A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Yes, you can not speak "for him", you are him.

Best line I've read all night! That was good.

Nice to see Cam break out of it. I had my doubts. Can Tek follow suit?

Seattle has to be the dullest team in baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]The smart fans never wanted Cameron to be traded. Yes, and it has nothing to do with tonight's game.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I'd trade anyone if the deal is right! Even Cameron!

We need a catcher, not a 4th or 5th OF. Cameron was of some value. We had tons of OF talent in the minors and so far Cameron is up to an .185 average after his big game tonight!

Those people talking about trading him MUST HAVE BEEN IDIOTS!

Cameron has great numbers recently against LH pitching. He is obviously of some value and should get more PT in my opinion considering all the LH pitching we have been facing. I'd still trade him in a heartbeat if the deal is right. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd trade anyone if the deal is right! Even Cameron!

Of course we should trade anyone if we can get more in return. The point is, what team offered more than his value on this team as one of the few hitters that has killed LHP'ing for 3 sraight years? (.900+ OPS)

We need a catcher, not a 4th or 5th OF. Cameron was of some value. We had tons of OF talent in the minors and so far Cameron is up to an .185 average after his big game tonight!

Boom, Kalish and Reddick both bat left-handed.
    Cameron' smple size is small this year. By season's end, he will be at about .250 and a rate of 25 Hrs/650 PAs, but more importantly, look at his season-ending numbers vs LHPs.

Those people talking about trading him MUST HAVE BEEN IDIOTS!

What specific deas were mentioned? All I heard were vague mentionings of Joe Blanton.

Cameron has great numbers recently against LH pitching. He is obviously of some value and should get more PT in my opinion considering all the LH pitching we have been facing. I'd still trade him in a heartbeat if the deal is right. 

Who's going to trade a catcher that is going to help us win for a $7M OF'er. His role on our team isworth more than any other team's needs. Not many other teams will pay $7M for a player who only excells vs LHPs?

Name a catcher we can get for Cam...a team that needs Cam so much and has an extra good catcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

My point was clear and my argument sound

Your point was dull and your argument fallacious.

Oki with a clean inning in a one run game. Where was Wakefield?

Varitek has given up 14 runs in his last 3 pitching starts.

Cameron is the best CF'er the Red Sox have, because it's also a defensive game.

The 142M high mileage scatback has been benched for lack of produciton.

Cameron was the only real offense.

Should be very embarrassing to the Red Sox team to get beat by a loser lefty starting pitcher like that. Too many poor PA mixed in throughout the order.

Putz and a player opt out year one and 12 for 14M v. Jenks.

Wakefield was at his best, sitting and spitting in the dugout.

Hope DiceK isn't going to miss a start, Lordy, Lordy if Wakfield is carted out on little wheels.

Gammons talking about who might replace DiceK if he needs a DL, and mentioned Doubrant and Aceves and yes, you guessed it, Wakefield. There is a politician talking about a carnival that he's sinking, that's what Wakefield is. Peter can't be in his right mind, talking about Wakefield starting.

The Mariners are a proud loser franchise. I feel sorry for Hill. 

Despite the slow start and Theo's mistakes, the record setting payroll has procured enough to win the division. Barring a long term DL to a starting pitcher or core player, the Red Sox look quite strong despite dropping one to the Mariners.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrchip1958. Show mrchip1958's posts

Why can't anyone hit?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why can't we deport Softy's keyboard?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BertoSoxFan. Show BertoSoxFan's posts

Just like the 2010 sox, this seems like a team that will always find a way to lose when the chance arises.  The minute one piece comes together, some other piece flies off.  I'm pissed.  Like my late grandfather used to say, "If it isn't the s*#@'s it's the farts."  Stupid Bull Pen!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm beginning to experience your grandfather's wisdom.
    "If it ain't the buns, it's the runs"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Varitek has given up 14 runs in his last 3 starts. Anway they'll just mail Varitek to the basement that Harness lives in?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Every time you post on this thread - the thread in which you vowed never to
    return - fumigation is required.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Hard to return to a thread I've never been on. As with other threads, all the drivel from you and Slav should make this thread a closed discussion. In fact, you have nothing to add except to repeat how Varitek has magic fingers in giving up 14 runs in hise last 3 starts. Varitek's shoulder is flying wide open, he may need a visit to the DL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Hard to return to a thread I've never been on. read I've never As with other threads, all the drivel from you and Slav should make this thread a closed discussion. In fact, you have nothing to add except to repeat how Varitek has magic fingers in giving up 14 runs in hise last 3 starts. Varitek's shoulder is flying wide open, he may need a visit to the DL.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Varitek has given up 14 runs in his last 3 starts. Anway they'll just mail Varitek to the basement that Harness lives in?

Why is it when I make a post where I admit it is based on a small sample size, you claim"Slav, it's only April!"

But now, you are making absurd claims over a 3 game sample size and it's is supposed to be credible?

Why not go start another Sox-bashing post of your own?

It's your specialty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Regarding Cameron, one of the nicest guys in baseball who has had a heck of a career, no one is anxious to trade him. It's just that he costs $7.5 mil this year and we have a relative excess in reserve OF. We also are right at the luxury tax limit with little ability or willingness to add players by other than the trade option reportedly. They are penalized at an escalating rate when they go over the luxury tax limit in consecutive years. Cameron was one of the obvious trade options in spring training, along with guys like Scutaro and Matsuzaka. Check out an overview at the time below:

To me, reserve OF usually are easily available for around $1 mil. Kapler and I believe most of our recent reserve OF have been in that range, even the typical #4.

We lose a very important RH platoon bat for sure but we still had McDonald and Linares who both projected to be close to the same RH bats at this point in their careers, for well over $6.5 mil less per year. Cameron, at 39 years old, is probably not the same bat he was in Milwaukee 2 years ago, in a very cozy HR park.

Cameron could well be a starter on a lot of teams and we had likely problems at catcher. I would rather they picked up a guy like Russell Martin with the cash Cameron was costing even if we had to eat his salary. Good platoon catchers are generally available in the $3-4 mil range. Even Russell Martin ended up costing under $6 mil if I remember correctly.

That's where I was coming from. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me, reserve OF usually are easily available for around $1 mil. Kapler and I believe most of our recent reserve OF have been in that range, even the typical #4.

For this reason, why would someone give up a good catcher to pay Cam $7.5M when they can get close to that for $1-2M? The reasons you use to want to get rid of Cam are the same reasons nobody will trade a good catcher for him and his contract.

We lose a very important RH platoon bat for sure but we still had McDonald and Linares who both projected to be close to the same RH bats at this point in their careers, for well over $6.5 mil less per year.

The problem is we need a righty bat for Drew and Crawford, as well as for Salty an maybe Papi as the season pregresses. DMac fills one slot: Linares is not a sure thing.

Cameron, at 39 years old, is probably not the same bat he was in Milwaukee 2 years ago, in a very cozy HR park.

Again, so why would someone give up a helpful catcher for him?
    Isn't Fenway a cozy HR park also?

Cameron could well be a starter on a lot of teams and we had likely problems at catcher. I would rather they picked up a guy like Russell Martin with the cash Cameron was costing even if we had to eat his salary.

1) In hindsight, so far, it seems like Martin was a great choice. I had pushed for a catcher pick up all winter long.
    2) If we ate some of Crawford's salary, or most of it, we could have signed Martin and broke about even, cost wise.
    3) Linares has not done well so far in AAA. DMac has not done great either.

Good platoon catchers are generally available in the $3-4 mil range. Even Russell Martin ended up costing under $6 mil if I remember correctly.

I heard he didn't want to play here.

That's where I was coming from. 

In theory, I agree boom. I' like to have a $7Mcatcher instead of Cam as well, but then we'd need another righy bat a well... who? and at what cost?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Start Cameron, move Ellsbury to LF until Crawford starts hitting. When Crawford starts hitting, use Ellsbury as the 4th outfielder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Start Cameron, move Ellsbury to LF until Crawford starts hitting. When Crawford starts hitting, use Ellsbury as the 4th outfielder...

vs. lefties, yes.

Why did you say that Papi needs to play to get over his funk vs LHPs, but benching is better for Crawford?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I didn't say that. But Papi is "over his funk v. LHP", which his career reflection is quite good.

The OF needs a good RH OF'er who defends well and slugs LHP decently on a career level. Cameron has good speed and good defense and good arm, and that's enough to play him most of the time, even against LH starting pitching. He needs to play enough to maintain rhythm and timing, and not many LH starters go more than 5 or 6 innings.

Sections
Shortcuts