A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    We did not need an OF this year. We did not need another hitter who is way better vs RHPs. Just my opinion.
    Posted by moonslav59

I can certainly see that.  It does make you wonder if they really targeted Crawford for 2012 and beyond, and that the plan is to acquire a right-handed hitting outfielder for 2012, which means either Ellsbury or Kalish is not in the plans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Hfxsoxnut - Not just Ellsbury but JD Drew as well.  Both are in walk years.  So is Cameron. 

Crawford is the first piece of that puzzle.  Too early to speculate on the others, IMO.  But not to early to say that the 2012 OF will be almost completely rebuilt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

(Damn this reply button) summer, yes, I was just assuming Drew would be gone.  Not because I don't like him but because of the price tag. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury is not in a "walk year".
    Ellsbury hits righties and lefties about the same, so withim it is not about what side of the plate he hits from.

We lose Drew and Cam.

I think Theo prefers Ells in LF than CF, so in that sense, the Crawford deal makes no sense. Neither can play RF in Fenway. We illstill need to get a RF'er unless kalish, Linares, or Reddick step up quickly.

$142M was a lot to spend for 2012, and then to keep spending after his prime years a bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Dice-K just threw back to back gems and has totally dumbfounded 90% of the so-called Nation.

The talent is there - let us hope for another 18 win season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Dice-K pitching his second great game in a row.  Has Young reached these guys?

Hasn't been a lot to applaud with Salty, but I still think we have to give him 50 games to see what he's going to do.  I can remember when Pedey didn't look so good, Buch, and others.  I just don't think now is the time to pull the plug.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Another GREAT game for Matsuzaka.  This is the same guy who I said a while back was on the downward slippery slope. 

Well, so much for my credibility.  

I never thought that being so wrong could feel so good!

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think anybody will ever figure out Dice-K, but maybe Young and Tek have him feeling comfortable.  He's showing once again what his capabilities are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What a great boost to this team's outlook!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Perhaps the massacre of a game he threw was actually a turning point between very good and very bad.  Something obviously has severed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Perhaps the massacre of a game he threw was actually a turning point between very good and very bad.  Something obviously has severed.
    Posted by BurritoT

Dice-K admitted that he was very nervous the following game because he felt like he was pitching to keep his job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, let's hope he stays nervous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Awesome - 18-8 here we come!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

I feel so great that I might order room service for some sauteed Cocker Spaniel  with a side order of Kerin Terrier legs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We've won 6 out of 7 and the two games before these 7, we lost by 1 run each.

Keep it going guys!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I finally threw up my hands this spring with Matsuzaka also. I held in there until his first 2 starts but iut's great to see him contribute. It's like magic sometimes. Looks pretty much the same and sometimes they smack him around and the next game he gets a 1 hitter. He is certainly one of the best pitchers in Japanese baseball history. We have to keep trying to remember that!

Looking at Rizzo's numbers this year so far. Remember he's still 21 years old and just jumped to AAA level ball. He is on pace to be the best prospect in baseball the way he's going. .452 average. An OBP above .500. The guy is slugging .839 with an OPS of OVER 1.300. 24 RBI in 15 games. 6 HR and 6 doubles:

Good for him but I sure wish we kept him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I finally threw up my hands this spring with Matsuzaka also. I held in there until his first 2 starts but iut's great to see him contribute. It's like magic sometimes. Looks pretty much the same and sometimes they smack him around and the next game he gets a 1 hitter. He is certainly one of the best pitchers in Japanese baseball history. We have to keep trying to remember that! Looking at Rizzo's numbers this year so far. Remember he's still 21 years old and just jumped to AAA level ball. He is on pace to be the best prospect in baseball the way he's going. .452 average. An OBP above .500. The guy is slugging .839 with an OPS of OVER 1.300. 24 RBI in 15 games. 6 HR and 6 doubles: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519203 Good for him but I sure wish we kept him.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Boomer, buddy.  I feel your hurt, but you've got to let go of this prospect thing because either you'll have a coronary, ulcers, or both.   Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The way the starters have stepped up is great. We need these wins now and we will need them at the end of the year also, come wild card time.

We need to put a stop to the Yankees train also. Have another couple cheeseburgers Colon. Go ahead. It's OK!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and softy thought SD got chumps for AGon.

They got who they wanted, and it wasn't Jake and Jed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Here is where those speedy OF pay off. In places like Anaheim.

If we can get all the bats actually hitting with RISP position watch out. We are hitting like .190 with RISP so far this year. That is God awful!

This train could generate some serious momentum if we can string some hits together along with this starting pitching success.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I never thought that being so wrong could feel so good!"

Agreed! I thought Dice was done, at least in the AL East. Great win!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tito is deploying Salty with Lester/Lackey.
    Tek handles Josh/Dice.
    Who handles Buch can go either way.
    This is the way to do it: The determining factor as to who catches which game should depend on who's pitching for us, not for the opposition.

Moon, if not for CC, the team would have to depend on Cam as an everyday presence. Do you feel comfortable with that?
    Who else is ready?
    Kalish might be lost for the season.

Crawford hardly looks like a "team need" right now, but that will change. He's showing positive signs recently. The guy was trying to impress, and ended up pressing.

I will say that by year's end, his presence will justify the need to upgrade the outfield.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

I finally threw up my hands this spring with Matsuzaka also. I held in there until his first 2 starts but iut's great to see him contribute. It's like magic sometimes. Looks pretty much the same and sometimes they smack him around and the next game he gets a 1 hitter. He is certainly one of the best pitchers in Japanese baseball history. We have to keep trying to remember that! Looking at Rizzo's numbers this year so far. Remember he's still 21 years old and just jumped to AAA level ball. He is on pace to be the best prospect in baseball the way he's going. .452 average. An OBP above .500. The guy is slugging .839 with an OPS of OVER 1.300. 24 RBI in 15 games. 6 HR and 6 doubles: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519203 Good for him but I sure wish we kept him.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Boom, I didn't see the game, but caught  the hi-lights on SporsCenter, it seems like Dice_K has speeded up his step to home. Anyone else notice that?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, if not for CC, the team would have to depend on Cam as an everyday presence. Do you feel comfortable with that?

Yes, very comfortable with Cam and Kalish/DMac/Linares/Reddick/Nava.

Who else is ready?

See above.

Kalish might be lost for the season.

He may not have gotten hurt had he been on th ML team wh Cam.

Crawford hardly looks like a "team need" right now, but that will change. He's showing positive signs recently. The guy was trying to impress, and ended up pressing.

I am not saying this in any knee-jerk reaction to the small sample size start to his season. I was against spending even $14M a year x 5 years for him last winter.

1) We had Ellsbury and Cam returning.
    2) We had some players that did well last year filling in: DMac & Kalish.
    3) One of our biggest weaknesses has been offense against LHPs, Crawford did not address this.
    4) WhileCrawford is a very good defender, I think the alternative was better:
     LF: Ellsbury/Kalish/DMac
     CF: Cameron/Kalish
     RF: Drew/Kalish/Reddick
    5) The cost was way too high and for way too long.

I will say that by year's end, his presence will justify the need to upgrade the outfield.

He certainly should "upgrade" the OF, but in my opinion, not even close to $20M worth.

If our opponents keep throwing lefties at us, we'll be seeing a downgrade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They would take up too many roster spots. That, or you play musical chairs like last year's Pawtucket/Boston transit bus. The offensive production from our outfield last year had to be improved.

Cam's bat looks suspect, even against southpaws.
    Kalish isn't ready. The choice was to risk 2011 on mediocre outfield production or overspend. I don't like the length the CC deal either, but the alternatives were poor.

Sections
Shortcuts