A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

...and to think we pay taxes to nab softy...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean he fit in the studio door?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Well, let's see what Crawbury can do today!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No team with an 0-4 start have ever won the world series. 

I remember a team down 0-3 in a 7 game series...
    0-4 in a 162 game season isnot a worrisome record. Of ourse, i'm not happy about it, but our pitchers haven't even mad a complete rotaion yet.

I take such stats with a grain of salt but it certainly means that some concern is warranted. Especially with the mediocre performances of Lackey and Beckett (Beckett had trouble cracking 90 miles an hour against a so-so Cleveland team). 

They've only pitched one game!

On the bright side Salty got a hit. This Dice K start is gonna be interesting.

The bats will come alive. The pitching should too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

God, FOUR games into the season and people are concerned??  Please!!  Let's give it some time.

Jid, if you're around and being an ex-catcher, I have a question for you about Salty.  Harness, I'd like your assessment also.  I noticed that at times, Salty extends his right leg before a pitch(I wish the hell I had that flexibility).  It seems that when he does this, it allows him to set a lower target.  I would think he would set up this way more often.  Any comments?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The odds are that the Sox will win tonight.  I mean, how often can the dealer beat a twenty with six being his upcard?  When they win tonight, and I think they will, the consensus will be it was because Tek was catching.  I don't think this is fair to Salty.

I vote for letting Tuck and Varitek do their thing with him for half the season.  If it doesn't work out by then, then give him a kiss goodbye.

I know you guys think I'm insane....probably with good reason.  When the Colt-45's came knocking on my door about 100 yrs ago, it wasn't because I had the greatest talent, it was because I never said die and worked my butt off.  I think that is what they saw...hard work and a winning attitude. So, I guess I just have a soft spot for the underdog.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

What is up with the velocities? Even Buchholz was setting around 90-91. It's early in the year but shouldn't our guys all be 2-4 mph faster given past experience? Is it the guns? Or the new pitching coach?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I honestly think Softy deletes at least some of his own identities. After all, there is always another!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Yeah, I've seen the numbers.  Harness has overwhelming evidence of that.

I think with Salty it's a mental thing. He has, essentially, the basic tools.  The thought with Theo was probably the hope that Tuck and Varitek could help him overcome this.  His spring training numbers were great.  Yes, I know it was just spring training, which, to me, says that is a mental thing and not because he's physically unable.

I know it's a big gamble, but it sure would be nice if he eventually lived up to his potentail.  I guess the big question is how long do you wait.  And, I remember seeing Pedroia playing in Seattle when he was hovering around the Mendoza line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Compare his targets to that of Tek.
    Both make last second maneuvering, but Tek then keeps his target stationary for as long as possible.

Salty's target is much too brief, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Half a season is too much a price to pay. I wouldn't go anywhere near that long.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's see what Youkzales can do...
    or...
    Pedroikilis

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The early positives (there aren't many) are that Ortiz clearly is not going to be awful out the gate this year unlike 09 and 10. The core of the bullpen aside from Bard's absolute meltdown in the opener and Papelbon's load em up strike out the side appearance on Sunday looks strong. And it looks like Francona has found a role for Wakefield in between spot starts

For first appearances I thought that Buch and Beckett were OK (with run support those guys pitched winnable games), Lester had typical Lester April starts and Lackey.. well he got taken to the woodshed and was beaten like he stole something.

Concerns are how much everyone not named Ortiz looks like they are pressing. Salty in particular is carrying a huge load on his back and it has showed at the plate.

Crawford is the toy that nobody knows quite what to do with and he looks like a man trying to prove his salary is his value. Problem here is that he doesn't like to lead-off and it is not ideal to force a player into an uncomfortable role.

But while his salary screams he is the best hitter on the team, he is not. The 7th spot in the order from Sunday is probably about right. The two spot isn't bad until you consider that because of the two lefties at the top of the order Tito put Pedey in the 3 slot. I find that maddening because at the end of the day no matter what order you put them in the 3-4 hitters are A-Gon and Youk until they produce large sample sets that prove otherwise.

We went through a similar stretch last year to open the season and saw how quickly the RS were able to erase the deficit in May and early June before the injuries multiplied to the point where the RS had a AAA outfield and catching staffing. So we can't get too alarmed by how much a 4 loss streak is magnified when it is the first 4 games of the season.

But if a team ever looked like they could use a couple of idiots in the locker room to lighten things up, the RS have looked like that team in the last two games and with the NYY being the home opening series after Cleveland the guys just getting loose can come none too quickly IMO.

Just my take

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTS. Show BostonTS's posts

No team with an 0-4 start have ever won the world series. 

I take such stats with a grain of salt but it certainly means that some concern is warranted. Especially with the mediocre performances of Lackey and Beckett (Beckett had trouble cracking 90 miles an hour against a so-so Cleveland team). 

On the bright side Salty got a hit. This Dice K start is gonna be interesting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

With the 0-4 start, I think this is where the speed tandem will come into play.
    The hitters are pressing - i.e. not being patient enough - because they feel they have to score more runs than usual to compensate for the erratic pitching.
    Until the pitching restores team confidence, the team will follow their stumbling out of the gate with a slump.

What will keep this from becoming a major slump is their ability to manufacture runs. The pen is shaping up. That's a good start. They can take the pressure off the starters having to go deep - or be too fine - to compensate for the weak hitting.

It's a catch-22, but fortunately, speed doesn't go into slumps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Right now I think Tek has done pretty darn well with him, especially given 50 strikes and 40 balls in the first 90 pitches--horrible control.  The 2 run dinger was on a grooved fastball, which belies the "challenge the hitters with fastballs." 

5 innings, 3 runs, not too shabby.  A point for Matsuzaka and a point for Tek. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Well, good.  Now that we have that point cleared up, I would say that yesterday showed that Saltalamacchia might be OK because Beckett did not have his good fastball and only went 5 innings.  Lester we know starts slow, and Lackey, sad to say, is suspect until proven otherwise. 

Tonight I don't know who to blame.  I do know that Tek called for a large number of fastballs in those first two innings.  On the other hand, maybe Matsuzaka wasn't ready to throw his changeup (he just threw a good one for a strike). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ill start getting concerned come May. I dont like the slow start, but I know theres enough talent on this team and they will turn this around. I still believe in 95+games won this year. I never drank the 100 win kool-aid. Its possible, just not probable IMHO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Wakefield is live on the radio - Dennis Miller Show.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BambinoBabe. Show BambinoBabe's posts

Harness is always right.  Heed his exact words, they are gospel.
    GO YANKEES.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Well, now we are seeing the master at work.  First inning:  25 pitches, 2 runs, 1 dinger, etc.  You'd think Varitek would do better than that. 

If one time Harness would say, "you know, I believe in CERA but have to recognize that on some days some pitchers are great no matter who is catching and some pitchers are lousy no matter who is catching," then I would support his thesis more than I do. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

I just saw Crawford do something I don't think Ellsbury's done--take 3d on a hardhit grounder to 2B, who threw out the runner at first. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's only 4 games.

I really am not at all concerned.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Geez. The"feds" just nabbed Softy again - right before my eyes!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Boom, I never expect the Sox to win. I hope they will win. I do expect 60+ losses each year, and some of them will come at the hands of teams like Cleveland.

I also think Salty is worth a try, but not at the expense of the season. He should have been groomed for at least a year with far less playing time. That way the risk is minimized.

I know the argument is: "How can he develop with less playing time?".
    That's why Boston and NY often use other teams of lesser expenditure to serve as their training ground.

Yeah, it's expensive to go the FA route or acquisition via trades, but it can be far more expensive to  jeopardize a season by putting a player in a key position when he's simply not ready yet.

Sections
Shortcuts