A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting:
    I thought all along that didn't seem like Gonzalez. It seemed like Pedroia, honestly, but not Gonzalez.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Once again, this is the essence of BV's issues.

Like everyone has said, if BV had picked a fight with Beckett, half the world would understood it, and half the world would applauded it.

When a manager has a problem with standup guys like Gonzo, Pedroia, and Youkilis, it is almost inconceivable that Valentine isn't at fault.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : So now it's OK to run to ownership like a spolied child when the manager does something you don't like and it's somehow OK with fans.....pathetic. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_

why not?? Happens every day, in the real world. Only way changes can and will be made

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I thought all along that didn't seem like Gonzalez. It seemed like Pedroia, honestly, but not Gonzalez. I've probably missed this, but has anyone said/suggested why he used Gonzalez's phone? I would assume even a backup catcher can afford his own iPhone.
    Posted by LloydDobler

exactly my thoughts, too Lloyd. Maybe shoppach didnt have much weight with the FO. couldnt hit it, either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Who cares about clearing AGon?    That said, AGon may have felt Lester shouldn't have been left out there to accumulate 11 runs.  I thought Bobby V was right because Lester ate two more innings after giving up 9 in 2, which saved the bullpen a little.  Posted by maxbialystock

I thought BV was correct in his decision to leave Lester out there also.  I was thinking that maybe it wasn't so much that Bobby left Lester in the game that the players had issues with, but rather the attitude that Bobby conveyed in leaving him out there.

Was it a positive, take one for the team type of attitude, or was it a snide, I'm going to leave you out there to punish you type of attitude?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : pathetic. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_

Happens everyday in corporate America, bellhorn. just how it works. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Does it matter who really called/texted for a meeting to discuss the mess the Red Sox have been all season?

The manager is a big part of a team's success in all sports even if he never throws a ball, makes a free throw or scores a touchdown, and the Sox have not had anywhere near the success that they should have had this season.

I am not going to even think of mentioning injuries because all teams have them.  The Yankees certainly have had many injuries and they are in first place well ahead of everyone else in their division.  Did you see their lineup yesterday?

Valentine admitted yesterday that he is "not doing a good job" with the record that the team has.  He understands who is responsible.

And, he will not be at all shocked or even mildly surprised when the Red Sox administration finally fires him.  It bothers me that they have waited so long when a season may have been saved about a month ago by making a switch in the manager position.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : Once again, this is the essence of BV's issues. Like everyone has said, if BV had picked a fight with Beckett, half the world would understood it, and half the world would applauded it. When a manager has a problem with standup guys like Gonzo, Pedroia, and Youkilis, it is almost inconceivable that Valentine isn't at fault.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Bobby V doesn't have issues with Pedroia, who played hurt for him as he did for Francona, or AGon, who played RF 16 times to get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup. 

As for Youk, it was the situation.  He went on the DL, Middlebrooks looked great--better hitting, better fielding, younger, healthier--and suddenly Youk, in a contract year and badly needing to play to get a good contract in 2013, was closed out of 3B, 1B, and DH.  So of course he was unhappy.  He wasn't happy last year when AGon supplanted him at 1B.  Meanwhile Bobby V sent AGon to RF to get Youk into the lineup, to no avail.  The Sox then did the best thing they could for Youk, sent him to another club that badly needed a thirdbaseman.  It was the right thing because Youk and produced several quality years for the Sox, wasn't happy in Boston, and needed to play. 

Like Youk, Shoppach and probably Morales aren't happy with their roles.  Shoppach went public saying he should be the regular catcher.  Morales has said nothing, but obviously has wanted to be a starter.  Tough.  Managers have to make hard decisions about who plays and can't please everyone.  Francona in 2008 made the egregious error of actually using Manny as a pinch hitter when he didn't feel like it--I think he had a bone in his knee at the time, an alarming physical condition. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : So now it's OK to run to ownership like a spolied child when the manager does something you don't like and it's somehow OK with fans.....pathetic. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_

Yeah, if the guy in charge is completely over his head, you think we should just sit here and accept it?  I find it hard to believe that we are 15 games behind last year's pace, with the worst record in 14 years, and some fans are enjoying it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

The Patriots play tomorrow night!
    Posted by davetheknave

+1 , You got that right!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : when fans are this dumb...they deserve this year's team. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_

Just because you deserve this team doesn't mean the rest of us do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shoppach is a convenient scapegoat now that he's gone.....Weasel Gonzalez doesn't get off the hook that easily.

Maybe he's gone, because he was the instigator and a focal point of undermining BV.

This whole case is an excellent example of why I never trust the media to accurately portray what is really going on in a clubhouse. 

How much of the whole built up Youk drama was real or invented? A good player might have ended up being traded as a result of lies and distortions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bobby V doesn't have issues with Pedroia, who played hurt for him as he did for Francona, or AGon, who played RF 16 times to get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.  

As for Youk, it was the situation.  He went on the DL,

You have selective memory.  Pedroia had to straighten him out 8 games into the season, and later went to the FO to complain.

And Youk wasn't on the DL when Valentine stabbed him in the back.  It was 8 games into the season.  Youk started off 0-12, then went 6-18.  Valentine's brain slipped off the track and whined to the press that Youk was no longer into the game mentally and physically.

He should've been fired at that point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bobby V doesn't have issues with Pedroia, who played hurt for him as he did for Francona, or AGon, who played RF 16 times to get Ortiz and Youk into the lineup.   As for Youk, it was the situation.  He went on the DL, You have selective memory.  Pedroia had to straighten him out 8 games into the season, and later went to the FO to complain. And Youk wasn't on the DL when Valentine stabbed him in the back.  It was 8 games into the season.  Youk started off 0-12, then went 6-18.  Valentine's brain slipped off the track and whined to the press that Youk was no longer into the game mentally and physically. He should've been fired at that point.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I say again.  Bobby V has had no problem with the performances of both Pedroia and AGon.  He loves what they have done this year.  In your original post you said he had a problem with them, and he absolutely did not. You make way too much of Pedroia's defense of Youk. It had no effect on his performance, a fact which Bobby V appreciated.

As for Youk, the problem was with performance.  Back in April or even ST he knew Youk always has a great spring. Youk's problem has always been wearing out  So what was he to think when Youk started out badly and actually stayed that way until he went on the DL because of the back?  Youk's numbers for April were .219 AVG and an OPS in the low .600's.  Very atypical for him.

For all we know Youk's back was bothering him all along but he wouldn't "give in" to it.  When Bobby said it didn't look like the same old Youk, the guy who is always great early in the season, he was probably speaking the truth.  Maybe he shouldn't have said it, granted, but it was probably true.  And, don't forget, he immediately backed down after he said it and apologized to Youk, to Pedroia, to the UN, to the Pope, whoever. 

But, again, the issue isn't whether any of those three love Valentine.  You said he couldn't work with them and had issues.  I say that's not the case.  Bobby clearly and unequivocally likes what Pedroia and AGon have meant to this team and has said so, especially about Pedroia, who is not having that great a year.

As for Youk, as I said, his primary problem was that Middlebrooks, AGon, and Ortiz were all playing better, and Youk badly needed to play every day.  That was not, repeat not, Bobby V's fault.  In fact, he played him as much as he could and even sent his $20M firstbaseman to RF to make room for Youk.

You have made way too much of those public statements which to me were just talk. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/adrian-gonzalez-hook-ny-mets-kelly-shoppach-takes-fall-boston-text-mutiny-article-1.1139537 This is the Daily News article. Interesting read in addition to the Comments from the Daily News readers. I'm a fan of AGon's but if he was complicit in this texting, allowing his phone to be used, along with probably some other Sox leaders perhaps formulating the message---how do you let them off the hook? There should be some sign of contriteness on their part.  It's like Beckett, if he truly wants to be on this team and is committed to the team and fans, stand up and admit you screwed up last Sept. with the chicken and Beer. We want to hear it from you in your voice, we want to know why and we want to know why you thought you were above the TEAM by not accepting resposibility.   If and when you say it in your own words you will be free and the fans will love you again--in fact they may even show some love to Lackey if he makes his statement. Otherwise let's get what we can for these two guys, like we got what we could from Shoppach and move on.
    Posted by MadMc44

I'm sorry ! I'm sorry ! I'm sorry.... Now if i lose my next five games .... Will you love me? Hell no !.... So whats your point?? Do ya get it?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Gonzalez has taken a lot of crap for a poor season, but it's a poor season only by his standards. Most times we'd take .308, 14 HRs and 84 RBI (T-5 in MLB). And only two missed games.

We need more Adrian Gonzalezes (if that's indeed the plural of Gonzalez) on this team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As for Youk, the problem was with performance.  Back in April or even ST he knew Youk always has a great spring. Youk's problem has always been wearing out  So what was he to think when Youk started out badly

He started off badly?

He started off 0-12.

Then he went 6-18.

I don't think I could possible add more to that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gonzalez has taken a lot of crap for a poor season, but it's a poor season only by his standards. Most times we'd take .308, 14 HRs and 84 RBI (T-5 in MLB). And only two missed games. We need more Adrian Gonzalezes (if that's indeed the plural of Gonzalez) on this team.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Yeah, it was shaping up as a poor season at one point but he has righted the ship with a vengeance.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : Yeah, it was shaping up as a poor season at one point but he has righted the ship with a vengeance.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

It's always the same in here-small sample sizes.  And in this case, Gonzo playing RF probably didn't particularly help either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : It's always the same in here-small sample sizes.  And in this case, Gonzo playing RF probably didn't particularly help either.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Hard to say how or if it effected him, JB but it certainly took him out of his comfort zone. BB players are creatures of habit. Regardless, I don't think he's gotten enough credit for offering and doing it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: A-Gon's name is cleared from BV meeting : Hard to say how or if it effected him, JB but it certainly took him out of his comfort zone. BB players are creatures of habit. Regardless, I don't think he's gotten enough credit for offering and doing it. 
    Posted by J-BAY

Absolutely. Few players would not only do it but volunteer.

Sections
Shortcuts