A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

I haven't looked it up but I bet Crawford is putting up much better numbers than Pedroia over the past 30 games and imagine the tandem of Ellsbury and Crawford for hit and runs, double steals...etc. Will they throw any curveballs to Youk, Adrian and Ortiz?

I mean if one of them get on and any of the 3,4,5 hitters hit a double it's probably a run scored. They will absolutely drive opposing pitchers crazy and imagine the pressure that would apply on the opposing team. Having to face:

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Youk
    Adrian
    Ortiz
    Pedroia
    Lowrie
    Drew
    Salty

I like that lineup. 
    It helps win close games and puts maximum pressure on the opposing pitcher staff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have alway wanted Youk up 3rd, as you know, and the only way to get that to happen with Tito is to have 2 lefties up 1-2.

LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To Max: Don't be fooled by Oakland's pitching numbers.
    They take advantage of a spacious park, and the unbalanced schedule. Boston/NY generally see them in their own venue just three times a year.
    Familiarity plays large here.

The RedSox have had problems with pitchers they aren't familiar with. But once they see 'em more than once, it leads to a much better game approach.
    The fact they get to play the A's twice in their home park this year is huge. I fully expected them to hit A's pitching this time around.

The concern is our pitching. And it's been masked by high-scoring victories lately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    I haven't looked it up but I bet Crawford is putting up much better numbers than Pedroia over the past 30 games and imagine the tandem of Ellsbury and Crawford for hit and runs, double steals...etc. Will they throw any curveballs to Youk, Adrian and Ortiz? I mean if one of them get on and any of the 3,4,5 hitters hit a double it's probably a run scored. They will absolutely drive opposing pitchers crazy and imagine the pressure that would apply on the opposing team. Having to face: Ellsbury Crawford Youk Adrian Ortiz Pedroia Lowrie Drew Salty I like that lineup.  It helps win close games and puts maximum pressure on the opposing pitcher staff.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Last 28 days:

Crawford : .292/.313/.479

Pedroia:  .242/.345/.337

When Pedey sux he still gets on more than Crawford does going good. Sees more pitches, bla, bla, bla. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pedey leads the league in pitches seen this year.

I'm fine wth leaving Pedey 2nd, but still want Youk up 3rd.

Pedey hits righties better than lefties anyways, so the whole L-R-L thing should not be a factor. (And, Ells hits LHPs as good as RHPs)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

To Max : Don't be fooled by Oakland's pitching numbers. They take advantage of a spacious park, and the unbalanced schedule. Boston/NY generally see them in their own venue just three times a year. Familiarity plays large here. The RedSox have had problems with pitchers they aren't familiar with. But once they see 'em more than once, it leads to a much better game approach. The fact they get to play the A's twice in their home park this year is huge. I fully expected them to hit A's pitching this time around. The concern is our pitching. And it's been masked by high-scoring victories lately.
    Posted by harness

The spacious ballpark often works the the disadvantage of the pitcher, especially in sparsely attended stadiums such as Oakland's, because the hometown fans have less influence on the homeplate umpire's strikezone. This issue is discussed in the book Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won:

http://scorecasting.com/

I don't get your point about the unbalanced schedule.

Even with Oakland's six straight losses to AL East teams, American League East teams have a meager 36-35 record this season in head-to-head competition against AL West teams. It's only June 5 and my humble Seattle Mariners already have taken a series from each of the five AL East teams this season (despite being swept in Baltimore).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

There is certainly no guarantee that the next slug agreement will include the current FA draft pick compensation.

The Red Sox are deep with young lefty scatback talent. They have almost zilch on RH OF talent. Sell low and buy high is Theo's calling card. He doesn't anticipate and made decisive moves, he reacts, after the fact. He occassionaly gets the obvious right, like the fact that the Padres were going to fire sell AGon this winter.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This from the guy that was dead set against trading JD.

The guy who predicted Jed, Jake and Wake would get hurt and flounder this year, so they should have been dealt or cut.

The guy ho said Beckett was fat, washed up, lost the season for us with Lackey last year, and should have been let go (sell high).

Wanted to keep Pedro (even with his shouler hanging together by a thread).

Praised Theo for rightly dumping Bay (sell high), but now acts like AGon was the only thing Theo got right.

Still wants Miller over Wake, BHall over Jed, and Oki over anyone else.

Wants a "defensive catcher" named Lavarnway. (On the floor laughing) instead of Tek.

Thinks Lowrie is useless, but some team will give us a top catcher or RH'd OF'er for him.

Thinks players do not ever get better after 26-27, unless they are not "good ole boys".

Cling to Mauer ole clown.  It's the last time you were even half right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hill: All that foul ground in Oakland is a pitcher's haven. I doubt the few cat-calls from the stands would even it out.

My point on the unbalanced schedule has to do with familiarity. Once a pitcher is seen and combated, it's not so much a mystery facing him again. Of course, elite pitchers always have an edge.

The A's pitchers won't fare well the 2nd time around in a smaller venue. And as I ve said to you on several occasions, it they faced A.L. East comp. 18 times a year pitching half their games in a place like Fenway Park, their numbers would be drastically different.

OTOH: Their hitting numbers are also affected big time by their home stadium. That's why they usually hit much better at the Fens.

It's a double-edged sword.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Moon, here's the softone at his very best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG75FJkjr8

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, looks like we got a starting pitcher back on track, some relievers back and doing well, and our offense cooking.  Salty/Tek is not the weak link at the moment.  What is our weak link at present?  Right field?  I know Harness has concerns about starting pitching.  I'm interested in watching them make the next run through the order to see what happens.

We don't have a straight platoon for Drew in left field do we?  I know he's coming out against some left handers, but isn't that usually when he has a "strain" or "pull" somewhere, right?  Should he be coming out against all lefties or should we put some young blood out there permanently?  Knowing Tito, I think I got the answer already, but I wonder what you guys think?  This is the dreaded last year of the contract, the year where you usually get the least value. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cam has been playing great defense in RF, but can't get on track with the bat with such sporadic action. I don't think he is cut out for this kind of work schedule.

DMac is not needed if Tito is going to play the 2 guys (JD & CC) who stink vs LHPs almost every time we face one.

The "weak link" is still our 4/5 starters and RF right now.  SS and catcher are also worrisome, more for fielding than their bats. The pen is questionable, but I think we are stuck with what we got.

We've used 20 pitchers in 59 games and will probably see a few more.

It still amazes me how some here wanted to cut Wake loose (3rd best WHIP on team), called Hill a "mess" (gave us 8 scoreless innings) and a mistake signing.

We may need 30 befor we are done this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Drew isn't tradeable, it's call a write off, idiot. He's old and in the last year of his contract, and has more value on the roster.

The guy who predicted Jed, Jake and Wake would get hurt and flounder this year, so they should have been dealt or cut.

This year has just started. No poster has said these players would get hurt and flounder, this year, except for Wakefield. Softlaw said that, if he took the ball every 5 days instead of every 5 weeks, in the rotation, Wastefield would break down. He will, except that Tito knows it and is already looking for ways to push him back. Lowrie's already missed time with "no reason" and "sore neck". It is true that Bellsbury and Lowrie should have traded for RH OF young talent, and Wastefield should be DFA. The poster who said that is correct. His ERA is over 6 since the last half of 2009.

The guy ho said Beckett was fat, washed up, lost the season for us with Lackey last year, and should have been let go (sell high).

No poster said Beckett was washed up. He was fat and out of shape and he and Slackey not doing their jobs was, in fact, the reason the team didn't make the playoffs. Injury wasn't an excuse for these guys. Slackey could only be sold low, the minute the fool signed him. Beckett should not have been extended until the end of 2010, as his value was only going down or staying the same. I suppose making things up is what a depraved mind resorts to.

No poster I've read wanted to "keep Pedro" after his last contract ended, though he would have done a better job than Wastefield, even with the missed time. What I like about Pedro is he's a class act. Wastefield is arrogant and won't learn the language. 

Praised Theo for rightly dumping Bay (sell high), but now acts like AGon was the only thing Theo got right.

Theo has gotten a few things right. I only know a few poster who said he's gotten it all wrong, and Softlaw wasn't one of them. Theo gets most of it wrong, but he has a nuclear bomb budget to keep fixing his many mistakes.

I want Wally over Wastefield, Softlaw wanted Wakefield until 2010, which is also when I wanted the silly record chase to be forked in favor of improving the roster slot. Bill Hall would cost almost zilch and would be a good pick-up as a UIF'er, with Scutaro set to come off the DL and Iggy and Navy depth on the farm. Lowrie should be traded before his overall numbers drop back around his career averages. If he plays everyday through dogdays, assuming he makes it, they will keep falling. The entire baseball world now knows he's a butcher with no range at SS, but he should be sold higher as a 2nd bagger for some pipe dreaming GM.

Oki, since coming off the DL in late 2010, has had almost solid outings every time out. He had a couple of bad ones, but that was it. Oki should have been kept in a lower pen role, but with Wastefield squatting there wasn't a lot of room. Hill was already a horrible delivery break down hometown favorite, and the new guy will be hammered after a few more looks. Oki doesn't want to pitch for the Red Sox anymore, and neither does DiceK. And who could blame two core members of the 2007 division winning and title team. You and the rest have been hammering these fine good guys and talking about how great Wastefield and Varitik are. Very sad. 

Wants a "defensive catcher" named Lavarnway. (On the floor laughing) instead of Tek.

Tek is a human passed ball. BA .226 OBP .301 SLG .345. To use your comments about Oki, Tek has been in a steady free fall for years. It's very sad to see an old favorite wash up, but the numbers are quite clear. Lavarnway can hit and is a smart young talent who can most certainly split time with Salty and provide average defensive catching duty. Salty is improving and Lavarnway can be the backup. Lavarnway has a strong young arm. Tek needs to be shelved. He's like those Jason movies, but even uglier.

thinks Lowrie is useless, but some team will give us a top catcher or RH'd OF'er for him.

I don't think any poster has said Lowrie was "useless". He's a butcher at SS and is weak v. RHP, but, with additional parts, most certainly come bring a solid young RH OF'er.

Thinks players do not ever get better after 26-27, unless they are not "good ole boys".

I think you are having mental problems. I don't think any poser has said that. I must note that you think VMart will decline at age 32, 33 and 34, as a hitter. Wrong on age 32. We'll see on age 33. Crawford has declined at age 29.

Cling to Mauer ole clown.  It's the last time you were even half right

I don't have to cling to anything, and Softlaw was 100% right on Mauer. You were 100% clueless, as usual.

I'm going to enjoy your clinging to Wastefield. There getting him ready to shut down the Yankees;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drew isn't tradeable, it's call a write off, idiot. He's old and in the last year of his contract, and has more value on the roster.

I guess they never taught you the difference between the word "was" and "is". I wasn't talking about this year, bozo.

This year has just started. No poster has said these players would get hurt and flounder, this year, except for Wakefield. Softlaw said that, if he took the ball every 5 days instead of every 5 weeks, in the rotation, Wastefield would break down. He will, except that Tito knows it and is already looking for ways to push him back. Lowrie's already missed time with "no reason" and "sore neck". It is true that Bellsbury and Lowrie should have traded for RH OF young talent, and Wastefield should be DFA. The poster who said that is correct. His ERA is over 6 since the last half of 2009.

6? It is barely over 5 and dropping fast.

No poster said Beckett was washed up.

Oh, that's right, you weren't here when softy posted it. Sorry.

He was fat and out of shape and he and Slackey not doing their jobs was, in fact, the reason the team didn't make the playoffs. Injury wasn't an excuse for these guys. Slackey could only be sold low, the minute the fool signed him. Beckett should not have been extended until the end of 2010, as his value was only going down or staying the same. I suppose making things up is what a depraved mind resorts to.

You should know all about that. I agree with you for once.

No poster I've read wanted to "keep Pedro" after his last contract ended,

So, you mean Theo "sold high"?

though he would have done a better job than Wastefield, even with the missed time. What I like about Pedro is he's a class act. Wastefield is arrogant and won't learn the language. 

Theo has gotten a few things right. I only know a few poster who said he's gotten it all wrong, and Softlaw wasn't one of them. Theo gets most of it wrong, but he has a nuclear bomb budget to keep fixing his many mistakes.

I want Wally over Wastefield, Softlaw wanted Wakefield until 2010,

1) How do you know, you weren't even here.
    2) softy wanted him gone after 2007...after 2008...after 2009 and after 2010.

which is also when I wanted the silly record chase to be forked in favor of improving the roster slot. Bill Hall would cost almost zilch and would be a good pick-up as a UIF'er, with Scutaro set to come off the DL and Iggy and Navy depth on the farm. Lowrie should be traded before his overall numbers drop back around his career averages. If he plays everyday through dogdays, assuming he makes it, they will keep falling. The entire baseball world now knows he's a butcher with no range at SS, but he should be sold higher as a 2nd bagger for some pipe dreaming GM.

Name the GM and the solid RH'd OF'er and we'll discuss it.

Oki, since coming off the DL in late 2010, has had almost solid outings every time out. He had a couple of bad ones, but that was it.

Ok, let's look at your new cherry-picked time frame: End of August 2010 to 2011:

Oki:
    16 appearances in 2010.
    7 games were under an IP, so it makes it much easier to not let up an ER. 
    14 games with no ERs and 2 with 1 ER.
    I guess you might call .2 IPwith a H and a BB good, or .1 IP and 1 H, or 1 IP and a H and a BB, or 1 IP and 2H, or 1.1 IP and a H and a BB, because none of his runners scored those times.
    13.2 IP  2 ER  10 Hits  5 BBs  (1.10 WHIP)

7 appearances in 2011"
    5 with no ERs.
    3 with less than one IP.
    2 games with no ERs, he walked 2 batters, but none of his runners scored.
    8.1 IP   4 ER  7 H  5 BB

Total:
    23 appearances (4 games with an ER allowed/7 no runners scored, but not great appearances.)

22 IP  6 ER  17 H  10 BB (2.46 ERA) 1.23 WHIP
    (your agreed best measurement for relievers)

Here's Wakes relief game logs in the same time frame:
    (IP  H  ER BB)
    2.0  1  0  0
    2.0  3  0  0
    2.0  2  0  0
    2.1  3  0  0
    1.0  2  1  0

2010 total from late August:
    9.1  11H  1ER  0BB (0.96 ERA) 1.18 WHIP

2011:
    9 relief appearances (2 under an inning)
    4 with an ER or more let up.
    1 with 0 ER but 3 Hits in 1.1 IP
    2011 Total:
    13.1 IP  7 ER  12 H  3 BB

End of August to today in releif:
    22.2 IP  8 ER  23H  3 BB (3.18 ERA) 1.15 WHIP

I see Wake with a lower WHIP, but Oki was better? OK, I get it.
    ..more goalpost moving ahead.

Oki should have been kept in a lower pen role, but with Wastefield squatting there wasn't a lot of room.

Newsflash: Wake was never the 12th man on the staff. If Oki stayed, someone else was worse than Wake, (had more options in some cases), and deserved to go.

Hill was already a horrible delivery break down hometown favorite, and the new guy will be hammered after a few more looks. Oki doesn't want to pitch for the Red Sox anymore, and neither does DiceK. And who could blame two core members of the 2007 division winning and title team. You and the rest have been hammering these fine good guys and talking about how great Wastefield and Varitik are. Very sad. 

Sad how you lie and distort. I wanted Oki signed and returned this winter. I dared say he was not as good as in 2007 and 2008, and for that you labelled me a racist. I did not want him released recently. Despite what you have deludded yourself into believeing, I wanted Dice as out FT starter last year after a longer rehab in May. You have distorted my position on Dice-K so many times, I think you actually believe it now.

Tek is a human passed ball. BA .226 OBP .301 SLG .345. To use your comments about Oki, Tek has been in a steady free fall for years. It's very sad to see an old favorite wash up, but the numbers are quite clear. Lavarnway can hit and is a smart young talent who can most certainly split time with Salty and provide average defensive catching duty. Salty is improving and Lavarnway can be the backup. Lavarnway has a strong young arm. Tek needs to be shelved. He's like those Jason movies, but even uglier.

Lavarnway has a barely average arm, moves slowly behind the plate, and has no ML experience calling pitches and calming down the staff when needed. He is not a good defensive catcher. Stick t the issue. You said you wanted a catcher who could play D, then named a below average fielding catcher you wanted.

thinks Lowrie is useless, but some team will give us a top catcher or RH'd OF'er for him.

I don't think any poster has said Lowrie was "useless". He's a butcher at SS and is weak v. RHP, but, with additional parts, most certainly come bring a solid young RH OF'er.

You keep saying this, but where are these offers. Give us a name like you foolishly did last year, when you said we could get a top catching prospect for him.

I think you are having mental problems. I don't think any poser has said that. I must note that you think VMart will decline at age 32, 33 and 34, as a hitter. Wrong on age 32. We'll see on age 33. Crawford has declined at age 29. 

Based on 59 games? You said Ellsbury would not improve at all. He is 27 and having a career year.

Cling to Mauer ole clown.  It's the last time you were even half right

I don't have to cling to anything, and Softlaw was 100% right on Mauer. You were 100% clueless, as usual.

I'm going to enjoy your clinging to Wastefield. There getting him ready to shut down the Yankees;)

I don't even like Wakefield; I have just been forced to defend him from your absurd attacks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The only thing "falling fast" is Wastefield's pot belly and your mindless drivel.

Since when is June 3rd a "career year". Idiot!

Bellsbury is having a career year against LHP, alright, I agree with you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Having" a career year means "in the process of" not has completed a career year.

Now, I see why you have such great disdain for "college boys".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

"Having" a career year means "in the process of" not has completed a career year. Now, I see why you have such great disdain for "college boys".
    Posted by moonslav59

By this point I would give up on believing he has any form of reading comprehension.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

There is no doubt that Oakland's facility impacts the run production in that house. While far from the deepest of stats, it was the only stadium where Wade Boggs did not hit over .300.

The foul ground is huge but there are other factors. The California stadiums in general play very big at night. It is because of atmospheric conditions, the marine layer causes the ball not to carry at night. A look at Dodger Stadium will show that the dimensions do not make it a pitcher's park but the stadium holds fly balls in play at night. Day games in the hot weather the ball jumps.

The flip side of course is Fenway, with no foul ground, cheap HRs right down the lines and dimensions that make it a doubles haven.

We didn't see the best A's pitchers this go around and that is probably good after catching the White Sox on a bounce and having their guys pitch quite well.

On the trip to the house that the taxpayers built, I'd love to see another sweep but 1 out of 3 is OK.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

After all that, Wakefield will start against Yankees anyway...nice to have an insurance policy, that's the way the Sox look at it. I'm glad Tim will not be skipped.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Well, looks like we got a starting pitcher back on track, some relievers back and doing well, and our offense cooking.  Salty/Tek is not the weak link at the moment.  What is our weak link at present?  Right field?  I know Harness has concerns about starting pitching.  I'm interested in watching them make the next run through the order to see what happens. We don't have a straight platoon for Drew in left field do we?  I know he's coming out against some left handers, but isn't that usually when he has a "strain" or "pull" somewhere, right?  Should he be coming out against all lefties or should we put some young blood out there permanently?  Knowing Tito, I think I got the answer already, but I wonder what you guys think?  This is the dreaded last year of the contract, the year where you usually get the least value. 
    Posted by Critter23
    The problem with a straight platoon of Drew is right now that is Mike Cameron. You don't get much of a drop off in defense but Mike hasn't had his splits versus LH pitching hold up in the smaller sample sets in this platoon format so far. Just the same it has pretty much been a straight platoon as was evident with Drew sitting again yesterday against a LH starter. 

But there isn't exactly a lot of young blood out there because the young blood is LH in the form of Josh Reddick. The idea of DFA'ing Drew is not very palatable to the FO I am pretty sure. Right or wrong IMO the conventional wisdom is that Drew will go on one of his 3-4 week hot streaks and the idea of paying him to do that for another team isn't appealing.

Darnell has had some very nice PAs in Pawtucket and while he is a defensive drop off versus Drew or Cam he may get another shot at the RH platoon role. This also allows for Reddick to get PAs every day and that helps his development and the RS FO to decide if he can handle the starting job in 2012.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Pawtucket is playing on mlb network right now. Scutaro, McDonald are both playing as well and Millwood is pitching. 12:44PM Boston time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

RF is obviously a problem.  I wanted to keep Reddick, but realize it was impractical if Drew was/is healthy.  I think Francona will continue to platoon Drew and a righty, Cameron and/or McDonald. 

Funny thing is, Ortiz is hitting lefties pretty good right now because he is hitting them to left field.  I am convinced he is doing that in part because Gonzalez does it so very well.  Drew, on the other hand, wants to pull every pitch, including outside pitches.  He's the same age as Ortiz and ought to be able to adjust. 

In that 14 inning win on Saturday, the Sox outfield finished with 10 of the 18 hits the Sox had, including very key hits in extra innings by Ellsbury (to tie the game in the bottom of the 11th) and by Crawford (double in the 14th) and Drew (gamewinning single in the 14th). 

I think the outfield is going to stay put for the rest of the year--barring an injury of course--and that the Sox will figure out the rightfielder in the offseason.  I see CC and Jake starting next year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Nava got pulled from the game today on a last minute basis. Maybe something is up.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The Red Sox need another punch and judy fleet footed left handed hitter with poor splits v. LHP. Theo hasn't stock piled enough of those guys.

Sections
Shortcuts