A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Friday the 13th is the day the luck changes,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The frequency the bullpen has been used, Tito HAS TO give them some rest.  A pitcher can't pitch every other day the whole season.

Harness, the answer is NO.  I won't sell you my Seattle/Sox tickets.  The lure of eating at Ruths Chris Steak House is too great...LOL

We'll soon win ten in a row and everything will be forgotten.

It might be a good thing for McDonald, but I think his days on the team are numbered.  Something is cooking in Theo's head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's MAY Amp. The frequency of the pen is not the issue. It's the credibility and lack of consistency of the BP that has Tito in a bind. Jenks and Wheeler were supposed to bolster it. This pen has more depth than last years' - which isn't saying a lot.

Somebody has to step it up, or we are gonna see a meltdown, as the starters will begin to feel it even more. Look at the amount of pitches thrown by Lackey/Lester in two relatively poor outings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

And you expected every member of the bullpen to pitch up to their expected potential?  You just eliminated the human factor.  

If so, you're dreamin', man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't like to dream. Scares the hell out of me.
    But I did expect Wheeler to be better than 11.32 ERA.
    I had hoped Jenks might be better than his 9.35 ERA.
    I didn't think Bard would be 0-3 with hitters hitting .318 - .893 OPS - in high-leverage situations.

Weren't these the guys who were supposed to play key roles in the BP?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness is anti-Beckett, just study his posts. Apparently Tek is Josh's master yoda and without his guidance he is lost.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You are anti-intelligence. Just laugh at UR posts.

Current numbers with entire staff:

With Tek: 2.92 ERA  Team is 9-6 (.600) when he starts.

With Salty: 5.29 ERA Team is 8-14 when he starts.

I'll be waiting for your next brilliant post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And you expected every member of the bullpen to pitch up to their expected potential?  You just eliminated the human factor.  

I'm hoping that this is just all our pen guys (except Paps & Aceves) are going through their rough stretch all at once, and they will all come around soon.

We've used 12 pitchers in the pen and likely wll use a few more. In my opinion, we just need 2-3 of these 12 to come out of their funk and become dependable. I think we have enough guys with good histories to expect it to happen. It might not end up being the popular or higher paid guys that step it up, but Tito is going to have to allow the current best to pitch more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe---1. Show ---The--Babe---1's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    And you expected every member of the bullpen to pitch up to their expected potential?  You just eliminated the human factor.   I'm hoping that this is just all out pen guys (except Paps & Aceves) are going through their rough stretch all at once, and they will all come around soon. We've used 12 pitchers in the pen and likely wll use a few more. In my opinion, we just need 2-3 of these 12 to come out of their funk and become dependable. I think we have enough guys with goodhistories to expect it to happen. It might not end up being the popular or higher paid guys that step it up, but Tito is going to have to allow the current best to pitch more.

Posted by moonslav59

Hey moon, it's been a while since you posted the stats that show why the sawx aren't really as bad as they appear. Can you help the rfn out?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

On discussion boards we sometimes can find ourselves talking about smaller windows of time and the use of the bullpen is no exception.

The RS BP in 3 games in a 7 game stretch has had to go extra innings and one of those affairs was deep into the BP that only DiceK remained and was used as a reliever as well.

And to top that off the BP is sorting itself out with the exception of Papelbon so far this year. And there have been injuries to two guys who coming out of ST were going to the cornerstone guys right behind Bard and Papelbon.

Also while looking ahead may be short sighted, Tito no doubt wants his whole BP fresh for the NY series. My hunch would be in that series if his starter does not have his A game Francona will be quicker to use the hook as the pitch count rises near the 100 pitch level.

But with the exception of when Francona has had a very strong BP (2009) he has been more likely to take his starting pitcher to the point of failure (a late inning jam) than go to the bullpen early (pull the pitcher to start the inning). While there are a couple bright spots right now in the BP (Albers, Papelbon) and signs of light from Okajima and Aceves, Francona is trying to feel his way through what everybody can do what situations put them in the best position to succeed.

Just the same the BP use in the last week is IMO a residue of the marathon game against the Angels and additional extra inning games since. 

A couple of other thoughts, on the subject of pitching John Lackey is officially a disappointment at this point in time and I was glad to see it wasn't just me but even a mature observer of the game like Gammons finds his lack of ownership of bad performance annoying.

And unless Carl Crawford gets more selective at the plate it will be buzzards luck anytime he gets a pitch he can drive. His plate strike zone command is the absolute anti-Drew at this point and so far he doesn't look good enough to pull off a Vladdy act. Not having seen him except against us in prior years I can't comment if the lack of selectivity is new or he just is getting worse results free swinging but he gets into pitchers counts quickly and then expands the zone even further.

4 1/2 games isn't much, if the RS were out 4.5 in the start of August I'd feel they were right in it but losing over half the games you play and the way we lose games makes me wonder if this is a group that is going to string hits and good pitching together in the right bunches often enough to be a championship caliber team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe---1. Show ---The--Babe---1's posts

On discussion boards we sometimes can find ourselves talking about smaller windows of time and the use of the bullpen is no exception. The RS BP in 3 games in a 7 game stretch has had to go extra innings and one of those affairs was deep into the BP that only DiceK remained and was used as a reliever as well. And to top that off the BP is sorting itself out with the exception of Papelbon so far this year. And there have been injuries to two guys who coming out of ST were going to the cornerstone guys right behind Bard and Papelbon. Also while looking ahead may be short sighted, Tito no doubt wants his whole BP fresh for the NY series. My hunch would be in that series if his starter does not have his A game Francona will be quicker to use the hook as the pitch count rises near the 100 pitch level. But with the exception of when Francona has had a very strong BP (2009) he has been more likely to take his starting pitcher to the point of failure (a late inning jam) than go to the bullpen early (pull the pitcher to start the inning). While there are a couple bright spots right now in the BP (Albers, Papelbon) and signs of light from Okajima and Aceves, Francona is trying to feel his way through what everybody can do what situations put them in the best position to succeed. Just the same the BP use in the last week is IMO a residue of the marathon game against the Angels and additional extra inning games since.  A couple of other thoughts, on the subject of pitching John Lackey is officially a disappointment at this point in time and I was glad to see it wasn't just me but even a mature observer of the game like Gammons finds his lack of ownership of bad performance annoying. And unless Carl Crawford gets more selective at the plate it will be buzzards luck anytime he gets a pitch he can drive. His plate strike zone command is the absolute anti-Drew at this point and so far he doesn't look good enough to pull off a Vladdy act. Not having seen him except against us in prior years I can't comment if the lack of selectivity is new or he just is getting worse results free swinging but he gets into pitchers counts quickly and then expands the zone even further. 4 1/2 games isn't much, if the RS were out 4.5 in the start of August I'd feel they were right in it but losing over half the games you play and the way we lose games makes me wonder if this is a group that is going to string hits and good pitching together in the right bunches often enough to be a championship caliber team?

Posted by fivekatz

Last I checked they are 6 back in the loss column.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Maybe it's me but I think we have to look at Lackey's situation more closely. He is throwing it up there at 88 mph and not even hitting his spots. For whatever reason, he seems to me to have lost 3-4 mph in his fastball and with less control than normal he is not even a mlb level starter let alone the guy we paid for. We are probably looking at a very bad situation going forward this year at least with Lackey. If I were managing him I would be looking for him to go on the DL for an extended period.

Another frustration is still Salty to me. He got a 92 mph fastball right down the middle yesterday and didn't even touch it. His swing was a cut designed to generate a HR and he hooked it right through the ball. I really think he would be much better off if he just hit the ball squarely. 

And even with a pitchout he couldn't come close to throwing Davis out although I blame Lackey more for that one. From watching Iglesias holding him on before he took off for 3rd I thought that one was on Lackey more than Iglesias but Tito said otherwise. 

I think they pull the trigger on another catcher soon. And I would definitely be looking to drop Lackey from the rotation. The stuff and location are not there and he's had plenty of starts now to get there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

And Burrito. Harness is a HUGE Beckett fan. You should know that by now as you have seen a lot of his posts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great post katz.

Having a day off before the Yankee series should help our pen be fresh. The Yanks play tonight. I hope they go 17 innings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boom: I don't know if UR aware of this, but Lackey's wife has been battling breast cancer since November. It's tough to pitch under these circumstances. And while his demeanor is always a sticking point, I think he should be allowed some rope here.

BTW: Truth or facts have little bearing on Burrito's posts. But perhaps you can realize what I have to deal with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

And Burrito. Harness is a HUGE Beckett fan. You should know that by now as you have seen a lot of his posts.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Wouldn't that be the point boom?  Why on Earth would harness think I was dead serious?  This is the laughable part, he actually believed I though that.. There is not a single poster on this board who would have read my post and believed it.

Nobody saw my post and believed it - and I bet 90% recognized it as satire or just stupid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

"Harness is anti-Beckett. Just study his posts".

Oh yeah, just a barrel of laughs.
    More along the lines of stupidity.
    The goal posts have now shifted form 'satire' to admitting stupidity.
    Folks here didn't buy into it because they know me.
    And they know you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

This season is getting away...the wild card could well come out of the central and not the east.  Tito's lineup isn't generating enough runs and it well could be his arranging.  The bull pen needs to be stabilized.  Only 3-4 starters can be counted on.  Sox need a catcher that can hit in the major leagues. It's only May, but 1/4 of the season has been a disappointment

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's get "realistic" again and talk Sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What are UR projections for the NY series?
    I think we may see Tito employ a Hill/Bard mix/match to Paps. It may be the key to the series.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Buch/Colon, Beckett/Sabathia, Lester/Garcia...

I'm hoping for at least 2 out of 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I like Buch's progression. He did a nice job keeping the ball down despite the rain delay.  The course the series takes might determine who catches Lester in the finale.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Let's get "realistic" again and talk Sox.
    Posted by moonslav59

Yes I am sorry sir.  I always respected your thread, and I will keep that in mind going forward.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Was that being sarcastic?

Wink

Sections
Shortcuts