A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : It probably is related to night games generating more TV ad revenue. For the Sox this is a significant amount of cash.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]Bingo Weekday matinees don't draw the same audience, at the gate or on the airwaves. It is why McPhail put up lights in Cinncy back in 30's to start with. Bigger radio audience, bigger gate at the park. 

And it is gamesmanship on their part too. Unless it is their get away day, they aren't all that motivated to get the road team out of town early for their next game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Thanks Katz.  I remember that run now.  First time O-D-and pitching fell into place.  Aceves pitching another gem today and Ells still on accelerator.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Aceves is amazing.  Six innings, one run, against the good hitting Tigers on their turf.  If Lackey can turn things around, that's a pretty good starting five with Wake in reserve.  A win today would be large, very large. 

If Drew comes back, I wouldn't let him hit above #8, but of course I ain't no manager. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Aceves is amazing.  Six innings, one run, against the good hitting Tigers on their turf.  If Lackey can turn things around, that's a pretty good starting five with Wake in reserve.  A win today would be large, very large.  If Drew comes back, I wouldn't let him hit above #8, but of course I ain't no manager. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]I am not sure the RS don't flip that and start Wake and use Aceves as a bullpen addition. Not to feed the beast, Wake really is very much a roster spot being occupied for reserve purposes when he isn't starting.

Murphy's Law of course took hold once such a big deal was made of Wake being on the roster and he was needed as a starter. But if Wake also delivers quality starts, the best deployment of talent would put Aceves in the bullpen where his game is more suited than Wake's to that work.

But if Lackey comes back, even if it is just as the 2010 Lackey this team has a pretty nice situation barring any more injuries. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It's a shame that Aceves was in AAA, while Wastefield was squatting on the active roster. A blessing would be Wastefield on the 365 DL. I'd like to see Miller, Doubrant when he's healthy, or Wally.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Being the narcissistic self absorbed soul I am, I want to personally take credit for Carl Crawford's turnaround.

Until I started posting that I had come to the conclusion that the RS weren't smarter than me and that the contract was a bad one, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Since I started, I think you can all see the results of my negative energy turning into positive results for yourselves. This is my doing, according to me. 

But being a loyal RS fan I won't stop here.

I promise to start OP after OP about Crawford. I will now call him Crawbust. I will exaggerate his every flaw and ignore any accomplishment. And I promise not to stop no matter how well he plays. I'll call for him to be traded to NL or DFA'ed. I'll even make fun of his MLBPA membership and trash his agent.

Any day that does not work I will not let you all down! No sir! I will start a inflammatory thread about another topic and then flip the topic back to Crawbust. No matter how big a tool and a fool it makes me appear, nothing will stop me in my dedication to the RS. I promise to ridicule Crawbust all the way to the WS. 

With so many other members of the roster already so well covered with similar behavior it is my hope that this will ensure yet another trip to the WS.  My commitment is absolute. Should I get banished, I will come back again. And again. And again.

Nothing will deter me in doing my part to get the RS another WS ring! Certainly not logic or good taste.

Go Sox (except for 25% of the roster, the GM and the manager!)

Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You might have something there, fivekatz--reverse mojo.  It can work. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

They just might have to leave Crawford in the #6 spot.  So far he's got a slash line of .889/.889/1.889 there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Very funny stuff Katz! And I know that I'm guilty myself at times of feeding the beast, but there is too much good going on with the team, too much good conversation taking place on this thread, to let one pebble in your sneaker ruin your whole walk. For the most part I glance over what Softy has to say (it's not difficult since it's always the same broken record.) and move on to whatever any of the contributing regulars have to say. And in the process, I thank God that I am not trapped in that same tunnel-vision brain.

I believe that this is the Carl Crawford that Theo though he was getting! And at the risk of being called a Theo Chick or something similar, aren't Aceves, Albers, Sutton & Salty ALL looking like great pickups? We all tend to look at the mistakes that the front office makes while looking over the little treasures that they come up with. If the worst thing they do is overpay for someone, or grab someone who doesn't work out, you can never say they are not  trying to put the best team possible on the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

you people don't know the sox from the celts

About the only realistic comment on this entire thread.

5 gold gloves mean nothing. That's the essence of the IQ on this thread.

5K, you seem to be assuming that DiceK is McAdams done for the season.

Wakefield, unless he starts every 5 days, is on the de facto DL veteran cumalitve win record attemping squat spot. You agree with this point.

That said, Atchison is now in the "middle relief" role. Aceves is better giving the Red Sox decent starts. He is young enough to where he can take the ball every 5 days and provide #5 starter percentage of quality starts.

Unless Wakefield can take the ball every 5 days and provide what Aceves can provide, he needs to be gone.

So, 5K, do you believe that Wakefield can take the ball every 5 days without breaking down or putting up his plus 5 ERA ineffective ERA?

It may appear as though "no harm no foul" by seeing how far Wakefield can go until roster expansion, but I see the great early season W/L costly harm in his squat spot de facto DL role until well into May. The longer they invest more time and innings in Wakefield, the more they will feel compelled to keep him on the active roster no matter how ineffective he may be. 

When Slackey returns from the headcase DL, Aceves should stay in the rotation spot he has earned. Wakefield needs to go and Doubrant or other AAA profile should take an active roster spot.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]It's a shame that Aceves was in AAA, while Wastefield was squatting on the active roster. A blessing would be Wastefield on the 365 DL. I'd like to see Miller, Doubrant when he's healthy, or Wally.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

know what is realy a shame is that you are so stupid or more likely sick in the head!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice one, katz.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

5K, Crisp would like to sell you some insurance when you visit "the street of LA". A policy for witlessness would be a good premium investment for you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That was great, Katz. Pity it didn't dent the demented one.

I too think Aceves should be pen bound. He likely won't care for it much, but the pan needs bolstering. Besides, we really don't know what Aceves will do against better. He had the luxury of a blow-out today. In his first start, he didn't have a clean inning against the Cubs, hitting two batters and almost ending a career.
    Being an unknown to Chicago helped. Just as it helped Wake.

The book is still very much open on this guy. He's gotto show he can handle adversity, and being demoted to the pen is a good testing ground.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

SSR, nee softlaw, you're getting a little harsh.  Fivekatz is easiy one of the best contributors to this site.  I myself would go with Lackey and Aceves as the 4 and 5, assuming Lackey can actually start again and contribute, but I can see the logic of letting Wake start and Aceves work in the bullpen until he's needed again as a starter.  Wakefield, frail though he probably is, works best as a starter, not a reliever. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing Wake/Aceves split a game and rest the pen. One goes 4-5 innings, then the other finishes the game or comes in early if the other gets out of control. (I called it "tandem starters" a couple years ago.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

SSR, nee softlaw, you're getting a little harsh.  Fivekatz is easiy one of the best contributors to this site.  I myself would go with Lackey and Aceves as the 4 and 5, assuming Lackey can actually start again and contribute, but I can see the logic of letting Wake start and Aceves work in the bullpen until he's needed again as a starter.  Wakefield, frail though he probably is, works best as a starter, not a reliever. 
    Posted by maxbialystock
    Not to worry Max.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Current team leaders:

OBP (60 + PAs)

1) Youk .403 (showing why he has always belonged slotted 3/4)
    2) AGon .385 (showing why he has always belonged slotted 3/4)
    3) Papi   .382 (strong start bodes well for a great season)
    4) Ellsbury .364 (on the rise and getting key hits too)
    5) Pedey    .357 (should warm up soon)
    6) Drew      .353 (needs to pick up this area soon)
    7) Lowrie    .343 (sinking fast, but mates picking him up)
    8) Scutty    .316 (needs to get on base more when he returns)
    9) Salty      .296 (Warming up fast)
    10) VTek     .289 (Warminh as well)
    11) Craw    .277 (has brought this way up, but still need .100 to go)
    12) Cam     .217 (hard to find a groove from the bench)

Slg %

1) Agon  .553 (the big three staying large)
    2) Papi   .552
    3) Youk  .519
    4) Ellsb   .449 (Pedey expected in this slot)
    5) Jed     .447 (still a decent number for a SS)
    6) Salty  .420 (rising sharply)
    7) Craw  .368
    8) Drew  .352
    9) Pedey .332 (eye opening)
    10) Scut  .309
    11) Cam  .302
    12) VTek .284

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

"Nee" is poor grammar. Before you start tossing around something you read, you need to understand proper word usage.

Wakefield doesn't work best as a starter or a reliever. And, since the last half of 2009, he has the 5 plus ERA to prove it. 

No one in their right minds would suggest demoting Aceves to then pen, to preserve an active roster spot for an old 45 year old fat guy. 

Of course, a thread moderated by a guy who claims 5 gold gloves mean nothing is not exactly one in his right mind. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

as long as Wakefield and Aceves are throwing near shut out ball I'm keeping them in the rotation! If LAckey has the sore elbow they are discussing he could use even more rest.

You don't fix what ain't broken!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As much as a certain clown has bashed "slackey",I guess he likes him more than Wake.

Even if we don't discount anything for a back injury that required surgery:
    2010-2011:
    Wake:  5.19 ERA/ 1.32 WHIP
    Lackey: 4.95 ERA/ 1.48 WHIP

The clown even wants Miller over Wake.
    (He should career stats like he says he always does to justify that one.)

The clown wants us to count Drew's, and Papi's and Oki's and Dice-K's injuries, but never ever Wake's, Jake's, and Jed's. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Five-K, thanks for getting any of them going with your mojo, but no thanks on your offer.  I like the old Five-K just fine. 

Ahh Moon, your old tandem pitching idea, and I like it just as much as ever.  Last year you wanted to try it with Buch and Wake and then Buch took off.  I think we talked about Wake and Doubie too.  This is the perfect duo, especially if Lackey does come back.  Every so often give these two a start and rest the staff.

This hitting is getting contagious--CC, Salty, Tek heating up as Lowrie settles back; Ells, Youk, A-Gon all got their foot on the accelerator.  Twenty eight runs in two days!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Being the narcissistic self absorbed soul I am, I want to personally take credit for Carl Crawford's turnaround. Until I started posting that I had come to the conclusion that the RS weren't smarter than me and that the contract was a bad one, he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Since I started, I think you can all see the results of my negative energy turning into positive results for yourselves. This is my doing, according to me.  But being a loyal RS fan I won't stop here. I promise to start OP after OP about Crawford. I will now call him Crawbust. I will exaggerate his every flaw and ignore any accomplishment. And I promise not to stop no matter how well he plays. I'll call for him to be traded to NL or DFA'ed. I'll even make fun of his MLBPA membership and trash his agent. Any day that does not work I will not let you all down! No sir! I will start a inflammatory thread about another topic and then flip the topic back to Crawbust. No matter how big a tool and a fool it makes me appear, nothing will stop me in my dedication to the RS. I promise to ridicule Crawbust all the way to the WS.  With so many other members of the roster already so well covered with similar behavior it is my hope that this will ensure yet another trip to the WS.  My commitment is absolute. Should I get banished, I will come back again. And again. And again. Nothing will deter me in doing my part to get the RS another WS ring! Certainly not logic or good taste. Go Sox (except for 25% of the roster, the GM and the manager!)
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to take credit for Crawford, can't help but noticed he lit fire the same day I started posting here. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you believe in tri-incidences?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Do you believe that Derek Jeter should win the Gold Glove this year?