets, BTW, is they aren't printed yet.

And if the Phillies are the NL team, I might really see a couple games there.  Cooler than snot in January!!!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Posted by kimsaysthis

I agree that  the umpiring has been horrid. But I do not agree with usning technology to officiate games.
    Umpiring used to be pretty darn good back in the day, but IMO, they are bringing these guys up through the ranks way too soon. There are way too many young umpires (under 40 guys) with too much responsibility and not enough experience.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches... : I agree that  the umpiring has been horrid. But I do not agree with usning technology to officiate games. Umpiring used to be pretty darn good back in the day, but IMO, they are bringing these guys up through the ranks way too soon. There are way too many young umpires (under 40 guys) with too much responsibility and not enough experience.
    Posted by Alibiike

I think you are right about the inexperience.  I also think it's rather amazing that everyone pretty well knows what kind of game home ump is gonna call.  When I listen to the different retired pro players, they tell us what this guy is like and that guy.  Some have open strike zones, some have narrow, some high some low.  Some have to be influenced to give pitchers a tight call because the pitcher is throwing a good game, otherwise the close calls go more toward balls.

It has to be a bit maddening to know that you have to play against the ump as well as the batter ot pitcher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Great title for an adult film.
    Posted by tcal2-

:o)  Funny tcal

...but with me it's "The Longest Yard"

No brag.

Just fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches... : I agree that  the umpiring has been horrid. But I do not agree with usning technology to officiate games. Umpiring used to be pretty darn good back in the day, but IMO, they are bringing these guys up through the ranks way too soon. There are way too many young umpires (under 40 guys) with too much responsibility and not enough experience.
    Posted by Alibiike

Incorrect, as usual; they didn't have the technology then to expose the bad calls like they do now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches... : I think you are right about the inexperience.  I also think it's rather amazing that everyone pretty well knows what kind of game home ump is gonna call.  When I listen to the different retired pro players, they tell us what this guy is like and that guy.  Some have open strike zones, some have narrow, some high some low.  Some have to be influenced to give pitchers a tight call because the pitcher is throwing a good game, otherwise the close calls go more toward balls. It has to be a bit maddening to know that you have to play against the ump as well as the batter ot pitcher.
    Posted by SinceYaz

It's always been that way, not that it's necessarily a good thing (Recall the Seinfeld GAY episode, but reverse the principle)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Re: A game of inches... : :o)  Funny tcal   ...but with me it's "The Longest Yard"    No brag.   Just fact.
    Posted by SinceYaz

how about DIE HARD?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Five

Five dollar

Five dollar footlong

Sections
Shortcuts