A Look to 2014 and Beyond: This Winter's FA Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Look to 2014 and Beyond: This Winter's FA Class

Here is a list of possible free agents this winter. I did not include every player or players with a 2014 option. (List is not complete)

C: B McCann, J Saltalamacchia

1B: K Morales, J Morneau, M Morse, M Napoli, J Loney, P Konerko

2B: R Cano

SS: S Drew, J Peralta, B Ryan, C Barnes

3B: M Young 

OF: J Ellsbury, S-S Choo, C Beltran, C Granderson, H Pence, J Kubel, D Murphy, C Hart, LScott, N. Cruz,  D DeJesus

SP: AJ Burnett, M Garza, H Kuroda, T Lilly, R Nolasco, B Colon, C Lewis, T Lincecum, P Maholm, E Santana, J de la Rosa, B Chen,   C Carpenter, P Hughes, J Vargas, D Haren, S Marcum, S Feldman, G Floyd, Jo Johnson, J Hamel, R Hernandez, C-M Wang, B Zito.

RP: G Balfour, J Crain, F Rodney, S Downs, M Albers, K Farnsworth. J Benoit, O Perez, and more...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: A Look to 2014 and Beyond: This Winter's FA Class

I cant recall a weaker group, ever. S/B a wild off season with trades

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The free agent market sure ain't what it used to be.

We have big decisions at C, 1B and SS.

I think we should re-sign Drew.  Beyond that I don't know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think the most likely target overall is Kurt Suzuki, whose option is sure to be declined.  If Bogaerts is at SS, the Sox can afford to sacrifice offense at catcher.

Beyond Suzuki, 1B is the only other position likely to be filled by FA.  And as hou noted, there are a f ew options.  Though Konerko might retire and his best defensive days are long behind him...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

McCann.....go get him BEN C. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

give me McCann and Shoo.... 

I'm borderline on wanting Shoo.....I think i can dig me some shoo though.  That could be a nice offseason.  Shoo can play rightfield, Victorino can platoon with Gomes and spot in provide insurance in Centerfield as well.  McCann gives us an upgrade defensivley and offesnsively at the catcher position. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

lol !!!  I bet he would hit 60 doubles playing half the year year.... He'd be nice in the 3 hole maybe?

My bad on the spelling though..... Shin-Soo Choo

I just realized I was spelling his name wrong as well.  

Choo will come cheaper than Ellsbury and very well may be just as good a player over the next 4-5 years.  He can lead off as well.  Actually just typing this right now is making me like it more and more....McCan and Choo (with players like JBJ and Bogaerts coming up) will make the 2014 team stacked. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm not convinced the Sox would be willing to give McCann the years he wants, though he is an excellent option

I also think Choo won't be any easier to sign than Ellsbury. . Both are Boras clients...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Obviously our holes are OF(Jake), C(salty), 1B(naps), and RP(closer/setup)

Choo, Jake or Granderson in OF works for me, whichever is cheapest option of the three.

McCann over Salty if we can make the dollars/years reasonable.

1B is tough.  I am not thrilled with Naps, although he has not killed us.  Middlebrooks must get better quick to be an option, a JM or Km from OP would certainly be nice.

Closer/Setup man is important to this team.  I'm sure they will get at least one pitcher for next year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

Obviously our holes are OF(Jake), C(salty), 1B(naps), and RP(closer/setup)

Choo, Jake or Granderson in OF works for me, whichever is cheapest option of the three.

McCann over Salty if we can make the dollars/years reasonable.

1B is tough.  I am not thrilled with Naps, although he has not killed us.  Middlebrooks must get better quick to be an option, a JM or Km from OP would certainly be nice.

Closer/Setup man is important to this team.  I'm sure they will get at least one pitcher for next year.

The other big hole is SS and or 3B. Boggy can only play one.  I could see us trying to find a 1 year bridge corner IF'er or a guy like Morse who can play LF if needed.

I'd like to see us get Choo and move Victorino to CF (assuming JBJ does not win the job) or LF.

I think we make a play for McCann, but Susuki might be our choice. I doubt we see Salty back here. Same with Ellsbury.

We may see this: Choo (RF), M Young (3B/1B), Susuki (C), & J Crain (RP).

vs RHPs:

1) RF Choo 

2) CF Vict

3) DH Ortiz 

4) 2B Pedey

5) LF Nava

6) 1B Carp

7) 3B Young

8) SS Boagerts

9) C  Susuki

vs LHPs

1) RF Choo

2) LF Gomes

3) 2B Pedey

4) DH Papi

5) 1B Carp/Nava

6) SS Bogaerts

7) 3B Young (Middy?)

8) C   D Ross

9) CF JBJ (Victorino?)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder if/hope the Sox and Royals might explore a Jon Lester / Billy Butler swap this off-season...

-Shel Silverstein

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If we could sign both McCann & Choo and trade for Butler we'd be so amazingly stacked next year.  I know, I know, I know that's a lot to ask for and I may be dreaming...but just dream with me for ONE minute.  With the Luxury cap going up to 189 we have the room for them, and with more money coming off the books at the end of 2014 + a deep farm we should be able to easily absorb it.  Just imagine this lineup.

Choo

Pedroia

Ortiz

Butler

McCann

Bogaerts

Victorino

Middlebrooks

JBJ.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

I would stay away from Choo. He is batting .180 with 0 homeruns and a .536 ops against lefties. Seeing as we have had many struggles against lefties, this doesnt solve one of our largest problems. That paired with the draft pick compensation and the large contract Boras will surely demand, makes Choo that much less attractive. With those numbers against lefties, he would most certainly have to be platooned, making the contract and draft compensation not worthwhile.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to soxforlife22's comment:

I would stay away from Choo. He is batting .180 with 0 homeruns and a .536 ops against lefties. Seeing as we have had many struggles against lefties, this doesnt solve one of our largest problems. That paired with the draft pick compensation and the large contract Boras will surely demand, makes Choo that much less attractive. With those numbers against lefties, he would most certainly have to be platooned, making the contract and draft compensation not worthwhile.

The problem with splits is they are such a SSS they welcome anomolies.  Don't get me wrong Shoo can't hit LHP nearly as good as he can RHP but his lifetime numbers aren't as bad.  and he still has a .330 OBP this year against lefties so it's not as if he's not getting on base against them.  Gomes is still there to platoon in the outfield and between Bogaerts/WMB/Brentz and possibly another big FA/trade RHH I wouldn't worry about it.

I see your argument in his play may not be worth the cost.....but can't that same argument be used against every single player in the game of baseball? it can.  If you like someone and think they would be a fit then you should want them on your team at the right cost. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I am not convinced the Sox would go aftet Choo, McCann or anyone d lse who woild cost them a draft pick.

If the Sox sign an OF, someone like Carlos Beltran might be a more likely target...

-Shel Silverstein

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I am not convinced the Sox would go aftet Choo, McCann or anyone d lse who woild cost them a draft pick.

If the Sox sign an OF, someone like Carlos Beltran might be a more likely target...

-Shel Silverstein

Realistically I'd put the odds of the Sox signing both of them at .01% which is effectively zero.  I can however see them going hard after one of them; presumably McCann would be the best fit.  I don't think the Red Sox will worry about losing the draft pick because they likely will Net somewhere between 2-3 picks from their own FA plus their draft pick.

The Sox could go out and sign one big time FA and still net between 4-5 picks in the first 2 rounds.  And FWIF next years draft is supposedly stacked, with comparisions to the 2010 draft.  Of course a lot can change and drafts can be a bit of a crap shoot.....but It's still good to here. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In other words...you might lose a pick for signing McCann....but you will get one back from losing Salty

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

McCann.....go get him BEN C. 

Most definitely.  Top priority IMO.

Next, move on from Napoli.  Maybe sign Michael Morse and let the chips fall between him, Carp, WMB with Nava for 1B. 

Got a man-crush for Choo as lead off and RF moving Shane to CF after Ells goes after the mighty $$, but that won't happen. 

Resign Stephen Drew, and let's get the Xander Boegarts 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I wonder if/hope the Sox and Royals might explore a Jon Lester / Billy Butler swap this off-season...

-Shel Silverstein

When the talk of Lester for Wil Myers was out, I mentioned expanding the trade to include Butler.

I kind of like K Morales, but he'd need to stay healthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In other words...you might lose a pick for signing McCann....but you will get one back from losing Salty

You'd need to offer Salty a QO (about $14M/yr) to get a draft pick.

Salty would take it.

If we did go after Choo and McCann, we could only lose one top pick.

We would gain a pick for losing Ellsbury.

I never thought we'd have a chance at getting a pick for Drew, but things are changing. We may get 2 picks and lose 1.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In response to soxforlife22's comment:

The problem with splits is they are such a SSS they welcome anomolies.  Don't get me wrong Shoo can't hit LHP nearly as good as he can RHP but his lifetime numbers aren't as bad.  and he still has a .330 OBP this year against lefties so it's not as if he's not getting on base against them.  Gomes is still there to platoon in the outfield and between Bogaerts/WMB/Brentz and possibly another big FA/trade RHH I wouldn't worry about it.

I see your argument in his play may not be worth the cost.....but can't that same argument be used against every single player in the game of baseball? it can.  If you like someone and think they would be a fit then you should want them on your team at the right cost. 

But if the red sox were to maximize their offense, they would platoon choo with someone like gomes, which by no means gives a poor output offensively, but seems expensive for a player that will only play 65% if you are maximizing your lineups potential.

Also, Choo's stats against lefties have been regressing for many years.

year       OPS

2013      .536

2012     .605

2011     .688

2010     .670

2009     .825

Sections
Shortcuts