A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes

After hearing the rave reviews about Brentz I found a good scouting article over on soxprospects and it is here for anyone interested:

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Scouting Scratch: A weekend at Hadlock

-The big thing that stuck out about Bryce Brentz in this scouting opportunity was his balance in the box. Brentz is presently staying back much better when attacking fastballs and also showing a lot of trust in his hands. Instead of trying to get the head of the bat out in front of the ball and yank it, he stayed smooth with his weight transfer and kept his hands back during his stride. This allowed Brentz to quickly explode inside of the ball and produce strong backspin when he squared offerings up. He showed extremely quick wrists when barreling up a 91 mph fastball on the inside third during game action on Sunday to line a hard double into the left field corner. Brentz stayed square to the pitcher to keep from opening his hips up too early, which had been plaguing him earlier in the season. I am wary on how he presently handles secondary offerings. He is slow at times picking them up out of opposing pitchers' hands, while lunging out at them. He can certainly improve with his handling of them, but as an aggressive hitter by nature Brentz is going to have to continue to push himself to stay back consistently.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Bumping good conversation after annoying troll flooded the board

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Love the talk about our prospects.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]Love the talk about our prospects. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Speaking of prospects... who do we have healthy that could take a start from Clay? Secondly... who is the logical call up for outfield depth next? Posednick or one of the kids?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes : The reason why I said he was trade bait was that he doesn't seem to follow the mold of a Red Sox mold player.  I wasn't dissing him, I just don't think that he fits into the team philosophy that has been set for the past decade.  Now I don't know if Ben is going to change that a bit, so he might make it to the Sox.  I am merely saying that if he continues to rake then the most likely situation would be to see him traded away. The Sox have a habbit of keeping their highest prospects and sell on hot hitting sub prospects that are still good prospects that don't fit the Red Sox mold or are injured too often.  See Casey Kelly, Bowden,  Raul Alcantara,  Miles Head,  Josh Reddick,  Josh Reddick, Jed Lowrie etc. I see Bradley as the type of Red Sox hitter that we have grown accustomed to having on the team like Youks, Pedroia, Ells etc.
    Posted by RedSoxDOrtiz[/QUOTE]

wasnt sure, so I apologize for misunderstanding you...But like I stated, I dont think you have to have 9 guys in the lineup that all take 9 pitches per AB...IMO, its good to have a couple free-er swingers in the lineup to offset the patient ones and maybe disrupt the pitcher...There has to be balance in everything...Now, If they had OBP's under.300 than thats something different...Brentz and WMB will probably always have more K's that BB, but they should both have respectable enough OBP's to offset that..That and both have about 25+ HR potential and 80+ RBI a year...I dont like the Reynolds comparison to WMB...MR K's over 200 times a year and has terrible defense and WMB, from what Ive seen, is a solid defender as is BB, and I believe both of them will not have nearly as many K's as MR...Id like to see Brentz develop a little more before talking trade bait, that is unless its a no-brainer of a deal...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": Speaking of prospects... who do we have healthy that could take a start from Clay? Secondly... who is the logical call up for outfield depth next? Posednick or one of the kids?

For pitching I think you could give journeyman  Germano a start..He seems to be doing quite well in Pawtucket...Obviously Cook when he's ready...As far as OF goes..Lin has great D and got his first MLB hit last night...Scotty Pods is there and maybe give Hassan a COC...JC Linares hasnt been doing too well his last 10 games, but hes also an option..Not any LHH OF that are ready right now...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes : wasnt sure, so I apologize for misunderstanding you...But like I stated, I dont think you have to have 9 guys in the lineup that all take 9 pitches per AB...IMO, its good to have a couple free-er swingers in the lineup to offset the patient ones and maybe disrupt the pitcher...There has to be balance in everything...Now, If they had OBP's under.300 than thats something different...Brentz and WMB will probably always have more K's that BB, but they should both have respectable enough OBP's to offset that..That and both have about 25+ HR potential and 80+ RBI a year...I dont like the Reynolds comparison to WMB...MR K's over 200 times a year and has terrible defense and WMB, from what Ive seen, is a solid defender as is BB, and I believe both of them will not have nearly as many K's as MR...Id like to see Brentz develop a little more before talking trade bait, that is unless its a no-brainer of a deal... Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE] You are right a couple are fine but less is best for champion caliber teams as seen by our last two in 04 and 07. We won in 2007 with Lugo under 300 OBP and over 300 AB ... Crisp was the only other regular that year with a low OBP of 330. Everyone else was 367 or above Our 2004 team had every regular with an OBP over 365 except the orlando cabrera at 320 OBP SS position... although free swinging nomar had a 367 OBP till the point of the trade

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes : For pitching I think you could give journeyman  Germano a start..He seems to be doing quite well in Pawtucket...Obviously Cook when he's ready...As far as OF goes..Lin has great D and got his first MLB hit last night...Scotty Pods is there and maybe give Hassan a COC...JC Linares hasnt been doing too well his last 10 games, but hes also an option..Not any LHH OF that are ready right now... Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE] Linares was having a great year but his last ten games are horrible. Somebody on soxprospects says he is limping and playing through injury right now. I know nothing of the journeyman... do you? What about Ohlenhoff or however you spell his name for a spot?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Here ya go RSDO...
    http://soxprospects.com/players/germano-justin.htm

So far the numbers look good enough to warrant a spot start IMO....

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]Here ya go RSDO... http://soxprospects.com/players/germano-justin.htm So far the numbers look good enough to warrant a spot start IMO.... Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE] We could certainly do worse...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]Jackie Bradley Jr is the real deal. I live in Columbia, SC and I am a Gamecock alum and have season tickets. He is a joy to watch in person. He is talented yet plays the game the right way. He busts his butt down to first and is an amazing defensive centerfielder. He is also a class act off the field. I think he will be Ellsbury's replacement when he leaves for the money Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE] He has a huge test jumping to AA coming soon... I am trying to keep from gettingtoo excited till then. That said I love all the intangibles people speak of with bradley to compliment the stats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": We could certainly do worse...

yeah, like Buch right now the way hes pitchingTongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes : yeah, like Buch right now the way hes pitching Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE] Its almost like the Sox fear making a Derek Lowe mistake with Clay that haunts them for a decade. Right now they need to get the weak link some time off even if we have to have a journeyman spot start for a couple outings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Its almost like the Sox fear making a Derek Lowe mistake with Clay that haunts them for a decade. Right now they need to get the weak link some time off even if we have to have a journeyman spot start for a couple outings.

Letting Derek Lowe walk was a tough call. Besides the rumored drinking issue, Derek had struggled in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Boston. That's quite different than Buch's quarter season struggle this year, and his melt down 3 years ago.

Lowe in Boston his last 4 years:
    5-10  3.53 1.440 (in relief)
    21-8  2.58  0.974
    17-7  4.47  1.416
    14-12 5.42  1.615 (but a nice playoff run other than the NY series)

He then got a pretty big contract for that time with LAD. Pitching in a big park both in LA and on the road in SD, vs weaker hitters (no DH), he still didn't light the world on fire for that kind of money:

12-15  3.61 1.252
    16-8   3.63  1.266
    12-14 3.88  1.269
    14-11 3.24  1.133 (Contract year)
    Total:
    54-48  3.59  1.20

He then struggled in ATL his 3 years over 4.00 and 3 of 3 over 1.500 WHIP.
    Total in ATL:
    40-39  4.57  1.463 (Paid $45M/3)

I wouldn't call letting Derek walk a haunting experience.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Its almost like the Sox fear making a Derek Lowe mistake with Clay that haunts them for a decade. Right now they need to get the weak link some time off even if we have to have a journeyman spot start for a couple outings. Letting Derek Lowe walk was a tough call. Besides the rumored drinking issue, Derek had struggled in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Boston. That's quite different than Buch's quarter season struggle this year, and his melt down 3 years ago. Lowe in Boston his last 4 years: 5-10  3.53 1.440 (in relief) 21-8  2.58  0.974 17-7  4.47  1.416 14-12 5.42  1.615 (but a nice playoff run other than the NY series) He then got a pretty big contract for that time with LAD. Pitching in a big park both in LA and on the road in SD, vs weaker hitters (no DH), he still didn't light the world on fire for that kind of money: 12-15  3.61 1.252 16-8   3.63  1.266 12-14 3.88  1.269 14-11 3.24  1.133 (Contract year) Total: 54-48  3.59  1.20 He then struggled in ATL his 3 years over 4.00 and 3 of 3 over 1.500 WHIP. Total in ATL: 40-39  4.57  1.463 (Paid $45M/3) I wouldn't call letting Derek walk a haunting experience.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If Buch leaves and does well it will probably haunt a lot more seeing hes got a pretty friendly deal if he pitches the way he can...Tough call, but the kid worries me...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to "Re: A look at the kids Jackie Bradley and Matt Barnes": [QUOTE]Its almost like the Sox fear making a Derek Lowe mistake with Clay that haunts them for a decade. Right now they need to get the weak link some time off even if we have to have a journeyman spot start for a couple outings. Letting Derek Lowe walk was a tough call. Besides the rumored drinking issue, Derek had struggled in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Boston. That's quite different than Buch's quarter season struggle this year, and his melt down 3 years ago. Lowe in Boston his last 4 years: 5-10  3.53 1.440 (in relief) 21-8  2.58  0.974 17-7  4.47  1.416 14-12 5.42  1.615 (but a nice playoff run other than the NY series) He then got a pretty big contract for that time with LAD. Pitching in a big park both in LA and on the road in SD, vs weaker hitters (no DH), he still didn't light the world on fire for that kind of money: 12-15  3.61 1.252 16-8   3.63  1.266 12-14 3.88  1.269 14-11 3.24  1.133 (Contract year) Total: 54-48  3.59  1.20 He then struggled in ATL his 3 years over 4.00 and 3 of 3 over 1.500 WHIP. Total in ATL: 40-39  4.57  1.463 (Paid $45M/3) I wouldn't call letting Derek walk a haunting experience. Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Well it haunted me seeing Matt Clement in his place =)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Matt Clement was doing good until he took a ball off his melon in TB...Poor kid...that vision haunts me...hate to see that kind of stuff happen, no matter who it is...The guy was an AS for us in 2005...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Its almost like the Sox fear making a Derek Lowe mistake with Clay that haunts them for a decade. Right now they need to get the weak link some time off even if we have to have a journeyman spot start for a couple outings. Letting Derek Lowe walk was a tough call. Besides the rumored drinking issue, Derek had struggled in 3 of his last 4 seasons in Boston. That's quite different than Buch's quarter season struggle this year, and his melt down 3 years ago. Lowe in Boston his last 4 years: 5-10  3.53 1.440 (in relief) 21-8  2.58  0.974 17-7  4.47  1.416 14-12 5.42  1.615 (but a nice playoff run other than the NY series) He then got a pretty big contract for that time with LAD. Pitching in a big park both in LA and on the road in SD, vs weaker hitters (no DH), he still didn't light the world on fire for that kind of money: 12-15  3.61 1.252 16-8   3.63  1.266 12-14 3.88  1.269 14-11 3.24  1.133 (Contract year) Total: 54-48  3.59  1.20 He then struggled in ATL his 3 years over 4.00 and 3 of 3 over 1.500 WHIP. Total in ATL: 40-39  4.57  1.463 (Paid $45M/3) I wouldn't call letting Derek walk a haunting experience.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's all true, moon, but it ignores the fact that Lowe had built up a far better and longer track record than Buchholz' 1.4 good seasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Anyone take note of the compensation player we got for Theo?

Aaron Kurcz 

He is quite the strikeout pitcher!  38 Ks in 25 innings since being promoted to AA, yet I don't even see him in the top 40 prospect list for our minor league system.  I have a feeling that will change soon with the highest K/9 in the system right now... even slightly over Barnes for the time being.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Matt Barnes pitches tonight. If he pitches lights out again, I'm thinking they move him up to Portland.

Dylan Bundy has been more lights out than Barnes has been, but he moved up from Low A to High A yesterday. But, Bundy is right out of High School. Barnes pitched college ball.  I even heard that if he continues to blow away hitters, Bundy may make it to Baltimore by September. If you haven't seen them, his numbers are astounding:  30 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 40 K.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Barnes pitches tonight. If he pitches lights out again, I'm thinking they move him up to Portland. Dylan Bundy has been more lights out than Barnes has been, but he moved up from Low A to High A yesterday. But, Bundy is right out of High School. Barnes pitched college ball.  I even heard that if he continues to blow away hitters, Bundy may make it to Baltimore by September. If you haven't seen them, his numbers are astounding:  30 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 40 K.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Barnes isn't going anywhere after this start.  Bundy has certainly pitched oput of this world, but it's only at low A ball.  Considering how high he was drafted, A- should have been a joke, and it was, just maybe a bigger joke than anyone really expected.  Judging by how the O's are handling him, I doubt he even see's AAA this year, although I'm not overly familiar with how they handle their prospects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone take note of the compensation player we got for Theo? Aaron Kurcz  He is quite the strikeout pitcher!  38 Ks in 25 innings since being promoted to AA, yet I don't even see him in the top 40 prospect list for our minor league system.  I have a feeling that will change soon with the highest K/9 in the system right now... even slightly over Barnes for the time being.

I was more excited about Kurcz than Carpenter when he was named, let's see if he can keep this good thing going.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's all true, moon, but it ignores the fact that Lowe had built up a far better and longer track record than Buchholz' 1.4 good seasons.
    True, but nothing about lowe haunted me after he left. That was my point. Same as JBay. Damon. Pedro. Nomar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone take note of the compensation player we got for Theo? Aaron Kurcz  He is quite the strikeout pitcher!  38 Ks in 25 innings since being promoted to AA, yet I don't even see him in the top 40 prospect list for our minor league system.  I have a feeling that will change soon with the highest K/9 in the system right now... even slightly over Barnes for the time being.

Only difference is hes a reliever, not a starter...But still impressive...so far