A-Gone for MVP.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

A-Gone for MVP.

I know it's early, but let the campeign begin. Besides this place has too much negative going on anyway.

Gonzalez is leading our team with a .342 average, 9 home runs, and 41 RBIs in just 46 games! That RBI total projects out to an unreal (and therefore unlikely) 144 RBIs. I know we had huge hopes after the trade but 41RBI's in 46 games is sort of ridiculous. He's scored 30 times too, which is 2 more than our leadoff man Jacoby Elsbury, and that number be higher too if our third base coach stops trying to wave him around first to home. By the way, 30 runs in 46 games projects out to 106 for those keeping track.

By this point I stop pretty much whatever I'm doing to watch Gonzalez bat, this guy is a beast you never know when  he's going to go on a streak where anything but a home run a day or 4-4 night is a disappointment?

Right now compared to the rest of the AL he's...

4th in OPS.
    4th in slugging
    3rd in average
    1st in RBI's
    6th in OBP
    6th in Home Runs
    1st in Hits

If he can climb the Home Run ranks he should be a lock for second in MVP voting. Let's cheer him on folks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Re: A-Gone for MVP.

Maybe we should all chant "MVP" incessantly everytime Adrian goes to the foul line.  Ya know, something original.

It is May, can please hold off on the awards for a few months?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now, he'd be a shoo-in.  Plus I think his approach to the plate is helping his teammates, who are learning to go opposite field more often.  But it's early. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to A-Gone for MVP.:
    I know it's early, but let the campeign begin. Besides this place has too much negative going on anyway. Gonzalez is leading our team with a .342 average, 9 home runs, and 41 RBIs in just 46 games! That RBI total projects out to an unreal (and therefore unlikely) 144 RBIs. I know we had huge hopes after the trade but 41RBI's in 46 games is sort of ridiculous. He's scored 30 times too, which is 2 more than our leadoff man Jacoby Elsbury, and that number be higher too if our third base coach stops trying to wave him around first to home. By the way, 30 runs in 46 games projects out to 106 for those keeping track. By this point I stop pretty much whatever I'm doing to watch Gonzalez bat, this guy is a beast you never know when  he's going to go on a streak where anything but a home run a day or 4-4 night is a disappointment? Right now compared to the rest of the AL he's... 4th in OPS. 4th in slugging 3rd in average 1st in RBI's 6th in OBP 6th in Home Runs 1st in Hits If he can climb the Home Run ranks he should be a lock for second in MVP voting. Let's cheer him on folks!
    Posted by NUSoxFan

This brings up an interesting question, which is more valuable HR's or RBI?

That's the difference between the players in 1st and 2nd for the MVP at this point IMO.  I still can't wrap my head around Bautista only having 31 RBI to go with 18 HR's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP.:
    Maybe we should all chant "MVP" incessantly everytime Adrian goes to the foul line.  Ya know, something original. It is May, can please hold off on the awards for a few months?
    Posted by Calmy

Yeah let's go back to screaming at Crawford, it's so much better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Alfonso Soriano is the king of this.  I think one year he finished with 33 HR and 70 RBI.  That is tough to do.  I'm sure it had something to do with hitting lead-off in the N.L. but still.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP. : Yeah let's go back to screaming at Crawford, it's so much better.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

You're missing the point.

Focus on the positive aspects on the 2011 season all you want, but if you bring up the MVP in May you will be rightfully criticized.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP. : You're missing the point. Focus on the positive aspects on the 2011 season all you want, but if you bring up the MVP in May you will be rightfully criticized.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

I'm not sure, but this may have been inspired by ESPN's segment for awards at the 1/4 mark of the season.  Not saying that makes it less ridiculous, but at least it has a basis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Yeah let's go back to screaming at Crawford, it's so much better.

You're right.  Next will you please provide a thorougly researched breakdown of play-off matchups "if the season ended today" for the next 100 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP. : I'm not sure, but this may have been inspired by ESPN's segment for awards at the 1/4 mark of the season.  Not saying that makes it less ridiculous, but at least it has a basis.
    Posted by JB-3

That and just looking at the RBI projection, I'd love to see Adrian do the high improbable and have a monster 140RBI season (and not just because it would help my fantasy team immensely). If I had not thrown in the 2 or cheery MVP comments there'd be nothing to critisize so haters can continue to hate for all I care.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP. : That and just looking at the RBI projection, I'd love to see Adrian do the high improbable and have a monster 140RBI season (and not just because it would help my fantasy team immensely). If I had not thrown in the 2 or cheery MVP comments there'd be nothing to critisize so haters can continue to hate for all I care.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

Then why did you include those comments?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

It's called being a fan. You get excited, which can give you a case of the hyperbole when talking about your players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Gonzo, please!  A-Gone is not the preferred nomenclature.  He is Gonzo.  And he is awesome to watch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

So you're saying "Don't judge a discussion by the title". 

Maybe rename it, "A-Gone for a monster RBI season that excites me as a fan and also has the added benefit of helping my fantasy team"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

A-Gone for MVP sounds easier.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

2011 Player of the Week winners

American LeagueNational League
    May 9-15Victor Martinez, DETMartin Prado, ATL
    May 2-8Francisco Liriano, MIN
    Justin Verlander, DET
    Gaby Sanchez, FLA
    April 25-May 1Ben Zobrist, TBLance Berkman, STL
    April 18-24James Shields, TBRyan Braun, MIL
    April 11-17Johnny Damon, TB
    Dan Haren, LAA
    Lance Berkman, STL
    April 4-10Paul Konerko, CWS
    Asdrubal Cabrera, CLE
    Prince Fielder, MIL
    March 31-April 3Carlos Quentin, CWSStarlin Castro, CHC
    Jaime Garcia, STL

why not slow down and root 4 Player of the Month

American LeagueNational League
    AprilAmerican LeagueNational League
    Player of the Month
    Jose Bautista, TORRyan Bruan, MIL
    Pitcher of the Month
    Jered Weaver, LAAJosh Johnson, FLA
    Rookie of the MonthMichael Pineda, SEADarwin Barney, CHC
    Jose Bautista, TORRyan Bruan, MIL
     Jered Weaver, LAAJosh Johnson, FLA
    Michael Pineda, SEADarwin Barney, CHC

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

"A-Gone is not the preferred nomenclature"

The Chinaman is not the issue.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

It's called being a fan. You get excited, which can give you a case of the hyperbole when talking about your players.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

At the end of the 1st week of play an announcer stated that Mark Texiera was "on pace" for 445 RBI's.

See my point?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to A-Gone for MVP. : This brings up an interesting question, which is more valuable HR's or RBI? That's the difference between the players in 1st and 2nd for the MVP at this point IMO.  I still can't wrap my head around Bautista only having 31 RBI to go with 18 HR's.

Posted by JB-3

Well, other players on your team have to be on base for you to actually get more rbi's, other than driving yourself in on a hr. So it's not like it's exactly his fault for the low rbi total.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

May's Valuable Player?....Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

"A-Gone"? When did we start naming him that? so lame.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

M ay's V aluable P layer?....
    Posted by jete02fan

I like it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gone for MVP. : Well, other players on your team have to be on base for you to actually get more rbi's, other than driving yourself in on a hr. So it's not like it's exactly his fault for the low rbi total.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1

And you don't understand how uncharacteristically low that RBI/HR ratio is?

It's tough to be most valuable when you aren't coming through with runners on base, or it could point to pitchers pitching around him with runners on.  Either way it's a statistical anomaly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

"A-Gone"? When did we start naming him that? so lame.
    Posted by RSNS14

In San Diego he was "AGon".  Once he was rumored to be leaving San Diego the "e" was added (because he was gone), which was read by other fans who started using it, which lead to it becoming common.  I refuse to add the "e" because he is very much here (although baseballs are in fact often gone).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

M ay's V aluable P layer?....
    Posted by jete02fan

I love it.

I'd blame Big B's low RBI total for the players around him, except the Jay's are 8th in the league in OBP.

Sections
Shortcuts