A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    Were they "a little puzzled" when he won the 4 other gold gloves? Are 5 gold gloves "more on reputation and PR than actual performance", when coaches and managers from other teams vote on it? You don't digress, you drivel.
    Posted by softlawRS

SoftlawRS,

Are you a Red Sox fan???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Yes, since 1967. I disdain the Yankees, and do not see the need to imitate their payroll methods. That said, I'm not stupid enough to say gold gloves mean "nothing" and Jeter has never, ever been a good defensive SS. And, I disdian Jeter, and cringed at the thought of his last wheelchair contract. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe-1. Show The-Babe-1's posts

Yes, since 1967. I disdain the Yankees, and do not see the need to imitate their payroll methods. That said, I'm not stupid enough to say gold gloves mean "nothing" and Jeter has never, ever been a good defensive SS. And, I disdian Jeter, and cringed at the thought of his last wheelchair contract. 

Posted by softlawRS

Glad to see you dropped the GM charade.

Jeter's contract will hardly be a wheelchair contract for the Yanks. They've had worse contracts. But, then again, you probably have a sister who works in real estate in the area and thus would know better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Glad to see you dropped the GM charade. Jeter's contract will hardly be a wheelchair contract for the Yanks. They've had worse contracts. But, then again, you probably have a sister who works in real estate in the area and thus would know better.
    Posted by The-Babe-1
    That all depends on how one defines a "wheel chair" contract. I grant you that $51M for 3 years plus a 4th year buyout at $3M is not going to wreck the NYY franchise. But the NYY clearly over paid and extended for more years than Jeter was worth. There were a lot of reasons to do that I suppose and they are uniquely equipped to carry the dead weight financially.

Hopefully Jeter's decline isn't more dramatic than what it currently looks like. Because if the NYY felt compelled to sign Derek for $26M - $30M more than his on filed performance warranted because of the "Jeter brand, they would really be between a rock and a hard place ever designating Derek Jeter for assignment meaning they could end up operating with a 24 man roster much like the RS had to last year with Lowell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe-1. Show The-Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : That all depends on how one defines a "wheel chair" contract. I grant you that $51M for 3 years plus a 4th year buyout at $3M is not going to wreck the NYY franchise. But the NYY clearly over paid and extended for more years than Jeter was worth. There were a lot of reasons to do that I suppose and they are uniquely equipped to carry the dead weight financially. Hopefully Jeter's decline isn't more dramatic than what it currently looks like. Because if the NYY felt compelled to sign Derek for $26M - $30M more than his on filed performance warranted because of the "Jeter brand, they would really be between a rock and a hard place ever designating Derek Jeter for assignment meaning they could end up operating with a 24 man roster much like the RS had to last year with Lowell.

Posted by fivekatz

"wheel chair" would imply crippled, no?

That contract will hardly cripple The Empire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Jeter was never a good SS...ever. It means what it says. I respect Jeter as a hitter and a player, and acknowledge that he is a first-ballot HOFer after he retires, but even some fans and writers here in New York were a little puzzled when he won the GG last year. More on reputation and PR than actual performance, IMO. On the other hand, his house in Tampa is very nice and it is about the size of Rhode Island. But i digress....
    Posted by summerof67

yeah, I love 20 mins away from it...It is so big (3 lots) they're calling it "St. Jetersburg"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Moon, I think salty is coming around. Hes had the chance to work with gary tuck and tek for an off season, ST and throughout the year so far. I can see hes more comfortable back there and that has allowed him to relax at the plate and start to make better contact. his throwout rate is at 25% i believe, or right around there. Im hoping he works out. right now i would not make a move with the C position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

southpaw, I agree. He's doing well with the staff, thowing better, and even is hitting more. I am confident our catching combo will improve on offense, but I still think it might be an area to address come July 31st.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hopefully Jeter's decline isn't more dramatic than what it currently looks like.

Hopefully, it is!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

v

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

So harness, do you feel Salty is improvingfasteer than VMart did? I know it's a short sample size and that the whole league is hitting less, but I'm starting to feel encouraged.
    Posted by moonslav59

Our perception was that VMART was improving. But the season-ending numbers said otherwise. CERA-related issues take time to measure. I like UR 60-65 game barometer. The reason is that he has to handle pitchers with varying form.

At the plate, he's heating up and looks more comfortable. Had a nice offensive game today. The guy has hit and will hit again. That's a nice thing to see, but I personally don't value a catcher's offense nearly as much as how he deals with pitchers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's hard to know on this short sample yet, especially with the whole league hitting worse so far, but it is encouraging of late.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Big 4 games coming up with a day off tomorrow.

3-1 would be a nice way to get to .500.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

The day off is even nicer. They need it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

They are putting more emphasis on the head to head series with the Yanks, which is good and about time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope they don't look ahead and blow tonight's game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Is it me or is Crawford a lot more effective hitting the ball to LF. He seems to hit better when he uses the whole field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most hitters are.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I gotta believe Tito isn't feeling too good about his job security right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I gotta believe Tito isn't feeling too good about his job security right now.
    Posted by harness
    Hard to know how he's feeling, but he should be feeling at least a little insecure. Two nights in a row he went too long with starters.  Whatever a manager thinks or feels about his BP -- or about what's coming down the road --  you have to make a change when the need is obvious.  
    Goodness only knows why Tito left Lackey out there late in a game that was still winnable. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A few games ago we were complaining he took starters out too early.

He and the pitchers have not had much success no matter which way he goes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

True.

Sections
Shortcuts