A list of 15 possible manager candidates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A list of 15 possible manager candidates

From Gordon Edes at ESPNBoston.com:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15134/15-red-sox-skipper-candidates

I like the idea of Sandberg or Martinez

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: A list of 15 possible manager candidates

No mention of Tony Pena. I like Martinez and Sandberg too. I also like DeMarlo Hale.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: A list of 15 possible manager candidates:
    [QUOTE]No mention of Tony Pena. I like Martinez and Sandberg too. I also like DeMarlo Hale.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that about Pena.I wonder if it's because he's still under contract with the Yankees?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A list of 15 possible manager candidates : I didn't notice that about Pena.I wonder if it's because he's still under contract with the Yankees?
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]Could be. You'd think that if the Sox offered him a promotion the Yanquis would have to let him take it though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I kind of like McEwing...sounds like his dirt dog mentality is just what this team needs and injection of...or Sandberg, at least among the rookies.  I also like Bud Black and Bruce Bochy, expecially since I am not sure the Sox should go for a rookie manager.  Wouldn't mind an ex catcher or someone who knows pitching really well.  Seems to me that was Francona's biggest weakness, and it was exposed once Farrell left.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

There is no one on that list that excites me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Then go root for a team in your own state, nimwit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Then go root for a team in your own state, nimwit.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]Like the Cubbies maybe?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would like a guy that has been a pitching coach or a pitcher like a Bud Black with a "bad cop" bench coach/ dirt dog mentality.

Not sure who that two-some would be but I'm sure they're out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Maybe we bring Carrie Nation back from the dead to Manage? First dead, female Manager in the history of baseball and would certainly clean up Beckett.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I would like a guy that has been a pitching coach or a pitcher like a Bud Black with a "bad cop" bench coach/ dirt dog mentality."

Problem is, pitching coaches have historically been failures as managers for the most part. 

You also can't overlook the added pressure of managing in a market like Boston, New York, or Philly.
      I'd be a hesitant to hire someone whose only prior experience was in a small market.  Managing in Boston is like apples to oranges compared to San Diego because of the intense media coverage and rabid fanbase.  Also, a guy who manages a low payroll team doesn't necessarily have the skill set to manage a clubhouse full of millionaires

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Hale? I think not. We will have just more of the same if the Sox stay within. Another player's manager is not what this team needs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

I know it won't happen but I would like them to take a shot at Bobby Valentine

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i like the idea of Sandy Alomar or Dave Martinez (keeping it realistic) Bochy is not walking through that door.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stangs55. Show Stangs55's posts

I'd like to see "The Rooster", Rick Burleson, considered.  He's got the resume and fire.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

18. Torey Lovullo and Joe McEwing aren't on Ben Cherington's initial list of interview candidates for the Red Sox manager's job, reports Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston.  "Among those expected to get some consideration" from the Sox include DeMarlo Hale, Sandy Alomar Jr., Ryne Sandberg, Dave Martinez and Pete Mackanin.  McDonald also lists Ken Macha and Terry Pendleton as longer-shot possibilities.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see "The Rooster", Rick Burleson, considered.  He's got the resume and fire.
    Posted by Stangs55[/QUOTE]

Coaching & managerial career

Following his playing career, Burleson coached for the Oakland Athletics (1991), Red Sox (1992-1993) and Angels (1995-1996).

Since the 1997 season, he has managed in the minors for the Lancaster JetHawks (1997-1998), San Bernardino Stampede (1999), San Antonio Missions (2000), Billings Mustangs (2001-2003) and Louisville Bats (2003-2004), before returning to Billings for two seasons (2005-2006). In 2007, he replaced Pat Kelly as manager of the GCL Reds, after Kelly was named bench coach by the Cincinnati Reds.

In 2008, Burleson worked as a Minor League Roving Instructor for Cincinnati and also spent some time as the hitting coach of the Visalia Oaks. He is currently the hitting coach of the Reno Aces.

[edit] Private life

• You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

• Sections
    Shortcuts