A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Thanks for your fdbk moon; I was proud of that post; and FWIW, I did mention Crawford's OBP. (Why only 18 SB?) He was considered an elite LFer, so I don't understand the defensive lapse. And 142 Mil nets you a .288 OBP? 85 Mil a 6.49 ERA and yet gets upset when taken out? Unbelievable.  
    Posted by nhsteven

nh, I always enjoy your posts even the very few times I disagree.

I seriously doubt we can find a way to dump Lackey or deal CC, unless we take on someone else's salary albatross, so we will just have to hope they will improve and help more than hurt. I never expected greatness from either, but I did expect better than this. 

I'm going to wait a few days before I try to put my thoughts into words about this season. I don't want emotion and frustration getting in the way, or making me say something I will regret or have to retract later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

While a collapse like September's with that long stretch of bad baseball makes it hard to appreciate, we had yet another year of entertainment from this team. They had us for 161 games and 8 2/3 innings glued to our seats. With mood swings from best team "evah", to how can they be that bad in April, to best team "evah", to the can't be this bad and waiting every game for the nightmare to end, only to have it end with the big splash signing of the winter Carl Crawford not quite making a snow cone catch.

And it isn't going to get any less engaging this off season, with so many decisions to be made, the likely revelations about issues in the clubhouse (damn they did a good job of containing that until the season was over) and just what tweaking they are going to do.

If we take a deep breath, there are issues (starting depth, the always evolving bullpen, the OF, direction at C, what to do with DH) but this team has a core with a lot of talent.

Moon is right that taking that deep breath is good because the ending clouds some of that right now.

BTW after watching the presser today, this may shock some a little but I am not sure Francona wants to come back and my gut tells me Epstein isn't going to leave unless asked. My take is Theo doesn't want to walk away from the perceived "mess" and Francona at least right now feels like he has had just about enough of Boston's media and the grind that it brings.

Couldn't blame him if he did feel that way and his tenure being as long as it was may not be seen again for quite some time in a RS manager.

It doesn't feel like it today but being a RS fan is so much more fun than being a fan of so many other teams would be IMO.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nice post katz.

Couldn't blame him if he did feel that way and his tenure being as long as it was may not be seen again for quite some time in a RS manager.

Sometimes, it's a good idea to part ways even if he deserves to stay. Better for him. Better for us.

It doesn't feel like it today but being a RS fan is so much more fun than being a fan of so many other teams would be IMO.  

That is so true! I loved watching the Sox this year. I saw all but one game (many on tape delay). This team fought hard through a lot of tough situations, but ran out of steam. Two straight years of crucial injuries is telling. This team was old and perhaps a bit out of shape. If we don't get younger, I'm going to expect as many injuries again, instead of hoping/expecting for better health every year. I think that is the first lesson I am taking away from 2011.

On paper, getting rid of Wake and VTek would greatly lessen the team average age, but their roles next year, if they return, would be even less than this year's. The Papi decision is they key, followed closely by Paps. Scutty at a $4.5 differential deal makes some sense, but he's an injury waiting to happen as well. Drew's gone and probably Wheeler too. Jenks may be back, but not much will be expected for his $12M dollar deal. This will all be discussed on next year's thread, but I can't help but look at this year's team and think about it being the last time we ever see guys like Papi, Paps, Vtek, Drew and Wake in a Sox uniform.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well that was just down right spooky. That rain delay was killing me. I'll save my rant for some other time. A decimated Pitching staff and not enough timely hitting. You can look at the payroll all you want, but it won't tell you that only 2/3 of the team made it on the field. At the same time, the injury report alone can't explain some poor performances. And again, at the same time, those poor performances don't, and shouldn't reflect so many players on this team that really did have a great year and didn't deserve such an ending to their season. I want to say thanks for a truly awesome, amazing thread all year. Very informative and insanely entertaining. You guys definitely push the envelope on what a baseball forum should be. I don't even have to post anything, I usually just read, and that's fine by me. There's a quote that always pops-up in my head during times like these. " You're only ever truly free, when you've lost everything" ( or something like that, you get my meaning ). Here's hoping a season like this makes them a better team in the future. And as far as being a fan goes... I've been here before too.
    Posted by emp9

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    That's a relevant statement BTW. Fans could cut the pressure of those final games with a knife. We're free from it now, but not from the frustration, the dismay, the embarrassment...

True freedom is when you have nothing left to lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Thanks for taking the time to post this. That's a relevant statement BTW. Fans could cut the pressure of those final games with a knife. We're free from it now, but not from the frustration, the dismay, the embarrassment... True freedom is when you have nothing left to lose.
    Posted by harness

After they lost I switched over to the Rays, and it seemed kinda like taking a long walk to the gallows, the Longoria low liner over the wall, was like Jack Ruby just ending the story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

From a conditioning standpoint I think Doubront was almost definitely an issue. Possibly Lackey and Jenks. Losing Jenks early on was a bigger hit for this team than has been discussed much. 

Losing Buchholz, Matsuzaka, Jenks, Youk, Drew, Hill...etc. hurt this team.  Those 2 starters especially. Buchholz alone might have helped us win another 5-7 games.

So much for shoulda, coulda, woulda though. It gets us nowhere. What can we do going forward?

1) Papelbon is needed. We can't count on Jenks or Bard right? Papelbon could be the highest paid closer in the game after this winter. If not Papelbon, they need to land someone. Papelbon is a proven commodity and I think he comes back.

2) Drew is gone baby gone. That's probably good news as the $14 mil in savings will come in real handy.

3) I think I'd bring Scutty back. Unless we are planning to sign Reyes. If they delay Scutaro a lot, something might be up. I would be extremely hesitant to go for Reyes though but Theo will still have some money burning a hole in his pocket. Sometimes we forget that Adrian gets a $9 mil or so raise this winter. That's a lot of FA cash which will not get spent.

4) Is there much doubt that Lackey and Crawford will still be with us next year?We had better hope that they turn things around. I'll go out on a limb and say they will to a large degree but never be what was advertised.

5) Ortiz should be offered arb. See if he turns it down. Keep in touch and even make him a 2 year deal maybe as long as it's around $10 mil per. If he can get more wave goodbye asap. I don't even want to do the $10 mil per but we owe him and the fans want him back. He has been an institution and in the aggregate I think he is a big plus in the clubhouse. 

6) If they are going to sign any free agents I would hope that it's Wilson, Reyes ( letting Scutaro go ) or Fielder ( letting Papi go ). None are perfect fits though. None will be cost effective for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

And if I were going to lose anyone, it would be Papi. I sincerely think Lavarnway can step in and give us solid performance at DH/catcher and we do have some back up guys available like the reserve OF, Youk...etc. if needed to help out at DH. We can always pick up a stop gap guy if we feel he is needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It was a long tough season for Longoria. Injured and slowly recovering, but the kid (still just 25) ended up with 31 HRs and 99 RBIs! 

It's not just the staff that is young and experienced (a rare but deadly combination). The Rays have some great young talent on the field as well:

24: Jennings
    25: Longoria, Brignac, and B. Guyer
    26: Joyce (.815 OPS), Upton (likely to be dealt), Sean Rodriguez
    27: Jaso, Johnson, and Chirinos
    29: Fuld
    30: Zobrist

But, the staff make me cringe. Most have a lot of playoff and in season crunchtime experience:

22: Matt Moore
    23: Alex Cobb, Alexander Torres
    24: Hellickson, Jake McGee
    25: D. Price, W. Davis
    26: B. Gomes, R. Delaney
    27: C. Ramos, J. Buente, M. Ekstrom
    28: J. Niemann, Howell, Sonnanstine, A. Russell, D. De La Rosa
    29: Shields

Compare their 8 starters (in red) to ours. We have a long way to go this winter.

I'd take Shields or Price over any of our starters, even if they were at equal pay.

I'd take Davis, Niemann, Hellickson, Cobb or Moore over any of our starters except Buch, Beckett and Lester. (I might take Hellickson over any.) Moore could end up being the best of the lot. This is making me feel sick. I better stop now. I feel a TB will not go away 2012 thread brewing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Everything that was wrong and right with the Sox happened in that O's finale.... 1. Lester throws well enough, but its' 6 IP and that's pretty much as far as a Sox SP could go over the last month of the year. 2. Bogar sends Scutaroto his death needlessly. While It might have been Marco's fault for slowing down not sure if the ball would be caught (smart baseball in my mind), where the hell is the 3rd base coach making a decision to hold up Marco once he saw Marco slow down? 3. Pedroia homers and comes through like a MVP. Ellsbury has some key at bats, Scutaro has key at bats. Pretty much the same few Sox who were doing anything for the team were doing it in the finale. 4. Ortiz taps a ball in front of home plate. As good as Papi is in the clutch (or was), here all he had to do was place the ball somewhere, and he inside can't get it 2 feet in his biggest at bat of the season. 5. Aceves comes through...and Bard. Bard fell apart a lot over the last few months of the year and it was a major reason why the team faltered, his blown holds, etc. But Bard did throw a yeomon 8th and did his job and when the team was fantastic for 4 months, he was a main reason the team succeeded. Aceves was the team's MVP and threw 4 times in 4 days....a hero in my mind. 6. I can't blame Papelbon. He deserved a better fate. 1 run is all about 2 hits and with closers, you never know when lights out means your season is over. It happens to all of them and now twice in big, big games for Paps. He had a great season. 7. Francona. For all the ripping this guy has gotten (and some of it justified), in this particular game, he made some good moves and non-moves. I was glad he let Lester work his way out of the 6th despite the walks (some guys would have pulled Jon and it would have been for the truly horrid Albers). He started Lavarnway, now maybe you can say he had no choice, but despite the results, I would have hung him myself had he not played the kid yesterday. And so would have 90 percent of Sox Nation. He played the right 9 yesterday, and he even sent in a pinch runner (again the right move) when Ortiz failed miserably on his last at bat. The team left way too many guys on base. But Tito managed game 162 fine by my eyes. 8. I went on record when they were 2-10 and said they wouldn't make the playoffs. Never have I been more sad that I was proven right. 2-10 starts ultimately come back to haunt you. 20 loss Septembers don't help either. 9. Team was decimated in a lack of SPs (or ones who were reliable), a bullpen that was failing healthwise and performance wise except for Aceves and Papelbon (until the finale). The team's power hitters went into a complete 2nd half tank--you can say goodbye to any more HR derbys for many players based on what has been happening post-All-Star games. Ortiz, AGON did not do their jobs in these important games. Too many wasted at bats. 10. Theo Epstein...Well, I think he showed that you need to do a little more than open pocketbooks and sign checks based on "availability" over "need." His Lackey and CC signings are now legendary failures (CC may never live down of all things a defensive play--Flood took a lot of abuse for a ball that sailed over his head in 68 WS--and CC seemed very slow to react to the liner to LF...where was this speed he supposedly had? He made a great catch earlier on a ball in the stands...oh well.). He did nothing to help the pen or the SP other than acquire a 4 inning pitcher Bedard and a backup OF Jackson. His Aviles acquisition was good overall. His signings of Wheeler and Jenks were not (hard to predict relievers and health). He relied on Miller and he wasn't reliable. His Farm System pitchers did little to help either-Bowden, Doubront, Morales, Weiland, etc...Something to be said about guys who have never been in Boston and how they react to pressure---Crawford and AGON both endured some abuse and unfortunately neither could help the team enough over the last weeks. Beltre was a guy who seemed to do well in Boston, and was a good 3b. But the mind was made up to move Youk to 3b, and well as I said--Youks is a great 1b in my opinion, but a so-so 3b---money is ok to hold on to for the players with lesser contracts so they can OVERSPEND on players they didn't need--Crawford. Not much help from Theo overall. He did a worse job than Francona in that Theo did nothing to help the team at the trade deadline. Francona wasn't much different than he's ever been, including in 04 and 07. Overall, tough season.
    Posted by dannycater

A few points:

On the game, I had no issue with Tito starting Lavernway in that he was the healthy choice. But I thought hitting him 5th in a game like this was dumb. There were already two slow-footed creatures in the #3/4 slots. They needed a more dependable bat to protect Papi/AGONE.

But the real b-o-n-e-r was letting Lavernway hit when they had the bases juiced and one out. Tito had illusions of grandeur with Lavernway the game before. Fact is, he hit two meatballs off southpaws on Tuesday. He wasn't doing anything vs. the RH pitchers in the finale and he had Lowrie/Redick lefty bats wasting on the wood.

Maybe Tito was going by the fact O's reliever Johnson has actually been better vs. lefties. But I knew he'd eat the rookie up. This was a matter of looking beyond a short SS and seeing the situation true. That was the tipping point as Paps lost any cushion in the 9th.

On Scutaro, there was no excuse to hesitate that long on that play. The path of the ball and the position of the outfielders made it a no-brainer. Last year, around April, I started a thread involving Scut, saying I thought his baseball instincts were a joke.

Tito didn't help matters by playing him into the ground last year. This year, Scut really turned it on with the bat in Sept. as he was healthy. But I recall saying to a friend that I didn't think the team would go deep with this guy at SS, which is why I had hoped the team would have given Navarro a shot months ago.
    Scut always finds new ways to screw up. His instincts are as poor as Jake's baserunning instincts.

I do luv Scut as a gamer and he can hit when healthy. But I wonder if his hesitation, which was much longer than Pesky's in '46, will end up how he'll be remembered. Bogar's instincts are just as bad, but that was on Scut.

As for Theo, he got Bedard and Aviles at the deadline, so it's not like he did nothing to help. And if Bedard didn't go down with the lat strain, I think we'd be discussing our pitching rotation against TX, rather than posting with stunned fingers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

And if I were going to lose anyone, it would be Papi. I sincerely think Lavarnway can step in and give us solid performance at DH/catcher and we do have some back up guys available like the reserve OF, Youk...etc. if needed to help out at DH. We can always pick up a stop gap guy if we feel he is needed.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom
    I think you know I am a big fan of Ortiz and felt picking up his option last year was a no brainer. But I agree on your earlier stated thoughts on where the RS should position themselves with Ortiz.

But I am more reluctant to rush Lavarnway and I am sorry but his sample sets are microscopic in AAA. And further if he becomes a DH/C it will be alot more DH than C. Catcher is one of the longest cycles to mature usually and his value as a C is off the charts in the years he is under our control. I have always happened to think and the market reflects it (even Mauer when you think about his deal) that once they hit thirty you can't commit the $$$ and years to them you at any other position. But a great hitting catcher in his arb years. Priceless! It may fit short term plans but at best it limits his growth as a catcher to use him at the start of 2012 as C/DH and if he hits some speed bumps, on a stage like Boston it could really hurt him.

I get the issues with Papelbon or any closer who is big ticket. But ofetn when a team walks while they might avoid the expensive mistake, they seldom move on seamlessly. When the NYY many years ago walked from Wettland, Riveria demonstrated he was ready. When the Angels walked from Percival, K Rod demonstrated he was ready. But when they walked from K-Rod they still haven't quite recovered yet. Bard say what we will, doesn't look ready, though I trust the RS still in their evaluations of their players.

It is other guys potential FA that they have had so many reaches with. The money gets stupid with Papelbon, they have to let him walk but I never thought I'd say this even two months ago, some drop off at DH is going to be easier to overcome than the hole Jonathan Papelbon will leave.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Thanks for taking the time to post this. That's a relevant statement BTW. Fans could cut the pressure of those final games with a knife. We're free from it now, but not from the frustration, the dismay, the embarrassment... True freedom is when you have nothing left to lose.
    Posted by harness

"Freedom's just another word ...
    ... for nothing left to lose"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHkBv-AtKDA&feature=fvst

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Just love reading these posts tonight.  I think you all are right on it.  Katz, I don't know if it's even conditioning I'm talking about.  I think you are referring to it too--attitude and approach, just not being sharp.  And yes, we are lucky to have the Sox.  Having lived here near some other markets for a few years, I realize how lucky we are to have a fan base and management so pro-active.  It just isn't like that in some places.  I just read from today's press conference with Theo.  It surely sounds like he had some issues with chemistry, discussing his talk w/team after a 14-0 win in Toronto.  I also liked the way Theo says this ending forces us to be be more analytical about the team as opposed to the false confidence of having made it into PO's.  Finally, a comment about Lackey.  OK I know he's been a disappointment and hasn't earned his 80 million, I know he's got the worst ERA in the majors or whatever.  But I think our winningest pitcher has thirteen games and Lackey has twelve.  (Yeah, he lost twelve too.)  Should we all be dumping on Lester for not having won 18?  Or Beckett?  I guess my point is that Lackey is not the worst of our problems.  If he wins 15 next year and loses 10, is that not about what we would expect from him?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From MLB Trade Rumors:

ESPN's Jim Bowden (Insider subscription req'd) agrees that the Braves don't need to shake up their roster and suggests that Atlanta could be one of the top suitors for Jose Reyes.Bowden also notes that the Braves have fewer looming issues than their September collapse partners in Boston: "While age and a barren farm system dim the Red Sox's upside going into 2012, the Braves have a much brighter outlook."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

But the real b-o-n-e-r was letting Lavernway hit when they had the bases juiced and one out. Tito had illusions of grandeur with Lavernway the game before. Fact is, he hit two meatballs off southpaws on Tuesday. He wasn't doing anything vs. the RH pitchers in the finale and he had Lowrie/Redick lefty bats wasting on the wood.

Maybe Tito was going by the fact O's reliever Johnson has actually been better vs. lefties. But I knew he'd eat the rookie up. - Harness

I thought at the time it was more an indication of how much Reddick has had his stock fall. But it was an "oh no" moment and punctuated for me by his annoitment to the RS HOF next to Carllton Fisk the night before on BDC as I watched. This last week or so there have been lots of moments I imagined the worst and watched my imagination come to life and Lavarnway with RISP last night was that way more than once. It only stood to reason the way the seaso had turned.

But consider this. It's Tito. He loves splits, works splits and percentages with all but his elite players (be that by reputation and investment like Crawford or by earned "respect" like Ortiz). He'll pull a lot hitters to go guys like a McDonald at key points because the match up works.

The fact we did not have very many Reddick sightings as the season came to a close, tells you there are concerns amongst the management. And they may not just on the field performance but "coachability" Pure speculation on "coachability", I don't know. But Lavarnway being that spot I am sure made Francona unhappy, and unhappier still that this is what he had left to go with.

And there is the other possibility which is Salty and/or Tek would be compromised out in the field and Exposito being thrown cold into a game of that magnitiude scared him more than Lavarnway batting. But my money is on versus a pitcher who eats up LH, Reddick had no appeal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I believe the "true freedom is when you have nothing left to lose" came from a quote by St. Francis Asissi.  When he became a monk,  he was required to give away all earthly possessions.  He went to the town square, gave away all his possessions, even his clothes, and said some form of this quote.  That's what I read somewhere this summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Just love reading these posts tonight.  I think you all are right on it.  Katz, I don't know if it's even conditioning I'm talking about.  I think you are referring to it too--attitude and approach, just not being sharp.  And yes, we are lucky to have the Sox.  Having lived here near some other markets for a few years, I realize how lucky we are to have a fan base and management so pro-active.  It just isn't like that in some places.  I just read from today's press conference with Theo.  It surely sounds like he had some issues with chemistry, discussing his talk w/team after a 14-0 win in Toronto.  I also liked the way Theo says this ending forces us to be be more analytical about the team as opposed to the false confidence of having made it into PO's.  Finally, a comment about Lackey.  OK I know he's been a disappointment and hasn't earned his 80 million, I know he's got the worst ERA in the majors or whatever.  But I think our winningest pitcher has thirteen games and Lackey has twelve.  (Yeah, he lost twelve too.)  Should we all be dumping on Lester for not having won 18?  Or Beckett?  I guess my point is that Lackey is not the worst of our problems.  If he wins 15 next year and loses 10, is that not about what we would expect from him?
    Posted by Critter23
    Crit, Lackey's W-L is proof that W-L is the weakest stat possible to access a pitcher. I agree that finding a 5th starter may be even higher priority (Wake, Miller, Weiland, Doubront just don't cut it).

But Lackey is a huge problem. His WHIP, his ERA, his IP it all unlike 2010 when so many whined about him now is truly tragic. The league is too deep now to have John Lackey make 32 starts next year like his 28 this year. He was hsitorically awful.

Lackey and Crawford may never perform to fans expectations but hey both sure as heck are going to have to vastly improve because as rich as the RS are relative to other MLB teams, they can't afford $35M in dead money. They just don't have the farm system to cover it with rookies who are better. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A look back at a preseason discussion:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a79fe5747-3565-49fb-b987-b09548a58cf6&plckCurrentPage=0

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

5K, It sounds like these two guys are untradable so maybe the old embarrassment factor will kick in next year and these two guys will try to kick it up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

"Not sharp," someone said.
    Tactical moves and lineups can be debated endlessly. So can whether the club was in shape for the long-haul. So can off-season moves. But, IMO, over and above ( or beneath ) all of these issues is that the 2011 Boston Red Sox were not on the whole an alert baseball team. That kind of baseball will catch up with you sooner or later, even if for a long stretch your talent produces the best record in baseball. When the talent sags a bit or wears out or is gutted by injuries, mistakes take a toll that was slipped past in good times.  
    I don't know whether the Sox were more liable to go slack or to make gaffes than were other teams. Harness held my feet to the fire on that issue once, as he should have. All I could say then -- perhaps weakly -- and will say again is that I had then and have now even more so the impression that the team in front of my eyes does not play the game of baseball with conspicuous alertness. Things happen to it more often than they should because it is too often not on top of things. Of course, not everything can be helped, especially in baseball; but the more alert you are, the more things can be helped over the course of a long season. And vice versa.
    I honestly don't where Crawford was positioned on the last play of the game. But with the season on the line, and with his arm, he should have been playing several steps shallower than he otherwise would have been. Ditto Ellsbury. A sinking liner or a blooper was much more of a lethal danger than a ball hit over the outfielders' heads. Once again, I can't say what the defensive alignment was, BUT if it was not correct, the bench should have caught and corrected it. The rule in that situation is that you must take every measure to guard against a ball dropping in front of you. 
    I bring this up even without absolute certainty about the alignment because during the season I observed several puzzling alignments. For one example, Pedey bird-dogging a runner on second when a steal was less a danger in the situation than would have been a ball hit to his left. There were others. Either the bench was not alert or not being very smart. 
    It would be unfair to accuse this club of a general overall slackness, but, IMO, it cannot be held up as an example of how to play the game of baseball.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think Tito deserves to come back, but I think he needs to see that the coaches surrounding him have to do their jobs as well--so I would fire Bogar and Young and maybe even bench coach Hale. That would be a message that the team is chaning its act. Titodoes not need to be axed for the Forum or for anyone else who thinks he is a poor manager. I've always said this about Tito--no one plays the media better as a manager in Boston sports--even Bellichick isn't that good with his PR to the media. And I've always said that despite times where I yell at the TV, or shake my head about lineups or even in-game decisions, he's a 2000s manager. He knows the balance between players egos and management being hasty to throw some guys under a bus. I don't think another manager could come here and do the job he has done--he's not great, but he's ours--and I'm fine with him as manager.
    Posted by dannycater

Very heart-felt statement. And maybe this sentiment will stave off the scape-goating. It's a really hard call at this point. I think Tito is Theo's mouthpiece in many ways. The problem with that is the problem with any yes-man not adequately challenging a GM who has never played the game and has been blind-sided more than once.

The FO lost some good minds because they were alienated by our young GM.
    The people now in place, including the on-field coaches, are a far cry from 2004.
    At this point, I'm not at all confident that either Theo or Tito even know
    where to find the source of the problems. But there's no denying Theo's attributes with scouting and development. And as Katz alluded, a house-cleaning might make matters worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

To: All Red Sox fans, employees and officers and owners and Obama Fair Share Agency

I am not accountabe for Crawford and Lackey contracts this early. My decision to allow Wakefied ceremonial tour was a feel good highlight of the season. Fans need to be patient, injuries to Youk and starting pitching is why team didn't get a chance to succeed. I am having my agent request a 10 year extension for myself and Wakefield and Varitek. We need another term to fix the mess created by prior administration mistakes. Please buy your season tickets early to see Tim Wakefield pass Cy Young in records books. If we can get lucky on injury front like Tampa and NY, we will compete for a wildcard spot. Be patient, and understand that I love the Red Sox as much or more than you do. Take off your shoesa. Put on your Slippersa. Stop complainin!

Thank you for your past and continued support.

I will be available for further media questioning after I attend an Obama $100,000 photo op and play guitar hero and Twister with Peter. I will pay more taxes when Buffet rule is put in place so that fat cats don't pay lower taxes rates than the poor and homeless. Bufffet has his money ready to pay once new law is passed by a new Congress after a vote out of terrorist Tea Party Repubicans blocking my American Jobs and Prosperity Act. They can go straight to hell with all other haters who won't feed and house the record setting jobless and poor.

Warmest Regards,

Theo Goldstein Epstein, Esq.
    General Manager
    Boston Red Sox LLC, A 501(c)(3) Community Organizer Entity
    1600 Jackie Robinson Way
    Fenway Park Suite 101
    Boston, MA (No Zip until new Obama stimulis and Buffet Rule saves Post Office)

Fex Ex, UPS and DHL deliveries c/o Suite 201

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When frustrated people like to blame others. katz makes a good point about getting only 103 starts from our top 5 starters (actually a 110 if you count Dice-K's 10 starts), but did we really expect Dice-K to give us more than 30 starts? Buch getting 26-28 less than hoped for was unexpected, but if it wasn't him, it could have been the oft-injured Beckett instead. Wake (23 starts) was able to carry the load for a good 15 starts, but expecting more asking too much. Miller (12), Bedard (8), Weiland (5) and Aceves (4) were just patchwork gambles at best. The Yanks got 130 starts fromt heir top 5, but also got a solid 27 from Nova. The Rays got an incredible 148 starts from their top 5, but these guys are all young and healthy. As great as these numbers are they won the WC with no wins from David Price in September. Their 6th starter, Alex Cobb at age 23, went 3-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 9 starts. They also got a key start out of Matt Moore at age 22. Starting pitchers is the name of the game down the stretch. Starting depth is key to not having issues like we did in September. Hitting is important. Timely hitting is important, but hard to identify and acquire. It always comes down to who is pitching for us tomorrow, right? 2 aces or near aces is not enough. We need to rebuild our staff from the top, not by getting several #4 slot guys.
    Posted by moonslav59

I can't agree with this Moon. Not when there are proven dogs in the top slots, and Lester/Beckett have strong track records. Getting an arm better than those will be very, very difficult and costly. And while we are mentally paralyzed by the poor pitching for reasons already discussed, it doesn't mean spending a ton more will ease our minds. Pitchers' health is risky business.

I think the best we can realistically hope for is that Theo addresses depth issues and gets a really good sounding board willing to put in the time and effort. I'd like to see Guthrie in a Boston uniform. Rebuilding this present pitching staff is not likely.
    Hard not to like Lester/Beckett/Buich going into any season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Hey H

I think you will like this article.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/9/23/2442511/how-much-of-john-lackeys-performance-is-attributable-to-fenway

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Good Stuff Tom!

I look at Lackey as now being a #5 but no way he's an acceptable # 5 with 2011 numbers.

It may just be that we are going to have one heck of a salary dump, to a team like San Diego where Lackey might well turn back into a sub 4.00 starter again. San Diego likes having fast OF and it's real tough to hit it out. It may be necessary. 

If we could get him back to even a 4.5 ERA he would have some value but I'm not sure that is going to happen. We would be trading low right now and probably have to pay 85% of his salary to move him.

I think they need to make him the number 5 and try to build some value in him again. Live with the consequences and hope they build enough value to move him at some point to a ball park which is more suitable.

In concept, with Boston's fast OF, Lackey should have fit in a little better but Fenway may be a bigger issue than was anticipated. In which kudos to Harness are warranted as he did discuss that earlier.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

One of the issues I kept seeing with Lackey this year is that he just couldn't keep the ball low. His control wasn't the same as earlier. If he gets that ball up people are going to knock it out of the park, especially out of Fenway. I bet he gave up a lot of doubles also.

Sections
Shortcuts