A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Scutaro's Career OPS v. RHP is  .712 Fact: Lowrie's Career OPS v. RHP is .680 

2011 vs RHP  J-Low  .854  (2nd A.L. SS)        Scut  .469
    2010 vs RHP            .823  (1st A.L. SS)                 .711

J-Low minors  vs RHP  .835

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

2010 was a couple of months of a partial season, with tired days off for Lowrie.

Reddick has 6 homers in 6 games in AAA...................................

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"2010 was a couple of months of a partial season, with tired days off for Lowrie."

Hmmm, then this???
    "Fact: Ortiz v. LHP in 2011  BA .360  OBP .500  OPS 1.020"

Now, I'm a fan so I hope that Papi's April v.LHP stats are indicative of some turn around in that department ... but odds are better that Jed's nearly half-season #'s v RHP are more indicative of the future than Papi's April stats v.LHP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few thoughts:

Right now I am not sure that it matters what historical numbers were for Crawford v. Ellsbury leading off an inning. Crawford is mired in a terrible slump and Ellsbury is coming out of his big time.

This can't seem to be stated enough. Jed Lowrie's MLB sample sets were clouded by his wrist injury.

Just how good he is hitting LH or RH is to be seen. He has been on a blazing hot streak and that amplifies his current samples of course. But it isn't hard to see why the player who is hot is playing when the veteran vying for the same PT is not. And just to add to that for the vast majority of his career Marco Scutaro was what he is being asked to do right now while Lowrie is hot, he was a utility infielder.

Unless one is dead set on being right no matter what, the Lowrie-Scutaro situation can only be classified as a happy problem.

Quitely Salty is starting to quiet some of the in game management talk. It seems apparent that the Boston Red Sox starting pitchers are pitching better than they did in the first two weeks and that is whether it is him or Tek. It doesn't address all the 'warts' that Salty has but it is somewhat deflating the rather scary thought that only a 39 year old catcher can provide success to this very highly paid starting staff. And some of the 'warts' are shared by both catchers, the poor percentage throwing base stealers out and the hitting issues. In fact right now, it isn't close, Salty is the better hitter.

If Ortiz still can't hit LH pitching, somebody should tell him because so far this year he is not having major problems with it. That of course over 500 PAs could change but for the moment it isn't. On a team with so many LH, there are other guys to worry about for the moment. And in Moon's defense I do recall seeing any threads on it lately. 

IMO it isn't just Tek's batting numbers, it is the quality of the PAs. he certainly looks like a guy that can't hit MLB pitching anymore. Crawford has some awful PAs right now, chases pitcher's pitches but there are still a fair number of hard drives coming off of his bat at times. The more of a true back-up Jason is the less concerning this is IMO but catching 95 or so games, that is a lot of games to have a pretty sure out in your line-up. Believe it or not, it is my opinion that fans of Tek's shouldbe rooting for Salty to be successful. The more salty successfully catches this staff, the more Jason's role is right sized to the point where hisage will not be a factor in diminshed performance. 

I personally don't get the need to bang on Wakefield's presence on the roster with such intensity but I am equally puzzled about making the case that he is not used enough or properly. His presence on this team currently neither hurts nor helps the team very much but preserves more guys capable of absorbing innings on the 40 man roster. That is what it is and to make more of it seems like a waste of bytes.

Just my takes 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

but odds are better that Jed's nearly half-season #'s v RHP are more indicative of the future than Papi's April stats v.LHP.

but odds are better that Ortiz's career v LHP are more indicative than Jed's "nearly half season" v. RHP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]but odds are better that Jed's nearly half-season #'s v RHP are more indicative of the future than Papi's April stats v.LHP. but odds are better that Ortiz's career v LHP are more indicative than Jed's "nearly half season" v. RHP.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]
    Yet you used Ortiz's one month v.LHP stats which are vastly inflated from his career stats.  Similarly, you used Jed's career stats v.RHP which are probably not indicative of his actual (read current) ability.  That was my point.

FWIW, even with your cherry-picked Lowrie stat, you don't make a convincing argument on the Lowrie v. Scutaro debate.  Scutaro has a .030 OPS advantage vs. Lowrie on his best comparative split stat?  Really? And this is when you use career numbers which include a significant, majority actually, sample of AB's with an injured wrist.  I'd be willing to bet that by August, Lowrie's v.RHP OPS will be within .010 of Scutaro at worst.  

That being said, it is a good thing for the team that Lowrie has played well enough to generate this debate.  I just don't understand your obsession with Lowrie or your infantile need to be right that he is a utility player at best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

One more thing...

BGM: It is exceedingly amusing that you did not use the opportunity of an identity change to abandon some of your less accurate predictions/opinions.  You come back under a new screen name, insist you aren't "that guy" and you still persist with your most absurd obsessions ... and even use the same catch phrases and faded arguments of your alter-ego.  Silly and sad but good entertainment for the rest of us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: One more thing...

In Response to One more thing...:
    [QUOTE]BGM: It is exceedingly amusing that you did not use the opportunity of an identity change to abandon some of your less accurate predictions/opinions.  You come back under a new screen name, insist you aren't "that guy" and you still persist with your most absurd obsessions ... and even use the same catch phrases and faded arguments of your alter-ego.  Silly and sad but good entertainment for the rest of us.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

He's managed to stay away from using 'jitterbug' and 'wheelchair contract' so far, that's about it... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: One more thing...

In Response to One more thing...:
    [QUOTE]BGM: It is exceedingly amusing that you did not use the opportunity of an identity change to abandon some of your less accurate predictions/opinions.  You come back under a new screen name, insist you aren't "that guy" and you still persist with your most absurd obsessions ... and even use the same catch phrases and faded arguments of your alter-ego.  Silly and sad but good entertainment for the rest of us.

would you say his arguements are ... captious?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

FWIW, even with your cherry-picked Lowrie stat

I think taking a couple of months with tired days off and less than a month of tired days off April is the real cherry-picked Lowrie stat.

That's my point. Your point is as dull as Slav's tiresome stat snipets on why Wakefield is the best 25th man option on the active roster. Or Harness ignoring that Varitek has given up 9 runs in his last 2 starts, while Salty has only given up 2 runs.

Anyone know why Lowrie had a tired day off, during this Ruthian hot streak?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

What is a "tired day off" ... is it different from other days off?  You seem to be implying that a player's stats should be much better when they don't play every day.  Does that make Scutaro's disappointing April stats even worse since he's had a lot of "tired days" off?

I don't know about Slav's or Harness' tired points ... but I will go look up what a "straw man argument" is later.  My point was clear and my argument sound ... and now it needs a tired day off to rest from your absurdity.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Anyone know why Lowrie had a tired day off, during this Ruthian hot streak?"

Because Tito is a pretty damn good manager.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Lowrie had the night off last night because Scutaro had really good splits:

Francona started Marco Scutaro at shortstop over Jed Lowrie last night. Lowrie was 1 for 8 in the first two games. Scutaro, meanwhile, had a .316 batting average (9 for 16) against Orioles righthanded starter Brad Bergesen.

“Want to keep him productive,’’ Francona said, referring to Scutaro. “Got a lot of history with [Bergesen]. Pretty good success.’’

Scutaro wound up going 0 for 4, flying out to center in his two at-bats against Bergesen.

When Francona releases his lineup today, it’s likely Scutaro will go back to his reserve role.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Can you believe that Francona using stat "snippets" to make a line-up decision?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Vote on BaseballGM's "season"

At the risk off engaging in an ad hominem attack (and with some alliterative flourish) I will pose a question to the board.  What should we expect from BGM, whoever he actually is, during this baseball discussion season?

[ ] Captious captions of capriciously calculated causality
    [ ] Soft suggestions signifying stupendously small sample sizes
    [ ] Pedantic pretender pitching pithy posts of pathetic pablum

VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!!! 
    (Copy and past and fill in your check box, please)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

All answers above are astute.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

TY, sir.  I am particularly proud of my tip 'o the hat to Morton Downey Jr.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With our known weakness to LHPs, it makes me wonder why people want to trade Cam.

Drew and Craw on the bench, but still 3 of the top 5 hitters in the line-up arelefties tonight. (Ells hits both sides the same, so I guess he doesn't count.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad Albers was pitching & fielding tonight instead of Wake "flopping all over the place".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]With our known weakness to LHPs, it makes me wonder why people want to trade Cam.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

There'll be a lot less people looking to trade Cameron after his 2 dingers off the lefty tonight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Why?  Why would one good or bad game cause the clever fan to pass judgment on a player?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Why?  Why would one good or bad game cause the clever fan to pass judgment on a player?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

The smart fans never wanted Cameron to be traded.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Re: Vote on BaseballGM's "season"

In Response to Vote on BaseballGM's "season":
    [QUOTE]At the risk off engaging in an ad hominem attack (and with some alliterative flourish) I will pose a question to the board.  What should we expect from BGM, whoever he actually is, during this baseball discussion season? [ ] Captious captions of capriciously calculated causality [ ] Soft suggestions signifying stupendously small sample sizes [ ] Pedantic pretender pitching pithy posts of pathetic pablum VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!!!  (Copy and past and fill in your check box, please)

Post of the year. Even Softy / GM is laughing at this post. I do hope that you remain in the forum. we all need to just humor and laugh with the old coot from North Carolina. Play his game and never take him seriously. It is all fun. Pity the newbies who don't have a clue on what is transpiring here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The smart fans never wanted Cameron to be traded.

Yes, and it has nothing to do with tonight's game.

Sections
Shortcuts