A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shmoozini. Show shmoozini's posts

"I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward. God didn't have it in the cards for us... For me, I'm a firm believer in God and God has a plan and it wasn't in God's plan for us to be in the playoffs... It's always injuries. Any team that doesn't make the playoffs and is supposed to, it's because of injuries. Plain and simple... there's no such thing as a bad stretch of games. Every game is an individual game."

Do ya really think it's possible that the Big Guy is not a fan of Evil Empire North?  Is that why he silenced A-Gon's impressive first-half bat?

Do ya' think MLB needs to go to non-guaranteed contracts--like the NFL?  Fat chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss

he also blamed the travel schedule, way to man up dude.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss:
    [QUOTE]A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss "I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward. God didn't have it in the cards for us... For me, I'm a firm believer in God and God has a plan and it wasn't in God's plan for us to be in the playoffs... It's always injuries. Any team that doesn't make the playoffs and is supposed to, it's because of injuries. Plain and simple... there's no such thing as a bad stretch of games. Every game is an individual game." Do ya really think it's possible that the Big Guy is not a fan of Evil Empire North?  Is that why he silenced A-Gon's impressive first-half bat? Do ya' think MLB needs to go to non-guaranteed contracts--like the NFL?  Fat chance.
    Posted by shmoozini[/QUOTE]

All teams without exception have their share of injuries during the season. Some teams just do a better job of overcoming the injuries than others do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If God were taking sides, wouldn't the Angels have won the West?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They did have a brutal schedule.  They were beset with injuries.  But, no, God had nothing to do with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Yeah.... God gives a crap about who makes the playoffs when 7 million children die each year before the age of five.....I think God has enough on his plate to be meddling with the outcomes of millionaire's sporting events.

Message to A-Gon: There is no god; never has been. And if there were a god, it would be an embarassment to have him fixing sports games while neglecting the ocean of human suffering in which he pretends to be the only source of relief.

You lost because of bad pitching, injuries, and lack of clutch hitting. You lost because Ortiz tried to stretch a single to a double when he shouldn't have, and you lost because someone tripped on the baseline when crawford hit his double.

Just goes to show you, we don't pay these people to think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I'm sure God is really concerned about a game.
    That was as weak an excuse as I've ever heard.
    It's like the football players who start yelling," I owe everything to God!".
    Yeah, like he takes sides and chose you to shine.
    Save me from this baloney!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss:
    [QUOTE]If God were taking sides, wouldn't the Angels have won the West?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

lol, that was a good one. The Angels would win every yr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cock_Landers. Show Cock_Landers's posts

A GONE SUCKS!!!!!!! MT PWNS THAT GOSPEL SUCKING POSER!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss:
    [QUOTE]A-Gon Blames God, Injuries for the Loss "I'm a firm believer that God has a plan and it wasn't in his plan for us to move forward. God didn't have it in the cards for us... For me, I'm a firm believer in God and God has a plan and it wasn't in God's plan for us to be in the playoffs... It's always injuries. Any team that doesn't make the playoffs and is supposed to, it's because of injuries. Plain and simple... there's no such thing as a bad stretch of games. Every game is an individual game." Do ya really think it's possible that the Big Guy is not a fan of Evil Empire North?  Is that why he silenced A-Gon's impressive first-half bat? Do ya' think MLB needs to go to non-guaranteed contracts--like the NFL?  Fat chance.
    Posted by shmoozini[/QUOTE]
     I think God has better things to do then worry about who wins WC, a total cop -out excuse from A-Gon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I don't blame A-gon but I did notice that he finally ran out a ground ball for a base hit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

This really bothered me last night. You saw Francona devastated, Pedroia the same, Crawford taking responsibility - and then Gonzalez calmly sits down and just lays it on God?!

If you want to believe in some kind of fella who sits up in the sky and loves you, fine. But don't tell me he cares who makes the playoffs . . .

This is a lack of a sense of personal responsibility that is one of the things that I can't srand about some religious types.

Then the crap about the schedule! he says it's not fair . . . Is a 163 million dollar payroll fair?! There are advantages and disadvantages to being in a big market. Play the games, nothing else matters.

I'm glad he plays for our team because he's a hell of a first baseman, but I'm really beginning not to like him much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Obviously not the smartest thing to say, but what was he gonna say, "the starting pitching sucked?"  I mean Crawford is a much easier target he made by far the most on the team and was arguably the worst position player among the starters.  It was easy for him..."I was terrible"

Agon was bad the last week of the season and his powers numbers were down a bit, but he had a strong first year in Boston, career year in hits, OBP, hits, and runs scored.  A few extra HR's would have been nice, but he didn't have the obvious "I sucked this year" excuse Crawford did.  And he's not gonna throw anyone else under the bus either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

how about "we did this to ourselves". That's what Theo said and he was right and accountable.

It's not just a stupid thing to say, it's an irresponsible and stupid way to see the world.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

And 6 of the last 10 games were against the O's while Tampa finished up with the Yankees?  I think the schedule "gods" were quite friedly when it counted Mr. Gonzalez!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

What sucks is much of negativity in Boston sports.

Chastising a man for using his faith as his metaphorical way of reflecting back on a failed season is in a word lame.

Lot's of great things about our sports culture as Boston fans but grace in defeat isn't one of them and it is all the worse IMO now that we have been spoiled by an unprecedented run of good fortune in the 4 major sports in the last 10 years.

Hating on A-Gon for saying it was not in God's plan is low and folks I am not a very religious person who would ever say such a thing. And even I can recognize it is crass when others do.

Just my take

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]This really bothered me last night. You saw Francona devastated, Pedroia the same, Crawford taking responsibility - and then Gonzalez calmly sits down and just lays it on God?! If you want to believe in some kind of fella who sits up in the sky and loves you, fine. But don't tell me he cares who makes the playoffs . . . This is a lack of a sense of personal responsibility that is one of the things that I can't srand about some religious types. Then the crap about the schedule! he says it's not fair . . . Is a 163 million dollar payroll fair?! There are advantages and disadvantages to being in a big market. Play the games, nothing else matters. I'm glad he plays for our team because he's a hell of a first baseman, but I'm really beginning not to like him much.
    Posted by wherescreamingcomesfrom[/QUOTE]

It's really unbelievable to me that people care what professional athletes say.  They don't get paid to think. Who cares what they say and what their religious or philosophical beliefs are?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]If God were taking sides, wouldn't the Angels have won the West?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Good point.  I mean the Rays had to drop the 'Devil' before God let them win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shmoozini. Show shmoozini's posts

What sucks is much of negativity in Boston sports. Chastising a man for using his faith as his metaphorical way of reflecting back on a failed season is in a word lame. Lot's of great things about our sports culture as Boston fans but grace in defeat isn't one of them and it is all the worse IMO now that we have been spoiled by an unprecedented run of good fortune in the 4 major sports in the last 10 years. Hating on A-Gon for saying it was not in God's plan is low and folks I am not a very religious person who would ever say such a thing. And even I can recognize it is crass when others do. Just my take
    Posted by fivekatz

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]And 6 of the last 10 games were against the O's while Tampa finished up with the Yankees?  I think the schedule "gods" were quite friedly when it counted Mr. Gonzalez!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Good point. Not many on this board will be willing to admit that about the schedule.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Katz, I disagree (obviously).
    First, I don't see a metaphor - I see a man that attributed his teams failure to something beyond their control (in two instances). I think that's a cop out.

What is more, I think it is typical of certain modes of religious belief. It is also true of certain philosophical positions, I'm thinking of some interpretations of Heideggar.

I am not one to frequently bash players, and I agree that there is far too much negativity on this board and elsewhere in Boston. But, what I saaw last night was a man insulating himself from his own responsability while many of his teammates took it headon.

I rarely disagree with you, but I think that what Gonzalez did was lame.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shmoozini. Show shmoozini's posts

Not "hating" on A-Gon, F-Katz.  Just lamenting his failure to take personal responsibility and his willingness to lay this disaster at the "feet" of some mystical being, who, no doubt, was preoccupied elsewhere this baseball season (and every other, for that matter).  I don't begrudge those who place faith at the center of their lives and thereby make it easier to put life in perspective for themselves.  Nonetheless, players making the sign of the cross and reaching to the heavens in gratitude after jacking one over the Green Monster are selling their own powers short.  I would find it far more appealing if A-Gon acknowledged that, despite his gaudy numbers, he fell far below the Mendoza line against the Yankees and the Rays--when it really counted.  Give me Jacoby or Pedey any day.

That said, the outcome to this Boston baseball season was a much-needed bucket of cold water in the face.  The fans and the Sox management are caught up in a virtuous circle with the fans bloodthirsty for victory after victory and management extracting obscene amounts of money from the fans to give them what they want.  I've been to nearly all the MLB parks, and none comes near the average cost of taking in a game at Fenway.  Management grabs the money and spends it like drunken sailors--throwing it at players who couldn't hold a candle to many of their Sox predecessors in the past 50 years, who likely didn't make $1M in an entire career.

I often hear fans brush the large contract issue aside, claiming "it's not my money."  Well, in many cases, it is.  In the thirst to build repeating champions, JHenry and Epstein shovel out extraordinary amounts of "our" money to relatively marginal players--and that includes Crawford, whose most appealing skill was his speed.  That's "was."  As long as they are winning, complaints are few.

Re-examing the strategy means rethinking player acquisition.  Andrew Friedman has built one of the most interesting MLB teams in Tampa/StPete with less than a quarter of the Sox payroll.  His farm system has produced some of the best pitchers in baseball and we have, of course, seen what their position players can do an over-stuffed, entitled bunch of whiners playing out of Boston.

Ya think it's time to pause and take a few steps back?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Agone has now been part of 3 late season collapses.  He must think God really has it out for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If A-Gon wants to believe that an eternal, all-powerful being that created the universe cares whether or not the 2011 Red Sox go to the playoffs, then let him. Yes, it's lame to ascribe invisible, supernatural causes to every little up or down in our lives (especially something as inconsequential in the big scheme of things as a sports event), but I'd be a lot more incensed if Crawford or Lackey said something like this. Crawford took responsibility, and he should. But Gonzalez hit .318 with a .977 OPS in September... there are many people you could blame for the collapse, but I don't think he's one of them. So really, what do you want him to say? He could have said "Sorry, I tried my best, but my teammates really stunk it up"...but that wouldn't have been as interesting of a story.

If Gonzo continues to hit the way he did this season, he can believe whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If A-Gon wants to believe that an eternal, all-powerful being that created the universe cares whether or not the 2011 Red Sox go to the playoffs, then let him. Yes, it's lame to ascribe invisible, supernatural causes to every little up or down in our lives (especially something as inconsequential in the big scheme of things as a sports event), but I'd be a lot more incensed if Crawford or Lackey said something like this. Crawford took responsibility, and he should. But Gonzalez hit .318 with a .977 OPS in September... there are many people you could blame for the collapse, but I don't think he's one of them. So really, what do you want him to say? He could have said "Sorry, I tried my best, but my teammates really stunk it up"...but that wouldn't have been as interesting of a story. If Gonzo continues to hit the way he did this season, he can believe whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.
    Posted by Flapjack07

Agone makes Papi look like Usain Bolt, so having a .318 average doesn't let him off the hook.  His power numbers were poor in the second half and it is well documented he didn't perform well against the Yankees or Rays throughout the season.  I can't really think of more than maybe 1 big hit (HR at Fenway against Balt) that he had in the last 10 games.  There is plenty of blame for him or God or whoever is in charge of Adrian Gonzalez.