A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey...

I agree that trading Lackey would require to give up a lot from the Red Sox.  In the long run, it still would be a good idea.  The pitching staff would automatically improve without Lackey.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey...

In Response to Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter.:
    [QUOTE]I agree that trading Lackey would require to give up a lot from the Red Sox.  In the long run, it still would be a good idea.  The pitching staff would automatically improve without Lackey.   
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

If you have to give up a prospect, pay most of his salary, and take Hudson back...dumb idea.

Just DFA him, wait ten days, and release him.  If you have to pay his salary already why give up a prospect and take back a player and contract they don't need or want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter.:
    [QUOTE]If you have to give up a prospect, pay most of his salary, and take Hudson back...dumb idea. Just DFA him, wait ten days, and release him.  If you have to pay his salary already why give up a prospect and take back a player and contract they don't need or want.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

you are right.  Just releasing him would be a much better idea.  Anyway to get rid of Lackey for next season would help the Red Sox next year.  Lackey may become a better pitcher in a different environment and for a team that has less pressure and not the media attention that he receives in Boston.  He was a much better pitcher before he was signed by the Red Sox.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Pay his salary to pitch for Padres and send along 2 prospects. Horrible trade. If Sox are going to pay him to pitch elsewhere then that is pretty much all they should offer period.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Pay his salary, take back a bad one and give up a prospect? Only Theo would do this! Bad idea all around.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from VtRedSoxFan802. Show VtRedSoxFan802's posts

[QUOTE]This makes no sense. I wouldn't do it.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    same here..give up give up and pay pay pay this is what got us into this mess in the first place. Nice how easily people make decisions using someone else's money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I doubt John Henry would just DFA him and say they f'ed up that bad...

No team does that with very high priced players...

If it was Lackey + money for O Dawg, I would do that in a second...

Hudson is expensive, but he's a great clubhouse guy, which is very high on the offseason check list right now...

The chemistry in the Red Sox clubhouse is laughable right now...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]If you have to give up a prospect, pay most of his salary, and take Hudson back...dumb idea. Just DFA him, wait ten days, and release him.  If you have to pay his salary already why give up a prospect and take back a player and contract they don't need or want.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  SD had a team payroll of 45 million this year, so you have to think they wouldn't take on much more than 6-7 million a year on Lackey, meaning the Red Sox would still be on the hook 8 million+ a year.  Plus, what are the Red Sox gonna do with Hudson, play him at SS? 

This is going to be the only kind of option that is available for trading Lackey, so I agree with you, just DFA him and eat the 45 million instead of giving up prospects to eat 30 million.  Or run him out there every 5 days.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It sounds like an addition by subtraction move but be assured the Sox won't get out of it on the cheap.     It will cost not only some money but a prospect or 2 in an already thin Sox farm system which can ill afford to have a farm sytem set back any more than it already is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter.:
    [QUOTE]From MLB Trade Rumors: A Padres official tells Tom Krasovic of the Inside Padres blog that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter.  Krasovic thinks Lackey could benefit from pitching at Petco Park and reuniting with Bud Black, who was Lackey's pitching coach with the Angels.  Krasovic proposes a trade that would require Boston to pay most of Lackey's salary, take Orlando Hudson in return and also send "a young big leaguer or a good prospect, or two" back to the Padres.  It sounds lopsided in San Diego's favor, but given how low Lackey's stock has fallen, the Red Sox will have to meet similar trade criteria in any potential Lackey deal.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Hudsen really has no value to the Sox at 2B or against lefties who he struggles with, our best bet would be to find a third team interested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This is the blog where the rumor came from:

http://insidethepadres.blogspot.com/2011/10/lackey.html

It's written by a Padre fan who wants to get the better of the trade for San Diego.I think he has some valid points for a trade to the Padres,like Lackey would benefit from pitching in a bigger park and Bud Black (Padres Manager) was Lackeys pitching coach for the Angels,but he's also very biased.If there could be a more reasonable compromise of players and money,it could be beneficial to both clubs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Preposterous...Lackey, unfortunately, isn't going anywhere....and certainly not in a trade where we pay his salary , for the most part, AND give up young , talented ballplayers..er, what am I saying,...should have read "young ballplayers".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I just don't see the Sox giving up on Lackey yet.  For better or worse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'm pretty certain that the Sox will explore any and all options to trade him and if one presents itself that makes sense, they'll bite. I doubt very much they'll eat all of his contract or take on someone elses problem child or underperformer...that makes little sense in the big picture...

My gut tells me that they'll spend the winter exploring all of the options and arrive at what is the best solution for the team. What none of us know, is if his elbow was or is the cause of his struggles last year...Or just how much his personal issues with his wife played a role...Becasue if he can't pass a physical, then he has no trade value and it's incumbent on the Sox to shut him down and get it fixed...

In the end the best solution for the Sox is to figure out what's wrong and challenge both Lackey and the new pitching coach to fix it. All they need from him is to give them 30 to 35 starts, 190 to 200 innings and a sub 4.75 era...

A side note, I've often wondered if the clause in his contract if he has elbow surgery and is force to miss time due to it that gives the team another year at pennies on the dollar has contributed to his struggles. In effect pitching not to get hurt?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Correct that this is a Padre fan dream.

Pay you to give you my prospects?  Hysterically funny.  In fact, I wonder if I might know that Padre fan ... (HI, DAVE). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Correct that this is a Padre fan dream. Pay you to give you my prospects?  Hysterically funny.  In fact, I wonder if I might know that Padre fan ... (HI, DAVE). 
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]
    Good luck getting a better offer ... or any offer ... for John Lackey.

Chances are that Lackey will get an opportunity in the 2012 Red Sox rotation to improve on his 2011 numbers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter. : Good luck getting a better offer ... or any offer ... for John Lackey. Chances are that Lackey will get an opportunity in the 2012 Red Sox rotation to improve on his 2011 numbers.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I agree...In the end it comes down to WAR...and WAR places a lot of value on IP...that's what the Sox need from Lackey in 2012...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lackey's not going anywhere, unless we trade him for an equally overpaid salary dump player with issues.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Padres official says that it "is not farfetched at all" that San Diego would consider a trade for John Lackey this winter. : I agree...In the end it comes down to WAR...and WAR places a lot of value on IP...that's what the Sox need from Lackey in 2012...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    I agree that John Lackey has underappreciated value because of his innings pitched. It's his salary that's a deal-breaker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I entirely agree that Lackey was terrible this year.  He did have a few good games and his record is pretty much even in W/L column. 

Lackey is a fly ball pitcher in a hitters park.  How did they not see this going down like this.  His attitude is disgusting and I just don't like him.

BUT, I am not down with paying him to play elsewhere.  I would have him as the 5th starter.  He had the most quality starts for us a year ago.  I think he has more value to us than he does b eating his contract and taking a bad contract back. 
    For soem reason I still see the Mets as a possible option.  Maybe a Bay for Lackey deal.  Use Bay as the DH.  At least he would have some value to us. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

keep him ...no way he could have a bad year like this year....if they bring in a good manager who won't put up with the entitlement attitude... Lackey has skills...this year was out of the ordinary..he isn't great...but he is a good serviceable...3-4 era type pitcher.

Sections
Shortcuts