A look at the entire roster and more

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

A look at the entire roster and more

We won't stop with Beckett, CC and other salary dump’s, our FO has taken a huge step to right some of the wrongs.

Cody? I don't see him getting a long term from anyone, he plays better at Fenway because it fits his makeup and if the price is right he may be back.

Ells? He will probably be traded at some point if Bradley works out.

Middy, It’s obvious he earned his chance and now just needs to take advantage.

Salty? Again I might give him one more year to prove whether he can show any real signs of improving offensively by getting more walks, less SO and vastly improving his OBP.  I really don’t have an issue with his improved defense. 

Papi? If he can finally stop griping about his contract by all means do everything possible to bring him back with a two year, plus third team option if possible.

Pede, isn’tgoing anywhere yet but get rid of Bobby V. and find a more player friendly manager who can still lay down the hammer if things get out of control.

Iggy, De Jesus, Lav, Gomez and Ciriaco?  Give them more time to develop at the big league level whether it be starting or coming off the bench.  Only trade them if it really improves our team.

Aviles, Nava, Sweeney, Valencia, Repko, Lin, Loney and Kalish?  No, for one of the same reasons as Salty.  I could be wrong but don’t see a very high OBP, much power etc. ever developing against AL pitching. 

Padilla and Aceves? are probably heading out in Beckett’s shadow. We don't need hot heads who only play hard if their world is perfect.
    Guys like Cook
    , no more “rehab or cast off” pitchers in the starting rotation please.  I realize we are stuck with Lackey and hope he and De La Rosa can help but enough is enough.

Dice K and Jenks?  Finally, is all I will say.

Miller, Breslow, Mortenson, Hill, Morales and Bailey?  I think they still have worth

Doub, trade bait in my opinion

Jon and Clay? I still believe they can help but if we can improve the club, by all means trade them.

New acquisitions I would kick the tires on?  Guy’s like….Braun, Y. Molina, McCann, Felix, C. Lee, McCutchen, K. Morales or even David Wright if we could turn him into a 1B.

FA’s? Hamilton, McCarthy, Greinke, A. Sanchez?  Not too many I would consider.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A look at the entire roster and more

Cody? I don't see him getting a long term from anyone, he plays better at Fenway because it fits his makeup and if the price is right he may be back.

I think we keep Ross. He should play LF (platoon with Nava?) and DH.

Ells? He will probably be traded at some point if Bradley works out.

Problem is, if we wait to see if Bradley is for real, Ellsbury will already be a FA. If we trade Ellsbury midseason, the team getting him loses the comp draft pick they'd have gotten had they traded for Ells before the season started. That's a lot of lost value.

Best to trade Ells this winter.

Middy, It’s obvious he earned his chance and now just needs to take advantage.

I agree, but sense many here think he is a sure bet allstar.

Salty? Again I might give him one more year to prove whether he can show any real signs of improving offensively by getting more walks, less SO and vastly improving his OBP.  I really don’t have an issue with his improved defense. 

If he does very well in 2013, he may command a very high FA price. If he does poorly, we've lost any trade value he has this winter.

Papi? If he can finally stop griping about his contract by all means do everything possible to bring him back with a two year, plus third team option if possible.

Offer him $12.5M/1 and if he refuses, we get the comp darft pick. If it takes a little more to sign him away from another team's offer, then match it.

Pede, isn’tgoing anywhere yet but get rid of Bobby V. and find a more player friendly manager who can still lay down the hammer if things get out of control.

Managers don't need to be friends, but point well taken. My view of Pedey has gone doiwn this year though.

Iggy, De Jesus, Lav, Gomez and Ciriaco?  Give them more time to develop at the big league level whether it be starting or coming off the bench.  Only trade them if it really improves our team.

I have little hope for Gomez and DeJesus.

AvilesNava, Sweeney, Valencia, Repko, Lin, Loney and Kalish? No, for one of the same reasons as Salty.  I could be wrong but don’t see a very high OBP, much power etc. ever developing against AL pitching.

Nava is known for a very high OBP vs RHPs (.372 career). 

Padilla and Aceves? are probably heading out in Beckett’s shadow. We don't need hot heads who only play hard if their world is perfect.
    Guys like Cook
    , no more “rehab or cast off” pitchers in the starting rotation please.  I realize we are stuck with Lackey and hope he and De La Rosa can help but enough is enough.

Padilla is a FA after this year. Aceves will be traded.

Dice K and Jenks?  Finally, is all I will say.

True enough.

Miller, Breslow, Mortenson, Hill, Morales and Bailey?  I think they still have worth

yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Doub, trade bait in my opinion

I agree.

Jon and Clay? I still believe they can help but if we can improve the club, by all means trade them.

I agree, and their trade value is not as high as their value to us. I'd like to see them as our 2/3 slot starters by 2014. 

New acquisitions I would kick the tires on?  Guy’s like….Braun, Y. Molina, McCann, Felix, C. LeeMcCutchen, K. Morales or even David Wright if we could turn him into a 1B.

FA’s? Hamilton, McCarthy, Greinke, A. Sanchez?  Not too many I would consider.

I think we trade for Justin Upton and/or maybe Brett Anderson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I pretty much agree on all your points moon and also don't feel Middy isn't a lock just yet.  Pede also lost a bit of "Jeter" type respect from me this season.  I also tend to agree we go after Upton but can't really predict if he will do well here.  I feel Gomez may be a good "back up" bat, especially if we keep Papi and would love to see us get a decent 1B to replace Adrian.

Lastly, I still hate how BTC has hacked this board :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sox will never get good value for Ells, so the smart thing is to keep him and either re-sign him or get the draft picks.  With giant holes created in the lineup and especially the departure of CC, keeping Ells thru 2013 makes sense.  Ells is a better hitter, fielder, and baserunner than Crawford but will not get CC bucks.

Trading Buchholz or Lester makes no sense.  Both had bad years but are under 30, healthy, and capable of being #2 and #3 starters and maybe #1. 

Huge gaps right now in the lineup, the worst in a very long time.  Best hitter by far is Ortiz, so keeping him should be a prioity despite the health risk.   Ditto Pedroia and Middlebrooks and Ross and Lavarnway/Saltalamacchia.   

1B--with Youk and AGon in Chicago and LA--is a giant hole in the lineup which no one on this team can fill, least of all Gomez and Loney.  If a good trade for a good bat is possible, do it.  But more likely is bringing up Bogaerts to play 3B, moving Middlebrooks to 1B, but probably not until 2014. 

Plenty of choices--Iglesias, Aviles, Ciraco--for SS, but I think Iggy gets the job in 2013 and keeps it. 

If Upton is obtainable, get him, but I don't think he is gettable for anything remotely reasonable.  In any case, the Sox do need to acquire one very good bat to play the OF or 1B. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would look to move Ells and sign BJ Upton. What are the chances the Sox could take on another Ray that will not meet or exceed expectations. I think you could sign Upton for less than Ells.

IMO he is as good a baserunner as Ells, better arm and is a consistent power threat.

I like our chances with him in CF or RF. I would like to see Brentz, Linares and Bradley battle it out for RF with Ross and Nava in LF.

Iggy or Ciriaco at SS. Brooksie at Third. Aviles the super sub or traded. 1 B--Sands, Gomez or Bogy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont want anything to do with any player whos last name is Upton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

What southpaw said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We won't stop with Beckett, CC and other salary dump’s, our FO has taken a huge step to right some of the wrongs.

Cody? I don't see him getting a long term from anyone, he plays better at Fenway because it fits his makeup and if the price is right he may be back.

2-3 years about 7mm per. I wouldre-sign him. hes a perfect fit for this team.

I would try and move him this winter.

Agree 100%

Salty? Again I might give him one more year to prove whether he can show any real signs of improving offensively by getting more walks, less SO and vastly improving his OBP.  I really don’t have an issue with his improved defense. 

Agree. 1 more year will paint a clearer picture of our catching situation without costing a lot.

Papi? If he can finally stop griping about his contract by all means do everything possible to bring him back with a two year, plus third team option if possible.

He needs to retire a Red Sox player. Give him 2 yrs about 12mm per. For what hes given this team, IMO, deserves it.

Pede, isn’tgoing anywhere yet but get rid of Bobby V. and find a more player friendly manager who can still lay down the hammer if things get out of control.

Pedey is the heart and soul of this team.

Iggy, De Jesus, Lav, Gomez and Ciriaco?  Give them more time to develop at the big league level whether it be starting or coming off the bench.  Only trade them if it really improves our team.

I'll agree they need more playing time and some more time to develop. Where they do that is up to the FO.

Aviles, Nava, Sweeney, Valencia, Repko, Lin, Loney and Kalish?  No, for one of the same reasons as Salty.  I could be wrong but don’t see a very high OBP, much power etc. ever developing against AL pitching. 

Nava should have a respectable OPB. 

Padilla and Aceves? are probably heading out in Beckett’s shadow. We don't need hot heads who only play hard if their world is perfect.
    Guys like Cook
    , no more “rehab or cast off” pitchers in the starting rotation please.  I realize we are stuck with Lackey and hope he and De La Rosa can help but enough is enough.

Padilla and Aceves? Thatnks, seeeeya! Lackey could surprise in 2013 and I hope he does. My guess is De La Rosa will start in AAA and we'll take it from there. Let him get his groove back in AAA before he comes to the big club. Needs to gainhis velocity back since his TJS.

Dice K and Jenks?  Finally, is all I will say.

Jenks is gone and his $$ will be at the end of the year. Dice-K? OMG its finally ovah!!!

Miller, Breslow, Mortenson, Hill, Morales and Bailey?  I think they still have worth

Too many LHP in the pen. It would be safe to say that at least one will be involved in a trade this offseason and depending on the deal will decide who it will be.

Could be trade bait, but will have to bring back another arm that makes sense and will immediately mak an impact on this team. If not, I like what i saw from him this year and believe he can be a 15 game winner here.

Jon and Clay? I still believe they can help but if we can improve the club, by all means trade them.

I stick with both of them. If Lester can return to what hes done in the past when most considered him an "Ace" and a Cy Young candidate, it will be to our benefit. Its a risk i would be willing to take. Of course it would depend on the players that would be coming back to Boston in a trade. But realize we have to have a core in our pitching staff too and cant trade everyone. Jon and Clay are those 2 guys right now IMO. I have faith in both of them.

New acquisitions I would kick the tires on?  Guy’s like….Braun, Y. Molina, McCann, Felix, C. Lee, McCutchen, K. Morales or even David Wright if we could turn him into a 1B.

Morales would be the only possibility on that list that MIGHT make sense if Papi isnt re-signed for DH or possibly 1b. Not sure if a couple years ago was a career year for him. depends on what hes asking and who else is available at 1b. Wright probably doesnt want to play 1b and would want a long-term deal if his option isnt picked up.  I think the Braves  have already said theyre probably picking up McCanns option. Cliff Lee? I already posted a trade scenario involving Doubront and the Phillies picking up some cash. Braun, McCutchen, Molina, Felix? IF, and thats a HUGE if, any one of those teams is even willing to listen on a deal, it will cost a ton...

FA’s? Hamilton, McCarthy, Greinke, A. Sanchez?  Not too many I would consider.

The list of "top" FA this year does not get me hyped up at all...Rather find Cody Ross types that will be a fit on this team and in this city than the best available player whether through FA or trade.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What are the chances the Sox could take on another Ray that will not meet or exceed expectations.

Looking at past Rays who left the team and their steep production declines, I'd stay away from BJ.

Justin Upton, however, is a totally different story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not sure what kind of offers Ross will receive, but I expect him back with a deal similar to what Josh Willingham (3 yrs / $21mill) received last offseason. I think its an overpayment, but still would expect it regardless, and it will not be an albatross at those dollars.

Ellsbury will be back for 2013. No one will meet the Sox asking price, and he will be difficult to replace as a leadoff hitter. I expect one more year and a compensation pick. No one likes to acknowledge it, but Bradley is possibly trade bait.

Pen Middlebrooks in for 3B next season.

Salty? Again I might give him one more year to prove whether he can show any real signs of improving offensively by getting more walks, less SO and vastly improving his OBP. I really don’t have an issue with his improved defense.

I would expect both catchers back, though I think Lavarnway will be a more attractive trade piece.

I also expect Papi back for another year or two. And really, his bat will be difficult to replace ,even at his age.

Like Middlebrooks, this name goes into the lineup card in pen.

Iggy, De Jesus, Lav, Gomez and Ciriaco? Give them more time to develop at the big league level whether it be starting or coming off the bench. Only trade them if it really improves our team.

Iglesias is 22, and might be starting SS next season at some point. Ciriaco is very likely to be back as a utility INF. Gomez is 28, and probably bound for Japan. DeJesus, while younger, has no future in Boston, either.

Aviles, Nava, Sweeney, Valencia, Repko, Lin, Loney and Kalish? No, for one of the same reasons as Salty. I could be wrong but don’t see a very high OBP, much power etc. ever developing against AL pitching.

Aviles is a non-tender candidate, especially with the emergence of Ciriaco. Sweeney is probably non-tendered, but might be back if Kalish is not healthy. Repko, Valencia, and Loney are all likely gone. Nava probably stays in the system as a minor league depth in Pawtucket. Lin looks fairly useless. Kalish might possibly find himself platooning with Ross in RF.

Everyone trashes Kalish, but at age 22, he was hitting .294 / .382 / .502 with 13HRs in AA and AAA ball. In AA that year, Kalish hit .293 / .404 / .527 with 8HRs in 180PA. Bradley at age 22 hit .271 / .373 / .432 with 6HRs in 271PA in AA and has yet to play in AAA. Yet Bradley is the future while Kalish is washed up? All the people who want to dump Kalish and Ellsbury and hand CF to Bradley never seem to have a Plan B. Fans who cannot see Bradley ever struggling might need to take this opportunity to learn from history before anointing him the savior.

Padilla is likely gone. Aceves is TBD, but at least also has some trade value.

Guys like Cook, no more “rehab or cast off” pitchers in the starting rotation please. I realize we are stuck with Lackey and hope he and De La Rosa can help but enough is enough.

Be fair to Cook. He was not brought to be in the rotation this long, and was only there to cover for injuries. The Sox do need pitchers like that every year. They are only problematic if they are needed for 20 or so starts, but not much you can do about it. Either sign them and hope you don’t need them, or avoid these fringe pitchers and practice not complaining when inevitable injuries set in and guys are being brought in from the Northern League to pitch meaningful games. I will never forget watching stretch drive games with the post-season on the line, and the Sox trotting out 39yo Steve Ontiveros, who had not thrown a pitch in MLB in 5 years, to start games in September.

Dice K and Jenks? Finally, is all I will say.

Both are gone, possibly retiring from MLB, although Daisuke might catch on somewhere on a small contract.

Miller, Breslow, Mortenson, Hill, Morales and Bailey? I think they still have worth

All are likely to be in the pen at some point, too.

It is possible Doubront is traded, but then this team needs 2 starting pitchers. And Doubront wont be enough on his own to get one of the players you list below.

I would never say they wont be traded, but I have to think this team will retain them. They need to add some good pitchers, not subtract them.

New acquisitions I would kick the tires on? Guy’s like….Braun, Y. Molina, McCann, Felix, C. Lee, McCutchen, K. Morales or even David Wright if we could turn him into a 1B.

I think every name on this list except Morales can be scratched off, since none are likely to be available except McCann, who is a potential free agent, but unfortunately he doesnt fill a glaring need. Morales might be non-tendered, and at the very least might be easy to acquire for this very reason. Braun, Molina, and McCutchen were all extended recently ,as their current teams intend to keep them. Sure, the Sox could ask, there is zero chance any of them (and Wright) are available without giving up at least one of Bradley, Bogaerts or Barnes. And there is no creative package that can change that. Were you the GM of the Brewers, Cardinals, Pirates or Mets, you would ask for those players, too, and without one, would not make a deal. I think Justin Upton, who might actually be available (unlike those players) will cost similarly as well. So my question to you is – who would you trade from the trio of Bogaerts, Bradley or Barnes? You will NOT get one of these players (or equivalent ones who might actually be available) without surrendering at least one top prospect. Assume this is a firm demand and no alternative proposals will be accepted. Everyone wants to acquire the star players, but no one wants to give up what it will take to get them.

Also, thank you for acknowledging the Felix Hernandez Moratorium.

FA’s? Hamilton, McCarthy, Greinke, A. Sanchez? Not too many I would consider.

Id certainly pass on Hamilton. McCarthy seemed like a good fit until his recent injury. I do think the Sox make at least one big FA splash and not waste having a protected pick for once. I think the most likely candidates are Greinke, Peavy and Swisher. I think they will be in on Hamilton, but hopefully not all that in, if you get my drift. I do think the Sox also make some depth signings, such as maybe one or twp pitchers like Chris Young (the pitcher), Chien-Ming Wang, Zach Duke, Rich Harden or Rodrigo Lopez to fill in for the occasional injured pitcher. I know plenty of fans think ”Just use the kids!” Well, if the kids are pitching better than the free agents, then you have two options, right? I would not mind seeing Daisuke on a minor league deal in this capacity, but I doubt he gets that desperate. He will catch on somewhere.