A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Tito is grouping Tek with Josh/Dice/Aceves.
    Salty with Lester/Buch/Wake. Neither are catching both pitchers with any regularity.

Only relievers, but their sample sizes are small.

This year's CERA match-ups are not balanced thanks to the caddy approach by Tito. We might not ever have enough data to make a call this year.

Injuries and loss of velocity is also a big factor. Nobody on this site has ever said CERA is the ONLY way to judge pitcher/catcher relationships.

arts catching a different pitcher (due to injury of the other), it will be at a different point in the season and any swing may not be as much catcher related as we might think. For instance, Lester usually pitches better in the second half. If VTek suddenly starts catching Lester, and Lester gets better, it might not be because of the catcher switch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]It appears that the FFAFKAS (Flim Flam Artist Formerly Known as Softlaw) has been deleted again.  You could see it coming with the barrage of posts yesterday.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Guys, the player softy cited as his friend yesterday was almost certainly Dillon Maples, a top 50 Keith Law / Baseball america level prospect from North Carolina who is such a genius that he just priced himself out of the market. I think he was the only top 100 prospect left after the 10th round! I don't know what the guy told the scouts but absolutely no one is biting! 

Maybe he just wants to go to college but it seemed funny that Softy's friend would either price himself so high that he doesn't get drafted OR he is such a jerk that no one wants anything to do with him! You've got to admit that t's quite a coincidence. Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

It's routine for many college material prospects to demand a lot of money to start minor league ball before going to college. Maples' father knows the system, as he signed out of high school and it didn't work out many years later. It's a business, professional baseball, from top to bottom. Many players do exactly what Maples has been advised to do. Theo has tried and failed on a few sucker attempts to contract a young player out of high school. Tex went through it, Hamilton, etc., all with different circumstances as the business plays itself out. Maples is already enrolled in summer school and set to go to one of the best college baseball programs in the country. Most baseball talent is in rural souteastern and southern regions of the country. Which is kind of ironic considering how many bigoted provincial New Englanders who make the biggest part of the Red Sox fanbase.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He can no longer be a friend of softy, if he goes to college.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

very funny, moon...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Going to college = "good ole boy"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He blew a $2 million dollar contract in all likelihood. Unless he's superman he would have been well advised to take the money. He wouldn't have dropped  to the 14th round unless he had ridiculous demands, or just wanted to go to college period. If a guy gets offered that kind of money, I'd never go to college, especially as a HS pitcher with questionable mechanics. He still has some time to change his mind but it's not looking good right now. Will the Cubbies come up with that kind of money for a 14th round pick?

He may go to college and end up with nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...but he'll have a grand 4 years of Marxist indoctrination to show for it.

(All as a free handout at the taxpayers expense.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Moon, using Marxist terminology invites political upheaval to this thread. He and his "bootlicker" are "mister-baiter and master-baiter".

Getting back to baseball, I think you can throw out better first half/2nd half pitchers this year. Injuries and loss of velocity are the over-riding factors. Jenks is now down again. It's becoming a domino game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Boom, I just read a little about each of our second day draftees.  Wow, did we draft a boatload of  pitchers, and a lot of lefties.  I guess this draft is deep in pitching.  Maybe someone would teach me how to be a scout when I retire and I could drive all over Ca. looking at ballgames--lots of these guys are from here or nearby.  Seems like we went for pitchers, outfielders, corner infielders, (2) catchers...Glad we grabbed this first win tonight, get off to a strong start, hopefully get another.  Is Papi the story of the year so far or what?  I think he and Beckett have been big positives for us.  Sounds like Lowrie's hurt so this is a perfect time for Scut to come back.  I was in and out watching the game tonight but it was a little hard to watch CC hit at times.  It looked to me like he had some good pitches to hit, but kept fouling them off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Boom, in regards to what Maples "would have got", you don't know what you are talking about. Let's leave it at that, shall we.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]It's routine for many college material prospects to demand a lot of money to start minor league ball before going to college. Maples' father knows the system, as he signed out of high school and it didn't work out many years later. It's a business, professional baseball, from top to bottom. Many players do exactly what Maples has been advised to do. Theo has tried and failed on a few sucker attempts to contract a young player out of high school. Tex went through it, Hamilton, etc., all with different circumstances as the business plays itself out. Maples is already enrolled in summer school and set to go to one of the best college baseball programs in the country. Most baseball talent is in rural souteastern and southern regions of the country. Which is kind of ironic considering how many bigoted provincial New Englanders who make the biggest part of the Red Sox fanbase.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]
    I would understand is Maples was going to be sticking with baseball or playing a skills position in football, but he is going to college to be a kicker. Really? If he turns down a reasonable offer to go be a placekicker, he will make the stupidest decision of his life. Never let Softlaw advise you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Maples is his caddy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No, Maples is your Daddy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Getting back to baseball, I think you can throw out better first half/2nd half pitchers this year. Injuries and loss of velocity are the over-riding factors. Jenks is now down again. It's becoming a domino game.

Could be true, but my guess is Lester is going to improve in warm weather, as usual.

Also, if a pitcher regains his velocity, and then switches his "caddy catcher for some reason, that should be factored in when looking at CERA changes (good or bad) for our catchers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Boom, in regards to what Maples "would have got", you don't know what you are talking about. Let's leave it at that, shall we.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that as a top 50 BA guy, he probably didn't want to be a 14th round pick. Let's just leave it at that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I just read a little about each of our second day draftees.  Wow, did we draft a boatload of  pitchers, and a lot of lefties.  I guess this draft is deep in pitching. 

Sounds like Theo has the emphasis in the right place.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The overslot guys were not as available this year as in the past but the first 7 picks were decent. All of them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I just hope Wake is "on" tonight and we crush them.  I think we have our foot on their necks and I want to push a little.  If we had your "Tandem Pitchers" going Moon, Aceves would have the end of the game, and there would be a nice symmetry there against his old team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I'm pretty sure that as a top 50 BA guy, he probably didn't want to be a 14th round pick. Let's just leave it at that.

I'm pretty sure you don't have a clue about the business of baseball, let's just leave it at that. There will be other drafts, for the dim bulbs out there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The overslot guys were not as available this year as in the past but the first 7 picks were decent. All of them.

We still ended up with several players rated to go much higher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, life imitates art.  Your Tandem is alive and well and leading in the 7th inning!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wake looked better than his numbers. I think the "tumble" at 1B effected Wake a little. 

I was worried about Aceves back in his former park. He let up the inherited runs, but the doubleplay was huge.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

My worry is about Tim Wastefield. Aceves is in his 20's not his 50's. K's A-Roid with a nasty pitch. Either put Aceves back in the rotation or call up one of the young talents on the farm. Anyone who hasn't seen enough of Wastefield, a week off to rest up for this start, isn't in their right minds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, we haven't seen enough of our ...

3rd best WHIP guy this year.