A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

m

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Boomer, if Crawford batted second and Ellsbury lead-off, it would create lefty-lefty situation.  To take advantage of the speed tandem between the two, someone would have to hit ninth.  This way, Pedroia would remain in his comfortable number two situation.  I guess the question is whose ego would be less bruised. I beg to differ with you, but I just cannot imagine Crawford EVER being a number three hitter.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. I was impresseed with the way Gonzales fared against lefty pitching.  Not only because he hit well, but also because he didn't bail out and looked comfortable against them.  I can say the same thing about Ellsbury....not Drew.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Crawford isn't a typical  #3 hitter, but I agree with Boom in that he can be effective there, especially against right-handed pitching. With AGONE aboard and Papi off to a nice start, we really don't need CC to be a thumper. He can make things happen - his own way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's why we should have another experienced catcher (proven good in CERA-related areas) on the roster from day one. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need Wake, Jake and Jed to catch fire and softy/GM will poof...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Moon, you're right with your Ellsbury, Crawford tandem.  The way Ellsbury hits lefties, the L-R thing doesn't matter.

Didn't you show that Pedroia's numbers drop when in the 3rd position? Maybe I'm wrong here.  Do you think this is where he should be hitting?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We all hope he makes it and he does have a ton of potential. A lot of empirical data indicates that he should become an above average catcher in this league. It's just that in several instances he has completely imploded. Completely.

I hope it's the expectation thing. When he was with Atlanta everyone said "top catching prospect in the game". Then he was in tremendous demand and involved in one trade rumor after another. He ends up in Texas with great hype. He completely implodes there. They had one loser after another rated higher than him in Texas. They gave up quickly, but possibly with reason? 

Maybe it's just that he is pressing. Maybe he just needs reassurance and that is possibly what he has gotten from the Sox, being declared the starter and given the nod even against LH pitching the first 4 games. It could be great if he emerges a star. That doesn't always happen though. Craig Hansen? Many, Many others. Sometimes the fairy tale ends badly.

I think he is worth the risk and I sincerely think he has the goods to succeed. He's certainly worth the try. I'd have to give it 50/50 potential of succeeding at this point though, as a starting level catcher for the Redsox. I think they thought this team was so good that they could be patient with him. How long will they roll him out there unless we start winning though. 

If Tek catches tonight, don't we expect to win? Even with Dice K. We need to get to that point with Salty.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

I would imagine that Francona will something creative Friday re the batting order.

Pedroia, Craw, Agon, Youk, Ortiz, Scut, JD, Salty, Ells.

Sox have to be one PO'd team, maybe that will work for them against Yanks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The perspective of FOX baseball columnist Jon Paul Morosi:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-struggles-sign-team-not-as-good-as-advertised-040611

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Pedroia is not a 3 hitter. Crawford needs to go to leadoff to say, Ellsbury to 9. Lester did his job, as I expected. There isn't any excuse for every player not knowing exactly what his role and lineup spot was going to be. Before the season started, only the delusional thought that Crawford belonged in the 3 spot. Adjustments still have to be made, and, as I said before the season, Crawford's only spot is leadoff in this lineup. I also said that management will be forced to make lineup adjustment with Crawford, and that won't be putting him at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9. With 156 games to go, plenty of time to make the adjustments.

Wakefield's ERA in a mop-up role isn't worthy of any comment. That roster spot needs to go to Aceves, so there isn't a single player who can only mop out of the pen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Pedroia is not a 3 hitter. Crawford needs to go to leadoff to say, Ellsbury to 9. Lester did his job, as I expected. There isn't any excuse for every player not knowing exactly what his role and lineup spot was going to be. Before the season started, only the delusional thought that Crawford belonged in the 3 spot. Adjustments still have to be made, and, as I said before the season, Crawford's only spot is leadoff in this lineup. I also said that management will be forced to make lineup adjustment with Crawford, and that won't be putting him at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9. With 156 games to go, plenty of time to make the adjustments. Wakefield's ERA in a mop-up role isn't worthy of any comment. That roster spot needs to go to Aceves, so there isn't a single player who can only mop out of the pen.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, how many of our present relievers can currently start?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

All of Wakefield's appearances have been mop-up duty. He's been poor in doing that no stress situation. Wakefield needs to go, which is completely independent of the poor start to the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

0-5 is magnified when you consider the long winter wait and the hope of better things to come after 2010. It's very disheartening. What concerns me is how deep the problems (that created this start) run.

Is it a fluke? Or is it a sign of things to come?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I think the loss can be summed up with the following failures, in order of damage factor:

1. Another Marginal Starter Outing
    2. Ellsbury failing to reach base in 5 attempts (cost 3 runs)
    3. An overwroked pen
    4. Varitek's brain cramp

However, assuming the starting pitching ends up with 3 guys pitching well for a full season, I think this debacle start will be forgotten as the Red Sox cruise into the playoffs. Spring training was not good, in the aggregate, and poor decisions created vacillation and a team with players who were not put in the best positions to succeed. Adjustments have been started, but a few others need to be made, and they will, eventually.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah yeah its okay - just certain others complain that this is not just as much about entertainment as it is serious sports talk.  Just a matter of opinion and I think both are important.

0-5 is not a big deal - just really blows.  Next thing you know they will go 8-2 over the next 10 and 8-7, as if 0-5 never happened.

"disheartening" was the word I was looking for but I ended up with "blows'... sad really.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from .Babe... Show .Babe..'s posts

[QUOTE]Compare his targets to that of Tek. Both make last second maneuvering, but Tek then keeps his target stationary for as long as possible. Salty's target is much too brief, IMO.

Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

How well did tek's stationary target work out last night?

Oh, that's right, you only give tek the credit when they pitch well and none of the blame when they get shelled.

Give it a rest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

M1A, if you subscribe to CERA, Varitek just gave up 7 runs. Not good. Wakefield mopped by giving up another homer. Keep Crawford and Pedroia out of the 3 spot and move Ellsbury to the 9 spot. The starting pitching has been so bad that the pen is overloaded. They need to trade or release Wakefield and use Aceves. They could have done to Aceves in the 6th, instead of more taxing on Reyes and Wheeler in the early meltdown mode. Pretty clear that Tito got orders from Theo to go with Crawford in the 3 spot. Big mistake. This team wasn't properly prepared with proper lineup order in spring training. The good news is that this debacle is at the beginning of the season, so there is still time for Theo to adjust and admit his mistakes on setting the roster and the roles of the players on the roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Just read in the Globe's EXTRA BASES where Tek said he couldn't tell if Youk had touched the bag first. Youk said the same thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh, there's plenty of hope. The problem is, if this team digs a hole too deep, their normal mental approach can easily be altered. 0-6 is a challenge to quickly overcome. The team is now 0-16 counting ST.
    An 0-16 hole beyond ST becomes an early grave.

This is either the best time to play NY...or the absolute worst.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is possible for this team to develop a "losing attitude" and dig a hole that they can't recover from; even with all the talent.

Of course it's possible. The Sox have a long history or underperforming when favorites, but that was mostly before the newest management change.

I remember thinking back in '75, that we's have a good team in a year or two. I remember thinking '86 was "too early". I remember after those two years we should have won andwe didn't. What about 2005 and 2008?

Maybe a losing streak early will humble some guys and they will "get over it" and get hot when it counts. 

I'm still not concerned. The rotaion will now have it's second turn. If we ae 0-10 or 2-8, I'll start to get mildly worried.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I was astounded when Varitek 'forced' the runner at home....unbelievable.

I hate to say it, but perhaps a George Steinbrenner type outburst is needed.  Unfortunately, it's not Theo's or Henry's personality.

We'll probably all feel better after a 12-run outburst soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let me get this straight: I gather you don't much care for Tim Wakefield.
    Is it safe to make this assumption?

It's softy trying to wriggle his way onto a thread he has denounced for months.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Dice was definitely sharper in the latter stages of ST.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

...and the mountain keeps getting bigger.
    At this rate, we'll be playing into May just trying to get to .500.

As a old ex-moundsman and current horseplayer, I can relate to the feeling players are experiencing. Right now, they feel like they will never win again.
    They know they will, but that's how it feels.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

BaseballGM, It's way too early in the season--plus Monday was off--for this bullpen to be overworked.  I'm guessing Reyes has problems throwing in cold weather, but in any case he has pitched a total of 1.2 innings in 9 days.  Wheeler has pitched 2.1 innings in 9 days.  Ellsbury didn't help, that's for sure.  But Youk was much worse.  He twice came up with runners on, including a man on third, and both times struck out. Varitek's brain cramp cost one run.  Reyes hit two batters and couldn't throw a strike to a guy trying to bunt, and Wheeler had to groove a fastball because he couldn't throw anything else.  Between them they gave up 4 earned runs in one inning.  Oh, and that "double play" ball was actually a line shot off of Youk's glove.  The hitting hasn't won any games, but the elephant in the room is the pitching.  It was lousy last year and hasn't--not yet, anyway--improved.  An ERA of over 8, dead last in MLB. So far Wakefield has been a godsend, the trash man who eats innings when the starters and other relievers have put the game out of reach.  Of 12 pitchers, he has the 3d best ERA. 
    Posted by M1A2

I agree, Youkilis has looked awful so far.  Ellsbury has not looked good at all either.  Either way, eventually these bats will heat up.  In addition to these two:  Crawford, Drew, Scutaro, Salty are all better hitters to this.  Pedroia has done okay while A-Gon seems to be right where the Sox want him.

The bullpen I'm honestly not all that worried about.  It's better than last year, plain and simple.  There's better arms and more importanly more arms in there.  This isn't going to all rest on Bard.

The starting pitching deserves 80% of the blame for this ugly start.  If I were to give grades...

Lester- D
    Lackey- F
    Buchholz- C
    Beckett- C
    Dice-K- C+

What's really bad is does anyone have faith in Lester today?  I love this guy as a pitcher and am certain he will turn things around but I can't get over his slow starts.  I now expect him to not do well in the next 4-5 starts.  It's just the way it is.  Either way, today is a must-win.  Make no mistake.

Sections
Shortcuts