A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Amp, I'm with you on giving Salty a chance. I think that Tito has been doing that, ergo starting him against Texas even against LH pitching ( his last team ). They are showing confidence in him. Hopefully it will pay off over time. 

One guy who looks pretty solid is Gonzalez. The guy looks so professional as a hitter. He doesn't seem to sing hard but the ball flies off his bat. hits to all fields. Maybe he is the guy we want hitting 3rd after all. He seems to be able to hit for average and power. Kind of a perfect #3 it seems.

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Gonzalez
    Youk
    Crawford
    Ortiz
    Drew/Cameron
    Salty
    Lowrie/Scutaro

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It looks like Tito has no clue about the L-R thing at catcher. He missed a chance t hve VTek start vs at least one lefty in Texas, and now he is starting him vs a righty tonight.

VTek has had an .800+ OPS vs LHPs for the last 3 straight years. Salty is under .600 vs LHPs. 

Sorry, I just don't get it.

As to the 2 lefties in a row to start the line-up: Ellsbury hits lefties equally or better than righties, so why should it matter at all?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Didn't take long for a no confidence on Crawford as the #3 hitter. When I first heard that Crawford was being used as the regular #3 hitter, I thought it had to be a joke. Crawford isn't a #3 hitter, and never has been. Particularly with Agon and Youk in the lineup, it has to be an attempt to justify that silly Crawford contract.

Buch looks great, inning one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In case no one else has noticed, the Rangers have put together one heck of a team also. One heck of a lineup and some solid pitching. They are for real.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was hoping this would remain a softy-free zne, but the clown has now has proved he can't keep his own word.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Through the first season series:

O's: 3 - 0  Runs For:  12  Runs Against: 3. Swept the Rays in Tampa

Redsox:  0 - 3  Runs for: 11  Runs against: 26.  

I'll say it yet again: Watch out for da birdies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Im8Lu5pP0&feature=related

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We will see if the Orioles are for real. It's still hard to believe. There are a lot of great teams in this division.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Boomer, if Crawford batted second and Ellsbury lead-off, it would create lefty-lefty situation... (amp)

Amp, it really shouldn't matter since Ellsbury hits lefties as good, if not better, than righties.

Sidenote: Pedey hits righties better than lefties, so he really should not be considered a righty if you are looking at the L-R-L line-up paradigm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'm not saying the Rangers are better than the Sox but you know, it just might be. They did go to the world series last year if I remember correctly. They did add Beltre's defense and bat. They do have decent pitching and if you look closely at their lineup it does rival the Sox lineup and might even be better. 

I'm still projecting the Sox as better but I have been projecting the Rangers to emerge for over 2 years now. They have a lot of outstanding young talent. And Beltre alone is a huge pickup for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I also think Carl Crawford will end up a decent #2 or 3 hitter over time. I do think the team would benefit from him being dropped against some left handers but he is a quality player nonetheless. Look at the numbers he put up last year! We should not worry about CC, the hardest working man in baseball!

We see more info now popping up about moving Pedroia to #3 or #5 as many of us speculated earlier. It could still happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

OK, I am standing on the bridge.  But before I go I want Moon to have my "Babe Ruth" glove which I got at a yard sale--no webbing, individual fingers, looks about 1927 vintage.  Boom, you get the napkin that Ted Williams left on the table about 1963 when I waited on him at the Lobster House in Trenton, Maine.
    Amp, you get my little league uniform which looks like an old RS uniform but it says "Trenton Tigers" on it.  If fit pretty well in 1960, about the time Frank Malzone was playing 3rd and Dick "Strangleglove" Stuart was playing first.  I think that was his name.  Harness, you get my Carlton Willey baseball card because you're all over pitching--sorry, he didn't play for the RS but he was a good pitcher from Cherryfield, Maine.  Because you and Moon are also all over defensive catching, I'm going to let you two fight for my baseball program from the college world series won by the University of Maine and signed by Stump Merrill--a great catcher who unfortunately fell in with the NYY.  Goodbye my friends, I'm thinking of you at the end, but I don't think I can take a whole year with pitching like this...you guys gave me a lot of pleasure...so long...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

I know it's probably too soon to broach this subject but is it possible that a more experienced catcher such as Varitek would have had a more calming influence over the pitching staff over the last 2 games and had some influence on the outcome of either game or did Texas' offense simply pour it on too hot and heavy for any relief?

My concern is that Salty's lack of experience may have some bearing on knowing how to read the opposing hitters and knowing what changes to make with regards to pitches to throw under certain conditions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Maybe Im crazy, but I say to give Salty some time here.  From all accounts I've read, Tuck has supposedly worked extensively with him and the conclusion was that he has has substantially improved defensively. Does this include pitch calling etc.? I don't know.  I don't think Papelbon called off any of his pitches while in the process of striking out three guys in a row.  Also, he's been injured the last two years.  I say to give the guy a chance before throwing him under the bus.

I shudder at the thought of batting Crawford third all year.  He's just not a number three hitter.  This is not a knock on Crawford, but why third with Youlikis or Gonzalez available?

IMHO, Lowrie looked very comfortable at short....made a couple of outstanding plays.  There is no doubt in my mind that he is more than adequate at that position....or second base for that matter.  Hence, when Iglesias comes up, he will certainly be the designated super sub.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNorthAK. Show RSNorthAK's posts

After that thrashing of the pitching...All I can tell youse guys is that I've changed the name "johnson" to "john" ... at least for the interim.

I was all planned to catch the games this weekend. Cancelled appointments. Made excuses to the wife for not cleaning out the garage. Told associates I was sick. Bought enough beer and bourbon to choke a baseball team. Didn't shave, threatened the cable company and ISP, and took out my old RS hat signed by Papi.

I was ready. Apparently the RS were not. And now little john.

I wonder if Beckett is smirking on the inside.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

know it's probably too soon to broach this subject but is it possible that a more experienced catcher such as Varitek would have had a more calming influence over the pitching staff over the last 2 games and had some influence on the outcome of either game or did Texas' offense simply pour it on too hot and heavy for any relief?

My concern is that Salty's lack of experience may have some bearing on knowing how to read the opposing hitters and knowing what changes to make with regards to pitches to throw under certain conditions.

I don't like to pile on over 1 game sample sizes (or even two in this case). As I said before the season, VTek should catch vs almost all LH starters. That would have meant he'd have started 2 of the first 3 games and who knows what might have happened. I can't imagine it could have been worse, and we might have actually have gotten a hit or two from our catching position along the way as well.

VTek has had an over 800 OPS vs LHPs the last three years. Many just assume Tek can't hit, but the truth is, he just hasn't hit righties well in 2 years. Salty has been horrible vs RHPs his whole career (under .600 OPS).

I went to the last 2 games, but haven't watched the replays, so I can't say much about how Salty handled the staff.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Some year and 3 days and spring training ssessments after a weekend embarrassment:

1. Lackey is a bust in year 2 of a 5 year ball and chain contract
    2. Salty is a Ranger castoff for a reason
    3. Despite the solo shots, Buch looked good in the high winds
    4. Papelbon is still a very good relief pitcher, even if he isn't 2007 dominant
    5. Lester started slow but will still have another solid year
    6. 2011 Jacked-up opening series Rangers are inferior to 2010 Rangers
    7. Pedroia looks fully recovered
    8. Youk isn't fully recovered but is on the road to full recovery
    9. Ortiz looks confident, even against commercial lefthanded pitching
    10.Reyes has decent lefty specialty stuff
    11.Aceves should replace Wakefield
    12.Crawford has no business hitting 3rd and shoud leadoff and just get on base
    13.Scutaro and Lowrie are 2nd basemen, Iglesias should start by the summer
    14.Wheeler is going to do a good job in the middle of the pen
    15.Ellsbury is a weak defensive CF'er who can't run with a quiet upper body 16.Cameron looks very smooth in the OF
    17.Cameron should start when Drew sits against Lefties, Not Mac
    18.Mac, Scutaro or Lowrie should pinch late for catcher in minus 1-3 R
    19.Trade for or call-up a veteran but fit decent overall catcher to replace Salty
    20.Either Dicek or Beckett's pitching well will be the key to the season
    21.Ellsbury should hit 9th to turn the lineup over better & Ped Youk & AGon 2-4
    22.Ellsbury has an ugly reverse pivot swing and needs to slap hit under the gun
    23.AGon isn't fully recovered but is a natural hitter with a terrific swing
    24.Team will have no problem scoring enough runs to win the division
    25.The team needed a solid catcher combination and better pitching and Crawford didn't address a single 2011 team need
    26.Luchino needs to shorten the leash on Epstein and make some immediate adjustments

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

I prefer the easy answer. The two pitchers lacked control, didn't have their best stuff, and the Texas hitters are hot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some year and 3 days and spring training ssessments after a weekend embarrassment:

1. Lackey is a bust in year 2 of a 5 year ball and chain contract
    2. Salty is a Ranger castoff for a reason
    3. Despite the solo shots, Buch looked good in the high winds
    4. Papelbon is still a very good relief pitcher, even if he isn't 2007 dominant
    5. Lester started slow but will still have another solid year
    6. 2011 Jacked-up opening series Rangers are inferior to 2010 Rangers
    7. Pedroia looks fully recovered
    8. Youk isn't fully recovered but is on the road to full recovery
    9. Ortiz looks confident, even against commercial lefthanded pitching
    10.Reyes has decent lefty specialty stuff
    11.Aceves should replace Wakefield
    12.Crawford has no business hitting 3rd and shoud leadoff and just get on base
    13.Scutaro and Lowrie are 2nd basemen, Iglesias should start by the summer
    14.Wheeler is going to do a good job in the middle of the pen
    15.Ellsbury is a weak defensive CF'er who can't run with a quiet upper body 16.Cameron looks very smooth in the OF
    17.Cameron should start when Drew sits against Lefties, Not Mac
    18.Mac, Scutaro or Lowrie should pinch late for catcher in minus 1-3 R
    19.Trade for or call-up a veteran but fit decent overall catcher to replace Salty
    20.Either Dicek or Beckett's pitching well will be the key to the season
    21.Ellsbury should hit 9th to turn the lineup over better & Ped Youk & AGon 2-4
    22.Ellsbury has an ugly reverse pivot swing and needs to slap hit under the gun
    23.AGon isn't fully recovered but is a natural hitter with a terrific swing
    24.Team will have no problem scoring enough runs to win the division
    25.The team needed a solid catcher combination and better pitching and Crawford didn't address a single 2011 team need
    26.Luchino needs to shorten the leash on Epstein and make some immediate adjustments

harness, you were right all along. This is softy. It's funny how he has slammed this thread and me, and now goes under cover to post here.

The clown exposed.

It must be killing him not to be able to call me "Mo".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

bump

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Anybody worried about how anemic the offense has looked against lefty starters so far?

No.

I was worried long before the season began. I was worred lst year when Tito not only kept Papi in the line-up vs most LHPs, but he batted him 5th. I became more worried after the Crawford signing. I knew Tito would keep thepoor hitters vs LHPs up high in the line-up.

I was not surpised by the results, but I am not going to make any judgements based on a 3 game series.

I will repeat my basic position:
      We have serious issues vs LHPs and should do everything we can to help put ourselves in a better position to score runs versus them. That includes:
    1) Getting Cameron, Lowrie and VTek in as many games as reasonable vs LHPs, especially ones that Papi, Drew, Crawford, Slty and Scutaro struggle against.
    2) Adjust the line-up to put the better hitters up earlier.
    3) Put your best overall hitters up 3rd and 4th (relying on L/R splits heavily).
    4) Break the paradigms, such as the hard-line L-R-L etched in stone philosophy, or at least don't count Ellsbury as a lefty or Pedey as a righty, they both hit the "wrong side" better that or equal to the "right side".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Time for Beckett to start cleaning up this mess! We are due to breakout! 

We are going to hit. That alone should bludgeon some teams into submission.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's to early too see any trend but we do know that our pitching staff might not just walk out there and shut down offenses. I'm hopeful for Buchholz to start out hot. If Gonzalez keeps going he is going to be in a strong negotiating position. He has a lot riding on how he does right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think Natick is pretty much on target. A few pitches in misplaced spots and things can get completely out of control in Texas.

I thought from looking at the game a little that Texas may actually have a huge fan base now but a ton of those people looked and acted like Redsox fans. We are taking over the Universe ( Look out Evil Empire ).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The team lost, not just the pitchers. There will be games we lose 1-0 and 2-1. Our staff will be fine. Relax.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileyBabe. Show SmileyBabe's posts

Anybody worried about how anemic the offense has looked against lefty starters so far?

I mean, if you take out the two runs they got in the opener because of the bad error in RF, they would have only scored 3 runs in the two games off of lefty starters.

Think the Yanks will be trying to add a lefty?

Sections
Shortcuts