A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

With Pedroia and Navarro both on the DL, it is a big market luxury to have kept Scutaro (and maybe Cameron later).  The Pedroia injury is more proof that trading a "surplus" is often a mistake.  I doubt Scutaro, Lowrie, or Cameron could have garnered the upgrade to the perceived needs earlier this season of a  RH -OF or a catcher.

Right now I highly doubt an upgrade of Salty is possible without top top prospects leaving.  Watch this space maybe in 2 months that will have changed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, tom.

Anyone heard the news on Jed's injury?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

tom, while Dusty might end up on the DL, you need to read Tito's comments before stating it as a fait accompli. Bottom line, rest or minor surgery, he needs to take weeks off to rest, as needed. He isn't going to need to take the entire season off.

On the injury front, the great Jed Lowrie got his requested MRI and the results showed nothing. He said his shoulder is still aching, so Tito will have to bring in an anxiety therapist to get Lowrie to go back on the field.

Has Agon missed a game? An inning?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]With Pedroia and Navarro both on the DL, it is a big market luxury to have kept Scutaro (and maybe Cameron later).  The Pedroia injury is more proof that trading a "surplus" is often a mistake.  I doubt Scutaro, Lowrie, or Cameron could have garnered the upgrade to the perceived needs earlier this season of a  RH -OF or a catcher. Right now I highly doubt an upgrade of Salty is possible without top top prospects leaving.  Watch this space maybe in 2 months that will have changed.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]Agree on the cost of a catcher. Not only is the supply weak, the number of teams not taking on water high (heck the Pirates are at .500) but the number of teams shopping will only increase and right now the Giants are in the market.

I read a post somewhere on our cheery board complaining the RS had no depth. Made me smile. Cameron and Scutaro are depth that few teams can afford. The bullpen with the exception of LH is deep too. And for all the whining about Wakefield, keeping both Wake and Aceves paid dividends far sooner than anyone hoped it would.

i also agree that Scut and particularly Cam were not bringing much in trade even if the RS picked up a portion of the salary. Cam is after all a 38 year old that missed most of the prior season. But as bench strength goes his glove only is big plus to have on the bench. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dr. Softsquish rides again.

Negative MRI reports do NOt prove an injury does not exist.

You must be happy now that Jed is hurt.

Congrats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Moonserb,

It was you who boasted, just a few days ago, about how Lowrie had proven a poster wrong about his fragile health. Oh well, I see why emotional anger drives your retort. It's hard to be wrong.

Negative MRI's from Scott Boras show an injury that requries months off to make sure a contract seeking client is 100% when compiling stat lines.

Negative MRI's are the medical method to rule out serious injury. Jed doesn't have a serous shoulder injury, but he could use some cure anxeity downloads for $99 from my website, free for 7 days, less cost of shipping and handling ($110 for that) if they are returned within 7 days.

Now that a core player needs to be careful to make sure he gets healthy, a few weeks off is fine, Lowrie is needed to stop whining and suck it up and go play 2nd base and stand in there on the relays like Dusty does. Don't bail out Jed, just because you are worried about your FA contract and the funds for a new chalet in Oregon with your significant "other".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Pedey update:

NEW YORK — Dustin Pedroia had a bruised kneecap and is expected to play tomorrow according to Sean McAdam of Comcast Sports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

These projections of Jed an Pedey's injuries are beyond what anyone in this thread can say for sure. Just today on the Franseca show a bunch of people where saying how Pedey's going to be out for the year, look at how the look now for making assumptions. I'll wait patiently for official disclosures.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The latest update in the future HOF club that got away:

Eric Patterson designated for assignment by the San Diego Padres.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

"With Pedroia and Navarro

both on the DL"  -

the prescient

Tom-UK!

Tom, would you please self-

impose a one week

suspension

for dishonest statements

or are

you going to follow the values

of

a Weiner?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wake's season:

Yes, the passed balls and wild pitches cause more runs to be scored than one might expect with a low WHIP, and I suppose you could blame Wake for the passed balls. However, I find that hard to do when you consider that he is pitching such a wicked pitch to hit that it is also so good, it is hard to be caught. Whould we blame a pitcher that could throw 130 mph fastball with movement on it and catchers had trouble cathing it?

Yes, many of his early innings were in a "mop up" role, but those innings were still important to a team with pen injuries and other issues. Wake earned his way to a more meaningful role just lake many other pitchers who have lost some of the confidence or their manager.

Yes, Wake's ERA is high this season and since mid 2009. However, this is not the only measurement of value. Wake is 4th on the team in IP (48.1), 2nd in winning % (75%), 3rd in WHIP (1.221), and the lowest BB/9 of any starters on  our team this year (2.6 to 3.3 by Buch and Beck).

Wake has gone from reliever to starter and back again 6 times already this season.

Here'a closer look at Wake's 6 starts this year:
    Overall: 3-1  4.89 ERA /1.257WHIP (Sox 4-2 in his starts)
    However, a closer look at how Wake's runs were let up shows his ERA and record could be much better...

IP   H  ER  BB
    1) 5/1 vs Sea    5.2  3   1   1
    2) 5/6 vs MN     4.1  9   6   4 (2 days after a relief game)
    3) 5/22 v Cubs  6.2  4   4   4 (11 days off after a relief game)
    4) 5/27 @ Det   7.0   5   2   2
    5) 6/1 vs CWS  6.0   7   4   1
    6) 6/8 @ NYY    5.1   5   5   3 (Short notice on 7 days rest)

Game 1: Wake had a shutout going into the 6th with 2 outs. He lets up a line drive single, but Tito takes him out. Jenks procedds to let his run score and 1 more and the game is tied: Wake gets a no decision. Sox win in the 9th.

Game 2: No excuses. Wake got crushed, but Tito left him in for 9 hits and 4 Bbs in just 4.1 IP. He had Aceves in the pen, and he could have used him earlier. Here's how the runs scored: HR (solo). BB />Inf single> Line drive single> 2 outs > Ground ball single > Balk (2 runs not exactly well earned by the Twins).  Solo HR. 5th inning: BB> Ground ball single> Out> single to short LF> Deep Dbl> Wake replaced. Aceves lets Wakes run in.

Game 3: 6 shut out innings then a ground ball 2B and a deep dble (1 run scored) Bard keeps Wake's run from scoring. We win.

Game 4: 1st inning, Ground ball single />SB>2 flyouts>groundball single (Kind of a cheap run). Solo HR in 2nd. Wake shuts the Tigers down until releived in the 8th. Sox win.

Game 5: Sox up 3-0 into the 4th, then the CWS deep single /> passed Ball> Fly Out>  HBP> K > Bloop Dbl down LF line (maybe a cheap run). 5th inning: BB> Bloop single > GO > SB> Ground out (run scores) Groundball Dbl (tied score- kind of a cheap run). 6th inning: Solo HR. Papi ties it, but Albers later gets the loss.

Game 6: (Short notice start) 3 shut out innings then a Solo HR in the 4th by ARod. Wake trips over runner to end the 4th. The Yankee 5th: BB /> PB > single (run) > Dbl over Jacoby's head (Bad angle taken by Ellsbury, but not sure if he could have caught it anyways) > Ground out> Sac Fly to shallow LF (Weak armed CC makes a weak/bad throw) Cheap run(s)? Maybe.  Yankee 6th inning: HBP> Flyout> BB and Wake gets yanked (rightfully so IMO) Aceves did a great job in relief to help Wake get the win, but he did allow 2 singles to let Wake's runner score.

Judge for yourself, but I think many of Wake's "earned" runs allowed
    as a starter this year, have been on the "cheap side". He could easily be 4-1
    and with some or a lot of luck have let up 5-9 runs less. Had this happened, Wake's ERA could have been this as a starter:
    2.57 to 3.34

Yes, I know you could do this with every starts ERA, but I do feel like Wake has had more bad breaks and "inherited runs" allowed than other starters on our team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wakefield for Kerry Wood, plus a lot of potato salad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Almost 200 posts in 2 days Soft, congrats, though soon to be erased again when BDC shakes your Etch-a-Sketch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Almost 200 posts in 2 days Soft, congrats, though soon to be erased again when BDC shakes your Etch-a-Sketch.

He lives off government hand-outs. That's why he has so much time on his hands.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moonserb,

It was you who boasted, just a few days ago, about how Lowrie had proven a poster wrong about his fragile health. Oh well, I see why emotional anger drives your retort. It's hard to be wrong.

No, it's very easy for you to be wrong. I never said anything even remotely like that about Jed.

Negative MRI's from Scott Boras show an injury that requries months off to make sure a contract seeking client is 100% when compiling stat lines.

You have lost it...totally.

Negative MRI's are the medical method to rule out serious injury. Jed doesn't have a serous shoulder injury, but he could use some cure anxeity downloads for $99 from my website, free for 7 days, less cost of shipping and handling ($110 for that) if they are returned within 7 days.

Now that a core player needs to be careful to make sure he gets healthy, a few weeks off is fine, Lowrie is needed to stop whining and suck it up and go play 2nd base and stand in there on the relays like Dusty does. Don't bail out Jed, just because you are worried about your FA contract and the funds for a new chalet in Oregon with your significant "other".

Proof in the pudding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]After all, North Carolina has such a great history of developing pitching talent. We are still waiting for Andrew Miller to make it in the majors and Daniel Bard started out with around a 7.00 era in the low minors. North Carolina took that raw material and did little to nothing with them.   WHERE did I insult a region? In addition to insulting intelligence, in your last post, you insulted one of the best baseball program and talent developers in baseball. You multi-million dollar business is bubble puffery, as the business world and multi-million dollar businesses are frequently in bankruptcy due to debt service. Not that the business of baseball has anything to do with it. You don't have a clueabout draftee value or what was offered or anything else. You pegged your own idiocy with zero knowledge of the facts or the business workings. "Draft dodging"  is part of the business, with another draft next year, etc. You don't understand that, anymore than you understood that the Twins could afford Mauer or that Tex and countless others "draft dodge". The Red Sox know very well the leverage of those who rebuff there low ball advances by using the current draft system. It's part of the business.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Look at the tone of this post. Classic Softone. He can't have a normal discussion with Boom regarding player drafting without denouncing him.
    He points fingers and calls others "bullies" - when that's all he ever does here.

He claims to have social graces but posts out of a gutter.
    What a piece of work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II : Look at the tone of this post. Classic Softone. He can't have a normal discussion with Boom regarding player drafting without denouncing him. He points fingers and calls others "bullies" - when that's all he ever does here. He claims to have social graces but posts out of a gutter. What a piece of work.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True, but it's only liable to get worse. Get ready for that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stop talking about not living by "modern values & morals."  How about just living by any values & morals? 

And...
    Bare faced lies.
    Personal attackings.
    Blatant bigotry and racism.
    Misrepresentations & misinformation.
    Hateful bashing of players based on age.
    Hateful bashing of our college educated players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

My concern is that he's become Burrito's role model.
    Very bad influence on one so susceptible.

BTW: Nice pyramid, Moon!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sometimes I wonder why Burrito is in love with softy
    He must know he acts like an absurd clown
    He must know he's been wrong
    Everything all year long
    With more to come
    under new
    names

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They both post with a jealous bone.
                         They both post in denial.
                             They are both quick
                               To bait the hook
                                  It's just their
                                    Infantile
                                      Style.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This game is one hit batter away from setting a season-long tone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Style
    Or Bile?
    Seek to rile
    Take away smiles
    Bashing players for miles
    No records are left on the files

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That last line is telling.

So is Josh tonight, hanging in there in what appeared to be a CC gem.
    Last time Boston faced NY, the Yanks went into a funk afterwards.
    The same thing could happen again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who would have thought with Dice & Lackey out or struggling, Jenks and Wheeler not helping, Pedey and CC struggling, and more, we'd be going this strong right now?

Detroit and TB are breathing down the Yank's necks.