A-Gon Lacking in the clutch department???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

A-Gon Lacking in the clutch department???

I dont know if its just me, but has anyone else noticed that A-Gon seems to come up in a lot of clutch situations with a chance to swing the game, and pounds the ball into the ground to the right side, or hits a fly ball to center.....? Still driving in a run but doing it very softly and closing the door for a big inning......Example: Last night, bases loaded 1 out, swinging early in the count against a guy struggling to throw strikes and grounding weakly to 1st. Don't get me wrong, he is obviously a great hitter, and has put up nice numbers....but it just seems that right now I'd rather have Ells or Pedroia up there with the game on the line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee---crawful. Show thee---crawful's posts

Re: A-Gon Lacking in the clutch department???

it's not just you; a-gon, since the all-star break, has become BOGGS-LIKE.
    in other words, maintaining a respectable BA without coming up with a lot of production anywhere else. terrible in the clutch.
    he can forget about the MVP.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

That's where you're wrong - Gonzalez is NOT a great hitter.  Great hitters hit at critcal points in the game.  He does not swing a strong bat.  I do not mean homeruns, what I mean is sharp solid line drives into outfield gaps.  This is why I continue to post he is a "numbers" hitter and by that I mean his average is what he's all about.  If his performance at critical points in the games this season were published I expect we'd see what I mean.

I don't know the rule specifically but I can't believe he gets an RBI for dribbling a weak grounder to first base for an out.  Since the bases were loaded the run comes in only by default.

One final thought...  Disagree with me if you will but Gonzalez's what-me-worry attitude is exactly the same as the California boy Drew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The guy is htting 337 with RISP and 355 in Late/Close situations....is he as Hot as he was Pre All Star game .....no....but he was unconcious then....he has been great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What gets me is that players gets congratulations for "driving in" a run one a weak ground ball w/ less than 2 men out and the bases juiced.

Sure, in a game +/- a run that works.  But when we are down by 4 we need more than just a productive out from our best hitter....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Did anyone think he'd have less HR than Elsbury? Or that Pedey would be on his heals in terms of Dingers. Ortiz ahead of him. I mean i know his average is outstanding, RBIs are good but i thought thuis guy was going to hit 40 hr's. maybe paid to much attention to the usual hype. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon Lacking in the clutch department???:
    Did anyone think he'd have less HR than Elsbury? Or that Pedey would be on his heals in terms of Dingers. Ortiz ahead of him. I mean i know his average is outstanding, RBIs are good but i thought thuis guy was going to hit 40 hr's. maybe paid to much attention to the usual hype. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

yeah.  instead of the hype, you should have looked at what he has actually done in his career.  Only once had he put up big dinger numbers.  And, sure, you can talk Petco factor, but being that his power is inside out-rope kind of power, you had to figure the monstah was going to taketh away more that it would giveth in his case (but look at his doubles!).  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I like Gonzo but I don't think we should have cleaned out the farm to get him plus I am not comfortable with this amount of the contract extension

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Ya think!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Posted separately but good copy & paste here I think. Our current demise started 9/1 when when we were 1 1/2 ahead of Yankees and Agon with the bases loaded got called out on a 3rd strike(whether it was a ball or not as Mariano usually gets favorable calls). I do sense he gets a lot of hits but not at clutch time but as I say below, with Beltre & VMartinez, we might not have needed to depend upon him so much !!!

"Could Have, Should Have"....

Ok, Ok, Monday Morning quarterback I know but I need do some venting this morning.  We should have kept Beltre & V. Martinez. And, yes, gone after Agon too as we did. But Crawford was a mistake. We wouldn’t have had his $142 Mil as some of this would have been needed to keep Adrian & Victor. Youkils, no longer looks like an intimidating Hells Angel when he comes to bat but would have been an adequate backup for 1st & 3rd Base, a pinch hitter & DH.  So, instead of Crawford, we’d could have put  Reddick in LF and used McDonald too and maybe even have kept Mike Cameron.  JD Drew, not the superstar we expected, would be more desirable than Crawford, I think. Ok, when he’s hurt, we’d use McDonald & Cameron. With some extra cash from the Crawford aka Manchurian Candidate, we might have been more aggressive and gone after Hunter Pence  for a great hitting outfielder. Even with some more extra cash, we might after pursued Cliff Lee & wouldn’t be in the sad pitching situation we are in now.

OK, dreaming, fantasizing, I know, but isn’t life full of “should haves, could haves ??? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

The reality is that they have made multiple mistakes in the past few years. Jason Bay was a very production LF and a RH bat...I know he has been lagging in NY, but he proved a productive player in Boston. No need for Crawford signing. Then we trade for V-Mart, which would be ok if they had signed him to be their 1B....instead they arent willing to pay 12 mil a yr for 4 yrs for a hitter who will be .300/15-20 HR/90+ RBI and can Catch, play 1B and DH. And it looks like Masterson is a possible number one, if not a top level #2 SP.

Another thing that makes me want to cry....if they hadnt made the V-Mart trade and put Masterson in the rotation.....maybe we dont have John Lackey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

with 43 at bats in September, AGON is batting .302 for the Month with a slugging percentage of 605, which aint too shabby.  He cooled off in August after a scorching June and July when he batted .404 and .373.

He's on pace to hit 6 HRs this month, which is pretty good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

I am a little worried about A-gon's clutch hitting at this point, but the playoffs, should they make it, will be the most telling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to A-Gon Lacking in the clutch department???:
    I dont know if its just me, but has anyone else noticed that A-Gon seems to come up in a lot of clutch situations with a chance to swing the game, and pounds the ball into the ground to the right side, or hits a fly ball to center.....? Still driving in a run but doing it very softly and closing the door for a big inning......Example: Last night, bases loaded 1 out, swinging early in the count against a guy struggling to throw strikes and grounding weakly to 1st. Don't get me wrong, he is obviously a great hitter, and has put up nice numbers....but it just seems that right now I'd rather have Ells or Pedroia up there with the game on the line.
    Posted by gbman87603

Please, out of all the guys who are underachieving don't single out a player leading the league in batting after coming off labrum surgery and playing his first full season in the AL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

This is the Jim Rice arguement re-visited. A-GON is not the problem with Sox, it goes back to pitching, pitching, pitching, and Theo's inaction to addres obvious needs at trade deadline. The Sox after spending 160+ million on roster, then went on the cheap to fill the leaks that came up during season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

with 43 at bats in September, AGON is batting .302 for the Month with a slugging percentage of 605, which aint too shabby.  He cooled off in August after a scorching June and July when he batted .404 and .373. He's on pace to hit 6 HRs this month, which is pretty good.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Pace shmace doesn't put bread on the table.  All the "numbers" in the world doesn't change the fact the guy has not produced during critical points in the game and that my friend is what loses games!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

it's not just you; a-gon, since the all-star break, has become BOGGS-LIKE. in other words, maintaining a respectable BA without coming up with a lot of production anywhere else. terrible in the clutch. he can forget about the MVP.
    Posted by thee---crawful

You hit the nail on the ahead.  Keep up the good work!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

"...don't single out a player leading the league in batting after coming off labrum surgery and playing his first full season in the AL...." --craze4sox
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In one sentence, you gave him an injury card and a new guy in the league card. Any $22MM + guy had better be a big game player---it seems he's come up very small against the Yanks and Rays in situations where you needed him to come up much bigger.

Smooth hitter and fielder but not a player who grabs a game by the throat and takes control

Sections
Shortcuts