A Look to 2014 and Beyond: This Winter's FA Class

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Look to 2014 and Beyond: This Winter's FA Class

If the Shoo fits, you must aquit... something like that...

Undecided

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In other words...you might lose a pick for signing McCann....but you will get one back from losing Salty

No chance Saltalamacchia nets a pick.  Even if offered a QO, he accepts it.

Ellsbury will get a QO, and Drew might but I would not bet on it.  No one else...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I wouldn't be so sure.  Catching is hard to find, really hard to find.  Salty is the second best catcher on the market and it only takes one team to like his offense.

Maybe some teams don't want to lose a pick for him, but I think thee one.  Maybe even a team with a top 10 pick might be much more willing to lose their second one.  

If I'm wrong we are left with Salty, and with no other real replacements that's not a bad deal.  If we can't sign McCann we need Salty back.  offer him a QO and if he takes it, fine that's great.  We will have a catcher familiar with our staff with Vazquez & Swihart one year closer.

As far as I'm concerned everyone should get a QO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ellsbury and I was wondering about Drew.

No way I offer one to Salty.  If he is wanted back, he can still be negotiated with.  But there is no reason ot have him back at double ehat it should take and hamper the team's ability to add salary elesewhere.

Drew might be worth a QO, but I think the Sox should bring Bogaerts up now to play 3B.  If Bogaerts is at 3B, then SS next year is available.  If they are holding Bogaerts to be the SS, then there is no need to make Drew a QO.

The Sox probably do not make Drew a QO and use Middlebrooks at 3B and Bogaerts at SS.  THat is certainly how it looked it was going to be last night.

So it is unlikely Drew gets a QO.

And I think they Sox will once again stick to shorter term deals, and sign players like Kurt Suzuki and Carlos Beltran as stopgap options...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox aren't going to make decisions on who to give an offer on based on only their needs.  What the player is likely to do will have a impact on that decision.  

If the Sox don't have a place for Drew but think he would turn down a QO.....he gets one.  I also doubt Bogaerts is at 3B next year, the team views him as a SS and it's looking like the position will be up for grabs next year.  It's his.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I wouldn't be so sure.  Catching is hard to find, really hard to find.  Salty is the second best catcher on the market and it only takes one team to like his offense.

Maybe some teams don't want to lose a pick for him, but I think thee one.  Maybe even a team with a top 10 pick might be much more willing to lose their second one.  

If I'm wrong we are left with Salty, and with no other real replacements that's not a bad deal.  If we can't sign McCann we need Salty back.  offer him a QO and if he takes it, fine that's great.  We will have a catcher familiar with our staff with Vazquez & Swihart one year closer.

As far as I'm concerned everyone should get a QO

Yes, catching is hard to find, but that doesn't mean they will offer Salty the $14M qualifying offer needed to get a draft pick, if he walks.

Sections
Shortcuts