a good read

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

a good read

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/11/are_the_red_sox.html

all the people who are saying BC needs to get moving should take note. also consider the process of signing FA or making trades. although by now, all of this has been explained to you multiple times and you refuse to listen to reason and logic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: a good read

In response to mef429's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2012/11/are_the_red_sox.html

all the people who are saying BC needs to get moving should take note. also consider the process of signing FA or making trades. although by now, all of this has been explained to you multiple times and you refuse to listen to reason and logic.

The first thing the whiners will tell you is the article is wrong.

Everyone knows Dan Duquette built the Sox of '03-'04.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

In fact, it wasn’t until Dec. 12 that the Red Sox pulled off their first big move of the offseason, trading for second baseman Todd Walker. It wasn’t until Jan. 6 that they signed Mike Timlin. It wasn’t until Jan. 10 that they brought in Bill Mueller; Jan. 22 when they decided to take a chance on David Ortiz. It wasn’t until Feb. 4 when they plucked Bronson Arroyo off waivers and Feb. 15 when they finally wrangled Kevin Millar from the Marlins.

hey if we are going to cherry pick

why not talk about the next yr when they traded 4 curt on thanksgiving

or a few yrs B4 when they traded 4 pedro by thanksgiving

go a few yrs after his choice of yr when they traded for beckett B4 thanksgiving

just sayin  just askin

are those not your best pitching acquisitions in that time frame

my point is not that they should have done something by now

it's that those who question why not have merit

building a roster is an art, not a science

Some deals are made before or by Thanksgiving zac, but the majority are made after. And notice all those deals you sited are years apart. We had one big trade and one or 2 signings before thanks givingthis year. Theres always a couple every year.

Its not that they dont have a point, its the amount of complaining and being unrealistic about it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some deals are made before or by Thanksgiving zac, but the majority are made after. And notice all those deals you sited are years apart. We had one big trade and one or 2 signings before thanks givingthis year. Theres always a couple every year.

Its not that they dont have a point, its the amount of complaining and being unrealistic about it.

my 1st reaction was to say

fair enough 777

but what fun would that be :-)

besides I listed some big time moves

not a PT catcher and PT OF

sorry I'm spacing............... what big trade

I do understand the main point zac, and it is valid. Its just unrealistic for some here to be upest that the whole team isnt in place already...But then again, there are a lot of unrealistic Sox fans around here Ive noticed...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ok, it seems to me that the GM should know which players will have a positive impact for the organization. Those players should be targeted, with 1 or 2 options of course for each position identified in need.

Signing backup players should not be the primary goal, of which Ben has made it. The starting pitching was, and still is the weakness, on this team. That should be the first priority.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Ok, it seems to me that the GM should know which players will have a positive impact for the organization. Those players should be targeted, with 1 or 2 options of course for each position identified in need.

Signing backup players should not be the primary goal, of which Ben has made it. The starting pitching was, and still is the weakness, on this team. That should be the first priority.

the order of signing does not denote the priority. ben can be going after pitchers while hes signed the bench guys.. but the big name pitchers on his radar are going to take longer to get a deal done because they are fielding offers from every team and trying to get the most $

you know as much about his priorities as we all do. to assume his number 1 priority is signing bench guys is absurd

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Us " whiners " are trying to be more patient. The problem here is that most of you " real fans " will still be making excuses if nothing much gets done , and the team stinks again in 2013. I am guessing that you will say that soon the " kids " will be here to save the day. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Us " whiners " are trying to be more patient. The problem here is that most of you " real fans " will still be making excuses if nothing much gets done , and the team stinks again in 2013. I am guessing that you will say that soon the " kids " will be here to save the day. 

The team is going to stink next year anywayDGale...I don't see any way around that. At least thats where my money would be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Funny but the "real" fans are the ones clamoring for Napoli/Swisher?Greinke. I am a different fan I guess, one with a brain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Will you please let the man do the job he is being paid to do. For all we know these moves to date are designed to enable future moves. Sox won't be breaking camp in April with 3 catchers. Your posts remind me of that nagging old lady we all encountered as kids who got upset because the ball landed on her lawn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

Will you please let the man do the job he is being paid to do. For all we know these moves to date are designed to enable future moves. Sox won't be breaking camp in April with 3 catchers. Your posts remind me of that nagging old lady we all encountered as kids who got upset because the ball landed on her lawn.

While other teams are making the moves to strengthen their chances of making the PS, Ben is counting on mediocre players, even saying Gomes was to be the primary LF? The guy is horrible on defense without having to contend with the Monster.

He's also indicating he'll take his chances with the starters he has. 

The team will suck and Farrell will make no difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In fact, it wasn’t until Dec. 12 that the Red Sox pulled off their first big move of the offseason, trading for second baseman Todd Walker. It wasn’t until Jan. 6 that they signed Mike Timlin. It wasn’t until Jan. 10 that they brought in Bill Mueller; Jan. 22 when they decided to take a chance on David Ortiz. It wasn’t until Feb. 4 when they plucked Bronson Arroyo off waivers and Feb. 15 when they finally wrangled Kevin Millar from the Marlins.

hey if we are going to cherry pick

why not talk about the next yr when they traded 4 curt on thanksgiving

or a few yrs B4 when they traded 4 pedro by thanksgiving

go a few yrs after his choice of yr when they traded for beckett B4 thanksgiving

just sayin  just askin

are those not your best pitching acquisitions in that time frame

my point is not that they should have done something by now

it's that those who question why not have merit

building a roster is an art, not a science

Trades and FA signings are apples and oranges.  Trades, especially of major players, have to be done early in order to set the roster.  The RS need a 1B.  They can't go into February hoping to sign one, or then trade for one.

OTOH, FAs are just the opposite.  The only way to sign a FA early is to overpay for one.  Otherwise the FA would have no motivation to sign.  Why would Greinke sign before checking to see if the NYY want to match?  Or 5 other teams?  Guys like Cashman finally got smart and don't even negotiate.  They wait until all other avenues have been exhausted and either top it or they don't.

Further, you only jump quickly when you are getting a good deal or a unique talent.  You want to shut out everyone else.  Pedro and Schilling were huge gets.  For 1B, it will likely be Napoli, or Reynolds, or maybe LaRoche.  For RF, maybe Ross, or maybe Swisher, or other interchangeable pieces.  It really makes little difference which of them we get.  If CO put Tulo on the table, now all of the sudden, we probably don't want to drag the thing out till the NYY start inquiring.

And even past that, some of these moves are susquential.  Maybe we are one hour away from Lester/Myers. or Ellsbury/Lee, and either of thsoe two moves resets the entire landscape.  You can't sign Haren if Philly is on the hook for Lee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the order of signing does not denote the priority. ben can be going after pitchers while hes signed the bench guys.. but the big name pitchers on his radar are going to take longer to get a deal done because they are fielding offers from every team and trying to get the most $

you know as much about his priorities as we all do. to assume his number 1 priority is signing bench guys is absurd

He knows this mef. You cant be a real baseball fan and not know this. They will sign who they can now and have to wait like every other team for those other players to sign.

Talks are constantly going on with agents and players for possible trades and FA signings. Its the same way every year, so why would this year be any different? Because the Sox need more spots filled than usual? Sorry, doesnt work that way...

Sections
Shortcuts