A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]I think it will help Buch and Beckett to not be matched up with the opponent's #1 or #2 starters for the first few times around.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I am less concerned about Buch than Beckett. Beckett needs to get "mentally" back on his game and facing the #4 starters for the first few go-rounds may be just the answer. On the other hand, Buch strikes me as being a fearless competitor that welcomes any challenge presented.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Amp, it was big when they chose to go the AAA route with Iglesias. There was some alleged discussion that they wanted to keep him and Linares together as we are told there is some mutual respect there, and that maybe they could support each other. Pawtucket has Kalish, Reddick, Linares and Nava in the OF. As predicted, Bubba Bell was traded for cash considerations. They were not going to carry all those OF without some place to play them. Pawtucket has a heck of a team on paper. 

They also released Baker and several others. Amp, I love your wife's smile. You have a great marriage there and we are all sure you deserve it as well!

1st game is probably tomorrow right! GO SOX!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Did anyone see how well Lester threw his changeup?  I ask because I don't think he has one.  Or, if he does, he doesn't use it much.  When the other team throws 7 righties at you, I think you need a good changeup, even if you are reputedly the greatest lefty in the game or whatever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Birds beat the Rays tonight, 4-1.
    89 more wins or a 2nd place finish and my greatest baseball projection will materialize. 

Watch out for da birdies!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They not have mirrors in your neck of the woods?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He should have played today vs the lefty, but I am not going to use one game samples sizes to try and prove anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

More days in last!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sorry hrness, I'm glad the Birds won. It puts us a game closer to TB, the more feared opp.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's almost as it ur refereeing a heavyweight fight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Another interesting thread. Posters are interesting and polite.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Have a great time, Moon.
    I hope Tek catches at least one of them. 
    BTW: How'd ya like Papi's non-clutch dinger tonight? Surprised 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : I understand what you are saying pb, but from what I read they didn't do it because they thought the other 3 deserved to be there. Their excuse was that they didn't want him pitching against tx, which puzzled me because the Yankees own him.
    Posted by Babeinsawxland[/QUOTE]

Whatever the reason, Beckett, in my opinion, is nothing more than a #4 starter until he proves otherwise and his performance against the Yankees will go a long way in how I personally view his value and whether he should be considered a back or front of the rotation starter.

If he can't get up for the big games then he is what he is, an overpayed back of the rotation starter. Hopefully for Red Sox fans he gets off to a great start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]A homer that ties the score in late innings is not "non-clutch". Wakefield was "non-clutch". That's about the ugliest looking thing I've seen since Fielder, Sr. fell down walking to first.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I needed that.

Moon
    , you shoulda stayed with the other thread longer. It's length served as a better deterrent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

A homer that ties the score in late innings is not "non-clutch". Wakefield was "non-clutch". That's about the ugliest looking thing I've seen since Fielder, Sr. fell down walking to first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

People talk about our "far away" prospects, but I think we have several players ready to step up right now and help, if neede.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, what does one say at this time of year.  It's just sticking a toe in the pool--too early to get too excited.  Haven't followed these two games that closely, but what do we have to be encouraged about: A-Gon, Ellsbury, Big Papi, the new relievers (for the most part)...I think we need to go through the pitching rotation two or three times before we get out a syringe.  These guys just built themselves up to five innings and need some time to get a groove.  How's that Moon?  Like my new patience?  Probably looking for a silver lining in that cloud, but maybe it's good to be down in Texas where it's hot as opposed to Cleveland, Toronto, Boston, etc. where someone might be straining a muscle, etc..  Honestly, it might not be so bad to get kicked around a couple of games right at the offset to bring guys together, get focused, realize they aren't going to talk their way to the playoffs, face some adversity, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I saw some saberguy had the Sox one game up on TB at season's end.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Saberguy: Sounds like a sequel to some "B" movie.
    BTW: Manny made the final out tonight. Smile

Carnie: Crawford will hit 3rd vs. righties.
    The problem is vs. lefties.
    CC didn't just put up an 0-4. It was a pathetic  0-4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ya gotta check out this Coyle kid. Drop everything and watch! We look to have a real winner here. Let the comparisons to Pedroia  begin!

Who knows how this works out but this kid just came out of XST and went directly to Greenville out of HS.  And word is he can hit also:

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not much to argue about.  I think Theo got the right guys in the offseason and, barring another rash of injuries, believe this is one terrific lineup.  Not just 9 good hitters with very possibly "no holes," but some pretty decent backups in Tek, Mac, Lowrie, and Cameron.   Plus some speed on the basepaths--a big shortfall last year.

Pitching is another matter, but that's OK.  Lester and Buchholz should be fine, and the other three, who were anything but fine in 2010, looked pretty decent in ST.  Pap looks awful, but Theo still has Bard and Jenks to back him up or fill in.    If the pitching is good, 100 wins should be easy.

Even the fielding looks pretty good.  Youk is probably no more than average at 3B, but the outfield is above average, as are 1B and 2B--and Scutaro is adequate at SS.  Opposing teams will continue to steal bases off Saltalamacchia or Tek, but Crawford is now playing for us--kind of a twofer. 

I think almost any lineup will work, and today's lineup shows this year Francona will be less reluctant to platoon than in prior years. 

Plus, of course, the right manager helps. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]OK, here's my question. Why hit Crawford 3rd rather than 2nd? Crawford is a burner, and if you have him and Ells on base with Pedey up, that seems like it would be a pitcher's worst nightmare. Pedey can handle the bat and he has 20 - 25 HR pop. That's my 2 cents on the lineup. I'll reserve comment on Linares for now.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Tito won't go lefty-lefty with the table-setters - against a tough lefty pitcher.
    Pedey is a good #2 hitter. But hitting Crawford 3rd against lefties with whom he has real issues with is asinine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Yes, Beckett is a coward who wasn't "a fearless competitor" when he beat the Yankees in the WS. There are countless MLB P'ers who are skeert of any challenges presented.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Another interesting thread. Posters are interesting and polite.
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard. You are visiting this forum's premium thread. It will run all season. No where will you find a more informative, honest thread overall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I saw some saberguy had the Sox one game up on TB at season's end.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

When any team faces the same pitcher over and over again they generally catch up with him, for example the Yanks and Pedro. It's a reason to always come up with young pitching and also move pitchers around some also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks boom. I will have a blast win or lose. I don't really drink much anymore. I'll be driving.

Well, I'm off to Dallas.

I'm expecting the signing AGon announcementy any day now...
    ...and softy saying he "called it".