A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Harness, you just made a strong argument I hadn't heard yet.  We do play 81 games in other venues, and I can absolutely see he would be a bigger plus for us there.  I still think we need to figure out where to hit him, and maybe 9th is his place as Moon has suggested to get those two burners back to back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Harness, I hope you're right--that they're visionaries.  As a fan, I want for him to be a huge success.  It's tough for many players to make it here, big stage, lots of pressure and expectations.  I'm not a GM so I don't know how to look at this but I just don't see it yet.  Maybe he'll just slowly acclimate himself and Tito et al will figure out what to do with him.  To me it's pretty disturbing they don't even know where to bat him.  Does that  suggest he's been on the radar for years?  Not disputing your thought, just if so, why don't they seem to know what to do with him now
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]
    Crawford is not learning by example from Gonzalez and Ortiz. They take the outside pitch the other way. He puts a big swing on it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just watched the RS win the rubber game.  Wake pitched great, much like a (3) hitter he threw here in Oakland about three years ago.  I think pitching regularly he can pitch like this; what a great commodity to have in your pen for situations like this.  You've been saying this for two years Moon--falling on deaf ears for one of our "former" posters. 

The thing is, you don't need to be a physical specimen to be a great knuckleball pitcher. Age is not a big factor with knuckleballers, but some knuckleheads are so stuck in paradigms they can't think outside the box. There is no reason to think an overweight guy who pitches a 65-75 MPH knuckleball very well from ages 40-42, suddenly can't do it at 44, because of his age.

Next, I was quite impressed with Salty.  He seemed to catch a great game, dealing with three different pitchers and styles.  Only let one ball by from Wake that I saw, and hit a homer.  He looks more confident.  I think this is going in the right direction.  My one complaint is he doesn't seem to open the glove completely when setting his target, it seems only part open, offering a smaller target.  What do I know.  I was a catcher through high school, but I'd still like to see that glove open up. 

I saw some good work with Bard and paps tonight too. I really think he is coming around. Confidence from hitting batter may help while catching as well.

Lowrie looks good to me too, confident and professional.  

He got rooked out of the game winner 2 nights ago  by poor baserunning and hit a deep drive tonight for a big RBI.

A-Gon, what a hitter. 

Everything we hoped he'd be.

Youk, what a gutsy scrapper.  Loved that at-bat against Wood, and did he ever tag that triple.  

I never doubted Youk.

I hope the momentum and confidence from this series continues, not sure the Cubbies are a top adversary at this point but probably a good team to find and refine your groove. 

Time to bring the Indians down to earth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I never liked Downs at the Fens. It's not conducive to his pitching style. More often than not, it's a graveyard for lefties like him. And three years at 5 mil a year is pretty steep given his age.

Age is also a factor with Hernandez/Berkman.

They are 1 year deals.

The former hasn't caught over 100 games since 2008. And he hits better in the weaker N.L.

He'd help though.

The latter isn't one I'd like to see patrolling LF on the road.

He's playing RF in the NL now. I think LF in the AL would be fine.

14/13 mil for Crain/Guerrier is too much. They may not transition well to tougher competition.

Yes, but my point is, I'd rather overpay 3-4 players slightly for much shorter termsthan put all the eggs in one basket.

On the thought process that made Boston sign CC at 140 mil: They've been waiting for this guy to hit FA for years. Nothing this last winter played into or deterred them from inking a player who's been on their radar for so many years.

They are using a more complete scale. Are they visionaries? Well, you know how Theo feels about long-term commitments like these. Time will tell it.

I know CC brings more to the table than a .775 to .850 OPS. When he starts getting on base more, we will see it in action.

I think a good throw would have got an assist tonight for CC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crawford is not learning by example from Gonzalez and Ortiz. They take the outside pitch the other way. He puts a big swing on it.

I agree. Maybe it will rub off soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I totally agree that a LFers defensive attributes should not be limited to small dimensions of Fenway's LF because half our games are on the road. OTOH when a players swing does not suit the RF dimensions that is a problem because half our games are at Fenway Park.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think there is little doubt that Harness is right about Theo wanting to win games away from home also. Crawford should be a great fit in Yankee stadium for example. I think we should still optimize the team for home though.

NWIH we should hit Crawfrod and Ellsbury 9 and 1 or 8 and 9 etc. When Crawford comes around he will not be our # 9  hitter. It's like we paid $142 mil for a number 9 hitter. Yeah right! Cool

Adrian continues to show his hitting skill. It may well be that he is a high average hitter going forward. A lot of other players have come to Fenway and seen their numbers go up. Maybe Adrian is in that mold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, when he plays at home (81 games), his fielding "strength" (if we can call it that) is neutralized to a large extent.

When he plays at home (81 games), his swing and spray cahrts are neautralized by the park dimensions.

When we play on the road and face a LHP (maybe 30 games), his bat is neutralized by is inability to hit lefties above a .700 OPS.

That leaves only about 50 games  a year for him to "earn" his $142M.

Whenever he faces a lefty home or away (maybe 60 gmes this year), his speed is neutraized on the basepaths, because he can't get on base.
    vs RHPs: 55 SBs/8 CS per 162 games
    vs LHPs: 13 SBs/6 CS per 162 games

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Adrian continues to show his hitting skill. It may well be that he is a high average hitter going forward. A lot of other players have come to Fenway and seen their numbers go up. Maybe Adrian is in that mold.

The big RF might take some HRs away from lefties, but it adds singles due to the tremendous amount of turf the RF'er has to cover. AGon's ability to go to LF keeps teams from shifting on him, which leaves huge landing spots fo singles. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hitters learn - sooner or later - how to use the monstah to their advantage.
    I doubt CC will be an exception.

Moon, anytime all the eggs are put in one baskett, it's a risky premise. But the team spent a lot more than 20 mil for this year's edition.

Again: Any analogy depends on UR frame of reference.
    You can compare mediocre/decent players for a short term bridge, but never really know how'll they'll cut it playing in this division...in this city.

Or you can compare his skill-set to that of Manny's; never knowing how a juiceless Manny would perform. He was one-dimensional.

You could compare CC to Drew minus the 6 mil. Drew is now compromised by the expanded S.Z. Drew has definite attributes, but not game-changing speed.

The dynamics of this team are changing. CC can't be credibly viewed threw an old microscope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CC does improve this team. I have never meant to imply otherwise.

I just like alternative choices and looking to the extended future better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Crit: My statement about the team eyeing CC for years stems from a piece I read in both the Globe and the Herald around the time of his signing. They've wanted this guy for over 6 years. They admitted it, more than once. They were eyeing his FA eligibility even back then. Whether or not they will be proven visionaries remains to be seen.

It's possible we might see Jake shift back to LF and CC to CF over time. It depends on how Ells grows as an outfielder. LF at Fenway is not a good place for CC.

Moon: Figure how many times CC will get on base beyond the hit/walk.
    Figure the errors, the many fielder's choices.  Isn't that really a part of OBP?
    This guy can reach on a would-be double-play by most hitters, steal 2nd. Steal3rd, and score the game winner on a mediocre flyball/ground out.

It may not be pretty on the stat sheet, but it will be on the diamond.
    The hope is, his athletisicm will extend his producivity throughout his contract...or most of it. I can't look 7 years ahead.
    Hell, I didn't think I'd be around this long myself!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Crawford is lucky that the Red Sox are hot right now.  The three walkoffs were nice, but his contributions have been minimal outside of them. 

I still say he turns this thing around.  It will end up being a down year for him even if he gets hot, but I can't see this going on for the entire season.

It's a nice sign to know that this team is scoring runs with very very slow starts out of Crawford and Pedroia.  If only they can join in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

My statement about the team eyeing CC for years stems from a piece I read in both the Globe and the Herald around the time of his signing.

What you read was a management press release designed to rebut the critics that this was a shoot from the hip superstar priced contract blunder. It was also reported that "speed ages slower than power", which is meaningless rhetoric to try and defend the 7 year length into the mid 30's.

The Boston press "corpse" is about as pitiful as it gets. They are access drones and promotional advertsing selling "Lackeys".

But let's assume this was this masterful years of study decision to lay in the weeds and then trump the Angels with a massive premium. It will still be a huge bust because that kind of contract in relation to peers has value only when it invovles a true superstar. Crawford never has been and never will be a MLB superstar.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon: Figure how many times CC will get on base beyond the hit/walk.
    Figure the errors, the many fielder's choices.  Isn't that really a part of OBP?
    This guy can reach on a would-be double-play by most hitters, steal 2nd. Steal3rd, and score the game winner on a mediocre flyball/ground out.

It may not be pretty on the stat sheet, but it will be on the diamond.
    The hope is, his athletisicm will extend his producivity throughout his contract...or most of it. I can't look 7 years ahead.
    Hell, I didn't think I'd be around this long myself!

Then subtract the times he is erased by  FCafter getting on base. It's still a plus, but maybe not as much as you envision.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Boston press "corpse" is about as pitiful as it gets. They are access drones and promotional advertsing selling "Lackeys".

Funny, how when they agree with the clown, he acts like they are meaningful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a nice sign to know that this team is scoring runs with very very slow starts out of Crawford and Pedroia.  If only they can join in.

True, but I  think it is normal to have 2-3 players underexpectations at any given time.

By the time CC and Pedey turn it around, chances are there will be 2-3 guys that are doing well now, will go into a funk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]It's a nice sign to know that this team is scoring runs with very very slow starts out of Crawford and Pedroia.  If only they can join in. True, but I  think it is normal to have 2-3 players underexpectations at any given time. By the time CC and Pedey turn it around, chances are there will be 2-3 guys that are doing well now, will go into a funk.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the outright injuries, which is why, thank goodness, they play 162 games so that these things can even out...

Last year the injuries were one thing and over-performing on the part of some players was quite another.  A roller coaster. 

Things are on a differently trajectory this year, at least it seems that way to me. 

After a slow start, it looks like the someone has hit the acclerator. That someone would be A-Gon, IMO.  Entirely possible that he could slump in the near future, but he looks to be enjoying some of this American Leage pitching. Crawford has two walk-off hits. Papi is creaming the ball early.  Youk is starting to come around.

As a famous Massachusetts resident once said, "A rising tide lifts all boats."  The underachievers are carried along.

Once again, I recant everything bad that I ever said about Dave Magadan.

May I use some of the recanted phrases on Curt Young, or is it too early?

Tongue out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, I loved hearing you talk about Maine.  I feel that way every year and can't wait to get back for the summer.  I have sort of guessed that your land is is in the Belgrade Lakes area?  Do you have family members living there?  If no one is there, I would very much like to go there tenting, fishing a couple days this summer.  Please let me know what you think, and I won't mind if it's a no.  I just think it would be fun to see your piece of Maine.

Back to RS.  I see your frustration with CC in 9th for that amount of money.  But the way he's hitting at present, I don't think he's earned his way very far up the batting order.  His evolution as a RS player is going to be interesting to watch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boom, I loved hearing you talk about Maine.  I feel that way every year and can't wait to get back for the summer.  I have sort of guessed that your land is is in the Belgrade Lakes area?  Do you have family members living there?  If no one is there, I would very much like to go there tenting, fishing a couple days this summer.  Please let me know what you think, and I won't mind if it's a no.  I just think it would be fun to see your piece of Maine. Back to RS.  I see your frustration with CC in 9th for that amount of money.  But the way he's hitting at present, I don't think he's earned his way very far up the batting order.  His evolution as a RS player is going to be interesting to watch.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Heh Crit! 

We've got it rented out for a year right now but maybe in the future. I would love to meet up with you, Moon and others someday. Maybe have a cookout, a sail mini vacation and catch a game on TV or something like that. Maybe a little fishing. Moon's place would be nice also. If we do move to Maine I would love to link up with more of you. 

Our place is pretty unique. We've thought of making it a summer camp as it is so large. It needs a boat dock though to be complete. When we bought the place it had one but we weren't there for the closing and the guy conveniently removed it. We've learned never to buy a house without doing the walk through! We'd convert 2 of the buildings to apartments but rent goes for like $00 / month in Maine. Everyone has money losing rental properties up there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

A couple of comments on some of the posts I've read catching up with you all...
     Salty is improving daily and I really am starting to like what I see and find myself really pulling for him now more than any other player, obviously that kindred catcher thing. As for his 'moving" target, with no one on base he sets an early and firm target, but with runners on he stays near the middle of the zone until the last few seconds. He is also flapping the glove to confuse the hitter trying to make him think we're coming inside when we're going away and vice versa. It's a very old catcher trick and I like to see a younger catcher using it.
     Crawford's walk-off the other night was to left center and he did go off the monster as well the other day. I seem to recall he hit that wall with some consistency while playing here for Tampa. I think he's way too talented to keep playing this poorly and I also think he's trying to do too much. As the wins start to pile up for the team, and more of the other bats come around, there will be less pressure on him and I think he'll have a great second half. As for his spot in the order, the three spot was his at the start because Tito never got a full spring training from AGon and probably wanted to wait and see how he responded to his surgery. I guess that doctor gets an A+!
     Aceves and Wake looked great against NL teams; hope they can be close to that effective for the next few starts.
      Pedroia's average may not be anywhere near what we would like to see, nor anywhere near where it will end up, but he puts together some of the toughest at bats that pay dividends throughout the batting order regardless of the outcome of his own at bat. Love that guy!
      As fans and observers we all get frustrated when a reliever is pitching fine and is removed simply because it's another guys slot or turn. But these guys are creatures of habit and all want to know ahead of time when they're likely to get the ball. Tito actually does a great job of lining this up, although sometimes the results don't measure up to the plan and preparation.
      Maybe somewhat lost in the roller coaster start has been the almost automatic and consistent production from the number five hitter who so many wanted banished last year, great to see!
      Now let's bring those injuns down to earth!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

CC hasn't done much other than those three great hits.  But I'm hoping he is watching and talking to Gonzalez, who is a masterful hitter, especially going to LF.  CC should probably change his stance, but what are the odds on that? 

Sporadically good pitching and pretty consistent hitting (3d best in the AL) have kept the Sox going for almost a month now.  Ironically, putting Matsuzaka and Lackey on the DL just might have helped--just like doing the same thing to Jenks and Wheeler also helped. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

This post has been here since vj day can you s--- can it.

stevebosox04

semper fi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not to be Debbie Downer but I don't read much in terms of hitting to all fields from CC's left center walk off. If the infield and OF aren't pulled in it is a routine play for CF and doesn't demonstrate an ability to hit to the gap with good results.

As for his stance it is unlikely he will change it mid season but he is way too open and it ensures he will not be handle the inside of the plate against LH and will be challenged to square up the outside corner.  That's a lot of the plate to be vulnerable in.

But I can see why nobody has ever tried to tweak it before he was successful enough to satisfy his employer and to earn a very big contract this off season. But look at what closing his stance has done for Curtis Granderson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Crit. ...

It was nice seeing the Seadogs game.

I'm going to see 3 games in Pittburgh, thn 2 in Philly and will be Maine from July 2nd to August 2nd.

Maybe we can see a game.