A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: A Game--Propose a trade and see who has a trade happen-or close to it.

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We have too many medical concerns to risk signing Jerrgens who is a free agent. There must be a reason his name hasn't been mentioned. I think if you signed him to a minor league contract for $2 M loaded with incentives with an invite to ST.

[/QUOTE]

44 Dont Think He Is A FA, Had Some Issues Past Season,

[/QUOTE]

56---I'm pretty sure he is.  Maybe there is a clause in there--I don't know...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

[/QUOTE]

There aren't many 26-year-old pitchers who have two sub-3.00 ERA seasons under their belts that get left out to dry on the free-agent market. In fact, for a pitcher like that to even reach free agency is rare, but that's where we are with right-hander Jair Jurrjens.

Jurrjens finished third in the 2008 NL Rookie of the Year race to catcher Geovany Soto and first baseman Joey Votto after going 13-10 with a 3.68 ERA and 1.37 WHIP in 31 starts for the Atlanta Braves. He then enjoyed an even better sequel, going 14-10 with a 2.60 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 34 starts during the 2009 season.

After a mediocre 2010 performance that saw him go 7-6 with a 4.64 ERA and 1.39 WHIP, Jurrjens rebounded in 2011 with a 13-6 record, 2.96 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 23 starts. Heading into 2012, it seemed like the mediocrity might have been an outlier for the talented Brave.

Except. ...

From 2008 to 2010, Jurrjens was barely striking out batters at an acceptable rate, never enjoying a year with more than 6.7 strikeouts per nine innings. He coupled that with walking more than three batters per nine innings in each year. That's not a recipe for success, and it looked like his peripherals caught up with him in 2010, when he saw a spike in home-run rate and no gains on any other fronts.

Jurrjens managed to get his walk rate in check in 2011 while bringing his home run rate back down, but alarmingly, his strikeout rate fell as well, with the Braves pitcher striking out just 5.3 batters per nine innings.

Things got worse in 2012. Jurrjens made 10 starts and one relief appearance, but only pitched 48 1/3 innings, lasting longer than five innings just three times. After four sub-par starts from Jurrjens, the Braves optioned him to the minor leagues.

Upon being recalled, Jurrjens pitched well in four starts heading into the All-Star break, allowing just six earned runs in 25 1/3 innings (good for a 2.13 ERA). It didn't last, as he surrendered a whopping 14 earned runs over 5 2/3 innings in his next two starts, his last two with the Braves before the team decided not to tender him a contract this offseason.

Jurrjens' task is now to convince teams that he's still a viable rotation candidate despite a low strikeout rate and the general ugliness of his 2012 stat line. He has to deal with his low-90s fastball losing a couple ticks over the last two years -- his average fastball was 88.6 mph, according to FanGraphs.

But teams always need pitching. The Royals are rumored to have some level of interest. Once the free-agent pitching dominoes fall where they will, a few other teams could leap into the Jurrjens market. However, he'll likely have to settle for a meager offer, even at his young age.

And that's too bad for a guy who looked so good, so young.

Potential suitors: Royals, Twins, Pirates, Orioles

Long shots: Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox, Marlins

My Bad 44......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

56---I think you're right--he knows how to pitch as a starter--I  think I would examine him closely and check out his character and see if the Sox could help him and give him an incentive laden contract; maybe $1 or 2 and get him on the 40 man roster if they can move some of the guys they have now. He could be a diamond in the rough. I say a good find.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ben you have to start making soem trades or you will have to DFA players.

Hassan next DFA then Butler or Vazquez or Carpenter or Pimental or Nava--you can't keep all these catchers...

Drew hasn't been added and Nap will be signed soon ???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Chicago White Sox are looking for a lefthanded hitter and will make righthanded starter Gavin Floyd available in trade, according to this tweet from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/282271654820851712

Jacoby Ellsbury has posted a WAR* of 18.7 since making his MLB debut in 2007 while Floyd has posted a WAR of 16.9 over the same period. The 29-year-old Ellsbury has been less consistent than the 29-year-old Floyd.

Ellsbury is projected to earn a 2013 salary of $8.1 million in his final year before free agency while Floyd will earn a 2013 salary of $9.5 million in his final year before free agency.

Does that provide the framework for a trade?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Baseball Reference has Ellsbury with a WAR of 14.4 and Floyd with a WAR of 13.9.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Chicago White Sox are looking for a lefthanded hitter and will make righthanded starter Gavin Floyd available in trade, according to this tweet from Danny Knobler of CBS Sports:

https://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/282271654820851712

Jacoby Ellsbury has posted a WAR* of 18.7 since making his MLB debut in 2007 while Floyd has posted a WAR of 16.9 over the same period. The 29-year-old Ellsbury has been less consistent than the 29-year-old Floyd.

Ellsbury is projected to earn a 2013 salary of $8.1 million in his final year before free agency while Floyd will earn a 2013 salary of $9.5 million in his final year before free agency.

Does that provide the framework for a trade?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Baseball Reference has Ellsbury with a WAR of 14.4 and Floyd with a WAR of 13.9.

[/QUOTE]

With Dempster now signed, I dont see any room for Floyd. But to answer your question, yes, it certainly is a good match for a trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

southie I still think there is room for Floyd if the Hanrahan trade transpires and expands to include Garrett Jones and possibly others--you may be talking Lester or Doubie as part of the package.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you trade Middlebrooks and one of our relievers for Justin Upton?

Is that a fair deal? WMB, Miller and a starting pitcher. We can slide Boggie over to third.

If Mike Olt is being discussed is he any better than WMB?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Casey Kotchman---he's not just a singles hitter. 12 HR's, 55 RBI---500 plate appearances.

He's been paid $3m the last two seasons.   .995 Fielding %---good duo at 1 b with Mauro.

FA no loss of prospects--perhaps $1.5 plus incentives. Even if you then sign Nap you've got a late inning replacement. If Ortiz doesn't answer the bell you have Nap as the DH.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Mike Olt is being discussed is he any better than WMB?

Will Middlebrooks and Mike Olt are big rigththand-hitting thirdbasemen born 13 days apart in 1988. Here are their minor league numbers:

WM 1706 PA, .276/.333/.454/.787, 128 BB (7.5%), 449 K (26.3%)

MO 1038 PA, .282/.391/.521/.912, 150 BB (14.5%), 253 K (24.6%)

Based on those numbers, it's clear who has a higher upside. It's hard to ignore a 125-point difference in OPS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

Casey Kotchman---he's not just a singles hitter. 12 HR's, 55 RBI---500 plate appearances.

He's been paid $3m the last two seasons.   .995 Fielding %---good duo at 1 b with Mauro.

FA no loss of prospects--perhaps $1.5 plus incentives. Even if you then sign Nap you've got a late inning replacement. If Ortiz doesn't answer the bell you have Nap as the DH.

[/QUOTE]

i like it...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Now that Nap is in the  fold what will be the next few moves:

1. The Sox will take  3 catchers to ST-Ross, Salty and Lavarnway.

2. I still feel Ells will be traded before opening Day--I think he will be moved to St. Louis.

3. Not a trade but Kotchman will be signed.

4. They have to thin out the pen look for Miller/Morales or Breslow and Ells to go th the Cards.

5. I could see Carp or Smoak or Kubel coming to the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The other option that hasn't been mentioed in a month or two is bringing Justin Masterson back to Boston. Perhaps Doubie and an A prospect for Justin or straight up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm surprised no team has signed Marcum yet.  

Marcum is a consistent pitcher who has experience in the AL East (while he was a Blue Jay).  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Ice Cream---I have heard rumors but nothing solid. I had read if the Sox move Doubrount he would be a logical sign---now he may take a one year deal which may fit the Sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Now the Sox have some choices that need to be made:

Nap has to be put on the 40 Man Roster---there are no open slots. Someone needs to be released, Traded or DFA'd---you select Hassan to be DFA'd  OR

Trade  Ells, Doubie or Miller and a prospect  for David Murphy and  Derek Holland.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Nap has to be put on the 40 Man Roster---there are no open slots. Someone needs to be released, Traded or DFA'd---you select Hassan to be DFA'd  OR

Trade  Ells, Doubie or Miller and a prospect  for David Murphy and  Derek Holland.

I do think the Sox could and should explore a deal with Ellsbury, given the return teams are getting for 1 year outfielders. Choo got Bauer. Morse got Cole plus, etc.

Ellsbury will certainly not be going to St. Louis, however, barring a mjor injury on their roster. As it stands, the Cardinals have a full complement of outfielders with Holliday in LF, Jon Jay in Cf and Carlos Beltran in RF, and top prospect Oscar Tavares waiting in the wings.

There certainly are teams that would be interested in Ellsbury, but possibly not to the extent where the Sox should consider the move.

If you read anywhere the Sox should move Doubront to accommodate Marcum, it was probably my thread “Napoli, Doubront and Ennui,” which ran through several scenatios, most of which would have been foolish and all of which assumed Napoli would not sign. The thread is somewhat outdated now, and the likelihood the Sox move Doubront is actually fairly slim. But, hey, the thread was all really about generating any actual baseball-themed message board discussion than any predictions of the future.

The Sox do have a bullpen logjam which might be alleviated through a trade. Even with Bard and Tazawa having an option left, the team still has Hanrahan, Uehara, Bailey, Aceves, Miller, Breslow, Mortenson and Morales vying for (possibly?) 7 bullpen spots. None have any options left. So either the Sox carry 8 relief pitchers and have a 3 man bench (Ross, Ciriaco, Gomes), or there is another deal coming. While I would like a LHH left fielder to upgrade over Nava, I do not anticipate anything. More likely, Kalish takes over sometime in June or so. I do have faith in Kalish.

So most likely, the Sox will deal a reliever for minor league talent or a backup 1B who plays other positions. Mortenson is probably the least effective reliever, and if any go, he would be my choice. If the Sox only ask for a bench bat to play 1B and another position, it might happen if they do not aim too high. I mean, why give up more for a bench guy? If the Sox want a minor leaguer with some potential, more likely Miller or Breslow is moved to a team needed LHRP (Washington?). But I will assume it is Mortenson, and the deal will be for a player who meets the following criteria.

1. Plays 1B and another position

2. Hits left-handed, as Gomes, Ross and Ciriaco all do not

3. Can be acquired for Mortenson, who is not exactly Sandy Koufax. Also this means no recently signed free agents.

Mike Carp certainly fits the first two points, but might not be available so cheaply.If he is, he is immediately top choice. Some more realistic names who might be available include Tyler Colvin, if Colorado wants Mortenson back and the Sox do not mind a hitter who cannot hit outside of Coors. I would consider Greg Dobbs, Laynce “Bruises, Cuts and” Nix and Matt LaPorta to all meet the criteria. If the Sox would accept a right-hande hitter, players such as Brett Pill, Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks, Nick Evans and Brandon Laird, among others, all become reasonable options.

Not a lot of sexy names, I am afraid…

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I do think the Sox could and should explore a deal with Ellsbury, given the return teams are getting for 1 year outfielders. Choo got Bauer. Morse got Cole plus, etc.

Ellsbury will certainly not be going to St. Louis, however, barring a mjor injury on their roster. As it stands, the Cardinals have a full complement of outfielders with Holliday in LF, Jon Jay in Cf and Carlos Beltran in RF, and top prospect Oscar Tavares waiting in the wings.

There certainly are teams that would be interested in Ellsbury, but possibly not to the extent where the Sox should consider the move.

If you read anywhere the Sox should move Doubront to accommodate Marcum, it was probably my thread “Napoli, Doubront and Ennui,” which ran through several scenatios, most of which would have been foolish and all of which assumed Napoli would not sign. The thread is somewhat outdated now, and the likelihood the Sox move Doubront is actually fairly slim. But, hey, the thread was all really about generating any actual baseball-themed message board discussion than any predictions of the future.

The Sox do have a bullpen logjam which might be alleviated through a trade. Even with Bard and Tazawa having an option left, the team still has Hanrahan, Uehara, Bailey, Aceves, Miller, Breslow, Mortenson and Morales vying for (possibly?) 7 bullpen spots. None have any options left. So either the Sox carry 8 relief pitchers and have a 3 man bench (Ross, Ciriaco, Gomes), or there is another deal coming. While I would like a LHH left fielder to upgrade over Nava, I do not anticipate anything. More likely, Kalish takes over sometime in June or so. I do have faith in Kalish.

So most likely, the Sox will deal a reliever for minor league talent or a backup 1B who plays other positions. Mortenson is probably the least effective reliever, and if any go, he would be my choice. If the Sox only ask for a bench bat to play 1B and another position, it might happen if they do not aim too high. I mean, why give up more for a bench guy? If the Sox want a minor leaguer with some potential, more likely Miller or Breslow is moved to a team needed LHRP (Washington?). But I will assume it is Mortenson, and the deal will be for a player who meets the following criteria.

3. Can be acquired for Mortenson, who is not exactly Sandy Koufax. Also this means no recently signed free agents.

Mike Carp certainly fits the first two points, but might not be available so cheaply.If he is, he is immediately top choice. Some more realistic names who might be available include Tyler Colvin, if Colorado wants Mortenson back and the Sox do not mind a hitter who cannot hit outside of Coors. I would consider Greg Dobbs, Laynce “Bruises, Cuts and” Nix and Matt LaPorta to all meet the criteria. If the Sox would accept a right-hande hitter, players such as Brett Pill, Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks, Nick Evans and Brandon Laird, among others, all become reasonable options.

Even if we trade Mortensen for a LH'd hitter (OF/1B), we'll still need someone on the DL to get to 25 players. Although this is very likely, I'd rather see us trade 3 guys that don't fit into our future plans  for one more quality guy under team control for 2+ years.

Easier said than done as many teams are struggling to keep good players on their 25 and 40 man rosters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Seattle really wanted Upton, and I know Ellsbury's 1 year is not close to the value of Upton's 3 years, but the mariners would like the draft pick after jacoby walks. The M's also might want Salty or Lava now that Jaso was dealt. They have some sweet prospects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

BenC has to develop some interest in the people he wants to move. He can't sit back and expect GM's to come to him. Realistically unless he can find someone interested in say : Salty, Ells and Mort/Morales  for Carp, Montero and a prospect.

My concern is we are talking about potentially two big power starters; Nap and Ortiz that are if's and buts for the season.

Ben has to turn salesman soon or he will be DFA'ing players that might have value to clubs and will be picked off the waiver wire for no return.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BenC has to develop some interest in the people he wants to move. He can't sit back and expect GM's to come to him. Realistically unless he can find someone interested in say : Salty, Ells and Mort/Morales  for Carp, Montero and a prospect.

My concern is we are talking about potentially two big power starters; Nap and Ortiz that are if's and buts for the season.

Ben has to turn salesman soon or he will be DFA'ing players that might have value to clubs and will be picked off the waiver wire for no return.

He'll end up doing what all GMs do: create phantom DL assignments to put off the decisions until the decisions are made for him- by someone really getting hurt or someone doing so poorly that it is clear who goes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Even if we trade Mortensen for a LH'd hitter (OF/1B), we'll still need someone on the DL to get to 25 players. Although this is very likely, I'd rather see us trade 3 guys that don't fit into our future plans  for one more quality guy under team control for 2+ years.

Easier said than done as many teams are struggling to keep good players on their 25 and 40 man rosters.

I do disagree that someone would need to be on the DL for the Sox, unless you are assuming that Tazawa is automatically on the team. As he has an option left, there certainly is the possibility he starts the season in AAA. Whether or not people on this board feel he does not deserve to is immaterial. The opening day bullpen if everyone is healthy does currently have 8 other names who have options left with Hanrahan, Bailey, Breslow, Morales, Miller, Uehara, Aceves and Mortenson. (Technically, Aceves has an option left, but the guy can barely tolerate being demoted from closer to setup, so a demotion to AAA would certainly be outside of his range.) Of those 8 names, Mortenson is far and away the most expendable, and if he is dealt and the other 7 comprise the bullpen, I have no issue with that. And Tazawa can then step in the second someone is injured, which will most definitely happen.

I would not be surprised if Tazawa was held down at AAA until a spot opened up for him.

And if you look at it realistically, these guys will each pitch maybe 10 to 12 innings per month. So if Tazawa comes up in, say, June, the Sox will have only missed out on him for 20 to 24 IP. That is really not a whole lot when you consider the depth the team should have in there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do disagree that someone would need to be on the DL for the Sox, unless you are assuming that Tazawa is automatically on the team. As he has an option left, there certainly is the possibility he starts the season in AAA. Whether or not people on this board feel he does not deserve to is immaterial. The opening day bullpen if everyone is healthy does currently have 8 other names who have options left with Hanrahan, Bailey, Breslow, Morales, Miller, Uehara, Aceves and Mortenson. (Technically, Aceves has an option left, but the guy can barely tolerate being demoted from closer to setup, so a demotion to AAA would certainly be outside of his range.) Of those 8 names, Mortenson is far and away the most expendable, and if he is dealt and the other 7 comprise the bullpen, I have no issue with that. And Tazawa can then step in the second someone is injured, which will most definitely happen.

I would not be surprised if Tazawa was held down at AAA until a spot opened up for him.

And if you look at it realistically, these guys will each pitch maybe 10 to 12 innings per month. So if Tazawa comes up in, say, June, the Sox will have only missed out on him for 20 to 24 IP. That is really not a whole lot when you consider the depth the team should have in there.

I'm fine with Taz starting in AAA, especially since I don't see us significantly having a chance at a ring this year, but he looks to be good enough to be on the 25-man roster.

If we want to make a serious push for 2013 (as many here think we already are contenders), we could trade 2 pitchers for one better pitcher and have Taz on the 25 man roster from day 1. That would improve 2 slots with one move. Or, we could trade 2 pen arms for a decent prospect or player under team control for 3+ years and help our future while giving Taz a full shot at the bigs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And, if Bard looks real good in ST, then we have 10 decent or better relievers looking at 7 slots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And, if Bard looks real good in ST, then we have 10 decent or better relievers looking at 7 slots.

True, but Bard also has options remaining...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Stanton would clear up our problems;-)

Ells (plus cash), WMB, Morales, Aceves, and one of Holt/Ciriaco/Iggy

If Iggy survives the trade and does well in spring training, move Drew to third. Have Bogaerts move up either half way through the season or in September.

Get K Morales or Morse next year for 1st.

Sections
Shortcuts