A nice gesture by John Lackey....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

A nice gesture by John Lackey....

When Lackey arrived at St. Louis, Pat Neshek owned the number 41 on the Cardinals. Neshek did the traditional thing, and gave up his number for the veteran Lackey. Lackey then did the traditional thing and provided Neshek with the obligatory return gift. Neshek, a memorabilia collector, received from Lackey a baseball autographed by Babe Ruth. With certification documents, the item is valued at $25,000--$50,000. Nice gesture. As much maligned as he's sometimes been on this board, (sometimes by myself) I'm glad he was able to help lead the team like he did last year and finally show us the Lackey we all knew as in there. However, playing for the team he does now, I can't exactly wish him the best, only thank him for last year!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: A nice gesture by John Lackey....

Lackey quietly is a great teammate, but you wouldn't know it the way fans piled on with good riddances on his way out...terrible way to treat the John Wayne of the Sox last year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If you go way back to when Lackey was singed, you'll see my posts supporting this contract. And you won't find any threads I started bashing him when he was down either.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I bashed him to pieces constantly during the first 2 years...and I did a 180 turn and have nothing but utmost respect, admiration, and he proved to me what a great competitor he really is...he was like that with the Angels, and he did what the Sox asked him to do when they first got him...be that reliable SP in the biggest games of the season...that's all you can ask for a SP. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I bashed him to pieces constantly during the first 2 years...and I did a 180 turn and have nothing but utmost respect, admiration, and he proved to me what a great competitor he really is...he was like that with the Angels, and he did what the Sox asked him to do when they first got him...be that reliable SP in the biggest games of the season...that's all you can ask for a SP. 

it was the right thing to do

we had some money and Bay was being ridiculous.  i felt that going for a quality starting pitcher w/ post season success was a better way to spend the money.  i thought the contract was much until i saw the $500K option year..........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was fine with the signing too when it happened and was disappointed in his performance, which was unfortunately not up to Lackey stuff. But the injury explained everything and once he was rehabbed, it all came together for him and the Sox in '13. I wish we had him now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

we had some money and Bay was being ridiculous.  i felt that going for a quality starting pitcher w/ post season success was a better way to spend the money.  i thought the contract was much until i saw the $500K option year..........

lol....you are full of "it".  it wasnt an option year in the traditional sense.....it was fine print if he had arm surgery and missed a significant portion of a season.  

so are you saying that when we signed him you were ok with the contract because you knew he would miss a season or two with TJ????  funny stuff.  terrible job by you trying to pat yourself on the back for this one.  lolz.

other names i have posted under:  none

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought the original signing made sense, but was unhappy with the results.  I probably bashed him, but pulled back when he had the tommy john surgery.  Last year was I thought huge for him and the team.  He is the guy, not Lester, who beat Verlander at his best in an absolutely crucial game in the ALCS.  This year he was good again.  It does irritate me when he reacts so much to everything going on around him.  But that is obviously part of his makeup. 

Agree with the OP.  A heckuva gesture. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

max, John Wayne Lackey...he came to the mound in a 10-gallon hat and fought off the bad guys. '13 was a magical year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

lol....you are full of "it".  it wasnt an option year in the traditional sense.....it was fine print if he had arm surgery and missed a significant portion of a season.  

so are you saying that when we signed him you were ok with the contract because you knew he would miss a season or two with TJ????  funny stuff.  terrible job by you trying to pat yourself on the back for this one.  lolz.

other names i have posted under:  none

call it what you want it was a great clause; one of Theo's last good moves.

and keep throwing obscenities and being presumptious

Sections
Shortcuts