A Happy Fan ... because I can be one

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: A Happy Fan ... because I can be one

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

Engineering Happiness

Interesting book.  Interesting outlook as well.

A couple of points that really ring true to me as a Sox fan, or as a fan period.

What constitutes being happy?  An insight is that we should all be ecstatic, perhaps even the poorest of us(not the destitute, but not monied either), simply because of all of the jaw dropping conveniences we have compared to the lives of our forefathers a few generations back.  Instead, we take them for granted and expect more.  We always want more and hardly enjoy the mundane things that we take for granted … electricity, running water and indoor plumbing, fast travel,  convenient heat and air conditioning, safe foods and safe ways to preserve foods, advanced medical care and so on ….

Instead we want more.  The plumbing has to now have two sinks per bathroom, a shower in its own environment and a bath tub that is a spa … (Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea… used to design houses as a hobby and love conceptualization…)

We don’t want grandma’s fridge – heck, we don’t want LAST season’s model …

And so it goes.

Can we be happy … not with less, but with the great state of existence we already have?  I don’t have to hunt down a caribou with a flint topped spear and if lucky enough to bag one, skin it and dress it …

OK …

How does that fit as a fan? 

Just being a fan, is a luxury, of sorts.  To have a distraction, a hobby is a plus.  To have the nearly ethereal connection many of us have with the Red Sox is also a plus.  And it has been, whether the Sox were winning, losing, going to heart stopping and heart breaking pinnacles … and then when the two World Championship seasons of recent history became a part of our history … a new level was developed.   Expectation of succeeding …

Second point … we can be happy in our situation just because we are in it.  Absent of expectations.   Expectations – and I can hear screaming at this point – can become the determining factor of our pleasure and happiness.

Going to Fenway with Dad and friends was in and of itself a great moment. 

When the Sox lost, was it a bummer?  Yeah.  But it never removed the pleasure of being a Sox fan.  We always looked forward to the next game, no matter what.

I know it takes setting goals to become a top notch athlete … one always strives for more, or he goes no where.

But does being a fan require one to only have winners to be happy?  Surely not.

That is the kind of attitude that we consider entitlement.  How often have we railed against that?

I am happy to be a Red Sox fan.  If more comes out of it, all the better.  If not, than I am not going to blame the team for my inability to enjoy this hobby, this pleasure.

I hope the Sox “engineer” a great season.  But I will be happy to hear the first pitch call of the season and then follow the next 162 or more games with pleasure.  I will not enjoy loss, but I will enjoy being a happy Red Sox fan …

Well, SinceYaz, I guess you haven't read the retort to Engineering Happiness.  It's by Georom Mitch Softlaw, 806 and Danny Cater Galehouse.  it's entitled, Engineering Misery.  Here's an excerpt:

What constitutes being miserable?  An insight is that we should all be troubled, perhaps even the richest of us,  because of all of the  inconveniences we have to suffer that we shouldn't tolerate.  Instead, we remain content  and expect less.  We always expect less and extol the virtues of the mundane things that we should take for granted … electricity, running water and indoor plumbing, fast travel,  convenient heat and air conditioning, safe foods and safe ways to preserve foods, advanced medical care and so on ….

How does that fit as a fan?  Draw your own conclusions.

Sheriff, my good friend, I knew there would be the response similar to what you have alerted me to.  I - heck, we - deal with the negative all the time.  And the response from them is that they have every right to be negative.  This is true.  But it does not constitute evidence of wisdom, power or success.  It only repeats itself over and over again until it becomes a mantra that sours the air. 

Being negative feeds negativity ... unless we react against it.  I know this from personal experience.  I lived long stretches of time when I allowed the negative to rule my thoughts and sour my personality and life.

Being a Red Sox fan could easily lead to being negative.  But that could be said of most teams.  After all, there have been less than 140 WS champions ... and in that same period of time, at least 1500 teams have failed ... making it clear that the chances have always been at least 16 to 1 that faced failure....

I did not use exact figures but gave room for .... failure to speak for itself in rough terms.

I exoect to have a good to season ....

well said yaz

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

did U  have a liquid lunch  happy meal today yaz

here's some more happiness 4 U

from your happy pitching coach

I hope U enjoy the happiness

Nieves breaks down Sox starters

February, 20, 2013

By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves, whom Gordon Edes profiles in a column now posted on ESPNBoston.com, weighs in with his thoughts on some Boston starters:

Jon Lester: "Wow. A horse. Unbelievable upside still. Stuff is there. Alterations, yes, must make some alterations. Conviction. Tough guy. My God, I never realized he was that big. I saw him really thin years ago. He's a big human. Very talented. Still, stuff is there, and I think with alterations he'll be fine. Not analyzing, conviction with alterations in delivery, trusting that will be challenge. Not more. More is not better."

Clay Buchholz: "Oh, incredibly talented guy even though I haven't seen him [live], I love what I've seen on video. Athletic, big-time contact guy. Should trust his stuff. Early contact guy. Command guy, still can throw very hard. He can get a punchout when he wants to. Can pitch under the zone early in the count so he can get a lot of groundballs. Keeps walks down. Keeps hit down per innings pitched. He should win 15 to 18 games. What a tremendous athlete."

Ryan Dempster: "Oh, he brings a lot to the table. Great sense of humor. Hard worker. You're not in big leagues 14, 16 years because you don't work. What a tremendous asset to this staff. Very serious guy but he'll also keep guys loose and relaxed, instead of uptight and wound up. He brings a lot of stability to the staff. He's a student of the game. He'll be the guy who helps [other pitchers]. A lot of guys, I'm sure, will go to him, and I advise them to do it."

Felix Doubront: "Oh, talented guy. 6-foot-4 lefty with a tremendous arm. Late in the season I saw his adjustments. He brings to the table incredible stuff. Fastball, cutter, curveball, changeup. This guy reminds me of a young CC Sabathia]. Almost the same delivery, the same build. But he has to find himself and I think the best is yet to come from him."

John Lackey: "Ohhh, he's awesome. He's in great shape. What I've seen right now, I know John [Farrell] spoke to him, was able to see him [this winter] when I was somewhere else, I am thrilled about this guy. Really thrilled. Great guy, great sense of humor, fearless. You always think as a pitching coach, what does he bring to the table after a surgery. He has enough. There's enough stuff there. You always think, does he have to change his style, is it going to take time for him to adjust from being the guy he was to a few clicks [less]. The ball is coming out great, great spin on the fastball, the ball is not cutting true, great delivery, he's back to his old delivery. It might not be 97, 98, [but] the ball is coming out easy. And we know he's a great athlete.

"As I speak here, we're healthy, if we have a chance to be healthy, it should be fun."

Heh!   Thanks old friend!

My day was already made - the good wife and I are driving to Philly to pick up second son and then fly out tomorrow to see older son as he finishes Military Language School in Monterey, CA - but you made it even better! 

Some guys just blow smoke, but I like what Nieves said.  Thanks again!

RU sure he's not their agent?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

+1 SY

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

Current odd of failure are 29-1.

[/QUOTE]

Polly, loved your first post.   Excellent tongue in cheek!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

+1 SY

Since I'm having Mexican right now in SF,  gracias!

We're gonna join the throngs at China Town tomorrow for Chinese New Year Parade.  Craziness.  :o)

I smiled at your suggestion Nieves might be the starters agent.  Then thinking again, he sorta  better be!  He is trying to get the best out of these guys ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Engineering Happiness

A couple of points that really ring true to me as a Sox fan, or as a fan period.

What constitutes being happy?  An insight is that we should all be ecstatic, perhaps even the poorest of us(not the destitute, but not monied either), simply because of all of the jaw dropping conveniences we have compared to the lives of our forefathers a few generations back.  Instead, we take them for granted and expect more.  We always want more and hardly enjoy the mundane things that we take for granted … electricity, running water and indoor plumbing, fast travel,  convenient heat and air conditioning, safe foods and safe ways to preserve foods, advanced medical care and so on ….

Instead we want more.  The plumbing has to now have two sinks per bathroom, a shower in its own environment and a bath tub that is a spa … (Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea… used to design houses as a hobby and love conceptualization…)

And so it goes.

Can we be happy … not with less, but with the great state of existence we already have?  I don’t have to hunt down a caribou with a flint topped spear and if lucky enough to bag one, skin it and dress it …

OK …

Just being a fan, is a luxury, of sorts.  To have a distraction, a hobby is a plus.  To have the nearly ethereal connection many of us have with the Red Sox is also a plus.  And it has been, whether the Sox were winning, losing, going to heart stopping and heart breaking pinnacles … and then when the two World Championship seasons of recent history became a part of our history … a new level was developed.   Expectation of succeeding …

Second point … we can be happy in our situation just because we are in it.  Absent of expectations.   Expectations – and I can hear screaming at this point – can become the determining factor of our pleasure and happiness.

When the Sox lost, was it a bummer?  Yeah.  But it never removed the pleasure of being a Sox fan.  We always looked forward to the next game, no matter what.

I know it takes setting goals to become a top notch athlete … one always strives for more, or he goes no where.

That is the kind of attitude that we consider entitlement.  How often have we railed against that?

I am happy to be a Red Sox fan.  If more comes out of it, all the better.  If not, than I am not going to blame the team for my inability to enjoy this hobby, this pleasure.

I hope the Sox “engineer” a great season.  But I will be happy to hear the first pitch call of the season and then follow the next 162 or more games with pleasure.  I will not enjoy loss, but I will enjoy being a happy Red Sox fan …

Well, SinceYaz, I guess you haven't read the retort to Engineering Happiness.  It's by Georom Mitch Softlaw, 806 and Danny Cater Galehouse.  it's entitled, Engineering Misery.  Here's an excerpt:

What constitutes being miserable?  An insight is that we should all be troubled, perhaps even the richest of us,  because of all of the  inconveniences we have to suffer that we shouldn't tolerate.  Instead, we remain content  and expect less.  We always expect less and extol the virtues of the mundane things that we should take for granted … electricity, running water and indoor plumbing, fast travel,  convenient heat and air conditioning, safe foods and safe ways to preserve foods, advanced medical care and so on ….

How does that fit as a fan?  Draw your own conclusions.

Sheriff, my good friend, I knew there would be the response similar to what you have alerted me to.  I - heck, we - deal with the negative all the time.  And the response from them is that they have every right to be negative.  This is true.  But it does not constitute evidence of wisdom, power or success.  It only repeats itself over and over again until it becomes a mantra that sours the air. 

Being negative feeds negativity ... unless we react against it.  I know this from personal experience.  I lived long stretches of time when I allowed the negative to rule my thoughts and sour my personality and life.

Being a Red Sox fan could easily lead to being negative.  But that could be said of most teams.  After all, there have been less than 140 WS champions ... and in that same period of time, at least 1500 teams have failed ... making it clear that the chances have always been at least 16 to 1 that faced failure....

I did not use exact figures but gave room for .... failure to speak for itself in rough terms.

I exoect to have a good to season ....

SY, all those years of failure made it that much sweeter when it finally did happen.  I swore to myself that if I experienced just one Red Sox World Series Championship, I would not ask the Baseball Gods for anything more.  The taste of success has spoiled many fans.  It was the same thing that I despised about arrogant Yankee fans.  

Don't get me wrong, I still root for the Red Sox to win as much as possible, but now I don't get too high when they win, or too down when they lose.  I just enjoy it as sport and entertainment and a nice diversion from work and other responsibilities.  I also enjoy coming to these boards, especially when I encounter kindred souls like yourself.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

+1 SY

We're gonna join the throngs at China Town tomorrow for Chinese New Year Parade.  Craziness.  :o)

I smiled at your suggestion Nieves might be the starters agent.  Then thinking again, he sorta  better be!  He is trying to get the best out of these guys ...

Welcome to the Bay Area, SY.  Let me know if you get up to wine country.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

Agree I'll always be a fan, and that will never change. Great post Yaz. Also we are going to contend and be right there this year.89-93 games, give or take. Why not us?

Thanks Jay ... I agree, why not us?  Winning is a lot based on talent, a lot based on a team clicking - chemistry or not, and a lot of luck.  Injuries can derail a team, a surprise player or two can alter a team, a poor season by one or more of your stable players if not stars ...

If being a sports fan was about reality, why have we created fantasy teams for everything as well as following the real teams?

For me, the real team is fantasy enough.  I really don't have the time for the other, not when I follow college football, basketball and sometimes baseball, pro football, baseball, and sometimes soccer, never mind used to help with high school soccer and supported and played high school football and basketball, and college basketball, ran the mile and cross country ..

I digress.

I admit, I was too ignorant to know that the other guy always had it sewed up before I stepped on the field.  I knew that the day I was covering Otis Birdsong, I was clearly outmatched.  But so was everyone else who played against him in high school.  His Winter Haven High team crushed us.  THe best thing I can say is I fouled him three times late in the game to stop them from going century on us.  I was lousy - that's the plain truth.  But I loved playing and did.  If I knew I had to win ... heck, why even strap on my Chuck's All Stars?

The Red Sox ... may be lousy from time to time, someone on the team may play lousy from time to time ... but I'm gonna root FOR them until the last swing or last pitch.  Do I love teams that play with heart and hunger?  You bet.  I love spunkiness - Pedey is in your face spunky all the time.  Just being there, he is saying to the whole world "I'm busting your chops on what you think a pro should look like.  I'm gonna show you what heart is ... and I got plenty."   Oh nuts ... I just went off on another tangent ...

You might be able to tell I'm on vacation, so I have the time to be here.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

There is a poster on here who says that it's not about winning and/or the cost of the Red Sox entertainment, it's about a "nice day at the ballpark". Do you agree with that?

Well, I'm not under any illusion of changing the outcome, so I'll try to enjoy myself no matter what.  If I don't like the product, I can stay home.  In fact, last season I didn't renew my subscription to mlb.com because I didn't think last year's team was worth watching.  This year's team is a longshot to win anything, but so far, their mojo is good.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

SY, all those years of failure made it that much sweeter when it finally did happen.  I swore to myself that if I experienced just one Red Sox World Series Championship, I would not ask the Baseball Gods for anything more.  The taste of success has spoiled many fans.  It was the same thing that I despised about arrogant Yankee fans.  

Don't get me wrong, I still root for the Red Sox to win as much as possible, but now I don't get too high when they win, or too down when they lose.  I just enjoy it as sport and entertainment and a nice diversion from work and other responsibilities.  I also enjoy coming to these boards, especially when I encounter kindred souls like yourself.  

I couldn't have said it more perfectly ... as a matter of fact that first paragraph is so close to what I felt that I felt it word for word.  

The internet helped me get back in touch with my team and its fans ... but it couldn't have come at a better time! 

To my great surprise, I found some of our fans were as bitter or more so after the '04 year as before ... I made the automatic assumption that they were Yanqui fans.  '07 was terrific, but '04 was like we had learned to breath underwater or travel at warp speed ... only more emotionaly connected.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

You must not be on the Obama's Utopian bandwagon. I'm glad you are happy. How much wealth redistribution are you getting from The State?

Softy,

You've gone here before - and as usual, you're off the mark.  I've never asked gottent a penny nor am I lined up to get one from the state.  Not in college loans, not anywhere ...

I've been blessed to have a job (sometimes two or three) since I was 8 - a paper route, for sure - but bought my own toys, sodas and candy, paid for my own trips, paid for 6 years in college and have never asked for any assistance from the government.  Mom and Dad made me pay for my own gas and car insurance before I could drive or date ...

I could have opted out of Social Security when I first entered the ministry but felt that I had an obligation as a citizen so I have paid each and every level of financial obligation to my country and any of the half dozen states I have lived in.  

Did you get any college loans covered by the federal government?  If so, you have borrowed money that I haven't yet touched.  I stand free and clear of any debt to my nation because I have willfully paid them.   

I can happily say, Softy, you get no traction here. 

I plan to keep on working until I am not able.  Forget retirement ... that isn't in the cards for me.  So what?  If I can pay my bills and stay off the streets, I find that more and more acceptable all the time.  Did I have a retirement plan?   Heck yeah ... but the money grubbers on Wall Street and the white collar criminals at Enron and 3M have helped eliminate that ... as well as a couple family crooks that did things I won't detail. 

No, Softy, ya can't bite me ... cuz ya got no teeth.

That's why ya can't smile and be happy.

That's why ya can't like Els ... or any other Red Sox ... ya just ain't got a smile.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

There is a poster on here who says that it's not about winning and/or the cost of the Red Sox entertainment, it's about a "nice day at the ballpark". Do you agree with that?

Apparently you didn't read my OP well enough.  GO back and read it again.  It should give you the answer, Grasshopper.  The answer is there.  I won't repeat it.  You say you are bright.  Go back, read - and come back with the proper answer.  The wrong answer means you aren't learning from the master. Grasshopper, go back, concentrate, study ...  You will find illumination.  If not, you will find elimination. 

Am I threatening you?  No.  Just saying that I have given you two extraordinary opportunities by responding to you against better judgment.  If you wish to continue to communicate, you will use your allegedly vaunted ability of the mind and draw the correct conlusion.  Play as a master, grasshopper, you will be treated thusly - if you pass the crucible.

Last chance, last chance to get a response from me, nevermind being a fellow poster treated with respect

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I reckon it this way. People are happy mostly because they decide to be. That, and the people I know that are truly happy have very low expectations. A very wise man once told me that every expectation is a resentment waiting to happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I reckon it this way. People are happy mostly because they decide to be. That, and the people I know that are truly happy have very low expectations. A very wise man once told me that every expectation is a resentment waiting to happen.

That is a wise person, Carnie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Engineering Happiness

And so it goes.

OK …

+1 my friend. I paid my MLB subscription early, come on bring on the games!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I couldn't have said it more perfectly ... as a matter of fact that first paragraph is so close to what I felt that I felt it word for word.  

The internet helped me get back in touch with my team and its fans ... but it couldn't have come at a better time! 

To my great surprise, I found some of our fans were as bitter or more so after the '04 year as before ... I made the automatic assumption that they were Yanqui fans.  '07 was terrific, but '04 was like we had learned to breath underwater or travel at warp speed ... only more emotionaly connected.

2004 was like 37 years of BB rolled into a couple of hours at YS.  There were other disappointing years, but game 3 of the ALCS was the low point for me as a fan.  It was worse than G6 in 1986, because the EE thoroughly kicked our keister.

An amazing thing.  The ALCS exorcised the demons of 1978, and then as icing on the cake, the WS exorcised the demons of 1967.  The only family business to settle is '75 and '86.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

+1 my friend. I paid my MLB subscription early, come on bring on the games.

Sitting here in SF this AM, the first game of Spring Training is a huge story on the tube...

Bring on the games indeed ...

BONZAI!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I met a very cute & most honest red sox fan last night

folks call her Red Sox D

I asked her what's it like 2 B a sox fan

she looked at me with those big brown eyes and said

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I met a very cute & most honest red sox fan last night

folks call her Red Sox D

I asked her what's it like 2 B a sox fan

she looked at me with those big brown eyes and said

Is that doggie speak for You ain't seen nothin' yet?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I make a huge distinction between deep happiness and joy that comes from well being and community than a superficial type "Pike like" forced positive thinking pseudo-happiness. 

To answer Yaz' OP, modern conveniences are nice but do not take the place of true love and a sense of purpose and family. When you're isolated and in poor health, the fact you can walk your lonely self down to the store to get a quart of milk at any time of day or night is not a huge consolation. 

Music is a great example, we have all this tech and ability to download all this modern music and yet give me a crackling Abbey Road or Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl any day of the week. Or give me a guitar that was built 100 years ago and I'll play to my heart's content. Modern tech and convenience is wildly overrated. 

So is trying to talk yourself into buying into the PR-hyped crud that comes out of Fenway on a regular basis. 

What I will say is that being a fan is tricky because you need to have some level of emotional investment but there is a danger to putting a team in the center of your life, it's an easy way to become bitter and entitled. 

I have great memories of two amazing championships (and some other good playoff runs) so I don't need to win it all every year. At the same time there is nothing wrong with being disgusted at how the team fell apart last year. 

To me folks make too much out of being positive. I think what matters is being passionate and having your values and life priorities in order. Sometimes being positive is talking yourself into stuff you should be saying no to, like a soulless job you need to quit. 

That said to each their own and if you find a way to be happy in your Red Sox fandom and beyond then a tip of the cap to you. :) 

==========================================

I have enjoyed your posts too on the Celtic forums and I copy & paste this from a discussion entitled "Quit Whining" !!!

Fantastic post !!!  You must be a Dale Carnegie disciple. I don't know the origin of the saying" It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game". Well that was probably said by someone who lost. On the other hand, I remember Vince Lombardi's saying that "show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser".

Now, for the players winning and losing is much more important to determine their income and longevity in their employment. But putting things in perspective, we are only fans. Yup, I know we buy tickets but are we only entertained if our team wins or, even losing, it played well and did its best. Remember fellow fans it's only a game( I reiterate more important for the players & managers) but for us it's a spectator game, not LIFE and DEATH !!! Serious things in life are job, health and educational issues for ourselves, children & grandchildren and good family relationships, and our team winning or losing has no affect on these important things.

I copy & paste this from Joe Breidey's earlier post and I add that as a Septuagenarian, I lived painfully though all these years below you describe and I wondered if I was to stay above the turf long enough to see a Sox World Series Victory and 2004 satisfied me...beating hated Yankees in 4 was even more gratifying. Hate them as much as the Lakers.

"2004 was like 37 years of BB rolled into a couple of hours at YS.  There were other disappointing years, but game 3 of the ALCS was the low point for me as a fan.  It was worse than G6 in 1986, because the EE thoroughly kicked our keister.

An amazing thing.  The ALCS exorcised the demons of 1978, and then as icing on the cake, the WS exorcised the demons of 1967.  The only family business to settle is '75 and '86."

OK, I'm off my soap box...enjoy the game and enjoy the entertainment and skill of the players.

I'm lucky too as I've lived in SF for 45 years so a local fan too and 49er and Giants have made me a happy fan too !!! Agree too about all the post about the No. Cal coastline, Carmel to Mendocino etc.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

did U  have a liquid lunch  happy meal today yaz

here's some more happiness 4 U

from your happy pitching coach

I hope U enjoy the happiness

Nieves breaks down Sox starters

February, 20, 2013

By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

Sox pitching coach Juan Nieves, whom Gordon Edes profiles in a column now posted on ESPNBoston.com, weighs in with his thoughts on some Boston starters:

Jon Lester: "Wow. A horse. Unbelievable upside still. Stuff is there. Alterations, yes, must make some alterations. Conviction. Tough guy. My God, I never realized he was that big. I saw him really thin years ago. He's a big human. Very talented. Still, stuff is there, and I think with alterations he'll be fine. Not analyzing, conviction with alterations in delivery, trusting that will be challenge. Not more. More is not better."

Clay Buchholz: "Oh, incredibly talented guy even though I haven't seen him [live], I love what I've seen on video. Athletic, big-time contact guy. Should trust his stuff. Early contact guy. Command guy, still can throw very hard. He can get a punchout when he wants to. Can pitch under the zone early in the count so he can get a lot of groundballs. Keeps walks down. Keeps hit down per innings pitched. He should win 15 to 18 games. What a tremendous athlete."

Ryan Dempster: "Oh, he brings a lot to the table. Great sense of humor. Hard worker. You're not in big leagues 14, 16 years because you don't work. What a tremendous asset to this staff. Very serious guy but he'll also keep guys loose and relaxed, instead of uptight and wound up. He brings a lot of stability to the staff. He's a student of the game. He'll be the guy who helps [other pitchers]. A lot of guys, I'm sure, will go to him, and I advise them to do it."

Felix Doubront: "Oh, talented guy. 6-foot-4 lefty with a tremendous arm. Late in the season I saw his adjustments. He brings to the table incredible stuff. Fastball, cutter, curveball, changeup. This guy reminds me of a young CC Sabathia]. Almost the same delivery, the same build. But he has to find himself and I think the best is yet to come from him."

John Lackey: "Ohhh, he's awesome. He's in great shape. What I've seen right now, I know John [Farrell] spoke to him, was able to see him [this winter] when I was somewhere else, I am thrilled about this guy. Really thrilled. Great guy, great sense of humor, fearless. You always think as a pitching coach, what does he bring to the table after a surgery. He has enough. There's enough stuff there. You always think, does he have to change his style, is it going to take time for him to adjust from being the guy he was to a few clicks [less]. The ball is coming out great, great spin on the fastball, the ball is not cutting true, great delivery, he's back to his old delivery. It might not be 97, 98, [but] the ball is coming out easy. And we know he's a great athlete.

"As I speak here, we're healthy, if we have a chance to be healthy, it should be fun."

Heh!   Thanks old friend!

My day was already made - the good wife and I are driving to Philly to pick up second son and then fly out tomorrow to see older son as he finishes Military Language School in Monterey, CA - but you made it even better! 

Some guys just blow smoke, but I like what Nieves said.  Thanks again!

Yaz: if you have not been to Monterey you gotta make time to see the Monterey Aquarium. Its world class. I live about 2 1/2 hours away from there and was in Monterey last weekend.

=========================================

Hi Pumpsie(in a previous post I've said I'm a Marinite too and I think we talked about the Woodhouse Fish Co in SF with imported Ipswitch Clams/ Haddock etc.). When I lived in Maine I was called a Mainiac but I said we prefer Mainer or Mainite !!!

And Yaz, when we are not back East visiting family in New England for Xmas, we have been staying at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch. It's very festive and celebrities, including Clint, are around the piano bar singing Carols. We then walk to the Basilica & go to Midnight Mass.

Ocean Ave in Carmel is very festive. Love walking on the pier in Monterey and Cannery Row. As I am Italian and have been to the   Amalfi Coast, no area anywhere reminds me more of it than Rt. 1, Big Sur, San Simeon and Nepenthe's is a great place to lunch.

Mea Culpa, i'm getting to be a travel agent...still partial to seafood on the East Coast, however !!! And the Rocky Coast of Maine ain't too shabby either!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

+1 SY

I lived nearby (Mountain View, next to Palo Alto) for 3 yrs. Try to check this place out in Sausalito; great food & scenery:

http://www.guaymasrestaurant.com/guaymas/default.aspx

Sections
Shortcuts