A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

We are proposing trades here--truly what is our biggest need?

Who are our most expendable pieces?

I have seen WMB play--he is a good prospect--I have only seen Boggie in one game as a SS in Portland; he's still a suspect. I know WMB can play and hit MLB pitching. The Marlins can get plenty on tape on him. If they like him more than Boggie--trade him as part of a Stanton blockbuster trade.

WMB,Barnes, Bard or Bailey, Morales or Lester or Buch, Ells and Iggy and some cash; 

in exchange for Stanton, Coughlan and their best A pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There were a few mentions of Carp coming to Boston in trade in this thread.

Good job Board.

Question is what's next for Sox Trade Talk???????

Bailey

Ells

Doubie

What will the comp be for Carp? Someone with options , no doubt...

Perhaps one of these four position prospects: Garin Cecchini, Brandon Jacobs, Jose Vinicio, Keury DeLaCruz--they are all top 20 Sox Prospects.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Good job Board.

Question is what's next for Sox Trade Talk???????

Bailey

Ells

Doubie

Perhaps one of these four position prospects: Garin Cecchini, Brandon Jacobs, Jose Vinicio, Keury DeLaCruz--they are all top 20 Sox Prospects.

They wont give up that much Mad...Probably a low level B prospect thats a few years away or just write a check to the M's and call it a day, which is very likely as well...

Carp is not worth a top 20 prospect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Good job Board.

I'm still pulling for 18-year-old outfielder Manuel Margot, the 23rd-ranked prospect at SoxProspects:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/margot-manuel.htm

Margot was not among the 23 Sox prospects with a grade a C+ or above in the team's ranking from prospect analyst John Sickels (although Margot was mentioned among "Others"):

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/7/3848710/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2013

FanGraphs did not list Margot among the Top 15 Red Sox prospects:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/boston-red-sox-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

Neither Baseball America nor Baseball Prospectus listed Marget among the Top 10 Red Sox prospects, although Baseball Prospectus had Margot as a "Prospect on the rise":

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19018

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614265.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Good job Board.

I'm still pulling for 18-year-old outfielder Manuel Margot, the 23rd-ranked prospect at SoxProspects:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/margot-manuel.htm

Margot was not among the 23 Sox prospects with a grade a C+ or above in the team's ranking from prospect analyst John Sickels (although Margot was mentioned among "Others"):

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/1/7/3848710/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2013

FanGraphs did not list Margot among the Top 15 Red Sox prospects:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/boston-red-sox-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

Neither Baseball America nor Baseball Prospectus listed Marget among the Top 10 Red Sox prospects, although Baseball Prospectus had Margot as a "Prospect on the rise":

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19018

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614265.html

Like I said in another thread Hill, He could be something special in a few years...If I were the M's and could get a kid with his upside, Id jump at it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hopefully Carp will get some time soon to show what he's got. My guess is the Sox will try to move Overbay soon or perhaps try to flip Carp for some prospects.  

I realize it was only BC but Gomez continued where he left off last Fall. The guy can hit--I would hate to see the Sox give up on him until they are sure Ortiz and Nap can play.

The Bullpen dilema is going to prove to be a challenge of what to do with the excess and when--you can only use the Phantom DL and option certain players so far. If Taz performs like he did last year why option him for the sake of keeping a less talented player on the 25.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hopefully Carp will get some time soon to show what he's got. My guess is the Sox will try to move Overbay soon or perhaps try to flip Carp for some prospects.  

I realize it was only BC but Gomez continued where he left off last Fall. The guy can hit--I would hate to see the Sox give up on him until they are sure Ortiz and Nap can play.

The Bullpen dilema is going to prove to be a challenge of what to do with the excess and when--you can only use the Phantom DL and option certain players so far. If Taz performs like he did last year why option him for the sake of keeping a less talented player on the 25.

Overbay can opt out if he doesnt make the 25-man roster...

Unfortunately Gomez is repetetive...RH bat that can DH and play 1b. We need a LH 1b/OF. IMO, They will store him in AAA for now and maybe move him if Naps is Ok.

I think by the end of camp the Pen situation ill have worked itself out whether a trade, someone being sent down or both...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Let's do one at a time----no piggy back comments. It would be interesting to see if any that are proposed actually happen.

You can have many posts but try for one trade per post.

Not just Sox trades.

Could be something you've seen elsewhere--maybe state the source.

Lester and Kalish for Alex Gordon.

I have two that could help each team ...

#1 Doubront and Salty for ....

IB, CJ Cron    http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2900

Angels won't need this kid as much as we do.

#2 Webster, Ells or Brentz and either Iggy or Ciriaco to the Mainiers for Walker or Hultzen

Webster could have the same upside but will probably take longer to reach the majors.  Ells could be right at home and the Mariners could use him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I'd like to see Webster pitch before giving him and Brentz/Ells away for two prospects either of which may not be as good.

Let's see if Aceves shows something today in addition to Gomez, Carp  and JBJ. I see some competition starting to develop--when you think about it the Sox were favored to have an 85-90 win season last year. With the pen that's developing and tack on 5 wins more for Lester, Buck and perhaps 8-10 for Lackey and 10 for Dempster---they might acyually compete if they stay healthy.

Big "IF."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lester had a good outing, he's talking, perhaps this is the time to move him.

Sign Kyle Lohse for one year for $10 M plus makeable incentives. Give RDLR and the Webmeister a year to show what they can do with the PawSox. Move Lester for some good prospects and not worry about the lost draft pick.

Demp, Buch, Lohse, Lackey, Doubie, Morales, Aceves, Webster, Rubby--in case trouble surfaces yo've got some backups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester had a good outing, he's talking, perhaps this is the time to move him.

Sign Kyle Lohse for one year for $10 M plus makeable incentives. Give RDLR and the Webmeister a year to show what they can do with the PawSox. Move Lester for some good prospects and not worry about the lost draft pick.

Demp, Buch, Lohse, Lackey, Doubie, Morales, Aceves, Webster, Rubby--in case trouble surfaces yo've got some backups.

Trade Lester?? A guy who went 75-36 with a low to mid 3 era, 200 IP, 200+ K's and a 1.2 whip before a bad 2012 season? All in the ALE? at 29yrs old? And right now you would be selling low. Seriously, whywould you want to get rid of him if he starts looking like the Jon Lester pre 2012?  (seriously, I really would like to hear your reasoning) Personally, theres No way I get rid of Lester. It wasnt too long ago he was in Cy Young talks and I believe he can get there again.

Now I might think about Doubront, but not right now unless I had a def replacement (Wright/Morales?) and a solid return. Also I would try and trade Bailey, but again, not right now because his value is too low. I would move Aceves if I could right now.

Smaller moves maybe right now. The bigger moves will probably come mid-season IMO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

southie, my rationale is I personally don't think Lester is going to regain what he once had---I hope I'm wrong if he stays. I would suggest he has to try very hard to make people like him--I hope he continues to work at it. I  think once he has his first disagreement with Farrell or the new pitching coach he will recede to last years defensive mood.

I know people are tired of the association with the chicken and beer and the Sept. swoon but  he hasn't reconciled the issues related to that and neither has Lackey.

I think both Lester and Lackey have to go in order for that chapter to close.

You asked--that's my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

southie, my rationale is I personally don't think Lester is going to regain what he once had---I hope I'm wrong if he stays. I would suggest he has to try very hard to make people like him--I hope he continues to work at it. I  think once he has his first disagreement with Farrell or the new pitching coach he will recede to last years defensive mood.

I know people are tired of the association with the chicken and beer and the Sept. swoon but  he hasn't reconciled the issues related to that and neither has Lackey.

I think both Lester and Lackey have to go in order for that chapter to close.

You asked--that's my opinion.

Thanks Mad and although i dont agree with your thought process on the "chicken and beer" deal, I respect your POV...Thank you for your honest answer.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's been two weeks since a comment was made on this thread. Two weeks of seeing our home team compete and play about .500 ball. Granted we are 2 plus weeks before we open in NY and we're looking at a pretty full dudout.

After seeing BB let WW walk to Mile High and having a high opinion of both parties--it got me thinking about the Sox and BenC: I'm frankly a little concerned about cut down day and whether the Sox are going  to do in the weeks what BB did yesterday--let a very good player go to a team that in all liklihood may be challenging the Pat's for a playoff spot next Dec..

What moves will BenC make in the next two weeks?

1. Will he go after Brennan Boesch--who is better than Nava, Carp, Mair?

2. Will he trade a favorite of mine Aceves? He will never get his true value in return.

3. Do you trade Drew to St. Louis , now, with his permission and give the SS position to Iggy and decide that's the thing to do.

4. Finally for me--Ellsbury--do you try to move him and go with JBJ when you've lost Ortiz for probably the next 3 months and you may need to play small ball for a while?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Trade Overbay and a prospect to the Brewers for Michael Olmsted--who we released last year, and pitcher Mark Rogers. Olmstead has options and Rogers appears headed to the DL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Trade Overbay and a prospect to the Brewers for Michael Olmsted--who we released last year, and pitcher Mark Rogers. Olmstead has options and Rogers appears headed to the DL.

Overbay opted out today and the NYY are in on him...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Alfred Aceves and Mike Carp to NYM for:

Cory Mazzoni RHP and Josh Satin 1B (provided both Mazzoni and Satin have options).

This would actually favor the Mets, who would get two ML ready players for one 23-year old right-handed pitching prospect with decent potential, and a 28-year old who is nothing more than organizational depth at 1b but has shown some power and OBP ability and a propensity for missing way too many pitches.  But, it rids the Sox of a malcontent who is redundant with Mortenson and Morales (when he returns from injury) around, and Mike Carp (who is much like Satin, in reality, though 18 months younger).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Alfred Aceves and Mike Carp to NYM for:

Cory Mazzoni RHP and Josh Satin 1B (provided both Mazzoni and Satin have options).

This would actually favor the Mets, who would get two ML ready players for one 23-year old right-handed pitching prospect with decent potential, and a 28-year old who is nothing more than organizational depth at 1b but has shown some power and OBP ability and a propensity for missing way too many pitches.  But, it rids the Sox of a malcontent who is redundant with Mortenson and Morales (when he returns from injury) around, and Mike Carp (who is much like Satin, in reality, though 18 months younger).

par---I like the sound of that move my trouble with it is Aceves has been a great guy to have around as far as Farrell is concerned and he makes the pen even stronger with his ability to pitch multiple quality innings in addition to stepping into the starting role. I would be more inclined to move Bard or Mort.

Carp--has been under a lot of pressure to perform sufficiently to win a 25 spot. I think once he makes the 25 we will see some pretty good production from him. I wish I knew more about the two players you mentioned because they sound like the may help in the Sox rebuilding.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Mac,

I wish I had faith that Aceves will stay the good citizen.  I prefer Mortenson going forward.  And once Morales is back, he also serves as a long-man/occasional spot starter.  Otherwise he has no real role on this staff.

I agree that Carp is likely to be the guy they keep and that his production may prove a benefit.  I wish his defense was worth keeping him for.  Otherwise, all he is is a RH bat off the bench, and injury replacement.

Neither of the two Mets guys is a top prospect.  But the AA pitcher is two years out of college and shown he can handle AA as a starter.  He should be promoted to AAA sometime this year, if not to begin the year.  He would line up behind Webster, Barnes, De La Rosa and Wright on the prospect chart, but he might be worth putting in Portland to start and see if he can work his way up to Pawtucket when/if one of the Pawtucket hurlers are promoted to the big club.  If he can master his control, he will be an effective pitcher.  Perhaps a very reliable second tier starter in a couple of years.  I wouldn't mind giving up Aceves for that, personally.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lucas Harrell, P, Astros and a C prospect, in exchange for Lavarnway, Aceves(pay 1/2 salary), JC Linares and Drake Britton. Three of these guys might make the Astros lineup today.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Harrell is 27yrs old (28 in June) and a back of the rotation or depth pitcher at best. Pass. Lavarnway and Britton have a ton of potential. That would be so lopsided in Houstons favor IMO.

We should be looking at 1b, P, and OF as returns. We have tons of SS/2b/3rd base types. Besides Shaw, nobody else at 1b once we got rid of Rizzo and Head. Lavarnway, Vasquez and Swihart at C. JBJ, Brentz as possible starters in the OF. Maybe Haze, maybe.

What I think BC is doing is seeing how these kids and certain Sox players are performing and evaluating who would be used in a trade and who is in the teams future. taking rule-5 eligibility into consideration as well. We can do better than Harrell, we have the prospects to do it. We have a bunch of his types in the system.

Id have to look at teams depth charts to get an idea who might be available before I suggested anything.

We wouldnt get much for Aceves by himself, but if we added a nice piece we could get something more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Lucas Harrell is younger than Alfredo Aceves and Juan Carlos Linares and only 13 months older than Ryan Lavarnway. Harrell's 2012 WAR of 2.5 would have ranked second on the Red Sox pitching staff. Harrell, the No. 2 starter in the Houston rotation, remains under team control through the 2017 season, including this year and next at the league minimum salary.

Alfredo Aceves represents an underwater asset with his conduct, his $2.65 million salary and his performance since last season. The Red Sox would need to offset Aceves' negative value by adding players of value. Drake Britton, who turns 24 in a month, is coming off two dismal minor league seasons. Juan Carlos Linares is a 27 year old playing at Double A. Nearly 26-year-old Ryan Lavarnway is a less attractive option than Houston's same-age catcher, Jason Castro (whose Stanford pedigree rivals Lavarnway's Yale background). 

No way do the Astro make that deal, even if the Sox pay half of Aceves' salary of $2.65 million.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Lucas Harrell is younger than Alfredo Aceves and Juan Carlos Linares and only 13 months older than Ryan Lavarnway. Harrell's 2012 WAR of 2.5 would have ranked second on the Red Sox pitching staff. Harrell, the No. 2 starter in the Houston rotation, remains under team control through the 2017 season, including this year and next at the league minimum salary.

Alfredo Aceves represents an underwater asset with his 2013 salary of his conduct, his $2.65 million salary and his performance since last season. The Red Sox would need to offset Aceves' negative value by adding players of value. Drake Britton, who turns 24 in a month, is coming off two dismal minor league seasons. Juan Carlos Linares is a 27 year old playing at Double A. Nearly 26-year-old Ryan Lavarnway is a less attractive option than Houston's same-age catcher, Jason Castro (whose Stanford pedigree rivals Lavarnway's Yale background). 

No way do the Astro make that deal, even if the Sox pay half of Aceves' salary of $2.65 million.

Castro is Lavarnway without any power.  Why is that more attractive?  So he can conserve energy for his game-calling?