A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

I was going to wait until the half way point to start the next chapter, but for some reason they closed Part II.

Let's keep it real.

Stay on topic: Sox and anything related to the Sox.

Topics about to heat up:
    1) RF: Drew, Reddick, Cam, DMac or trade?
    2) SS: Always an issue.
    3) C: Been quiet lately, but...
    4) Starters
    5) Releivers
    6) Trade deadline

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In today's game, I found it interesting that nobody on the board (n/i game thread)
    mentioned how Tito didn't run for Papi once he got on base.
    With the bases juiced and one out, how could  Tito let Papi run from 3rd base???Had that collision ended up in a dislocated shoulder, the entire season would have be at risk. Talk about a brain lapse. Papi had no possible function once he got on base. Was he gonna stay in the game and play the field?
    Really dumb. (harness from Part II)

harness, Papi PH for the pitcher in the 7th inning. If you pinch run for him, you take another player out of the game. We may have needed another player to PH for a pitcher later in the game. Perhaps we could have PR a pitcher for Papi.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I don't trade and Cam, Drew and Mac is about to heat up. Ellsbury and Kemp moving on should be heating up. This thread isn't realistic.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Neither was your promise to avoid it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think betterredthandead is a character straight out of Blazing Saddles because he has just favored us with some authentic western frontier gibberish. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In today's game, I found it interesting that nobody on the board (n/i game thread) mentioned how Tito didn't run for Papi once he got on base. With the bases juiced and one out, how could  Tito let Papi run from 3rd base???Had that collision ended up in a dislocated shoulder, the entire season would have be at risk. Talk about a brain lapse. Papi had no possible function once he got on base. Was he gonna stay in the game and play the field? Really dumb. (harness from Part II) harness, Papi PH for the pitcher in the 7th inning. If you pinch run for him, you take another player out of the game. We may have needed another player to PH for a pitcher later in the game. Perhaps we could have PR a pitcher for Papi.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I noticed on Friday night someone (not harness) got on Tito for not making a double switch when he made his first pitching change to put the pitcher in the 5 spot. This of course was in the face that we had Ortiz able to come up with the runners on in the pitcher's slot in the 8th.

Overall, Tito knows what he is doing IMO with the NL rules and the limitations of a 25 man roster with 12 pitchers. the biggest problem with the NL rules is Ortiz sitting and just how much it exposes the lack of production from OFers not named Ellsbury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

My realistic look at the Sox right now is that the pitching is better than I expected and the hitting is about what I expected. 

AGon has of course been huge, but Ellsbury and Ortiz are both better than expected, and Youk and Pedroia are about on par.  Drew/McDonald/Cameron stink in RF, but what the hey.  Lowrie's injury hurts, but Scutaro is OK.  Catchers are looking pretty good.  Crawford can't possibly play up to his salary, but he could still be a quality player in LF. 

Miller could be the find of the year, and Wake/Aceves have been useful.  Beckett is terrific enough to compensate for Lester being a little off, ditto Buchholz.  I have hope for Lackey, but not much more than that.  Bullpen is OK, maybe better--we'll see. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hey what is happening in this thread? I've seen more life in a morgue. Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If Salty keeps hitting over .250 with Pop, he's the find of the year! No doubt that Miller could well be a huge find also. Too bad he is only under contract for the next year and a half. He could become an extremely valuable commodity. Is it time already to try to extend him? I know that will not happen but it's tempting!

Some great news from the farm still but I'm not convinced this was a good draft year yet.

Got to go but I check in from time to time still.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Harns, I believe that Tito kept Ortiz in to run in case we did not take the lead and the game remained tied. I think had it still been tied we might well have seen the debut of Agon in right. There is no other logical explanation for Ortiz running for himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]I think betterredthandead is a character straight out of Blazing Saddles because he has just favored us with some authentic western frontier gibberish. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Gabby Johnson, with gen-you-wine frontier gibberish!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]My realistic look at the Sox right now is that the pitching is better than I expected and the hitting is about what I expected.  AGon has of course been huge, but Ellsbury and Ortiz are both better than expected, and Youk and Pedroia are about on par.  Drew/McDonald/Cameron stink in RF, but what the hey.  Lowrie's injury hurts, but Scutaro is OK.  Catchers are looking pretty good.  Crawford can't possibly play up to his salary, but he could still be a quality player in LF.  Miller could be the find of the year, and Wake/Aceves have been useful.  Beckett is terrific enough to compensate for Lester being a little off, ditto Buchholz.  I have hope for Lackey, but not much more than that.  Bullpen is OK, maybe better--we'll see. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You must have had low expectations on the pitching staff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Harns,I believe that Tito kept Ortiz in to run in case we did not take the lead and the game remained tied. I think had it still been tied we might well have seen the debut of Agon in right. There is no other logical explanation for Ortiz running for himself.
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

But we just took the lead when Papi went to 3rd, Jid. Scut scored the go-ahead run. When the time is right, you go for the jugular. Papi was the insurance run at 3rd, w'less than two out.
    Cam should have run. What use is he otherwise? How much of an upgrade is he at this point over a good hitting pitcher in a PH role at this point?

Besides, with a potential 2-run cushion, losing Cam to attain it
    far outweighs blowing a 4-2 lead in the 9th. If that's the case, I doubt Cam would make much difference. The pen would be spent after the 9th. Once Bard/Paps were committed to the game, it dictated going all out.

Moon: I'm not a fan of pitchers pinch-running, as their instincts generally aren't good, and the risk to injury isn't worth it.

Katz: UR right, I didn't mention anything about the double-flip earlier, but Tito did blow it there. I don't think it was a matter of him not knowing the rules, which he obviously does. I think it was a brain cramp - just a poor decision.

I see the softlaw/Burrito couple have contributed their usual baiting to this thread.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The one team we do not match up well against is the Phillies. We should have spent the Carl Crawford money for Cliff Lee. The combinbation of Haliday, Lee and Hamels is one no team will want to face.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

there was a lot of better things to spend the CC money on; except theo would have wasted it on somebody else just as useless. history shows us slackey, drew, and lugo; just to name a few. theo's bad signings are unequaled by any GM in the last 10 years; maybe the METS.
    it's going to be a long season for the SOX! fortunately, there are many other clubs in the AL in worse shape, so the SOX will still sneak in as a wild card.

"no bad signing goes unpunished."Frown

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]The one team we do not match up well against is the Phillies. We should have spent the Carl Crawford money for Cliff Lee. The combinbation of Haliday, Lee and Hamels is one no team will want to face.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox had no chance in the Lee derby though, would have been a colossal waste of time going up against two teams ready to break the bank and a third he really wanted to play for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : But we just took the lead when Papi went to 3rd , Jid . Scut scored the go-ahead run. When the time is right, you go for the jugular. Papi was the insurance run at 3rd, w'less than two out. Cam should have run. What use is he otherwise? How much of an upgrade is he at this point over a good hitting pitcher in a PH role at this point? Besides, with a potential 2-run cushion, losing Cam to attain it far outweighs blowing a 4-2 lead in the 9th. If that's the case, I doubt Cam would make much difference. The pen would be spent after the 9th. Once Bard/Paps were committed to the game, it dictated going all out . Moon : I'm not a fan of pitchers pinch-running, as their instincts generally aren't good, and the risk to injury isn't worth it. Katz : UR right, I didn't mention anything about the double-flip earlier, but Tito did blow it there. I don't think it was a matter of him not knowing the rules, which he obviously does. I think it was a brain cramp - just a poor decision. I see the softlaw/Burrito couple have contributed their usual baiting to this thread.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]I just don't see how he blew it by keeping his powder dry and having Ortiz come up in the 8th representing the go ahead run. Now the only argument would be that Mac is that bad. But so is Drew, so is Cameron and Reddick is a hot but unknown factor.

It was the easy, "pitcher is up" let's double switch move there but his patience gave him a better spot to use Ortiz late and close.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox had no chance in the Lee derby though, would have been a colossal waste of time going up against two teams ready to break the bank and a third he really wanted to play for.

Do we really know if Lee likes Boston or not? I doubt he would have come here, but who knows for sure?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : But we just took the lead when Papi went to 3rd , Jid . Scut scored the go-ahead run. When the time is right, you go for the jugular. Papi was the insurance run at 3rd, w'less than two out. Cam should have run. What use is he otherwise? How much of an upgrade is he at this point over a good hitting pitcher in a PH role at this point? Besides, with a potential 2-run cushion, losing Cam to attain it far outweighs blowing a 4-2 lead in the 9th. If that's the case, I doubt Cam would make much difference. The pen would be spent after the 9th. Once Bard/Paps were committed to the game, it dictated going all out . Moon : I'm not a fan of pitchers pinch-running, as their instincts generally aren't good, and the risk to injury isn't worth it. Katz : UR right, I didn't mention anything about the double-flip earlier, but Tito did blow it there. I don't think it was a matter of him not knowing the rules, which he obviously does. I think it was a brain cramp - just a poor decision. I see the softlaw/Burrito couple have contributed their usual baiting to this thread.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Harns, I was referring to the fact that we didn't run for him the moment he touched first base with the walk. If we weren't going to leave him in to hit again in case the game remained tied, the time to run for him was then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Reasons for not going with Cameron and McDonald as a .100-hitting tagteam tonight...They suck...yet, there's those numbers showing a whopping 2-for-6 and a homer and a 2-for-5 for the duo v. Lee...Which is pretty small sample size to forcefeed the two in the same start. I'm with others who want Reddick in there despite it being a lefty matchup. Moon, to add to your lines about salary dictating someone playing over someone, let me add that a small sample size of history should not dictate two players starting who can't hit their way out of a paper bag right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Harns, I was referring to the fact that we didn't run for him the moment he touched first base with the walk. If we weren't going to leave him in to hit again in case the game remained tied, the time to run for him was then.
    Posted by jidgef[/QUOTE]

They should have run for Papi anyway. You're right. Being he didn't represent the go-ahead run once he reached first, I can see not using Cam at that point.
    But once Papi got to 3rd and less than two out, not pinch-running for him was criminal. As I mentioned earlier, had Papi dislocated his shoulder in that collision, this board would have wanted his head. Losing Papi to such idiocy could have cost Tito his tenure past 2011.

That's how dumb that brain-crap was.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

To DC: Lee is 6-1 at home  1.88 ERA going into tonight's game.
    (Lee is 2-4with a 4+ ERA on the road).
    I doubt any line-up jockeying would have made the difference.

This was a game where I'd have hit Scut 2nd and Pedey 5th. Then Reddick could have played for Mac, who is on his way out of Boston.

But their chances of beating Lee tonight were very slim.
    Philly at home in October - the team to beat.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

On a positive note, Lavarnway is sure looking like a mlb level hitter to me. Check out the below links!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsVuZJuCaMY

An interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjOC6xQJUc&feature=related

More and more positive comments about his fielding also. this guy looks like he is going to make it. The ability to take the ball to opposite field and hit off speed stuff is a very positive sign. If he catches he has a chance to be our best hitting catcher since Fisk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A good article detailing some issues related to Lavarnway here. He's improving defensively:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/27/2246295/prospect-of-the-day-ryan-lavarnway-c-boston-red-sox

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

to HARNESS, just because your chances of winning are slim doesn't mean you simply "white-flag" your lineup to make it more obvious. The very presence of 2 .100 hitting OFs (yes I know DMAC hit a double...oh, oh, start him!!!) to go with no DH and Varitek doesnt quite give your team much of a chance against Cliff Lee or Bruce Chen for that matter.

Sections
Shortcuts