A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Katz: I gotta believe the decision to go to a 6-man rotation, or not to, is one of the entire management. Tito's feedback probably carries more weight than anybody's.

I do find it funny that Tito stated how Miller was a huge part of the organization...despite the fact he's yet to throw a pitch in a RedSox uniform.

And the only reason they will temporarily go with a 6-man staffis because Miller has leverage, but not 100 million dollars worth of leverage - enough to cause another Wake demotion. 
    By rights, Miller should be working his way into a start via long-relief outings, to get his feet wet.

The hypocrisy continues.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

I wouldn't worry about too many starters (like Joe Torre and his collection of short stops in his last AL all star coaching role).  Expect lackey to fold, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

As you mention, harness, old friend, the real issue is a spot on the roster. Who get's bumped to make room for the interloper?  If it's Wakes, a lot of people will be unhappy.

Including this one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What happened to the cat's specs?

I'd say Hottevy (sp) is odd man out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

An A.L pitcher with a 1.86 era? Wow!  Last I recall Pedro or Clemens would be capable of that... There will be no mediocrity from Josh this year - he is OUTSTANDING!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

To whomever said "TRADE FOR KAZMIR" earlier in the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6665950

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

harness - I wasn't digressing; that's when the cat brings out the specs! LOL.

Is there a twelve-step program for people addicted to I Can Has Cheeseburger?

UR right. I forgot about Hottovy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]Example of being born into opportunity: Southern plantation owner en slaves human beings. Becomes wealthy and powerful in his circles. Out of this comes desire for political power, and the resulting corruption. Then the kids are born into this circle of influence, shielded from the degrading origins. They don't know the meaning of having to grind it out on their own. Everything is given to them. And it can easily affect morals and create deep-seated resentment. Earth to an idiot, southern plantation owners weren't the only people to enslave human being and traffic and profit from what is still a world practice. Your a very sick man who reflects the propaganda of a very disturbed generation of bad people. In reality, those who owned land already had wealth and were high up on politics. As for wealthy people from generations ago, they certainly know more about "grinding it out" more than you do. You represent the largess and dead beats class of people that used to have ancestors who were workers and producers out of the necessity to try and earn a living. As for the argument of fairness, that isn't the issue. The issue is the virtue of a days work without resentment. Social "justice" as redistribution was sold to you to tap into your deep seated disturbance and emotional jealousy of people you have only read about through the prism of some loser government deadbeat professor or one of your bitter ancestors. Example of being born with opportunity: A gifted child. May come from lower or middle-class family. Works his way through school and earns scholarships. America is about creating a landscape for such opportunity. America used to be about opportunity without any guarantee of success. It's now entitlement and rewarding irresponsiblity and those who are depended upon it and who will defend it by voting for something for nothing. But only a minority of Americans are born into wealth and opportunity. A majority of American minorities are born into entitlements, with a deap seated resentment against those who have the worldly wealth they envy and are seeking. You are such a person, as are those who tapped into your emotional disturbance to get your class vote.  
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

This post perfectly exemplifies your inferiority complex and poor communication skills.
    See Red high-lighted. Why the bullying? Can't you get a point across intelligently? After all, this is supposed to be UR area.
    Perhaps I hit a nerve with my example of large southern plantation owners enslaving human beings. You certainly went on the defensive. Why is that? Did your ancestry deploy slaves? Are you ashamed of that? Is that why you point fingers of bigotry on this board? To deflect UR own sense of shame?

I never said southern plantation owners were the only ones to to enslave humans. I just brought up the example. Again, why be so defensive about it?
    You seem to be the one with emotional disturbance factors...and deep-seated resentment. Otherwise, why would you fly off the handle like that?

I don't resent others for being reciprocates of what you refer to as 'entitlements'.
    You obviously do. You paint strokes using a wide brush. The initial decisions to help others less fortunate have lead to programs that have been abused. But I certainly don't blame the decision-makers for trying. Why would you?

I've worked hard in my life. I put myself in a position where I no longer have to. I didn't need a Gov. program. Nor was I born with a silver spoon. I didn't have such opportunities laid out for me. Nor am I resentful of those who did. They have their own issues to deal with as a result - none to which I'm envious.

As I said, there's a difference between living in a country of opportunity as compared to being born into it.
    Perhaps you should reside in Cuba for a year or two.  Make it 5-10.
    If/when you return, do tell us all about "opportunity" and "liberty" and "human rights".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Katz : I gotta believe the decision to go to a 6-man rotation, or not to, is one of the entire management. Tito's feedback probably carries more weight than anybody's. I do find it funny that Tito stated how Miller was a huge part of the organization...despite the fact he's yet to throw a pitch in a RedSox uniform. And the only reason they will temporarily go with a 6-man staffis because Miller has leverage, but not 100 million dollars worth of leverage - enough to cause another Wake demotion.  By rights, Miller should be working his way into a start via long-relief outings, to get his feet wet. The hypocrisy continues.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Neither of us know for sure but IMO Francona does not have huge say in player personnel. Epstein did not like Larry Lucchino having say in personnel and Larry is his mentor. Theo builds the team IMHO and Terry deploys the personnel to that vision.

Yeah it is a tough place Wake is in but that's Epstein, all business 95% of the time. Miller is young with enormous ceiling, Epstein is in on him for the cheap and doesn't want to lose a 26 year old flame throwing LH pitcher. From his perspective I am sure he believes the Tigers rushed him and he can mine the gold from a former 6th overall pick that Tigers mismanaged. And in the current market, if Miller opted out he'd have a MLB contract tomorrow.

Whether it is trying to make the investment work with Lackey or Dice K or not lose control of Wake, Theo isn't going to do it out of respect to the 44 year old Wake. And he isn't going to do it because Francona doesn't want to do it.

As for long relief those opportunities as you and others pointed out in Wake's defense when he wasn't pitching well last year are sporadic and not conducive to the best results. Sounds like they might be juggling Lackey, Wake and Miller while keeping Lester, Buch and Beckett on normal rest-rotation. I don't see a problem with that honestly. It isn't hypocracy it is the cold blooded style of doing business that makes it easy for Epstein to let players walk in FA if the valuation does not match his projection to a T no matter what they have done for the organization.

Most of all this is Epstein's team not Francona's IMO and Terry saying the right things about Miller to support the corporate direction does not sway me to believe otherwise. But then again it is just my take.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

For those counting, the RS have just erased the 2-10 start with 7 losses on the road with a 8-1 road trip and the three game sweep of Oakland before they headed out on this journey.

Nice job working around the double on Papelbon's part. Quality work out of the BP overall and A-Gon is all that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I've worked hard in my life. I put myself in a position where I no longer have to. I didn't need a Gov. program

You put yourself in position to bleed the taxpayers. Any man who is capable should put in a day of honest work. The notion of "no longer have to" is the calling card of dead beat. 

It is you who are defensive and hurling your "born into opportunity" resentment complex. Do you feel guilty about yourself and your ancestors who actually had to work, and voted for entitlements so they could stop working and sponge off other people and claim "I paid into that" and it's fine if I draw out more?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How would you know my position? The great board know-it-all. You make poor assumptions, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I'll ask you again: Why did you come apart when I mentioned slave ownership?Did it affect UR ancestry? The ones you take such pride in? That was then. This is now. So why does it bother you? I don't feel guilty about anything. Do you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, Katz:  A nail-biter tonight. This team was built to win games on the road...just like this one. Bard is looking much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

One other thing Katz: Neither of us know what went into the final determination regarding the 6-man rotation. My best guess is that the agreement between Miller's agent and Theo was predicating on Miller's impending call-up. The fact he's starting over long-relief is Theo's decision, based on Miller's current status as starter.
    (Could also be part of the agreement, but that's just a wild guess).

I do think Tito weighed in heavily on keeping Wake in the rotation. I think that is based on Wake's 5 outings since joining the SR, and on his demotion in preference to Dice last year, which didn't bode well with established team personal.

I find it difficult to believe Tito wouldn't be consulted on such matters, or that his input wouldn't be influential considering he likely is more familiar with the
    in-between-starts work routine - which requires alteration when complying with
    a 6-man staff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Lowrie looked sharp, and so did Wastefield and Varitik

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]One other thing Katz : Neither of us know what went into the final determination regarding the 6-man rotation. My best guess is that the agreement between Miller's agent and Theo was predicating on Miller's impending call-up. The fact he's starting over long-relief is Theo's decision, based on Miller's current status as starter. (Could also be part of the agreement, but that's just a wild guess). I do think Tito weighed in heavily on keeping Wake in the rotation. I think that is based on Wake's 5 outings since joining the SR, and on his demotion in preference to Dice last year, which didn't bode well with established team personal. I find it difficult to believe Tito wouldn't be consulted on such matters, or that his input wouldn't be influential considering he likely is more familiar with the in-between-starts work routine - which requires alteration when complying with a 6-man staff.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE] The fact that Miller waived his opt out clause absolutely is because the RS assured him he would be called up very soon. Since Miller probably could latch on somewhere as a starter, stating likely was also involved.

Now with that in mind, while Tito was consulted, isn't it likely that it was more a case of "this is what we have to do to keep this guy, do you think you can make it work?"

Naturally none of this would be by design, the RS would be more than happy to pay Miller his $1.3M to keep working in Pawtucket until a greater need arose.

But while it is speculative Miller has huge potential value. The RS hold a $1.3M team option for 2012 and then would have three more years of arbitration. The kid has electric stuff, if he ever commands it this could be a huge plus for Boston. It is therefore not surprising they are willing to be flexible but I am not sure anyone includiing the RS know what the end game is if he comes up and is outstanding but would be a very happy problem for the RS fortunes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moon must be floating around on the lake in a rubber tube - just soaking up life. Perhaps he will have gone so far as to left the internet back home and only catch the games on the radio sitting out by the camp fire.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey guys... Had som family health scares.. all is well now, but baseball is put into prespective (I did manage to see most of the Beckett & Wake games).

Just checkin in for now, be back with more later.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I miss Boomer...who's next?

Everyone just has to agree to disagree without personal attack.  Regardless if on the same side of the issue or not.  Debates can't go on forever.  Sometimes it's just best to back away a little.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point amp.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Best Away numbers this year:
    AGon  1.013
    Papi     .975
    Ellsb    .906
    Pedey .789
    VTek   .708
    Drew  .684
    Craw  .680
    Youk   .677
    Scut    .633
    Salty   .630
    Cam    .583
    Lowrie .533

Best at Home:
    Youk   1.053
    Papi    1.031
    AGon  1.029
    Lowrie .877
    Salty   .865
    Scut    .832
    Ellsb   .777
    Pedey .706
    VTek   .681
    Craw   .636
    Drew   .636
    Cam    .433

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk and Scutty had anothe good home game yesterday. They really seem to enjoy home-cooking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have 2 of the next 8 days off. Here's how the rotation may shake out...

vs. SD Miller
    vs. SD Beckett
    vs. SD Lackey

off

@ Pitt Lester (+1 days rest)
    @ Pitt Wake  (+1)
    @ Pitt Miller (+1) or Beckett (normal rest)

off

@ Phil Beckett (+2) or Lackey (+1) or Miller (+3)
    @ Phil Lackey  (+2) or Lester
    @ Phil Lester  (+1)

@ Hou Wake  (+1)
    @ Hou Buch  (ready yet?) or Miller  (+1)
    @ Hou Beckett

vs. Tor Lackey (or Miller?)
    vs. Tor Lester
    vs. Tor Wake or Miller

vs. Bal Beckett
    vs. Bal Lackey or Miller
    vs. Bal Lester
    vs. Bal Wake or Miller

ALLSTAR BREAK

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My guess is that Buchholz will not return until the Jays series.  I don't think they will want to take any chances of him hurting his back swinging a bat.  Plus he has great numbers against the Jays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sounds good to me. They may even wait until after the Allstar break as well.