A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Rang, do you work for a living or are you one of the majority wealth redistibution recipients? You are on here all the time, working day and night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Slav, I congratulate your baseball hero, good ole boy Tim Wakefield, as the oldest player in Red Sox history. For years, he wasted two roster spots for he and his personal catcher, now it's down to one. Breaking the age record might be a hint that it's time for old Timmy to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    791 brought this up about Palmero's GG. "Somehow the DH won the Gold Glove Award, despite playing just 28 games at first base." Bill James looked at different ways of measuring defense. All the metrics have flaws, but all 5 said the same thing and in aggregate you can only come to one conclusion. In 2005:                   Everett             Jeter 1.  range     +11               -19                        UZR     +14             -13 2 2.  Dewan +/- system(video):  Everett 66 put outs over Jeter. 3.  Assists relative to expected avg: Jeter 40 less  4.  Total of hits past shortstop position:  Avg. 487,  Everett  425,  Jeter 522. 5. Out of zone plays (fanGraphs):  Jeter 26,  Everett 78   All 5 metrics, no surprise Jeter has very poor range. He cost 72 singles  = 35 runs. " Giving him every possible break on the unknowns, he is still going to emerge as a below average defensive shortstop."   Bill James ss stat of the day, since Aug 12, 2010 HR off LHP: Tulo             11 Bruce           10 Granderson    8 Pujols            8 Lowrie          8

Posted by tom-uk

Amazing how the Yanks won with him in the lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

bump........ Slav, you are dodging, and I can't blame you.....

Gold Gloves prove nothing, except for maybe the voters have about as absurd reasoning skills as you.

Jeter has never been a good fielder... ever.

However, in his prime, he was better than Lowrie is now.

Gold gloves prove more than nothing, which, without a doubt, proves the voters have more than your idiot's level of intelligence.

Coaches and managers vote for gold glove winners. But they couldn't possibly know as much as an old Slav, could they?

Jeter has always been a good fielder. To make the statement that he has never been a good fielder is a reflection of just how out to lunch you are.

Catatonic response is a mental disease, so your well being would require therapy. As a fellow man, I care deeply about your mental health.

What we have is a poster who has made the following claims:

1. Jeter has never been a good fielder

2. Managers and Coaches (who can't vote for their own players) voting for gold glove winners ends with gold glove awards that mean "nothing".

A trophy sits on a green table topped by a golden baseball glove flanked by two golden baseballs.

One of the best SS in MLB history has been lucky with the voting from other managers and coaches for the following years he has won all of these meaningless gold gloves (they mean nothing because Jeter has never, ever been a good defensive SS, according to Slav):

2004 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2005 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2006 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2009 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2010 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)

Total Gold Gloves = 5    For the never, ever a good defensive SS

Only Ozzie Smith, Luis Aparacio, Omar Vizquel & Mark Belanger have been luck and won more gold gloves than Derek Jeter

This means "nothing", and Jeter was still never, ever, ever, ever a good defensive SS, according to Slav;)

One of the signature great defensive plays in the visual media era of MLB history, is this play, by a man who was "never a good defensive SS":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC73LP037o&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC73LP037o&feature=related

Slav, there isn't anything

realistic about this thread of

yours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Great numbers tom, but I think you are making it more complicated than it isIf shortstop A takes away 80 singles a year more than SS B, but SS B gets 80 more singles a year than SS A: I'll call them about even."

I haven't caught up on the full thread yet, but I have to disagree with you Moon.  I haven't really looked at Tom's numbers but he is certainly on the right track here ... it is all about runs, not hits.  A great defensive SS might be saving his team ~40 runs a year over average defense, and I don't think it takes +.120 avg to balance that out offensively.  Just look at the difference SLG can make with the same overall BA.  If our elite defender hits 7HRs and 20 2Bs per year and our avg defender hits 20HRs and 40 2Bs per year, that's going to generate quite a run differential even with the same overall BA/OBP.  That's gotta be at least +20 runs if I am not mistaken ... and I believe it is actually in the mid 20's.

You missed my point. I said if everything else was equal, which means equal HRs and 2Bs, etc... but 1 SS saved 80 singles on D while the other hit 80 more singles on O over the same amount of games and PAs. They would be about even. this was not meant to say Lowrie is not a better choice than Scutaro or Iglesias. It was an abstract scenario meant to show that a great fielding SS can influense a team's success by about 80-120 singles/year...maybe even more..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Slav, this board is waiting for your "splination" of why Jeter has never, ever been a good defensive SS and why a gold glove means "nothing".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, Softy got axed again. He's back under aseballGM.
    Now, I suppose hell never admit to anything he said under BaseballGM.
    I may have to watch the flic Sybil again, as this constant identity change is going beyond my extensive study of human psychology.

To Boom: That was no mistake. Discussions have been closed for most threads from the 3rd page back. It stops the practice of bumping.
    In addition, not only was Softy axed, but Pike's reappearance mocking Jete and Bosox1941 have been banned.

Smiley tried to come back and his post was removed.
    The mods are really on the ball and this board is currently problem-free because of it. Kudos to them!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Implausible deniability.

He changes his ID as soon as his misstatements, lies and bad calls reach the breaking point.

It's just happening sooner and sooner now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He got much help from the mods.
    Now he's playing the name game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tek is hitting!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Absurdity to the extreme...

Softy on his way to school today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxl94l. Show Bosoxl94l's posts

What exactly did GM say that got banned?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Damn that's good. It beats this ole coot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_tC-Bp-Lk4&feature=related

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Look at this: Tito uses Paps in the 8th to face the lefties because Hill/Bard were not available...and he has no faith in OKI in that situation.

Is Tito prejudice too?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aseballGM. Show aseballGM's posts

Gold Gloves prove nothing, except for maybe the voters have about as absurd reasoning skills as you.

Jeter has never been a good fielder... ever.

However, in his prime, he was better than Lowrie is now.

Gold gloves prove more than nothing, which, without a doubt, proves the voters have more than your idiot's level of intelligence.

Coaches and managers vote for gold glove winners. But they couldn't possibly know as much as an old Slav, could they?

Jeter has always been a good fielder. To make the statement that he has never been a good fielder is a reflection of just how out to lunch you are.

Catatonic response is a mental disease, so your well being would require therapy. As a fellow man, I care deeply about your mental health.

What we have is a poster who has made the following claims:

1. Jeter has never been a good fielder

2. Managers and Coaches (who can't vote for their own players) voting for gold glove winners ends with gold glove awards that mean "nothing".

A trophy sits on a green table topped by a golden baseball glove flanked by two golden baseballs.

One of the best SS in MLB history has been lucky with the voting from other managers and coaches for the following years he has won all of these meaningless gold gloves (they mean nothing because Jeter has never, ever been a good defensive SS, according to Slav):

2004 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2005 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2006 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2009 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)
    2010 Gold Glove (votes from coaches and managers from other teams)

Total Gold Gloves = 5    For the never, ever a good defensive SS

Only Ozzie Smith, Luis Aparacio, Omar Vizquel & Mark Belanger have been luck and won more gold gloves than Derek Jeter

This means "nothing", and Jeter was still never, ever, ever, ever a good defensive SS, according to Slav;)

One of the signature great defensive plays in the visual media era of MLB history, is this play, by a man who was "never a good defensive SS":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC73LP037o&feature=related">www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC73LP037o&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC73LP037o&feature=related

Slav, there isn't anything

realistic about this thread of

yours.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Look at this: Tito uses Paps in the 8th to face the lefties because Hill/Bard were not available...and he has no faith in OKI in that situation.

Is Tito prejudice too?

I don't know, Harness, but it's not right to be prejudice against an old fat guy like Wakefield. Why trust Oki for those two innings, game tied? I don't understand it. Timmy is the oldest player in Red Sox history, but why not trust him for more than just a pen mop-up role?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well the Tito bashers won't be happy. Puts Inglesias in to pinch run for Lowrie, Bogar sends him on the double and RS get the walk off. Happy for Crawford too, that ball had to crushed hit into the wind tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would have liked Josh to get the win, he is pitching like a 20 game winner - but two games now he could not get the win.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

There is nothing realistic about "GM's" presence, period.

OLE SOFT-WAKE-LAW 

Ole Soft-Wake-Law
    You are ruining my life!
    Your paunch & UR punch
    have taken my wife!

You're fat and UR bald.
    You're old and UR slow.
    You stare through my mirror:
    Just why I don't know.

You should be demoted,
    yet I get the axe!
    You are to blame
    for all the attacks!

You must move on
    for me to stay young.
    And dupe all the gals
    with my silver-spoon tongue.

You're fat and UR bald.
    You old and UR slow.
    You keep staring through my mirror:
    Just why I don't know.

You must take flight!
    Not out-pitch a CY!
    Ole Soft-Wake-law
    you are ruining my life!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness why don't you give it a rest trying to be cool - you aren't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Harness, your comments on why Oki was trusted for those 2 innings, and not Wakefield? I can't think of a bigger spot for the circle of trust than to just turn the helm over to Wakefield. How long will he be kept out of the bullpen circle of trust?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Burrito, you could take lessons in potty-training.

Crawford hit another double against the wind yesterday.

GM's GM is still out to lunch on OKI.
    The proper move was to use him against the two lefty hitters in the 8th, then Paps for the 9th, but no way Tito trusts him with a 1-0 lead.

Oki was the last remaining body, as Wake started two games over the last 8 days.
    Jenks/Wheeler are nursing life & limb injuries,  Albers/Bard and Hill were unavailable. Oki, the human 3-2 count,  gave up two hits and two walks facing an injury-riddled Twins line-up. Still, I give him credit for gutting it out. He ages me.

Oki belongs in the retirement league. And I'm betting Hill will expedite that decision.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wonder why Tito didn't trust Aceves to finish the 8th?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Oki belongs in the retirement league. And I'm betting Hill will expedite that decision.

Very sad to see the hubris towards our fine Japanese players. Oki's stuff got better, as he pitched into the 2nd inning.

If Oki belongs in the retirement league, Wakefield belongs in the assisted living league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What?

No Tek bashing tonight?

Sections
Shortcuts