A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II

Gonzo's numbers are officially getting very sick.  .353, OPS over 1.00, 67 RBI.  He might be the most 'instantly taken for granted superstar' in team history. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Everything pointed to him having better numbers than in the spacious SD park, but this is eye-opening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Miller looks like he'll be useful for depth, but will be a more of a major rotation player with more development.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy is 26.

He could be here and now already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part II:
    [QUOTE]The guy is 26. He could be here and now already.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    True, but I remember watching him in spring training some and he looks a lot better now. I feel like the Sox development staff is doing a good job with him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, and with his experience and age, I think he is at about the age where he should be able to "prove it" now or very soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sidenote: I'm on my way to Pittsburgh to see the 3 games there, then on to Philly to see the first 2, then on to Maine for 5+ weeks.  Let's try to keep it real in my absence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Sidenote: I'm on my way to Pittsburgh to see the 3 games there, then on to Philly to see the first 2, then on to Maine for 5+ weeks.  Let's try to keep it real in my absence.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

What?? No laptop Moon?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, I bring it with me, but dont always get a chance to post on the road. I'm staying at my sisters, and we do other things  besides see the baseball games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll be in Pitt in time for the 3 games. I love that park and beautiful city. To bad the city dowsn't like the sport of baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I normally don't worry about theses things but I am a bit concerned they are considering putting Gonzalez in right field ..... he is a slow runner so defensively we would suffer but more important on the issue is the possibility of a crazy injury playing out of position...

Of course to sit Ortiz 9 straight games could cause him to go into a funk...

I think perhaps a 3 games on and 1 off for Gonzales, with Ortiz mainly getting some late innings play-time and pinch hitting.  Ortiz can start 2 to 3 games at first.

Anyone?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I normally don't worry about theses things but I am a bit concerned they are considering putting Gonzalez in right field ..... he is a slow runner so defensively we would suffer but more important on the issue is the possibility of a crazy injury playing out of position...

Of course to sit Ortiz 9 straight games could cause him to go into a funk...

I think perhaps a 3 games on and 1 off for Gonzales, with Ortiz mainly getting some late innings play-time and pinch hitting.  Ortiz can start 2 to 3 games at first.

Good post.

I'd like to say a few things:
    1) Craw is out and Drew is heating up. If AGon does play OF, it might be LF not RF.
    2) I think Tito could tell him to just play easy. Don't dive or do anything silly or jerky.
    3) The way Papi and AGon are hitting, it's really hard to sit one for 5 or 6 of 9 games.
    4) I am not sure one PH a game will keep Papi "fresh".
    5) Once Papi PH's he will be removed from the game, unless you move AGon to OF.

I am not sure if the gaon on offense outweighs the heavy loss on defense at 1B and LF, and I think the risk of injury does tilt the balance to the position of not playing AGon in the OF. If we are behind in a game, and Papi PH's in the 6th or 7th, perhaps it might be wise to keep him in the game afterwards and move AGon to LF for 2-3 innings as we try to ignite the offense for a comeback, but that's about as far as I think it should go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I am not totally sold that Drew is "coming out of it". Every good streak has to start somewhere and his .286 BA/.412 OBP in the last 7 days (5 games) is improvement. But his SLG hasn't really improved in that stretch though and his SLG% is just awful for a corner OF (.286 in last 5, .328 for the season).

He has a lot of PAs at this point (214). 79 OFers have 200 PAs this year. Drew is 67 out of 79 in OPS, and 75th out 79 in SLG. The longer it goes on, the more this is who JD Drew is at 35.

But the silver linings on Crawford's hamstring were a few. First, he was a spoke in the wheel rather than the hub. Pedey seemingly taking off once somebody told him his knee wasn't serious has helped. And it is going to allow Darnell McDonald and Josh Reddick to get more PAs so we can see what we have behind Cameron and Drew.

But it does tend to punctuate that the RS did have issues in the OF and that playing a pat hand would have been unwise. We may spend years debating the merits of signing Crawford for what we did, just like we have about Drew but it is looking more and more like Cameron and Drew are on the inevitable decline that age produces.

It isn't a show stopper that Drew is scuffling but it should be addressed if it continues and there are alternatives. Reddick and Mac have a chance to show they are alternatives so that Tito can make changes in a informed manner rather than pulling at straws. A better way to go.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Only time will tell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Did harness and boom get banned with softy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

All three still have their posts up and Softlaw is posting today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks katz; I was just wondering.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav,

I respect this thread and generally your insights, but have to disagree on Drew and AGon.  Drew has 4 hits in his last 15 at bats, and his OPS for June is .656--oh, and he doesn't have to do windows (hit against lefties).  I don't see him heating up, but will admit I hope I'm wrong.

AGon has already told Francona he is more comfortable in right field because that's where he apparently played in a winter league several years ago. 

To me there is no way Ortiz plays 1B and AGon sits.  AGon is a much better hitter and fielder, and he doesn't need a rest even though he's getting one today and another on Monday.  He thrives on playing every day. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's a close call. I won't argue with you.

I could see AGon starting in RF, then moving to 1B if we get a good lead.

Let's say we are talking about 7 games that AGon plays in RF. How many hits might the worse defense at 1B and RF allow over that time period? My guess is maybe 3-4 hits (perhaps some for extra bases). How many more hits might AGon get over Drew/Cam in about 30 PAs? My guess is about 3-4 hits (perhaps many for extra base hits).

It's pretty close.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

BDC had some technical issues, Moon. I had practically no access here for about a week. I hope UR having a good time. You mentioned family health scare. I take it all is well.

BTW: I meant to ask you, you have previously posted links in UR OP to previous REALISTIC threads. I noticed you didn't on this one. Do you by any chance have the links for last year's? I'm interested in May thru Oct. I went back 20 pages in the ARCHIVE #'s 3 & 4 but never saw the other REALISTIC threads.

BDC does move some current threads when they change forums, but they never move this thread because of the volume of posts. I can't imagine why BDC would delete them if they couldn't be moved. I'm just really surprised they aren't readily accessible once the move is made.

To AMPOULE: Please check your home page for messages when you get a chance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]BDC had some technical issues, Moon . I had practically no access here for about a week. I hope UR having a good time. You mentioned family health scare. I take it all is well. BTW: I meant to ask you, you have previously posted links in UR OP to previous REALISTIC threads. I noticed you didn't on this one. Do you by any chance have the links for last year's? I'm interested in May thru Oct. I went back 20 pages in the ARCHIVE #'s 3 & 4 but never saw the other REALISTIC threads. BDC does move some current threads when they change forums, but they never move this thread because of the volume of posts. I can't imagine why BDC would delete them if they couldn't be moved. I'm just really surprised they aren't readily accessible once the move is made. To AMPOULE: Please check your home page for messages when you get a chance.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I was wondering where you were. Glad to see you back!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BDC had some technical issues, Moon. I had practically no access here for about a week. I hope UR having a good time. You mentioned family health scare. I take it all is well.

Everything is fine. It was an intial misdiagnosis. We were all scared for almost 2 days.

BTW: I meant to ask you, you have previously posted links in UR OP to previous REALISTIC threads. I noticed you didn't on this one. Do you by any chance have the links for last year's? I'm interested in May thru Oct. I went back 20 pages in the ARCHIVE #'s 3 & 4 but never saw the other REALISTIC threads.

I looked for them too, but could not find them. They may have erased them.

BDC does move some current threads when they change forums, but they never move this thread because of the volume of posts. I can't imagine why BDC would delete them if they couldn't be moved. I'm just really surprised they aren't readily accessible once the move is made.

Did you try the links posted on those threads you found?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]BDC had some technical issues, Moon . I had practically no access here for about a week. I hope UR having a good time. You mentioned family health scare. I take it all is well. BTW: I meant to ask you, you have previously posted links in UR OP to previous REALISTIC threads. I noticed you didn't on this one. Do you by any chance have the links for last year's? I'm interested in May thru Oct. I went back 20 pages in the ARCHIVE #'s 3 & 4 but never saw the other REALISTIC threads. BDC does move some current threads when they change forums, but they never move this thread because of the volume of posts. I can't imagine why BDC would delete them if they couldn't be moved. I'm just really surprised they aren't readily accessible once the move is made. To AMPOULE: Please check your home page for messages when you get a chance.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Noted..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Will we see a Gil Meche pulled by Drew or Cameron?

Pitcher Spurns $12 Million, to Keep Self-Respect http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html

Chipper Jones ""Nowadays, so many players play the game for the 1st and 15th [pay days], but I never have," he said. "Certainly, I want to be compensated fairly for what I do, but I wasn't going to hold the organization over a barrel. And I never wanted to be a player who makes so much money that we can't stay competitive on the field. That was my main concern."

I know Lowell turned down money from Philly, but there is no good reason he didn't retire early last season.  He stayed for the check, it hurt me to watch him run.  He should have been embarrassed to block a young guy and to hurt the team taking a roster spot. 

If defense is valued correctly Drew has been worth his contract through 4 years, even if Yazzer's 3 brain cells can't see that. That being said it is hard to justify playing Drew over Reddick against RHP. If Drew continues to struggle will he do the right thing? He has more than he can ever spend plus he has his Monavie incomeWink

I did a cursory search and I was unable to find another player who did what Meche did. There must be others maybe some of the older posters can remember? Plenty have given hometown discounts or retired with gas in the tank.

New avatar is a tribute to the power of potato salad!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

.....or Lowrie. Ellsbury didn't pull a Meche, last year.

Sections
Shortcuts