A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

I think it will help Buch and Beckett to not be matched up with the opponent's #1 or #2 starters for the first few times around.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Tito won't go lefty-lefty with the table-setters - against a tough lefty pitcher. Pedey is a good #2 hitter. But hitting Crawford 3rd against lefties with whom he has real issues with is asinine.
    Posted by harness
    Well, I'm hoping we see Ells and Crawford 1 & 2 against some righties, because I think that would maximize Crawford's skill set a lot more than batting him 3rd all year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Today was not the Ecstasy of Gold. It was "the Bad and the Ugly", with the Good Rangers being quicker and playing with more passion and energy. So ends Game #1 of 162.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Did anyone see how well Lester threw his changeup?  I ask because I don't think he has one.  Or, if he does, he doesn't use it much.  When the other team throws 7 righties at you, I think you need a good changeup, even if you are reputedly the greatest lefty in the game or whatever. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Max, see RANGERS KNEW WHAT PITCH WAS COMING thread (my last post).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Crawford was like 2 for 12 against that guy lifetime yesterday. It was not an ideal situation at all. I have no problem with sliding him down in the lineup against such left handers, or even not playing him at all sometimes against such match ups, but Tito probably would never change the lineup anyway with such a small sample size.

What we saw from Ellsbury, Agon...etc is extremely encouraging though. We are almost definitely going to hit well this year IMO. And score a bunch of runs. There are even a lot of subtle intangibles which indicate a lot of boost from this lineup. The types of boosts not seen from conventional analysis, as in how often guys like Crawford and Ellsbury are able to score from 1st on those high wall balls from Gonzalez and Ortiz. What appear to be minute details to us might make a difference of 2 - 3 more runs from the lineup simulations with speed like this in the lineup.

Lineups are by far related to hitting, getting on base etc...but base running is a factor and we have tremendous base running potential on this team, which can be improved even more if we add Kalish at some point in Drew's slot.

By September, we might find that Kalish is slotted for Drew and Iglesias is slotted for Scutaro if both continue their development on schedule. It could make a significant difference during the playoffs. Also, the potential availability of Linares as another RH bat. If he tears up AAA ball we could have a nice situation on our hands going into next year, with a sellers market for OF talent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm not. The O's are gonna shock you this year, Moon . Tonight they beat Price in Tampa .  Not an easy task. Wieters hit 8th. That's an imposing line-up. TB is going to shock you, not me. What's ur take on the RedSox season opener? Bad line-up, but I hate making judgements over one game.
    Posted by moonslav59

I see Tampa at 81-86 wins. No more.

Saw an interesting take in the Globe. Paraphrasing, If he works out, Salty will either be great value, or he'll derail the season.

That about says it all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Do you guys think it helps or hurts beckett's confidence by chickening out and having him skip texas? I mean, yes, he hasn't fared well against texas, but the way it's lined up now he will start the Sunday night game against the Yanks and they have absolutely crushed him the past few years.
    Posted by Babeinsawxland

If you look at the way that the pitching rotation lines up to begin the season it makes sense to have Beckett inserted right where he is. Hopefully he can build on his last pitching performance before taking on the Yankees. The three pitchers slated ahead of him in the rotation deserve to be there, at least right now. An argument can be made for swapping Beckett/Lackey but I believe that Lackey has been more consistent thus far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Well, I'm hoping we see Ells and Crawford 1 & 2 against some righties, because I think that would maximize Crawford's skill set a lot more than batting him 3rd all year.
    Posted by carnie

I agree with you carnie..Ells then CC against righties, But maybe put CC 5th against LHP and put Gonzo either 3rd or 4th. Im sure Tito will figure things out. All in all it was good to see Papi hit one out against Oliver(LHP). Gonzo and Ells having solid games against some tough LHP in CJ Wilson, Rhodes and Oliver. Did bard hit 96 once yesterday? Anyway, on to game 2..have fun this weekend Moon!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im going with 99-63

this team is too stacked but i fear the phils rotation...a world series for the ages in 2011

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm going to both games this weekend.

Yessssss!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Another interesting thread. Posters are interesting and polite.
    Posted by Natick-Ned

You found it Ned. The best thread on this site.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babeinsawxland. Show Babeinsawxland's posts

I think it will help Buch and Beckett to not be matched up with the opponent's #1 or #2 starters for the first few times around.

Posted by moonslav59

So you think beckett will eventually be moved up to the #1 or 2 spot?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Crawford was like 2 for 12 against that guy lifetime yesterday. It was not an ideal situation at all. I have no problem with sliding him down in the lineup against such left handers, or even not playing him at all sometimes against such match ups, but Tito probably would never change the lineup anyway with such a small sample size.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Did you see the other Sox numbers against Wilson going into the game though?  They were pretty much all terrible.  The guy has owned us.  Crawford did have a homer and 4 RBI in his 12 AB's so that actually projected to monster numbers (LOL).

All that said he certainly looked helpless against Wilson last night.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The Saberguy was a MIT professor if I remember correctly but I really don't see the Rays getting to 100 wins this year. I would think that is a typo but it goes to show just how important the pitching staff consistency is in generating wins. If our pitching is not as expected we could easily be in 3rd place again. 

Moon, 2 games this weekend in slugfest Rangers stadium? Have some cold ones for us and the wife drives home!

I've been looking at a couple of things recently. One is that Adrian is just a professional hitter period. I love his stroke. When Lowell and Beltre came on board both saw their averages climb dramatically. Is Adrian a .320 hitter? I think maybe. He's never been a big average guy but I think that could change. He has a flawless stroke and great situational awareness.

Also have looked into the minors situation some. Bogaerts is the Lowell starting SS. Some of you guys might want to check him out someday. He may be something special. Also, the Pawtucket OF is outstanding. Kalish, Linares, Reddick and Nava. Not to mention their pen.

Ranaudo is going to Greenville. That would seem a little surprising but maybe they want to take some pressure off.

On the other hand, Coyle is jumping from HS directly to Greenville. Everything we've heard so far about Coyle has been outstanding.

Here is a recent Workman workout. Who knows, maybe his stuff will play at the mlb level someday:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

For example, the entire MLB has caught up with Wakefield.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Good One Babe, Chicken. Ha-Ha
    Posted by BambinoBabe

If you have any respect for the game of baseball then please don't hijack this thread. There are plenty of other threads to go play silly games.

Thanx

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babeinsawxland. Show Babeinsawxland's posts

Do you guys think it helps or hurts beckett's confidence by chickening out and having him skip texas?

I mean, yes, he hasn't fared well against texas, but the way it's lined up now he will start the Sunday night game against the Yanks and they have absolutely crushed him the past few years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Posted by moonslav59

I am less concerned about Buch than Beckett. Beckett needs to get "mentally" back on his game and facing the #4 starters for the first few go-rounds may be just the answer. On the other hand, Buch strikes me as being a fearless competitor that welcomes any challenge presented.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I look forward to reading all that you guys have to say!

Interesting that Iglesias is starting the season at AAA.  It looks like Lowrie, if not traded next year...if not sooner, is destined to be a super sub with the Sox. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : I understand what you are saying pb, but from what I read they didn't do it because they thought the other 3 deserved to be there. Their excuse was that they didn't want him pitching against tx, which puzzled me because the Yankees own him.
    Posted by Babeinsawxland

Whatever the reason, Beckett, in my opinion, is nothing more than a #4 starter until he proves otherwise and his performance against the Yankees will go a long way in how I personally view his value and whether he should be considered a back or front of the rotation starter.

If he can't get up for the big games then he is what he is, an overpayed back of the rotation starter. Hopefully for Red Sox fans he gets off to a great start.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

A homer that ties the score in late innings is not "non-clutch". Wakefield was "non-clutch". That's about the ugliest looking thing I've seen since Fielder, Sr. fell down walking to first.
    Posted by BaseballGM

Thanks. I needed that.

Moon
    , you shoulda stayed with the other thread longer. It's length served as a better deterrent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I saw some saberguy had the Sox one game up on TB at season's end.
    Posted by moonslav59

Saberguy: Sounds like a sequel to some "B" movie.
    BTW: Manny made the final out tonight. Smile

Carnie: Crawford will hit 3rd vs. righties.
    The problem is vs. lefties.
    CC didn't just put up an 0-4. It was a pathetic  0-4.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

OK, here's my question. Why hit Crawford 3rd rather than 2nd? Crawford is a burner, and if you have him and Ells on base with Pedey up, that seems like it would be a pitcher's worst nightmare. Pedey can handle the bat and he has 20 - 25 HR pop. That's my 2 cents on the lineup. I'll reserve comment on Linares for now.
    Posted by carnie

Tito won't go lefty-lefty with the table-setters - against a tough lefty pitcher.
    Pedey is a good #2 hitter. But hitting Crawford 3rd against lefties with whom he has real issues with is asinine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Another interesting thread. Posters are interesting and polite.
    Posted by Natick-Ned

Welcome aboard. You are visiting this forum's premium thread. It will run all season. No where will you find a more informative, honest thread overall.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babeinsawxland. Show Babeinsawxland's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : If you look at the way that the pitching rotation lines up to begin the season it makes sense to have Beckett inserted right where he is. Hopefully he can build on his last pitching performance before taking on the Yankees. The three pitchers slated ahead of him in the rotation deserve to be there, at least right now. An argument can be made for swapping Beckett/Lackey but I believe that Lackey has been more consistent thus far.

Posted by playball01

I understand what you are saying pb, but from what I read they didn't do it because they thought the other 3 deserved to be there. Their excuse was that they didn't want him pitching against tx, which puzzled me because the Yankees own him.

Sections
Shortcuts