A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Of course, I would have donated a couple of my fingers to medical research if they had won these two games...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

The season is finally here. The long winter is over and the roster and rotation is set for now. No major surprises this spring. Let's keep this thread troll free, softy free, and abusrd free. Use the game threads to discuss play by play action, and let's make this a thread about season issues, theory, philosophy, and direction.

Softy has pledged to stay away, so that alone makes this a much less hostile place for rational debate and ideas. 

I'm sure a few topics will come up again:
           1) Line-up debates
           2) 5th starter/bullpen issues 
           3) Tito's decisions
           4) Baserunning and Catcher throwing
           5) Fielding and sub rotations/platoons
           6) Later, trade talks

Let's keep it "real". Let's keep it clean. Let's keep it all about the Sox and Sox-related issues.

Let the games begin. Let the rings be ours!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not. The O's are gonna shock you this year, Moon.
    Tonight they beat Price in Tampa.  Not an easy task. Wieters hit 8th. That's an imposing line-up.

TB is going to shock you, not me.

What's ur take on the RedSox season opener?

Bad line-up, but I hate making judgements over one game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Crawford is in the #7 slot today...that happened pretty quick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Boomer, if Crawford batted second and Ellsbury lead-off, it would create lefty-lefty situation.  To take advantage of the speed tandem between the two, someone would have to hit ninth.  This way, Pedroia would remain in his comfortable number two situation.  I guess the question is whose ego would be less bruised. I beg to differ with you, but I just cannot imagine Crawford EVER being a number three hitter.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. I was impresseed with the way Gonzales fared against lefty pitching.  Not only because he hit well, but also because he didn't bail out and looked comfortable against them.  I can say the same thing about Ellsbury....not Drew.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Amp!

An interesting stat is that Carl Crawford had 62 extra base hits last year, compared to Adrian Gonzalez's 64 in 2010 and Youk's 64 in 2009 ( factoring Youk for 2010 would not be useful due to the injury ). Crawford has decent pop when you factor in his triples ( 30 doubles, 13 triples, 19 HR ) and he is a much better base runner than Youk or Gonzalez. If he is on base in front of Youk, Gonzalez and Ortiz those guys are probably going to have some holes in the infield to hit though plus see more fastballs. Youk and Gonzalez can hit and run well. It has some merit. Maybe not ideal but it does extend the lineup with 3 solid OBP guys who are good base runners ( Ellsbury, Pedroia and Crawford ) with the 3 big guns right behind them ( Youk, Gonzalez, Ortiz ). One through 6 this team has a tremendous lineup.

I'm not thrilled with 7-9 but that can be enhanced through platoons and with a little luck maybe that group can put up decent numbers also. 

Call me crazy but this lineup needs to win some small ball games also. Who cares if we win 10 - 5 games if we can't squeeze some 3-2 wins also. We need both. To do that we will need much better pitching than we are getting now and Crawford probably needs to hit near the top of the lineup. If we get good pitching this team and lineup could manufacture a lot of wins. 

Adrian Gonzalez actually is a great situational hitter, as he showed many times in San Diego. A local friend once told me "If Adrian doesn't hit we do not win" and I think that was right on. ( I live in San Diego county ). He generates wins with all of his hitting ability. This guy is a professional hitter. I think he is the key this year. We need a 140 RBI season out of him. He is in the right slot for that now. Adrian is the top 5 hitter this team needs to incite fear in other teams, our current Manny Ramirez. Different styles but similar impact.

So why not hit Adrian 3rd? I have no problem with that. I'd like to hit him 1st, 2nd and 3rd! A strong case could be made for that and I bet that might even soon emerge but if you run the Bill James type numbers, it makes more sense to to me to get the maximum numbers of guys on base before Adrian comes up considering all factors. Let's say the game leads off and 38% of batters get on from that first 5 batters ( for example .36 + .38 + .38 + .40 ). There is a pretty good chance that more than one guy gets on out of that first 4 batters and that Adrian is going to get up quite a bit in that first inning. Adrian is then positioned well to drive them in. And Ortiz is also. This should be a big year for Youk, Adrian and Ortiz in terms of RBI with this lineup.

This lineup could be made up many ways and at some point people will be moved around if they are not hitting. To me, the current lineup is kind of optimized for both small ball and big inning potential. I have no problem with it overall. But we better start getting much better pitching!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Amp, I like your ideas tonight and especially on Salty.  If we play fifty games and he's hitting below the Mendoza line, then ok, take a look at it.  But as far as handling the game, he needs time to hone his craft.  No need to jerk him out after three games.  Moon, you've been a clarion for two years on the use of our bench facing lefties.  This year it seems there's been a lot of talk in the press about it, even after just three games.  It would seem that this would be seeping through to Tito.  I don't know how things work in the organization; I would think that at some point Theo would have a chat with him.  I think you've made the argument that the right use of those who hit lefties well (Tek, etc.) would result in significant wins.  I think BBGM is Softy; he can't say anything good about Ells, even if Ells hit four homers in a row, signed his bat and gave it to Softy with a check for 10 grand.  I for one will not be addressing any of his posts; last year at times it was unpleasant for me to come to this site because of him.  Too much invective.  Not pleasant or fun which is why I come here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

This one is for Softy, ahem...BaseballGM. The key phrase for me was "Narcissists score up the Wazoo in Entitlement"!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNorthAK. Show RSNorthAK's posts

I did mention, prior to o-day, when most were exhalting the Phillies/Sox series, that everyone best look out for Baltimore. I said they would finish 2nd if the Red Sox weren't occupying that seat. I pick the Yanks for #3 spot ... IF ... not #1.

The O's remind me of the spit and grit of the Rays start-ups. Just saying. Wouldn't come as a surprise to this old codger.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Boomer, if Crawford batted second and Ellsbury lead-off, it would create lefty-lefty situation.  To take advantage of the speed tandem between the two, someone would have to hit ninth.  This way, Pedroia would remain in his comfortable number two situation.  I guess the question is whose ego would be less bruised.

I beg to differ with you, but I just cannot imagine Crawford EVER being a number three hitter.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

I was impresseed with the way Gonzales fared against lefty pitching.  Not only because he hit well, but also because he didn't bail out and looked comfortable against them.  I can say the same thing about Ellsbury....not Drew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/8449/worry-arrives-early-in-red-sox-nation

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boom: Think Tampa Bay Rays a few years back.
    The O's have a pitching staff that's maturing. They use their fielders more than the Rays hurlers, which is why the O's went out and improved themselves defensively.
    They now have likely HOF'er Vlad, who hasn't begun to hit yet despite the team's 4-0 start. They added Reynolds, who hit 32 dingers last year. Gold glover Derrick Lee man's first. Hardy is at SS.

Roberts/Markakis are as good as any table setters in the game. Wieters, Scott, Jones and Markakis finally have something to play for, and it will elevate their game. The pen is unproven, but Showalter has brought his motivation, experience, pitching coach and bench coach with him.
    He gave up a cushy job at ESPN because he believes the organization is now doing things right.

And I'll bet they will make some interesting moves before the trade deadline. They have $$$ to spend. Any team taking them lightly is in for a surprise.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNorthAK. Show RSNorthAK's posts

Kinsler.  What a one man wrecking crew. Hell of a way to break out of the gate. He is living right for the moment. Maybe a barn-burner when all is said and done?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

The Angels just lost 3 to the Royals - The Royals!!! - to start the season. This is a fluke and, as moon says, a small sample size.

Sometime during the season, the Sox will reel off 10 or 12 wins in a row, and the loss of these three games to start the season will be a distance memory.

This will be especially true if this string turns out to be the longest losing streak of the season.

Sit tight, people. Come back from the ledge.

And I am not worried about Salty. Yet. 

Note to Tito:  I will volunteer to pick up Luis Exposito in Pawtucket and drive him to Fenway free of charge.

NO pressure, Tito. None.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Harness, my friend, with the ineptness of the offense, I don't think it mattered who was catching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I did mention, prior to o-day, when most were exhalting the Phillies/Sox series, that everyone best look out for Baltimore. I said they would finish 2nd if the Red Sox weren't occupying that seat. I pick the Yanks for #3 spot ... IF ... not #1. The O's remind me of the spit and grit of the Rays start-ups. Just saying. Wouldn't come as a surprise to this old codger.
    Posted by RSNorthAK[/QUOTE]

Well, you me and Youuuk all agree with this projection. We are the only three on this board that has said as much.
    The O's are for real. They came into the season ready to play./ Buck S. saw to that. Tito can learn that running a lax camp equates to a slow start.
    Teams aren't gonna roll over and play dead because of Boston's winter acquisitions.
    They are gonna want to beat us all the more.

The RedSox must seek a higher level if they want to be taken seriously.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Well, they did plate 10 in the first two games...enough to take a series if the pitching staff is firing. As I posted earlier, the O's scored one more run in their road series...and swept.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True, Harness.  But, I think the Sox are just snake-bitten by the Rangers..like the Orioles against the Sox a few years back.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I have a multi-part question:

How long is the leash on Salty? (from either a defensive or offensive standpoint).

What's plan B?  Do the Sox increase Varitek's playing time?  Do they go out and try to acquire a veteren catcher?  Do they consider looking internally if there's a catcher that's MLB ready?  Lavarnway?  Exposito?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, I am standing on the bridge

Don't jump. This team is too good to let 3 games worry anyone. 

Think of it this way: we just got rid of one of the hardest away series of the year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not going to be a cakewalk for anybody. There are a lot of good teams around... many in our own division.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : I have to be honest here and just say that I haven't researched Baltimore all that much. I was aware that they have lots of good young pitching emerging but it's hard to believe that it will remain solid after they are seen around the league a few times. It's unusual to go from last to 1st or 2nd in a year. Those of us from 67 vintage know it can be done but it is unusual. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom, the thing is, its not like they are coming out of the blue.  Since Buck took over on August 3rd, the O's are 30-15.  Thats not a small sample size.  They were the best in the AL East by 3.5 games after August 3rd last year.  So, this fast start is really just picking up where they left off last year.  While i don't expect them to dominate, there is no reason why they shouldn't remain highly competitive.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]OK, I am standing on the bridge.  But before I go I want Moon to have my "Babe Ruth" glove which I got at a yard sale--no webbing, individual fingers, looks about 1927 vintage.  Boom, you get the napkin that Ted Williams left on the table about 1963 when I waited on him at the Lobster House in Trenton, Maine. Amp, you get my little league uniform which looks like an old RS uniform but it says "Trenton Tigers" on it.  If fit pretty well in 1960, about the time Frank Malzone was playing 3rd and Dick "Strangleglove" Stuart was playing first.  I think that was his name.  Harness, you get my Carlton Willey baseball card because you're all over pitching--sorry, he didn't play for the RS but he was a good pitcher from Cherryfield, Maine.  Because you and Moon are also all over defensive catching, I'm going to let you two fight for my baseball program from the college world series won by the University of Maine and signed by Stump Merrill--a great catcher who unfortunately fell in with the NYY.  Goodbye my friends, I'm thinking of you at the end, but I don't think I can take a whole year with pitching like this...you guys gave me a lot of pleasure...so long...
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Carlton Willey.
    Hmmmmm.
    I always wanted a Carlton Willey baseball card...
    Undecided

No.  No.  No!!!!

Don't jump, Crit!!!

Don't do it!!!!

Frown
    Is Salty with you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Harness, my friend, with the ineptness of the offense, I don't think it mattered who was catching.

Well, they did plate 10 in the first two games...enough to take a series if the pitching staff is firing. As I posted earlier, the O's scored one more run in their road series...and swept.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boomer, if Crawford batted second and Ellsbury lead-off, it would create lefty-lefty situation.  To take advantage of the speed tandem between the two, someone would have to hit ninth.  This way, Pedroia would remain in his comfortable number two situation.  I guess the question is whose ego would be less bruised. I beg to differ with you, but I just cannot imagine Crawford EVER being a number three hitter.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. I was impresseed with the way Gonzales fared against lefty pitching.  Not only because he hit well, but also because he didn't bail out and looked comfortable against them.  I can say the same thing about Ellsbury....not Drew.

Since Pedroia appears to have more pop in his bat now having him hit 3rd is not all that bad either, with Ellsbury 1 and Crawford 2. We are going to have 2 guys in a row hitting left handed no matter what we do generally. We have lots of great lineup options.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, I'm envious you got to the opener even though the results weren't there.  Hope the food was good.  Anyone look good other than A-Gon?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tongue out