A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

I wouldn't assume they would have gone after another outfielder.
    I assumed they were going after another catcher.

I assumed they were not gonna consider extending Paps, but now I have to wonder.
    Kalish is hurt. His style of play makes his physical status fragile. Cam playing FT compromises both him and Drew.

I hate the CC contract, but I'm glad he's on the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Like I said, to me it was VMart or Ortiz. With the numbers Ortiz is putting up most people probably think it was a bad call on my part when looked at as an either  / or situation. VMart is hitting well also though, actually better than Ortiz so far. And he would be helping us at catcher. To me, the bottom line is that we would have been a better team.

Letting Ortiz go would have paid for VMart in full. Crawford to me was a bad match even at $100 mil but the either Ortiz or Martinez option did not preclude signing Crawford or trading for Adrian. There was plenty of money to retain Martinez, let Ortiz go and still do the Crawford and Gonzalez deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's the problem with retaining VMART - being we're limiting this discussion to the short term: Tito would likely have coupled Josh/Dice with him.
    It's possible Tek would not have been retained. Salty could have been the back-up.
    We know from previous data that he compromises pitchers. So, the question is, how would Josh/Dice do with VMART?

Where would the team be right now if Beckett wasn't dominant?
    Both pitchers have done very poorly when VMART caught them.
    I gotta believe Josh would be better than last year, when he was hurt. But I seriously doubt VMART would get the same results Tek has. Fact is, even with Beckett's time in Florida, nowhere did he go 64-27 with anybody else.

And I have to question whether VMART could replace Papi's bat as a catcher.
    As I said, VMART is streaky, which is why I don't put much credence on his current numbers. Papi is liable to hit twice as many dingers as VMART.

I don't like the idea of this line-up w/o Papi in it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I liked Papi's clutch hit the other night. We need to see more of that as the year goes on.

VMart may have a good year or two left in him, but I don't think he will blown Papi away in numbers by season's end, and it was the 2-4 years that were bothersome. A one year deal for $14M would have been ideal, but no way was he ever going to take that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, I'm happy to see your enthusiasm for Bowden.  I think patience is the word when discussing him.  I still feel he can become a good pitcher for us.  Has he been starting or relieving in the minors?  

Now we're going to find out what kind of depth we have in our starting pitching.  I actually have a good feeling about it, as I don't see how we can do worse than the early contributions of Lackey and to some extent Dice-K.  

Moon, I'm not trying to rake over old ground, but I'm not sure I've ever heard you comment on the idea that RS ST is too "relaxed."  I know I've heard that one of our former bench coaches used to keep the intensity up.  Do you think there's anything in it as it relates to "slow start?"

I personally don't enjoy or see the purpose in rehashing moves that have already been made by Theo.  I'm with the majority here--I thought we already had people like CC in the system, a couple of years away.  However, my hope is he contributes and we use him in the optimum way.  It's not like the right fielder for the Phillies, now Washington, is really tearing it up.

I don't think Tek will be here next year, regardless of how well some pitchers respond to him.  I think whether Salty is a starter or back-up next year depends on his progress from now to July.  Just my hunch. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Like I said, to me it was VMart or Ortiz. With the numbers Ortiz is putting up most people probably think it was a bad call on my part when looked at as an either  / or situation. VMart is hitting well also though, actually better than Ortiz so far. And he would be helping us at catcher. To me, the bottom line is that we would have been a better team. Letting Ortiz go would have paid for VMart in full. Crawford to me was a bad match even at $100 mil but the either Ortiz or Martinez option did not preclude signing Crawford or trading for Adrian. There was plenty of money to retain Martinez, let Ortiz go and still do the Crawford and Gonzalez deals.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]It was never VMart or Ortiz to Epstein IMO. Ortiz was a one year team option that Epstein had to tender in 7 days of the last game of the World Series. Based on his 2010 results that was going to happen. Let's keep in mind Epstein does not know if he can sign VMart, Beltre, Crawford, Werth or do a trade and player extension for A-Gon. But he does know his 32 HR - 102 RFBI DH is under his control without a long term commitment.

Team building in off seasons are about multiple options being persued and having multiples so you can go in other directions to still improve if your initial targets fall of the board. Victor while they had a very defined max value set because of his age and his position was IMO a bigger priority than Beltre who they felt would stay on the board longer based on the market place, his agents MO and Beltre's history. That is why the RS offered Victor an extension (weak offer) and the trade rumors about VMart were hot within two weeks of the WS conclusion. And he signed with the Tigers very quickly (11-23-2010).

The RS weren't married to current this tandem or a VMart/Salty or Buck/Salty tandem they were working options but quickly fell off of the John Buck sweepstakes when the terms went to 3 years.

Even after the RS landed their man in trade and signed an OFer they had budget but little market options for a catcher. FWIW IMO their first target was Jayson Werth who they had valued wildly differently than what he got. I think they figured he was in line for Jason Bay money and years and never saw a market for him with the Nats. It probably led them raising their sites on Crawford, knowing that they had very little assets to trade, the catching market was super weak and the RS Board of Directors still stinging from the 2010 NESN ratings never wanted to hear the word bridge again. So they landed Crawford, signed Tek two days after the Winter Meetings and went bottom feeding for more catching depth.

We know the RS flirted with Russell Martin but fresh off of the Mike Lowell experience were very conservative about a catcher coming off of a hip injury.

So they spent their budget on relief pitchers with higher price tags rather than reclamation projects and hoped they could hide the Tek's bat, live with what they projected as league average offense from Salty and that Salty's mechanics and game would improve with lots of work with Gary Tuck.

And with the exception of a 2-10 start that featured awful hitting with RISP by the entire roster, sloppy defense and putrid pitching their 19-10 record since suggests they may be right. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I have a theory about Papi.  Injuries and slow starts were coupled with pressure he may have put on himself to "be the man" wielding the big stick he'd been in the past.  Of course, advancing age is a factor too.  But I think this year he doesn't have to be "the man." just one of "the men."  I think he's accepted that but maybe not last year or the year before.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Every time I see Russell Martin catch, he lets almost as many balls by as he stops.  I know he's good with a bat, but I for one don't think he's what we needed.  I'm  not suggesting anyone is saying that, but does anyone here think he was a good choice?  I don't think he's a CERA catcher. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I'm not trying to rake over old ground, but I'm not sure I've ever heard you comment on the idea that RS ST is too "relaxed."  I know I've heard that one of our former bench coaches used to keep the intensity up.  Do you think there's anything in it as it relates to "slow start?"

I haven't commented on this matter, but I'm not sure what the issue was. I think this team, and many Sox teams before it, lack basic fundamental skills. I think April exposes that weakness more than other months.

I personally don't enjoy or see the purpose in rehashing moves that have already been made by Theo.  I'm with the majority here--I thought we already had people like CC in the system, a couple of years away.  However, my hope is he contributes and we use him in the optimum way.  It's not like the right fielder for the Phillies, now Washington, is really tearing it up.

I don't think those were the only 2 choices for OF, and as I mentioned before, OF was not our weak link this past winter after we filled the 1B/3B issue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Great come from behind win, in what was a cold and damp and windy ugly played baseball game. Oriole outfield defense was terrible, and Crawford continues to mail it in. Aceves made the difference, and I'd rather see any AAA young profile with options get some innings invested and take a spot start or two until the pen can get Aceves and Atchison some down time. The good news is I don't see management being stupid enough to extend Wakefield, so the Red Sox end is mercifully drawing to a close. Need a rainout or cold wind blowing in with great force. While the focus on Lowrie will be the double that was booted and ruled a triple, few will notice that Lowrie did a belly flop on a routine double play ball that cost 2 runs.   While the focus will be on Varitek's two slap singles, few will notice that he had yet another passed ball that was ruled a passed ball.Boog Powell could steal on Varitek. Buck used all his bullets and still lost. Very important for the Red Sox to get Britton early enough to get back into the pen early. He has a big pretender team, but has done a good job improving their confidence and performance. The Red Sox continue to be terrible up the middle on defense. Varitek better be used sparingly or he'll hit the DL for the last time. Lowrie is a ghost of a SS, playing as if there isn't a SS out there. The team has the offense, but both short and long term, urgently needs to improve itself up the middle. Frankly, the catcher and SS and CF'er are like a AAA team that has been depleted with MLB call-ups. Was quite simple to start Salty in AAA, resign VMart and a weak hitting but very solid mobile defensive catcher who throws well and blocks and catch pitches well. AGon is a true superstar who was acquired at precisely the right time.    Long term, the team needs to get a solid young RH slugging corner OF'er. The defensive SS is already in-house and has to be the obvious 2012 everyday plan, even for someone as SS dense as Theo. Lowrie's splits are getting larger and v. RHP is BA .259 and 6 extra base hits and zero homers. If he was marginal at SS on defense, perhaps the v. LHP stats would provide some factual basis to make him the everday SS. The belly flop on the tailor-made DP is all the reason to return Lowrie to a platoon v. LHP starters UIF role.  Remember, Salty hit a Yankee Stadium homer and Tek had two opposite field hits in one game. That doesn't change how weak this team is up the middle. Strong offense, 3 starters going well, a pen with more than enough to get the job done. Why continue to put a weak middle defense out there, everyday, when the rest of the team is primed and strong? Why, indeed. Francona blunder in the 7th inning, not pinch running for Varitek. Either Cameron or Mac would have easily gone to 3rd on the Bellsbury single to RF and scored, with one out, on the Pedroia line out to LF. Scott has shoulder issues and threw a wounded duck on the Pedroia score from 1st on the AGon game ending double.   Above .500, it's about time.
    Posted by majorleague[/QUOTE]

More indication you either don't watch these games - or you don't comprehend them. Did you not see the look on Tek's face when Aceves crossed him up?
    Even Remy mentioned it.

It's on the pitcher to know signs change with a runner at 2nd.
    Tek even reminded him. Aceves looked like he was on Mars after Tek went out to talk with him after Vlad hit the double.

I look forward to seeing Aceves start. I'm curious as to how he'll handle any adversity. This guy looks like an emotional implosion waiting to happen.

Oh, BTW: Did you happen to NOTICE Tek's opposite field drive in the 9th? You know, the one the wind blew down. Musta slipped UR mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Crit: UR take on Papi is one I've seen others post. He has protection now and can fly under the radar a bit. I also think he's a very, very knowledgeable hitter. After two slow starts, I think he paid special attention to any adjustments he could make that might avert a third one. He's going with the pitch, instead of trying to do too much.
    He's picking up the ball better vs. lefties. So, I gotta believe he may have found something (during the winter) that allowed for this.

KATZ: I found UR take on the progression of winter moves very interesting.
    Why do you think other teams weren't heavily involved trying to sign a 20 HR/.300 hitting VMART? Was the fact he was signed on Nov. 23rd a factor?
    Given his hitting prowess and no indication of regression, I find it hard to believe his age would be a major deterrent to a 3-4 year deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Here's the problem with retaining VMART - being we're limiting this discussion to the short term: Tito would likely have coupled Josh/Dice with him. It's possible Tek would not have been retained. Salty could have been the back-up. We know from previous data that he compromises pitchers. So, the question is, how would Josh/Dice do with VMART? Where would the team be right now if Beckett wasn't dominant? Both pitchers have done very poorly when VMART caught them. I gotta believe Josh would be better than last year, when he was hurt. But I seriously doubt VMART would get the same results Tek has. Fact is, even with Beckett's time in Florida, nowhere did he go 64-27 with anybody else. And I have to question whether VMART could replace Papi's bat as a catcher. As I said, VMART is streaky, which is why I don't put much credence on his current numbers. Papi is liable to hit twice as many dingers as VMART. I don't like the idea of this line-up w/o Papi in it.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I guess the best way to put it is to say we can agree to disagree!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You'd really rather see VMART over Papi?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Think back to when they announced picking up Ortiz's option. Theo went out of his way to say that top management wanted it. He basically was saying he did not make that decision. I don't think he wanted Ortiz back as an option pick up at that rate. It appeared clear that the decision was made for him.

The implications of that could well be that Theo intended to negotiate a new deal with Ortiz if the price was right, and prepared to see Ortiz walk if the price was too high. Theo wasn't thrilled with Ortiz wanting multiple years and he didn't appear thrilled with the 12.5 mil yearly cost either. It was to a degree a Derek Jeter situation. Team management felt like the fan base would demand bringing Ortiz back. When Theo had to pick up Ortiz, it really affected any planning he had for Martinez didn't it.

I'm not saying Victor was the plan but I'm pretty sure Theo didn't want to pick up Ortiz's option. He made it very clear in the press conference that the decision was taken out of his hands.

Maybe the team was looking at the fan base, the possibility of Ortiz going to the Yanks...etc. Nonetheless, it effectively precluded signing Martinez at that point. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boom, I'm happy to see your enthusiasm for Bowden.  I think patience is the word when discussing him.  I still feel he can become a good pitcher for us.  Has he been starting or relieving in the minors?   Now we're going to find out what kind of depth we have in our starting pitching.  I actually have a good feeling about it, as I don't see how we can do worse than the early contributions of Lackey and to some extent Dice-K.   Moon, I'm not trying to rake over old ground, but I'm not sure I've ever heard you comment on the idea that RS ST is too "relaxed."  I know I've heard that one of our former bench coaches used to keep the intensity up.  Do you think there's anything in it as it relates to "slow start?" I personally don't enjoy or see the purpose in rehashing moves that have already been made by Theo.  I'm with the majority here--I thought we already had people like CC in the system, a couple of years away.  However, my hope is he contributes and we use him in the optimum way.  It's not like the right fielder for the Phillies, now Washington, is really tearing it up. I don't think Tek will be here next year, regardless of how well some pitchers respond to him.  I think whether Salty is a starter or back-up next year depends on his progress from now to July.  Just my hunch. 
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Crit...my fellow Mainac! I miss it up there at this time of year. I wish I could talk my wife into just shutting down the high stress life we live and move to our house on a lake in Maine, get a nice sail boat and just kick back a lot more at least in the summers. Instead we have to juggle managing 2 companies and a retail store, get our last son off to college next year and pay horrendous mortgage bills each month. It's a no brainer to me but she is younger, with more energy and she has lived in California most of her life. It's probably never going to happen in my lifetime unfortunately and I want few things as much. I would love going to Sea Dog games and an occasional game in Fenway. I would love so many aspects of it but we have to make choices in life don't we.

Anyway, back to baseball. Very few amateur analysts like us think Bowden is going to have much of a career but he still is only around 24 years old if I remember correctly and he has done well so far this year as a reliever. Good strikeout ratio per innings so far. Great numbers overall. Maybe he can have better stuff in the reliever roll. I think he can be an average mlb reliever still. He can still learn new pitches. He has always been mainly a control pitcher and if he can get into a groove with his control he can go on a roll. There are lots of relievers out there with similar stuff and less control. 

Can he put hitters away though. Does he have an out pitch? His current strikeout per inning numbers indicate than maybe he does now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boom, I missed much of the winter stuff. My recollection was that Theo wanted a two-year deal with Papi at about 8 mil a year. Of course, why would Papi do that if he had leverage on a one-year deal given the time frame.

I suppose Theo couldn't risk losing Papi without netting AGONE. I don't think Theo operates off public opinion.
    My point is, why would signing Papi affect the VMART decision?

AGONE effectively dismissed any thoughts on Beltre.
    It then became a decision as to whether to ink VMART or up-grade in LF to compensate for VMART'S production.

If they were serious about signing VMART, they had all year to work on it. But I do remember VMART saying "nothing was happening". Then they made him a low-ball offer they knew he'd refuse.

In retrospect, they offered DAMON a very marketable contract, and he went off the deep end saying he was disrespected. I give VMART credit for the way it was all handled.

I just don't see the correlation of signing Papi to not signing VMART.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think if Papi did not return, Theo may have upped his offer to VMart, but it wouldn't have changed the fact that Theo did not want the 3/4 years.

I also do not think Theo knew he was going to outbid everyone for CC by the time he had to pick up Papi's option.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Without the benefit of hindsight Crawford was never a smart deal - all we can hope for is that by this time next year he is clicking and at least being all he can be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Right, but there were only a handful of us who thought this way before this season's slow start. I expect soon, almost everyone will be saying they were against it from the start.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I wasn't against it, for the record.  It was a smart acquisition and it was also insurance that we would have a speedster in the OF in the absence of Ellsbury, either through renewed injury failure to recover or trade or whatever.

Theo drafted one of the best available athletes. That works for me. I had some reservations about adding another LH, but they were ameliorated by Crawford's BA and versatility.  And they still are.  Crawford will come around.  When he does that will be a potent lineup that will battle back when the pitching doesn't live up to it's PR. 

moon, on another note, what's your take on Papi?  Today's article by Michael Vega notes that he is really killing LH pitching.  Can the leopard change its spots?  I hope this is long-term, but his history speaks against it. Thoughts?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]KATZ : I found UR take on the progression of winter moves very interesting. Why do you think other teams weren't heavily involved trying to sign a 20 HR/.300 hitting VMART? Was the fact he was signed on Nov. 23rd a factor? Given his hitting prowess and no indication of regression, I find it hard to believe his age would be a major deterrent to a 3-4 year deal.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]There are a few things. He did sign early and that was I think by his wishes. Some guys almost relish the process or at least are comfortable with that side of the business. VMart doesn't seem like one of those guys.

And part of it is he is a 32 year old catcher that would command a larger contract for multiple years. Boras really could not create a bidding atmosphere for Tek in 2004. Very similar profile at that time, switch hitting catcher who was one of the few strong offensive players.

But when you talk about high profile FAs the market often isn't filled with bidders. I took Boras a long time to get a counter offer for the A's offer to for Adrian Beltre.

So I don't really take anything away from the fact that Victor didn't have so many bidders and if anything think how fast he signed was about his desires and that Detroit was serious. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Moon, of course Werth and Crawford weren't the only two choices. But once the RS traded their three best prospects the RS really had little motivation to trade more prospects and frankly did not have a lot left that would motivate partners to trade with them. Crawford and Werth were the two best, two highest profile OF FA and upgrading the OF was not going to come via trade. In fact they were more attractive than the 2011 OF FA class looks too.

Now where VMart and Crawford do connect IMO is once the RS couldn't get to terms with VMart it left a gap in their offense. Their OF was a concern it was the least productive OF in MLB last year. They don't have a Mike Stanton in the minors. It was an obvious place to improve.

And while it isn't the standard operating procedure for the Boston Red Sox to make a splash in the off season a priority, there likely was a lot of pressure to do so after a 2010 where they missed the playoffs, resale of the tickets slowed and NESN ratings tumbled. 

I think they loved Carl Crawford, got lost in the stats and never really plugged in how it would fit in their roster and ignored any nagging questions like the durability of that batting stance etcetra. I have never understood how so many
    baseball observers thought Crawford was a top 3 OFer but they did and the RS were among them I guess.

As I said in my post just like an NFL draft board the hot stove season really is a fluid process where teams set goals, teams evaluate and rate many more options than they ever will act upon and then events dictate the actual moves that can and will be made.

When teams go into an off season with their minds set on a single splash move, whether it was the RS in 08 with Tex or the NYY in 10 with Lee, if unforeseen events happen the team is caught flat footed and usually has a bad off season. I think the Rs came to the table this winter determined not to let the hot stove season be one of in action or "bridge action". And that was because the "bridge" actions of 2010 had adverse impact on business operations.

But it is just my take...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boom , I missed much of the winter stuff. My recollection was that Theo wanted a two-year deal with Papi at about 8 mil a year. Of course, why would Papi do that if he had leverage on a one-year deal given the time frame. I suppose Theo couldn't risk losing Papi without netting AGONE. I don't think Theo operates off public opinion. My point is, why would signing Papi affect the VMART decision? AGONE effectively dismissed any thoughts on Beltre. It then became a decision as to whether to ink VMART or up-grade in LF to compensate for VMART'S production. If they were serious about signing VMART, they had all year to work on it. But I do remember VMART saying "nothing was happening". Then they made him a low-ball offer they knew he'd refuse. In retrospect, they offered DAMON a very marketable contract, and he went off the deep end saying he was disrespected . I give VMART credit for the way it was all handled. I just don't see the correlation of signing Papi to not signing VMART.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

The Ortiz signing affected Martinez because I think we all agree that Martinez is a part time catcher at this point. If Ortiz were not there they could play Martinez at DH. It's really a decent combo if you think about it. Catcher is a demanding position to play. Resting him every few days at DH helps him recuperate.

What I don't see as rocket science here is Victor's viability at catcher. Look at the dearth of other talent available. Victor would have been a great part time catching solution for us.

Victor is quite a bit younger than Ortiz and he has not shown really any offensive decline yet. The bottom line though is that we can always get another DH cheap. The fact that Victor can play catcher viably, even for another 4 years IMO, makes him a more valuable asset to the team. He's younger, in a more important position by far.

I like the numbers Papi is putting up and he seems like he can continue it. The last 2 years I seriously doubted his ability to hit good pitching. I did not see an ability to hit a good fastball even when he put up 30 HR last year. That has changed this year. He hasn't looked this good since 2007 IMO. I'd still be cautious about signing him to a multiple year deal though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We all think Crawford is still a great player right. It's just that that was a ridiculous amount of money. I don't just look at the last year played and plug in WAR values and say here's your money. Crawford's defense has always been over rated IMO. Always. 

I think he should stop trying to pull so much and focus on hitting it up the middle. After next off season think about quieting that stance down a ton. He's got a huge swing. It's surprising it wasn't exposed earlier. He was just such a good athlete he was still able to be hugely successful with it.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Boom,

Keep in mind that at the point the RS would have to have surrendered their control of Ortiz they had NO guarantee that they could sign Victor. Victor did not sign for another 20 plus days with Detroit.

How robust the market could be was pure conjecture at that point. The offers from others could have become true poison pills, much higher than what the Tigers eventually gave Victor. Whether Detroit would have keep out bidding the RS is unknown to the RS. Will others swoop in and appear late? Nobody and I mean nobody saw the Phillies swooping in on Lee or the Nats giving Werth a $120M+ package. You assume the behavior of the market in advance and you end up like the RS did in Tex sweepstakes and NY did in the Lee sweepstakes. 

If the RS were committed to a spending limit on VMart they could not afford to dump Ortiz to clear money. They just weren't willing to go long on the player. And while they make plenty of errors in who they do sign, Theo's record on the valuation of his own guys has been outstanding.

Johnny Damon did not last 4 years as a CF. Pedro Martinez's shoulder did implode in two years. Even guys he signed and reluctantly gave an extra year, that extra year has proven to be weak at best. Mike Lowell and all appearances indicate JD Drew's 5th year looks like it is a dud. Tek's 2008 performance at $10M is just another example of the additional year (Boston valued him initially at 3 years - $9M per) as a valuation called right. Bay's performance to date in NY makes the FO look brilliant.

So unless the RS were of a frame of mind that we aren't leaving the Hot Stove season without VMart, freeing up the money from baseball's most productive DH made no sense. Now on May 18th 2010 this board was on fire about Jason Bay's non-signing. Time will ultimately determine is the RS decision process was right or wrong regarding Victor, but it is possible by May 18th, 2012 VMart will never be mentioned again as the one that got away. 

One year contracts are attractive, no matter how bad they smell the smell ends with a single season. No way the RS were going to walk from Ortiz IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts