A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : If you mean this, yes. I do think Youk is still gonna handle 3rd, but his back-up will be more available and better with the leather. They really can't DH Youk to replace Papi and then expectto replace Youk'snumbers with a lesser hitting 3rd baseman. I know posters want to clean house, but the fact will emerge that there's isn't as much maneuverability as some might think.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Part of the Pitching Coach's bad prospects going forward, is, IMO, because there needs to be scapegoats, i.e, heads need to roll; not that he deserves to stay, of course. It is quite possible a Dave Duncan or a Rick Peterson could have avoided some of those injuries via a better handle on each pitcher's mechanics, and could have helped Lackey some too - assuming he's not too pig-headed to listen; (if Lackey was on my team, and I was the Mgr, he would have been in my office after showing me up several times, lastly in a game he clearly was losing a handle on, for starters, NPI; and his personal situation doesn't sound very impressive either; sigh, he's laughing all the way to the bank)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Part of the Pitching Coach's bad prospects going forward, is, IMO, because there needs to be scapegoats, i.e, heads need to roll; not that he deserves to stay, of course. It is quite possible a Dave Duncan or a Rick Peterson could have avoided some of those injuries via a better handle on each pitcher's mechanics, and could have helped Lackey some too - assuming he's not too pig-headed to listen; (if Lackey was on my team, and I was the Mgr, he would have been in my office after showing me up several times, lastly in a game he clearly was losing a handle on, for starters, NPI; and his personal situation doesn't sound very impressive either; sigh, he's laughing all the way to the bank)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I'll give you a rough idea of the importance of a pitching coach.
    In 2009, Sabathia, from April thru July, was 10-7  3.83 ERA. 1.189 WHIP.

Dave Eiland worked with him and they made an adjustment. Eiland wanted CC to be able to bury his slider/cutter in on righties, and yet make it appetizing enough to swing at. The result? In August/Sept: 9-1  2.52 ERA  1.073 WHIP

...and a ring.

As I said back in May: A coach can make or break you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I thought Stottlemyre was good; for some reason, GS pushed him out. My favorite (but admittedly unoriginal)  quote from him "The Best Pitch is Strike One"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

There isn't a ton of flexibility, but this team was built to win now, and it doesn't look well positioned to win next year.

Losing Matsuzaka and having Lackey tank puts alot of pressure on the rotation next year. It's not what we projected and little help is coming from the farm. I would think they will be all over that this winter but that's a difficult challenge.

We are not in a position to start over. We have the team positioned to win now and it's tough to go back and start over when so many players are in their prime. We can't tell Pedroia and Ellsbury to wait a year or 2 for us to get back to form. We are going to need to retool this winter.

It would seem that we are going to have to trade some prospects again. The free agent market alone isn't going to get it done. At a cost effective level at least, and the Yanks have a lot of pent up cash waiting to be spent. I would think they would be in the runnng for Wilson, for example, although they do have some starting pitching talent coming up the ranks.

And the Yanks and Rays look to be even better next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It would seem that Bogart and Young will be going, at minimum or at least I would think that is warranted. 

I think Theo made reasonable decisions, except for the Crawford deal at such a high cost. They just didn't work out. He does get over enthusiastic sometimes with deals like Matsuzaka and Crawford though. He overestimated both deals in a major way.

What they have done in the farm over the past 2 drafts has been excellent though, IMO. But it will not be helping them much for a while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I can see packaging a combo of MLB ready prospects/players like
    Douby/Lowrie/Bowden/Weiland and a top-flight prospect to try and pry Guthrie from the O's. He's been durable and would replace Dice...and then some.

I like what I see in Tazawa since his return. He throws 92-93 as opposed to 89-90 before his TJ surgery. I also think it might be a mistake to give up on Miller.
    He was on the right trek in Pawtucket, and showed promise. Judging him based on his erratic control may be short-sighted, as too many pitchers under Young's "tutelage" suffered similar fates.
    The hope is they have a much better sounding board next year.

The main challenge in 2012 will be shaking off the fears of impending collapse every time footsteps are heard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Out of frustration with Paps, and Proctor & Gamble now facing the Rays, I will. He said Jake's season was the result of AGONE. Jake is getting "43% more fat city meatballs". My favorite though is how he accused you of changing his Lugo post. That one  stands with the idiotic accusation by Crazy the loon  that you erased all UR posts on  his thread.
    Posted by harness

Yes, I missed some of the greatest ones!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Well that was just down right spooky. That rain delay was killing me. I'll save my rant for some other time. A decimated Pitching staff and not enough timely hitting. You can look at the payroll all you want, but it won't tell you that only 2/3 of the team made it on the field. At the same time, the injury report alone can't explain some poor performances. And again, at the same time, those poor performances don't, and shouldn't reflect so many players on this team that really did have a great year and didn't deserve such an ending to their season.

I want to say thanks for a truly awesome, amazing thread all year. Very informative and insanely entertaining. You guys definitely push the envelope on what a baseball forum should be. I don't even have to post anything, I usually just read, and that's fine by me.

There's a quote that always pops-up in my head during times like these. " You're only ever truly free, when you've lost everything" (or something like that, you get my meaning). Here's hoping a season like this makes them a better team in the future. And as far as being a fan goes... I've been here before too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Well guys, that's it.  I'm stunned.  Like many other games this month, we played well enough to win, but we didn't.  For me a pivotal moment came late when we had Ells at third and Pedey at first, and we couldn't score.  Big Papi's attitude walking back to the bench told me he KNEW that was the moment where he or someone was supposed to step up.  Too many runners with no timely hits. Until the last two nights I have not subscribed to Harness's views that the pitching coach was part of the problem, but the last two nights have me considering.  Listening to the announcers "Well, he's thrown 14 fastballs in a row, and you can't do that with professional hitters," or just the fact there was no one up in the bullpen with Lester obviously hanging by a string in the most important game of the year, just a general non spontaneous approach to what was happening on the mound--or on the field. I guess we should all reflect a bit.  But for me not enough guys on this team think they can win regardless of circumstances or act like winners.  In 2007 everyone knew they were going to win.  Where that attitude comes from I would like to discuss here.  From above?  From fellow players? One final thing.  I know some posters here generally don't like the bunt.  With this team we don't need it often, but it should be in the arsenal for special situations, games.  Ells on 3rd and Pedey on 1st in a low run game that means the year with little hitting occurring--wouldn't that have been a spot?  Maybe unfairly, but in the light of what ultimately happened? 
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Nice post Crit. "Stunned" is a good word.

That is one of the few situations to bunt, but we have some players who don't even know what the word means.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The RS Team ERA in September was 7.26; that was the highest in the team's history for any month, and we're talking about 7000 months. Them going down before the season ended was like putting them out of their misery. This is what I think went wrong, in no particular order.

1. The Crawford Signing - It was knee jerk, unecessary, and for what his contract spells out, he was terrible, most surprisingly, in the field and on the bases, with an OBP under .300. He also may not have the constitution to play in Boston.

His career OBP is too low as well...for that money.

2. Reading their press clippings - always a bad idea; they only seemed to focus when they were playing the big, bad Yankees, otherwise it was often an overconfident mail-in; you would never see this from a Bellichick Patriots or Lombardi Packer team. They also may have been not as motivated in the conditioning dept, and may have had a few Mantle partier types (Of course, like Babe, to some degree he got away with it).

It was like they tjhought they were entitled to the WC slot.

3. The Manager - I always thought Terry was among the best Mgrs in the game;I still think he's a great tactician (But fans want perfection), but this yr he seemed to convey a country club atmosphere with his veterans, ala Tom Yawkey.

I agree 100%.

4. The Pitching Coach - He's so gone it's not even funny

Ditto.

5. Youkilis is now a man without a position - He can't play 3rd anymore, and it's not healthy for him. This was a slight negative to the AGon acquisition. AGon playing RF against the NL was not so far fetced afterall; IMO he would be a good, albeit slow OFer, like Piniella or Stargell was, and in LF. Move Crawford to RF where he can use his speed; it's wasted in LF. Combining his speed with his bad yr defensively and the small acreage there, I would say even Greenwell was better.

I said it at the time of the deal. I still like the AGon deal, but moving Youk to 3B at his age and increasing state of fragilty was dangerous. Youk's bat is too important to put at risk of losing it.

6. The Bard mystery - Somehow, his mechanics went astray, see the Pitching Coach.

I think he will be fine next year under a new coach. He may well be the closer.

7. Lackey - see Crawford, but for different reasons.

Well, they both can only get better...right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How so? O the racist thing. I do like reading Softlaw's posts normally but sometimes when you see someone go too far you have to say something.

That's the first time I've seen you directly and clearly call softy out.

Moon you are always above the fray and that makes you an ideal poster, it is normally why unless I have something solid to ad I do not enter this thread out of oure respect for you (and fivekatz).  In fact I think if you pay attention you will see that 75% of the common posters here avoid this thread all together. Seldom does one enter just to taunt and try to diminish the thread. You guys all love your stats, and I disagree with that love. However there's plenty of other threads for me to go if I want to just blab.

Thanks. One of the few guys who do come to this thread just to "taunt" is your buddy- softy. Forget the politics: you know he is a master of goalpost moving, diverting, changing his positions, and baiting.

And looks like I spoke far too soon. I turned off the Tampa game and went to the gym when it was 7-0.... wow o wow.

I must say that if anyone had earned a ton of respect its Tampa. I never liked that team from its very incarnation but I will root for them much like I did San Fran before to go all the way. Detroit falls into second for me in terms of wishing them well... Philly is Philly and I don't care about them but I do respect Roy Halliday, Texas-St.Louis-Arizona- and especially New York are not receiving any love from BurritoT.

I started paying attention to TB in 2008. I kept thinking they'd "go away", but their young staff held them tough. The staff is even better now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I want to say thanks for a truly awesome, amazing thread all year. Very informative and insanely entertaining. You guys definitely push the envelope on what a baseball forum should be. I don't even have to post anything, I usually just read, and that's fine by me.

Thanks emp. I look forward to your 'rant" at a later time. Mine is forthcoming as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Everything that was wrong and right with the Sox happened in that O's finale....
    1. Lester throws well enough, but its' 6 IP and that's pretty much as far as a Sox SP could go over the last month of the year.
    2. Bogar sends Scutaro to his death needlessly. While It might have been Marco's fault for slowing down not sure if the ball would be caught (smart baseball in my mind), where the hell is the 3rd base coach making a decision to hold up Marco once he saw Marco slow down?
    3. Pedroia homers and comes through like a MVP. Ellsbury has some key at bats, Scutaro has key at bats. Pretty much the same few Sox who were doing anything for the team were doing it in the finale.
    4. Ortiz taps a ball in front of home plate. As good as Papi is in the clutch (or was), here all he had to do was place the ball somewhere, and he inside can't get it 2 feet in his biggest at bat of the season.
    5. Aceves comes through...and Bard. Bard fell apart a lot over the last few months of the year and it was a major reason why the team faltered, his blown holds, etc. But Bard did throw a yeomon 8th and did his job and when the team was fantastic for 4 months, he was a main reason the team succeeded. Aceves was the team's MVP and threw 4 times in 4 days....a hero in my mind.
    6. I can't blame Papelbon. He deserved a better fate. 1 run is all about 2 hits and with closers, you never know when lights out means your season is over. It happens to all of them and now twice in big, big games for Paps. He had a great season.
    7. Francona. For all the ripping this guy has gotten (and some of it justified), in this particular game, he made some good moves and non-moves. I was glad he let Lester work his way out of the 6th despite the walks (some guys would have pulled Jon and it would have been for the truly horrid Albers). He started Lavarnway, now maybe you can say he had no choice, but despite the results, I would have hung him myself had he not played the kid yesterday. And so would have 90 percent of Sox Nation. He played the right 9 yesterday, and he even sent in a pinch runner (again the right move) when Ortiz failed miserably on his last at bat. The team left way too many guys on base. But Tito managed game 162 fine by my eyes.
    8. I went on record when they were 2-10 and said they wouldn't make the playoffs. Never have I been more sad that I was proven right. 2-10 starts ultimately come back to haunt you. 20 loss Septembers don't help either.
    9. Team was decimated in a lack of SPs (or ones who were reliable), a bullpen that was failing healthwise and performance wise except for Aceves and Papelbon (until the finale). The team's power hitters went into a complete 2nd half tank--you can say goodbye to any more HR derbys for many players based on what has been happening post-All-Star games. Ortiz, AGON did not do their jobs in these important games. Too many wasted at bats.
    10. Theo Epstein...Well, I think he showed that you need to do a little more than open pocketbooks and sign checks based on "availability" over "need." His Lackey and CC signings are now legendary failures (CC may never live down of all things a defensive play--Flood took a lot of abuse for a ball that sailed over his head in 68 WS--and CC seemed very slow to react to the liner to LF...where was this speed he supposedly had? He made a great catch earlier on a ball in the stands...oh well.). He did nothing to help the pen or the SP other than acquire a 4 inning pitcher Bedard and a backup OF Jackson. His Aviles acquisition was good overall. His signings of Wheeler and Jenks were not (hard to predict relievers and health). He relied on Miller and he wasn't reliable.

His Farm System pitchers did little to help either-Bowden, Doubront, Morales, Weiland, etc...Something to be said about guys who have never been in Boston and how they react to pressure---Crawford and AGON both endured some abuse and unfortunately neither could help the team enough over the last weeks. Beltre was a guy who seemed to do well in Boston, and was a good 3b. But the mind was made up to move Youk to 3b, and well as I said--Youks is a great 1b in my opinion, but a so-so 3b---money is ok to hold on to for the players with lesser contracts so they can OVERSPEND on players they didn't need--Crawford.

Not much help from Theo overall. He did a worse job than Francona in that Theo did nothing to help the team at the trade deadline. Francona wasn't much different than he's ever been, including in 04 and 07.

Overall, tough season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

Your pitching is below average, players do not come to work, and the coach is going to get blamed for the organizations lack of committment to baseball and more committed to turning the franchise into the laughing stock of MLB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think the RS have a very hard decision on Papelbon. We in some ways under apreciate Papelbon in Boston. No other pitcher has ever stepped into MLB and in their first 6 season saved over 30 a year.

I take last night's bullpen failure with a grain of salt and it was a sign of the very near future ending of the Boston Red Sox, if they had managed to escape that game last night. The three relievers were gassed, over used because there waas no tomorrow and no better option than those relievers even if they were gassed.

It will of course be another interesting off season. The season will be micro anaylzed and every flaw discussed. Some flaws will get more focus than they should because every team even WS winners have flaws.

To me the deadly flaw was starting pitching in the end. The team could have worked through sub-par OF production from everyone not named Ellsbury. The catching tandem did what the had to over 162. The bullpen ended up with cracks but better starting pitching would have stopped those cracks from showing so badly.

There are lots of ways to look at the starting pitching. The RS set their opening day 5 starters and those pitchers only made 103 out of 160 projected starts. The Rays an amazing 147 out 160. And there is another stat that jumps as you look at, of the 103 starts the RS did get, 28% of them were from John Lackey in the midst of a historically bad year (no hype there BTW it was historic).

The RS ERA in September is all we need to know. Teams do not and never have averaged enough runs to cover what the RS were allowing the opponent. I have posted before that IMO the tailspin became full force when Bedard and Beckett both had to pulled from the rotation in back to back games. I believe that still.

Now there is going to be endless anaylsis and the natural drive to assign blame, particularly given the expectations for the team. It won't be just in the Nation. Epstein made a lot of assumptins over 2 years about how his team would sort out and many just aren't coming to bare fruit.

He assumed Papi would decline some and be either much more affordable or replacable. He assumed Iggy would be ready for 2012. He assumed he'd have few if any issues with starters having all locked up through 2012 and 4 well beyond. He assumed Crawford would leave him with only one OF position to worry about this winter and that Papelbon would be transparently replaced. That is a whole lot of stuff that did not go to a plan that committed a lot of budget in 2012 and beyond already.

The blame game, if you buy my thinking about pitching? Well CY doesn't escape, that's for sure, no matter how much real blame he holds. At what point does John Henry get his ego past his business alliance with his hand picked medical staff and move on?

Epstein probably holds more "blame" than Francona. Canning Francona would fulfill the desire to assign blame, make someone pay, it would validate the Coma element of RS Nation and take out Curt Young and Bogar all in one stroke. But the odds are pretty good the RS won't be better removing Tito. And IMO opinion no one would have this time or in the future will win with the pitching staff that the RS ended up with for September.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Back at you, moon.

Thanks for starting and maintaining - and sometimes policing - the best thread on this - or any - board.

Too early to start the 2012 thread yet, methinks.  We may need to do a post-mortem, wrap up, close the book, before moving on.  But that is your call.

I think we all need a rest, to take a breath and exhale.  We need to think about this one.

Well, at least I do.  I am going to take a few days off.

I will not make fun of the Yankees' collapse in the 2004 ALCS ever again.

Oh, this one hurts.  It will hurt for a long time, and leave a big hole in my soul that will last for all my days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Well said, katz. Totally agree.

John Henry has got to feel that he should be getting more value from his payroll.

Heck, playing in the toughest division in MLB, the Rays get into the playoffs witih a payroll of $ 42,171,308 (almost one half of their payroll for 2010) and the Red Sox play golf with payroll of  $ 163,822,475 (down $5 mil from 2010).

Data is from Cott's Baseball Contracts.

Rays get more value from a payroll that is 1/4 of the Red Sox.

Gotta stop now. Hurts too much to keep talking...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Tito deserves to come back, but I think he needs to see that the coaches surrounding him have to do their jobs as well--so I would fire Bogar and Young and maybe even bench coach Hale. That would be a message that the team is chaning its act. Tito does not need to be axed for the Forum or for anyone else who thinks he is a poor manager. I've always said this about Tito--no one plays the media better as a manager in Boston sports--even Bellichick isn't that good with his PR to the media. And I've always said that despite times where I yell at the TV, or shake my head about lineups or even in-game decisions, he's a 2000s manager. He knows the balance between players egos and management being hasty to throw some guys under a bus. I don't think another manager could come here and do the job he has done--he's not great, but he's ours--and I'm fine with him as manager.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When frustrated people like to blame others. katz makes a good point about getting only 103 starts from our top 5 starters (actually a 110 if you count Dice-K's 10 starts), but did we really expect Dice-K to give us more than 30 starts? Buch getting 26-28 less than hoped for was unexpected, but if it wasn't him, it could have been the oft-injured Beckett instead. Wake (23 starts) was able to carry the load for a good 15 starts, but expecting more asking too much. Miller (12), Bedard (8), Weiland (5) and Aceves (4) were just patchwork gambles at best.

The Yanks got 130 starts fromt heir top 5, but also got a solid 27 from Nova.

The Rays got an incredible 148 starts from their top 5, but these guys are all young and healthy. As great as these numbers are they won the WC with no wins from David Price in September. Their 6th starter, Alex Cobb at age 23, went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 9 starts. They also got a key start out of Matt Moore at age 22.

Starting pitchers is the name of the game down the stretch. Starting depth is key to not having issues like we did in September. Hitting is important. Timely hitting is important, but hard to identify and acquire. It always comes down to who is pitching for us tomorrow, right? 2 aces or near aces is not enough. We need to rebuild our staff from the top, not by getting several #4 slot guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]When frustrated people like to blame others. katz makes a good point about getting only 103 starts from our top 5 starters (actually a 110 if you count Dice-K's 10 starts), but did we really expect Dice-K to give us more than 30 starts? Buch getting 26-28 less than hoped for was unexpected, but if it wasn't him, it could have been the oft-injured Beckett instead. Wake (23 starts) was able to carry the load for a good 15 starts, but expecting more asking too much. Miller (12), Bedard (8), Weiland (5) and Aceves (4) were just patchwork gambles at best. The Yanks got 130 starts fromt heir top 5, but also got a solid 27 from Nova. The Rays got an incredible 148 starts from their top 5, but these guys are all young and healthy. As great as these numbers are they won the WC with no wins from David Price in September. Their 6th starter, Alex Cobb at age 23, went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 9 starts. They also got a key start out of Matt Moore at age 22. Starting pitchers is the name of the game down the stretch. Starting depth is key to not having issues like we did in September. Hitting is important. Timely hitting is important, but hard to identify and acquire. It always comes down to who is pitching for us tomorrow, right? 2 aces or near aces is not enough. We need to rebuild our staff from the top, not by getting several #4 slot guys.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your fdbk moon; I was proud of that post; and FWIW, I did mention Crawford's OBP. (Why only 18 SB?) He was considered an elite LFer, so I don't understand the defensive lapse. And 142 Mil nets you a .288 OBP? 85 Mil a 6.49 ERA and yet gets upset when taken out? Unbelievable.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Thanks Moon.  And thanks Danny and 5K for your analyses.  Reading the sports pages of the Globe this morning I found these words:  "uninspired and out of shape" in reference to the RS players.  Which coach did we lose last year that people said ran spring training and got guys in shape and worked on fundamentals?  Mills?  If we get new coaches, one of them has to be that kind of guy.  Also, what is Scutaro's contract status for next year?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Scutaro: $6 million team option
                 $3 million player option
                 $1.5 million buy-out

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/marco-scutaros-2012-option.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Moon.  And thanks Danny and 5K for your analyses.  Reading the sports pages of the Globe this morning I found these words:  "uninspired and out of shape" in reference to the RS players.  Which coach did we lose last year that people said ran spring training and got guys in shape and worked on fundamentals?  Mills?  If we get new coaches, one of them has to be that kind of guy.  Also, what is Scutaro's contract status for next year?  
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]There is a team option on Scut. I believe it is $6M if the RS keep him, a $1.5M buyout if they don't. In effect he will be a $4.5M decision.

I don't buy 90% of what the media says about a RS team in victory or defeat.

Uninspired is a tag that every losing team gets hung on them. Out of shape? I can't really think who that could be said of? Some guys got hurt, it happens in the sport every year, some years teams are luckier with that than others.

There are going to be a million reasons tossed around, word of discourse between Fo and field management, blame for the FO, the field manager,m specific players you name it.

Not a lot of teams take the body blow of losing two of their starting 5 pitchers, having another have a historically bad year and the first "next in line" have the mediocre year that Wake had. A long shot had to emerge from AAA and exceed expectations to stop this and it never happened.

That the RS kept it so well cloaked until September is perhaps a bigger surprise than the collapse. And that IMO is a credit to the inspired ball the Rs played in June through August.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

There is a coaching problem IMO.

I have posted a few times about Bogar and Johnson saying, while being recorded in ST, that the young OFs do not practice as hard as they should.  They cited Cameron as a player who trained hard and practiced the fundamentals.

These players are mostly to blame by why aren't they being held accountable.

Terry's weak spot is discipline IMO.  Lack of hustle on the bases, complaining veterans about playing time, and not instilling the proper practice ethic into young players.

I know many of us bang on about Weaver, but I can't imagine these problems under his regime.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

5K, I agree with you and others that pitching is 95% of the problem.  However, after a collapse like this everything should be on the table and as others point out, with the scope of injuries we've had over the last two years, conditioning has to be at least surveyed.  It's been rumored here and elsewhere for two years that we aren't in good shape coming out of ST.  I'm one of those that thinks if you hear it enough, maybe there's something to it.  Furthermore, using the "eye test" only, this team over the last month has made too many errors, mental and physical.  And I'm including coaches as well as players.  I would offer that 5 to 7 errors were made in last night's game, mental, physical, or judgements and with our delicate pitching, we can't afford that many.  I think all the pitchers looked a little gassed last night but why wouldn't they?  These two factors (conditioning and approach) may not be why we are not in the PO's, but some questions should be asked about them.  How many guys were up on the rail hooting last night in our most important game?  How many in 2007?  How many were on the rail in Tampa?  Some would discount this type of stuff, but I don't.

Sections
Shortcuts