A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

5 gold gloves don't mean "nothing".

To keep it real, you must stop making absurd comments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm totally impressed with AGon.  I had read about his power to the opposite field etc., but he really hits them everywhere.  Like predicted, he's definitely going to use the green monster.....and such a beautiful swing.

Ellsbury is doing great, Pedey is doing better, AGon's in another world which means less pressure on Youk, Papi is having a real good early season, Lowrie is still over .300, etc., etc., etc....  Things are starting to gel.

I think the problem with Posada will definitely has a negative effect on the team, especially the veterans.  What NY doesn't need now is for Rivera, who is big buds with Posada, to be psychologically affected.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Is Jorge the Yanks Mikey?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I met a San Diego fan this winter and he said he has never seen a player play as an aggressive first base as Gonzalez - and then he added "you guy's are gonna love him."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Jorge is Jeter's crack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The Sox had a 2 - 10 start, which many playoff teams probably have a stretch like that.

The NYY are 3 - 8 with Lester, Price, and Shields taking the ball against them in the next three.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Wakefield is "Georgie" on steroids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVfLNCW4Fs&feature=related

File:Georgy girl.jpg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I dedicate this number to Tim Wakefield. It's called "The Carnival is Over", from Dead Can Dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNFQ7RJbaQ

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

I dedicate this song to Carl Crawford, John Slackey, Tim Wakefield and those who need skin from the game, compliments of Barry's Great Society, Part II, A Realistic Look at 2012: Part I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTzmF_Gmg8&playnext=1&list=PLA57B81A442627AAF

This great society is a mighty fine thing,
    loafing in the winter, and playing in the spring,
    government checks are gonna start anyday,
    says that fellow down Chicago way;

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Softy: Those music pulls were phenomenal. Especially that 2nd one.
    It's appreciated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jorge will be gone, like Nomar in 2004 and Manny in 2008.  Weird that it's always a Sox-Yankees game.  He'll be replaced at DH by Montero and that will make the Yankees a better team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

13. Starting pitching depth is the Red Sox's one glaring weakness, and Rosenthal says an injury to one of their top five starters would leave the team "seriously unsettled." Rosenthal

14. This seams odd to me.  Aceves, Wake, and Miller are glaringly worse than the Sox competitors 6th and 7th starters?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Today is Josh Beckett's B-Day!  31 years of age!!  Happy B-Day!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Starting pitching depth is the Red Sox's one glaring weakness, and Rosenthal says an injury to one of their top five starters would leave the team "seriously unsettled." Rosenthal

• This seams odd to me.  Aceves, Wake, and Miller are glaringly worse than the Sox competitors 6th and 7th starters?

"glaring weakness" should imply as compared to other teams.

I wonder if he has bothered to look at the rosters of the other 29 teams.

To me, Wake, Aceves, and others are better than half the team's #4 or 5 starters and are probably as good or better than nearly every other team's #6-8 starters. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Starting pitching depth is the Red Sox's one glaring weakness, and Rosenthal says an injury to one of their top five starters would leave the team "seriously unsettled." Rosenthal

It's hard to put much stock in any of Rosenthal's comments after this one! Couldn't  any team be inserted in place of Red Sox and garner a similar opinion?

As the season progresses it actually appears that the Sox may have more depth, if one of the starting 5 succumbs to injury, than most teams out there. One of the 3 named above appear to be quite capable of assuming a short-term starter role and Dubront is still lurking in Triple A if needed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Rosenthal's right. Finding somebody to replicate Lackey's 8 plus ERA and 1.81 WHIP would not be easy. Very unsettling thought...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Jeter 5 gold gloves, HOF SS, voted top defensive AL SS 5 times. Bill James is a fat version of "Rainman". He also said that Hermida was going to have a solid OPS.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

"Gold Gloves are like Supreme Court appointments:  hard to get, but once you get it, it's for life."   and "Some players don't hit enough to win a Gold Glove."

From MLB.com, condemning Gold Glove voting last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101108&content_id=16040094&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

• You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]I dedicate this song to Carl Crawford, John Slackey, Tim Wakefield and those who need skin from the game, compliments of Barry's Great Society, Part II, A Realistic Look at 2012: Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTzmF_Gmg8&playnext=1&list=PLA57B81A442627AAF This great society is a mighty fine thing, loafing in the winter, and playing in the spring, government checks are gonna start anyday, says that fellow down Chicago way;
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

yes,but thank God for our great CF and SSLaughing

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

A rainy day has given me the opportunity to catch up with you all, although much of what I'm reading is just plain painful with all the bickering going on. The team is finally putting it all together and I truly believe that TODAY is the DAY we finally get to .500. It's been a long climb from 2-10. I've been watching all the games but between the high school season and AAU basketball I've had very little time to post. Thanks for the kind words Amp so I'm back and here are a few of my observations...
      While the CERA numbers still favor Tek in a big way, I think Salty is getting better every day. It helps Tek's numbers to be catching the red hot Becket while Salty has to catch the ice cold Lackey, but...  I think Lackey's issues may be as much off the field as on. Clearly he isn't missing any bats, and when he's not throwing balls, his strikes are right down the middle. Not sure what Salty can do about that; Lackey's a veteran and will simply have to either pitch his way out of the funk or take a turn or two off to get his head cleared.
      It may be absurd to pay a number eight hitter >$20mil per year, but until someone else struggles there is no one to bump to make room for Crawford. And he does lengthen the lineup and has delivered two walk-offs from that spot. It ain't broke right now so no sense in fixing it.
      Pedey and Youk are both hitting way below expectations but they both are still getting on base and playing great defense!
      Albers has been a God-send to the otherwise shaky bullpen.
      The Drew/Cameron platoon is providing great right-field play and lately is providing some tough at-bats. In fact, in spite of a very disappointing start, the defense on the whole has been superb this season.
       Softy was correct when he said (when he was hitting over .500) that Lowrie would cool off. He's cooled all the way down to about .330 and is one of the toughest outs in a very deep line-up. His other pet whipping boy, Jacoby, is runner-up to AGon as the team's MVP so far.
       My two cents on the Jeter GG discussion; I have always been a huge Jeter fan. He plays the game the way it's supposed to be played and epitomizes class as far as I'm concerned. But even in his best days he was never more than a very sure-handed, very limited-range shortstop.
       My final thought, for now at least, is what an absolute joy it is to watch our first baseman play the game. Great swing, great glove, great situational hitter. Last night CC struck him out on a high heater his first time up and made him look a little silly. When he tried to sneak another one by him in the 7th it left the park as quickly as any home run I've seen lately. And isn't it great to see him going the other way so beautifully in Fenway and then turning on balls to pull in Yankee Stadium. 
      Now can't we all just get along????

Oh and one more message for the Fox broadcast team. Didn't the Red Sox manhandle the Yankees last night in every phase of the game or was Fox just televising their newest reality TV show entitled "The Posadas"?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Gold Gloves are like Supreme Court appointments:  hard to get, but once you get it, it's for life."   and "Some players don't hit enough to win a Gold Glove."

From MLB.com, condemning Gold Glove voting last year.

Falacious analogy. Gold Gloves are voted on by managers and coaches from other teams. Supreme Court is an appointment from one man, woman or it. Don't try that nonsense again.

5 gold gloves does not mean "nothing".

Rosenthal's right. Finding somebody to replicate Lackey's 8 plus ERA and 1.81 WHIP would not be easy. Very unsettling thought...

katz, your sarcasm is killing me!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Most people wanted Lackey's contract. Very sad.

A rainy day has given me the opportunity to catch up with you all, although much of what I'm reading is just plain painful with all the bickering going on. The team is finally putting it all together and I truly believe that TODAY is the DAY we finally get to .500. It's been a long climb from 2-10. I've been watching all the games but between the high school season and AAU basketball I've had very little time to post. Thanks for the kind words Amp so I'm back and here are a few of my observations...

Welcome back jid.

While the CERA numbers still favor Tek in a big way, I think Salty is getting better every day. It helps Tek's numbers to be catching the red hot Becket while Salty has to catch the ice cold Lackey, but...  I think Lackey's issues may be as much off the field as on. Clearly he isn't missing any bats, and when he's not throwing balls, his strikes are right down the middle. Not sure what Salty can do about that; Lackey's a veteran and will simply have to either pitch his way out of the funk or take a turn or two off to get his head cleared.

The way CERA works, or should be used, it doesn't matter who catches who. The only comaprisons that should be used are with pitchers that both salty and VTek have caught enough innings to be significant.

You wont see harness or I distort the numbers or move the goalposts to make a point. It's not our style.

It may be absurd to pay a number eight hitter >$20mil per year, but until someone else struggles there is no one to bump to make room for Crawford. And he does lengthen the lineup and has delivered two walk-offs from that spot. It ain't broke right now so no sense in fixing it.

Well, Pedey is coming close to that point.

Pedey and Youk are both hitting way below expectations but they both are still getting on base and playing great defense!
      Albers has been a God-send to the otherwise shaky bullpen.

Yes, and it shows why it is a good strategy to have 10-12 pitchers to choose from to fill the last 3-4 slots on a staff.

The Drew/Cameron platoon is providing great right-field play and lately is providing some tough at-bats. In fact, in spite of a very disappointing start, the defense on the whole has been superb this season.

Cam has looked great in RF.

Softy was correct when he said (when he was hitting over .500) that Lowrie would cool off. He's cooled all the way down to about .330 and is one of the toughest outs in a very deep line-up. His other pet whipping boy, Jacoby, is runner-up to AGon as the team's MVP so far.

softy who?

My two cents on the Jeter GG discussion; I have always been a huge Jeter fan. He plays the game the way it's supposed to be played and epitomizes class as far as I'm concerned. But even in his best days he was never more than a very sure-handed, very limited-range shortstop.

Jeter has been a great offensive SS and a top class act. He makes the plays hit at him, but for a SS, range is critical and a big part of who deserves to be called the best. It surprises me that the some people who
    criticize Jed's SS game for being sure-handed but very limited in range, are now praising Jeter's similar defensive game. I'm not saying Jed is as good as Jeter on defense. His sample size is too small, but the numbers show they both lack in range ability.
       My final thought, for now at least, is what an absolute joy it is to watch our first baseman play the game. Great swing, great glove, great situational hitter. Last night CC struck him out on a high heater his first time up and made him look a little silly. When he tried to sneak another one by him in the 7th it left the park as quickly as any home run I've seen lately. And isn't it great to see him going the other way so beautifully in Fenway and then turning on balls to pull in Yankee Stadium. 

I hate paying big for a position that is loaded with talent in this league, but this guy is and will be worth every penny. Now, if Crawford could just earn half his pay, we might win this thing.

Now can't we all just get along????

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."

The late, great Gerry Rafferty of Steeler's Wheel!

• Sections
    Shortcuts