A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Doubront, Lava, Brentz, Nava & Cecchini for Stanton or Doubront, Salty, Brentz, Bogaerts, & Navafor Stanton

That's not nearly enough for the highly coveted Giancarlo Stanton, who is one year younger than Bryce Brentz, two years younger than Felix Doubront and Ryan Lavarnway, and nearly seven years younger than Daniel Nava.

I agree. It might take Morales, Aceves, Bogaerts, Brentz, and Cecchini... Maybe Lava too.

Any trade to get Stanton from the marlins will include Bogaerts JBJ and barnes for starters. Probably Doubie and WMB too...Thats too much IMO but might be the asking price or close to it...

Maybe Bogaerts, Bradley, Brentz, Lava, Owens, & Cecchini.

We keep WMB & Barnes, Webster & de la Rosa.

The Sox are going to trade Bogaerts, Bradley,  Brentz, Owens & Cecchini, arguably 5 of their top 8 prospects, for an outfielder?!?!?!?   Guys, get back to reality...this isn't fantasy baseball.  The Sox wouldn't give up that package for Felix Hernandez....Hill, no, they wouldn't...no chance...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Granted that it is a lot for one player, and I did not say that I would trade that much - but Stanton is not just AN OUTFIELDER!

Besides, this was a game, and I appreciate the speculation on what it would take to get him.

Probably far too much... However, prospects are just that and their potential is what makes them valuable, and the Sox should be willing to part with some of them for long-term young franchise players. I agree! Certainly not all of them for one player. If the Red Sox are indeed after Swisher AND C. Ross AND Napoli, then we can assume three-year contracts at a minimum and that 2 of the outfield slots are taken until the 2016 season. JBJ replaces Ellsbury after 2013 .... and then what?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

808--that is a logical analysis. Let's go a step further because Stanton is a franchise guy.

So that would suggest if Swish and Cody are signed there would not be a need the next three years for Brentz. If they signed Bourn for CF there would be no need for JBJ or Ells.

If they traded Ells to Texas and got Elvis for SS there would not be a need for Boggie and if you signed Haren, Jackson and Marcum there would not be a need for Lester, Buch and Doubie.

So here you go--Stanton, LoMo and a pitching prospect for Buch, Boggie, Brentz/ JBJ, Doubie, Iggy, Salty and the Sox include cash for a year of Buch.

Lester has gone for Myers. Ells for Andrus. Adding Stanton would be a huge plus for any team and his time under team control would be amazing.

Kalish CF, Ross LF, Stanton RF, Swish 1 B, Pedroia 2 B, Andrus SS, Middle 3 B, DRoss/Lava C, Ortiz DH.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I think that nice new stadium in Miami would be burnt to the ground if they traded away Stanton.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's always funny to read one guy say I offer way too much and another say the other team would be dumb to do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

The Sox are going to trade Bogaerts, Bradley,  Brentz, Owens & Cecchini, arguably 5 of their top 8 prospects, for an outfielder?!?!?!?   Guys, get back to reality...this isn't fantasy baseball.  The Sox wouldn't give up that package for Felix Hernandez....Hill, no, they wouldn't...no chance...

Giancarlo Stanton most likely has more trade value than Felix Hernandez:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-5-1/

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2

That Red Sox package approaches the Sox package the Mariners rejected in a reported July 2009 offer for Felix Hernandez:

http://seattletimes.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Thanks for the links Hill!

Hey, at least I didn't ask for one of the top 4!

My point is that some of the Red Sox prospects will be blocked for a while - maybe even an unacceptably long time. I would rather trade some of them to get a young impact player now.

Swisher, C. Ross, and Napoli are all good players, but we all agree that they are not great young players. 

I would rather see the Red Sox compete every season than talk about 1 or 2 year bridges.

However, if it is a bridge year, I hope they consider pulling up one of Brentz or JBJ in 2013 and seeing what they can do than signing two outfield positions to 3-4 year contracts to older players. For that matter, they should give de la Rosa a shot at a starting slot, as I am sure they will.

For that matter, although I prefer the seemingly untouchable Stanton, I would consider J Upton to upgrade the outfield. Are Brentz and JBJ better than J Upton? Certainly not today. I must admit that I have heard conflicting reports about J Upton's attitude on the field. That is the only thing that makes me hesitate about him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My point is that some of the Red Sox prospects will be blocked for a while - maybe even an unacceptably long time. I would rather trade some of them to get a young impact player now.

In a year or two, we will be facing a bunch of rule 5 eligible players and not enough slots to keep them all. In theory, we need to think about doing some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to improve the quality over quantity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In a year or two, we will be facing a bunch of rule 5 eligible players and not enough slots to keep them all. In theory, we need to think about doing some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to improve the quality over quantity.

I absolutely agree with that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Giancarlo Stanton most likely has more trade value than Felix Hernandez:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2012-trade-value-5-1/

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2

That Red Sox package approaches the Sox package the Mariners rejected in a reported July 2009 offer for Felix Hernandez:

http://seattletimes.com/html/marinersblog/2009591133_mariners_turned_down_three-way.html

I remember it well, Hill, but the Sox were in a different position then.  Believe me, in the unlikely event he becomes available again, no one is untouchable, but I don't think they would trade their entire top 5 right now for anyone who might realistically be available, including Stanton.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I remember it well, Hill, but the Sox were in a different position then.  Believe me, in the unlikely event he becomes available again, no one is untouchable, but I don't think they would trade their entire top 5 right now for anyone who might realistically be available, including Stanton.

That's a fair point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think with Martin signing with the Pirates--The Yanks sign Nap. The Sox go in a different direction--brought up by Bill Ripken tonight--Lester for Tulo and the Sox sign LaRoche for 1B.

Then  go all in for Josh Ham????? I'd rather see Harden, Marcum and Jackson but who knows the right move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tonight at midnight we have a whole new set of scenarios--NON-Tendered players--all new free agents.

The Sox have 11 players, I think  I read, that have to be offered contracts or released. This could result in a lot of trades between now and midnight.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/projected-arbitration-salaries-for-2013.html

There are a lot of good players on that list--in fact perhaps that's what Ben has been waiting for instead of just signing the FA we think he should sign.

A 1b on that list is Mark Reynolds--Nap is not the only guy that kills the Sox--Reynols has a Fenway swing--how many times have we heard that the last month. Prices may come down a bit for some of the FA especially if a guy like Ells is non tendered, unlikely, a little competition for Josh H and Michael Bourn

I'm really excited about the Sox prospects on this day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The action is about to heat up!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Pirates (of all teams) outbid the mighty Yankees.  Next thing we know, the Oakland A's will outbid the Red Sox for McCarthy.   LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The only Sox trade which makes any sense: Lester and Ellsbury and prospects to Seattle for Felix Hernandez and Smoak and an additional prospects. I could see other trades happening but they would need a lot of other things too happen to allow their being consumated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Also for all the talk about a Giancarlo Stanton trade forget it! Lurie would get killed in the Miami press if he dumped his only star left from last year and a viable all-star for years too come.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

The only Sox trade which makes any sense: Lester and Ellsbury and prospects to Seattle for Felix Hernandez and Smoak and an additional prospects. I could see other trades happening but they would need a lot of other things too happen to allow their being consumated.

That trade makes absolutely no sense for Seattle: one or two years of nearly 29-year-old Jon Lester and one year of 29-year-old Jacoby Ellsbury for two years of 26-year-old Felix Hernandez and four years of nearly 26-year-old Justin Smoak.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

That trade makes absolutely no sense for Seattle: one or two years of nearly 29-year-old Jon Lester and one year of 29-year-old Jacoby Ellsbury for two years of 26-year-old Felix Hernandez and four years of nearly 26-year-old Justin Smoak.

I didn't say that Seattle would be happy to make the trade. I said the only trade that makes sense for the Sox to make. Both Lester and Ellsbury would be instant fan favorites in Seattle, and they would be closer to their respective homes. as for Smoak he's done nothing at the MLB level of note but he does have potential. In essense it would really be a trade of a quality LHSP and a Starting CF for a RHSP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I didn't say that Seattle would be happy to make the trade. I said the only trade that makes sense for the Sox to make. Both Lester and Ellsbury would be instant fan favorites in Seattle, and they would be closer to their respective homes. as for Smoak he's done nothing at the MLB level of note but he does have potential. In essense it would really be a trade of a quality LHSP and a Starting CF for a RHSP.

For what it's worth, Jacoby Ellsbury reportedly now lives in Arizona, where he spent a year or two of his youth. Ellsbury went to high school in Oregon 285 miles from Safeco Field in Seattle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For what it's worth, Jacoby Ellsbury reportedly now lives in Arizona, where he spent a year or two of his youth. Ellsbury went to high school in Oregon 285 miles from Safeco Field in Seattle.

OK he's still a west coast guy and that would make Seattle about 2000 miles closer than Boston. Also he's still has relatives in the Eugene area. the trade will never happen it just makes the most sense for Boston,maybe they'll trade him to AZ for Justin Upton and a prospect.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury doesn't choose where he will be traded to.

He may end up signing with Seattle eventually, but if he is traded, he will go to the team that offers us the best deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

nomar for cabrera & mienkiewitch (sp?)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ellsbury doesn't choose where he will be traded to. He may end up signing with Seattle eventually, but if he is traded, he will go to the team that offers us the best deal.

Seattle GM Jack Zudriencik is open to a one-year rental, according to this report from Mariner beat reporter Shannon Drayer:"On the flip side, he said he would be open to another Cliff Lee-like, elite-player-with-one-year-remaining-on-the-contract deal."

http://mynorthwest.com/374/2140940/Jack-Zduriencik-ready-for-winter-meetings

In the December 2009 deal for lefthander Cliff Lee, the Mariners traded righthanders Phillipe Aumont and J.C. Ramirez (the M's third- and fifth-ranked prospects*) and outfielder Tyson Gillies. Baseball America ranked Aumont 83rd, 93rd and 93rd in its preseason Top100 prospect rankings in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

At the time of the trade, Lee was a 31-year-old coming off seasons of 6.6 and 7.2 WAR. Jacoby Ellsbury is a 29-year-old coming off seasons of 1.5 and 9.4 WAR.

What return could the Red Sox get from Seattle in exchange for one year of Jacoby Ellsbury?

* http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2009/267278.html

The Seattle farm system is significantly stronger today than it was in December 2009:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2009/267865.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Have to be a Sox trade?   I could see a Danny Espinosa-Denard Span deal going down...

Soooo... no point awarded?

Sections
Shortcuts