A Positive View from a Recently Turned Pessimist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: A Positive View from a Recently Turned Pessimist

sample size?  rofl!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Last 2 years:

They have a thing called sample size, and they have a thing called lying with statistics. They also have a thing called full season of production and RBI's, HR's and Runs. They also have a thing called showing up for work.

Don't patronize people with your Wakefield style propaganda snipet samples, and then say "I'd rather have AGon".

Clown, I said I'd much rather have AGon over Naps, but that the OPS differential was not that great, and your meager attempt to link the OPS differential to park factors was not based in facts (surprise-surprise).

Do I need to spell it out fot for you?

Yes, AGon is much better in other areas such as RBIs, HRs, Runs, and fielding. I thought maybe you could imply that, but I guess that is beyond your abilities, since you can't even comprehend what is clearly stated, let alone what is implied.

Agon is twice as good as Naps and is getting paid nearly twice as much as Naps.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Nice, now if Napoli only spent most of his career in Petco, and AGon spent most of his career in Anaheim and Arlington. 

Your response is valid; however, the park is only one variable why Napoli's career OPS is a tick shy of AGON's.

Another variable is that Napoli is great at drawing walks and has legitimate 30 HR power (he has more HR/PA than Mike Piazza+juice).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Napoli in PETCO? Easily a max of 15 homer, 60 ribbies, and 104 games played on average

Why do you hate the guy so much?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Because you keeep trying to compare him to AGON.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nice, now if Napoli only spent most of his career in Petco, and AGon spent most of his career in Anaheim and Arlington. 

Don't let facts get in the way of your preconceiced notions.

Park rankings: below 100 is a pitcher's park/above 100 is a hitter's park.

With Naps:

975 PAs Angel stadium is considered a pitcher's park. (park rank: 92/91)

527 PAs Ranger's Ballpark (hitter's park). (112/111)

Nap's 3rd and 4th most visited parks:

170 PAs Oakland Col (97/97)

147 PAs Safeco(90/91)

With AGon:

1664 PetCo (pitcher's park)

636 Fenway (Hitter's heaven)

273  Dodger Stad. (pitcher's park)

228 Coors Field (Hitter's heaven)

218  AT&T  (pitcher's park)

201  Chase Field (AZ) 

168  Rangers BPK

They also have a stat that adjust a player's OPS for the parks they play in game by game. It is called OPS+.

Career:

Naps:  126  (Last 2 years: 110, 173)

AGon:  136 (Last 2 years: 116, 155)

I'd much rather have AGon than Naps for many many reasons, but as far as the OPS comparison goes, they are pretty close regardless of what parks they mostly played in.

Which is why we shouldnt let Naps walk if something might go wrong with his hip.  If something is already wrong with his hip, I'll understand.  However, considering the Sox havent walked away, Im hopeful that they see a lot of wear and tear and not an existing tear.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

For heavens sake please tell me since the day it was declared Napoli was being signed.... please tell us all what has happened?

I told you over and over he was not healthy, I told you his averages were based on fewer games played then IRON MEN such as Pujols and AGON.... but you persited how he was BETTER than them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Agon is twice as good as Naps and is getting paid nearly twice as much as Naps.

Not true.  AGOn is like 40% better and 100% more expensive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Because you keeep trying to compare him to AGON.

Then hate me.  At least give him a fair chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

lol. You are banking on him taking us somehwere this year. Just stop with it already. You are defending a dead man walking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

For heavens sake please tell me since the day it was declared Napoli was being signed.... please tell us all what has happened?

I told you over and over he was not healthy, I told you his averages were based on fewer games played then IRON MEN such as Pujols and AGON.... but you persited how he was BETTER than them.

I never said he was better than Pujols or AGOn.  A better value than AGON at 50% of the cost but never better.

I would have matched LAA offer for Pujols if I was the GM.

How the heck do I know what happened w/ the physical?  I do know that Ive seen many red flags raised during physicals and many turn into false alarms.  I also know that in 2013, you come back stronger from most surgeries than you were pre-injury.  He's 31, not old by any stretch.

I just hope that if they saw something w/ his hip, they tried to fix it before trying to back away.  I know that there are still other options out there (LaRoche is one of the most consistent ballplayers in MLB); however, Napoli is a VERY good hitter.  And a good signing for 13M/yr in a market where Torii Hunter (90 yrs older, career OPS .800, not the defender he use to be) gets 16 or where Edwin Jackson (mediocre pitcher in teh NL) get 16M.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

lol. You are banking on him taking us somehwere this year. Just stop with it already. You are defending a dead man walking.

I dont know 100% that whatever they discovered istreatable.  However, I know with almost 100% certainty that you dont know that it isnt.

Most injuries do not end careers at 31 yrs old.  Who knows if there is even injury, it could be that they only found signs that there might be an injury down the road.

The Sox have a history of being OCD about physicals.  Its why things turned sour w JBAY.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

OMG.... you have put yourself on a limb and you are going to jump up and down on that limb regardless of common sense....

Then you try to throw it off by saying "if you HATE me"....  I do not hate you. Not that itn would matter to you anyhow. 

If I go 1 for 1 today and never play again you would say hey this guy has a 1000 BA..... he is better than the guy who went 3200 for 500 this year! 

Sound silly? Yes. As silly as you comparing a 104 game a year player to 155+ game icons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

BTW someone 31 who never plays more than 104 games ayear does not all of a sudden play in 140. And who will hit homers those 50 games he is on the DL? Who will play 1st when his lame azz hip keeps him on the bench? What about Ortiz? Isn't he the DH? 

Yet you parade Napolis value.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

BTW someone 31 who never plays more than 104 games ayear does not all of a sudden play in 140. And who will hit homers those 50 games he is on the DL? Who will play 1st when his lame azz hip keeps him on the bench? What about Ortiz? Isn't he the DH? 

Yet you parade Napolis value.

yeah but he is going to play exclusively 1st base..... except when in NL parks...

without the rigors of catching don't you think he will start in more than 104 games?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BTW someone 31 who never plays more than 104 games ayear does not all of a sudden play in 140. 

Napoli played 140 games in 2010 at age 28, then 113 and 108.

This is very similar to Marco Scutaro who didn't play more than 48 MLB games until 2004 when he played in 137 at age 28, then 118 and 117.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

OMG.... you have put yourself on a limb and you are going to jump up and down on that limb regardless of common sense....

Then you try to throw it off by saying "if you HATE me"....  I do not hate you. Not that itn would matter to you anyhow. 

If I go 1 for 1 today and never play again you would say hey this guy has a 1000 BA..... he is better than the guy who went 3200 for 500 this year! 

Sound silly? Yes. As silly as you comparing a 104 game a year player to 155+ game icons.

Your durability concerns are valid, noone is disputing that.  I just believe that the stick warrants doing whatever we can to fit it in the lineup.  If that means paying 200K to get him surgery before we've even signed him: fine.  

I understand that he isnt the player that AGOn is.  I was just using AGON's OPS as a benchmark to illustrate my belief that Napoli is very skilled at the plate.  Draws walks / hits for a ton of power.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Your durability concerns are valid, noone is disputing that.  I just believe that the stick warrants doing whatever we can to fit it in the lineup.  If that means paying 200K to get him surgery before we've even signed him: fine.  

I understand that he isnt the player that AGOn is.  I was just using AGON's OPS as a benchmark to illustrate my belief that Napoli is very skilled at the plate.  Draws walks / hits for a ton of power.

Drew, how's it feel to have your views continously misrepresented?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Helpful.  After seeing someone misinterpret my views, I roll my eyes, close the internet browser, and get back to work.

Probably for the best, haha. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Helpful.  After seeing someone misinterpret my views, I roll my eyes, close the internet browser, and get back to work.

Merry Christmas Drewski, have some solice in knowing that at least one poster understood what you meant (and actually agrees with you).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Merry Christmas Drewski, have some solice in knowing that at least one poster understood what you meant (and actually agrees with you).

Merry Christmas, Moon!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Make that 2. I understand the comparison. Id also be very cautious moving forward with naps. Good hitter or not.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Make that 2. I understand the comparison. Id also be very cautious moving forward with naps. Good hitter or not.

gotta be careful with hip injuries. hard to say wether we should back out of the deal or finalize it without knowing the severity of the injury. My gut tells me to walk away and trade salty/lava, BP arms and/or the beloved "farm scraps" for a 1Bman

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

gotta be careful with hip injuries. hard to say wether we should back out of the deal or finalize it without knowing the severity of the injury. My gut tells me to walk away and trade salty/lava, BP arms and/or the beloved "farm scraps" for a 1Bman

Morse would be a good fallback. However, it would cost 2 top prospects for 1 yr of Morse.  He is a free agent after the year.

If you could work out a 3/39 extension for Morse, then I'd be for the trade.  However, I cant see Morse signing this considering that he is one of the best free agents in next year's upcoming class.

Also, as you mentioned, we dont know teh specifics of Naps injury.  I just hope that we are simultaneously treating the injury during negotiations.  A healthy Naps is a very good hitter and a good signing.  We shouldnt walk away unless there is real, non-treatable damage there.  The fact that we havent walked away tells me that there isnt.

And Paul Goldschmidt is not available.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Whatever the case, the Sox are in the drivers seat on this one. Have to wait til after Christmas to find out about that and the Hanrahan deal too.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts