A game: "What's Cherington's Secret Deal"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

A game: "What's Cherington's Secret Deal"

Ben Cherington left the Winter Meetings saying that he was close to a deal that hasn't been discussed in the media, but he's not ready to announce it yet.  

What's your guess?

I'd say it has to be a starting pitcher.  I'm looking at the Cubs, and guessing it's not Matt Garza.  I'll wing it and guess it's Jeff Samardzija (based on nothing at all).

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: A game:

Two words:  King.  Felix.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My guess is that he's making his best incomeptent effort to pay Lee 24M a year and spend down young talent to get the great pleasure of doing so.

[/QUOTE]

Lee trade was discussed in the media.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I'm going to say Rick Porcello.  Iglesias, Melancon, and OF low level prospect for Porcello and a prospect 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Probably to sign Hamilton once Rangers signed Grienke.  If Rangers lose out the deal, then Hamitlon will sign with the Rangers, and then this announcement will be cancelled.  

So I think that is why Ben is just waiting to see what is going to happen to Grienke!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Could it have just been the Koji deal? When did he say this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Hamilton would be my guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Don't think it was the Koji signing.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/12/red_sox_gm_ben.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If your right hope it's only 4yrs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Dempster or Pavano.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben Cherington left the Winter Meetings saying that he was close to a deal that hasn't been discussed in the media, but he's not ready to announce it yet.  

What's your guess?

I'd say it has to be a starting pitcher.  I'm looking at the Cubs, and guessing it's not Matt Garza.  I'll wing it and guess it's Jeff Samardzija (based on nothing at all).

[/QUOTE]

Whatever it is, I think it's a safe bet it will be a head scratcher!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If your right hope it's only 4yrs.

[/QUOTE]

Rangers have already said they won't go more than 4 yrs...why would he come to the last place Sox for 4 yrs and leave a probable 1st place club?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reportedly and admittedly, he met with Hamilton and his wife, on Monday. I would think, and hope, it's pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

What's your guess?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Alderson has come way down on his price tag for RA Dickey seen as how the Mets and Dickey are more than 10 mil apart on a 2yr extension? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Something I also read today indicated the BC has nothing in the works regarding starting pitching. I am operating under the assumption that Uehara was the deal he had in place but could not yet announce.

That said, the Hamilton agreement if Texas withdraws from their position of wanting to sign him makes sense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I think it was that Japanese Reliever that story was written this morning then a few hours later he was signed. So I assume it was him. If not I'd guess it's something pretty big. Hamilton, a trade for a pitcher maybe dealing Lester or Ellsbury ...Something!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

We need pitchers, pronto.....enough with the thirty something bashers.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

A trade for Gavin Floyd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Dice K.

But don't worry they locked him up for only 3 yrs at 39 million so for some reason they think they got a deal.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

What's your guess?

[/QUOTE]

I think the majority of us probably agree our team is far from being a contender with our recent moves.  In my opinion we still need starting pitching and another big bat as we did going into the meetings.  Here are my reasons .....

#1 We signed Gomes and Victorino to replace Ross and the bunch who played LF last season.  No major improvement thus far, especially if we trade Ells and fail to sign a guy like Hamilton.  Trading Ells for a pitcher and using Victorino in CF ,while signing Cody or Swisher to join Gomes doesn't help much outside of our SP. 

#2 Some fans are still drooling over an Iggy/Salty combination in the IF.  If this also happens without a "Hamilton type" bat added to the lineup our team may at best make there way back to 3rd or fourth place.  If we trade Salty and go with a Nap/Ross combo until we decide where Lav fits. it may increase our chances a bit. 

#3 At the moment anyway our SP is mediocre at best.  Clay and Jon having career years would help but a real long shot.  Lackey?  Ok everyone knows I don't believe he will ever have success in our division so lets leave it at that and hope I'm wrong.  Doubront or Tazawa?  Still hopeful possibilities but this remains to be seen.  Guys like De La Rosa ande Barnes make our future look a bit brighter but we need a top starter or two in the meantime.

#4 I don't believe Napoli will or should be our primary IB with Gomez.  I would rather see us pick up Swisher to add depth at 1B and in the OF. 

#5 Who else could possibly pick up the slack at IB, or replace Middy if he hits the DL again?  Can anyone say Yoooouk?

The bottom line is, if we can increase our depth at various positions and vastly improve our pitching stats we have a chance. 

We still have a long way to go but could still get there.