A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

One of the issues I kept seeing with Lackey this year is that he just couldn't keep the ball low. His control wasn't the same as earlier. If he gets that ball up people are going to knock it out of the park, especially out of Fenway. I bet he gave up a lot of doubles also.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, that's a telling piece, Tom. Appreciate it. But I don't put much stock in FIP overall. Obviously, 315 ft. dingers will find leather in most parks.
    I think the wall does play heavily into his BABIP though.

I also see indicators from 2nd half of 2008 that he was in regression due to elbow issue. He had a profoundly lower pct. of QS's. I took the position that his 2010 numbers, once realistically adjusted for Fenway and transition, were damn close to his 2009 ones. This year it appeared he was gonna follow that same trend once he returned from DL. His SO/BB numbers improved immeasurably in June/July. That's a possible indicator of a healthier elbow. But from mid-August on, SO/BB regressed in a big way, again opening up the possibility of a physical issue.

If that's the case, I doubt any team will bite on him unless Henry eats a huge chunk. If he stays, it goes w/o saying the team won't count on him for much beyond lower rotational depth.

Whether Theo likes it or not, he signed a 14-win-a-year pitcher who will not escape being compromised by small confines and good line-ups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The more I think about things, we have to let either Paps go or Ortiz. Or both. 
    If we want to fix the rotation we are going to need some cash. Adrian is going to be a lot more expensive this year ( was it $12 mil more or $15 mil more against the luxury tax limit ). Ellsbury's arb deal could be around $7-$10 mil I would think. Quite a few others get salary increase ( Bard, Pedroia, Lester...). We do clear a lot of salary costs but we are adding some intrinsically also, and we have needs to fix.

It seems to me that this is the time to take the picks for Ortiz, and yes even Papelbon potentially.

A few interesting tidbits:

Type A FA: Ortiz, Papelbon ( 2 picks each )
    Type B FA: Veritek ( 1 pick )
    Type B FA: Wheeler ( not sure on this one because of the option but I think it's potentially 1 pick )
    Type B FA: Scutaro ( EDIT )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A real interesting post regarding Francona. He may be gone before this weekend ends. Maybe even this morning:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, similar links have already hit two threads. He's pushing Theo for a commitment.
    If he walks, he may gain 10 years on his life. Managing in Boston ages people like the oval office.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I've gotta say that it makes a lot of sense to let Veritek go, for both the player and the team. As a type B he will not cost the other team much to sign and we will net a pick. It seems to make a lot of sense to me to replace Tek with Lavarnway. I don't think that precludes Lavarnway from helping us out as DH some as well. When we face LH pitching, we could potentially have both Salty and Lavarnway in the lineup, or slot Youk there some.

In hindsight, there seems to have been a lot of mistakes last off season. One could make a case that letting Beltre go and slotting Youk at 3rd precipitated some of those injuries. Maybe if we had Victor still, we would have been a better team. Crawford was a horrible sign so far. Jenks. I could go on. I think Theo has been great overall but last off season was not good IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, similar links have already hit two threads. He's pushing Theo for a commitment. If he walks, he may gain 10 years on his life. Managing in Boston ages people like the oval office.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I think Tito is a great players manager but every team needs someone to kick them in the rear eventually. At the same time, those hard azz guys like Girardi and Showalter generally have limited life spans also for any team.

Slotting Lavarnway #5 in the last game may be Tito's moment, as Grady had one in keeping Martinez in there. It shouldn' come down to that and probably doesn't come down to that but the team really fell apart. They may completely clean house amoung the coaching staff. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Oh, they'll be cleaning house with the coaches alright. Young and Bogar will be getting pink slips faster than out-of-work contractors in the wintertime.

If they let Tek walk, they have to replace him with a catcher who can enable a pitching staff to allow the team to play .667 baseball - as opposed to .503 ball with Salty.

If you think that's worth a "B" pick, UR not thinking clearly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, similar links have already hit two threads. He's pushing Theo for a commitment. If he walks, he may gain 10 years on his life. Managing in Boston ages people like the oval office.

Perfect; he looks fried. It's not easy dealing with the prima donnas, their agents & hanger ons, the pressure, and the Boston media; and the list of clubhouse paraiahs (outside of Ortiz & Lackey) may be surprising

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scut always finds new ways to screw up. His instincts are as poor as Jake's baserunning instincts. 

He did, however, have great insticts on that double play shuffle.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Interesting, because I was thinking that Tito had now served a full eight years, equivalent to the maximum presidential term. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some of the reports coming out are saying that Francona wants out of Boston.  I think that could be the best way for things to end.  If it's true, the search for a new manager will be an interesting process.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few thoughts:

Not surprised by the news this AM. Seemed to me Franona lost his patience for the media a week ago and that he looked like a guy who was done with it all yesterday.

On the subject of Lackey they have to get him better and that is going to start with Lackey. With everything else going on his life, his focus to that end may be quite a challenge.

I think there is a lot more to Crawford story than meets the eye too. Forget the hitting issues, sloppy and sometimes lazy fielding and a reluctance to run on the bases?

Yes Boom, I agree there probably isn't room on the budget for the closer and the DH.

There is going to a be a weird situation in this town. It has gotten out there that there were chemistry and commitment issues on this team. Now it is only right that management does not air those in public. But in the absence of that, the speculation will only mount and there could be some wild theories and eventual there will be stories.

Some may be shocking to us. But would you be totally shocked to hear that old timers like Wake and Ortiz became "Debbie Downers"? Or that Tek's "old schoool" captain act was a source of fricition with newer guys? Or that coaches became madly frustrated with Crawford and Lackey and/or that those players tried to recruit other players to their cause? Or in a more bizarre twist that A-Gon complained about things from the home clubhouse facilities to the media crush and schedule and found receptive ears.

Going to be great theatre. It always is but this year will be special.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Attitudes not welcomed, so goodbye Ortiz, Lackey, Youk, and Beckett.... bye now!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, they'll be cleaning house with the coaches alright. Young and Bogar will be getting pink slips faster than out-of-work contractors in the wintertime. If they let Tek walk, they have to replace him with a catcher who can enable a pitching staff to allow the team to play .667 baseball - as opposed to .503 ball with Salty. If you think that's worth a "B" pick, UR not thinking clearly.
    I think Tek is gone. We will see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

harness, I don'ty think Scutaro has great instincts, but I think he is aboutr average, That ball was hard to read in slow motion on a TV screen. Marco was running hard. It was a matter of inches.

I can't agree with this Moon. Not when there are proven dogs in the top slots, and Lester/Beckett have strong track records. 

I love Beckett and Lester on our staff. They can both be true aces, however, Beckett has not had a 10 seasons of 23+ start/season sample size. He's never has more than 213 IP, and has been over 201 IP just twice. He has been under 179 six times. He has been out hurt or pitching hurt for a pretty big percent of his career. He has been better in Boston, missing only about 25 starts over 6 years, but his 21 starts last year were not the "real" Beckett. The question always is, which Beckett are we going to get this year, this month, this game.  He was on pace for becomming one of the best "money pitchers" in baseball history, so I still think he has the winner's mentality even today, but he has had rough times when it counts in his last 4 playoff starts and the end of this year. His reliance on VTek is scary. While you know I agree with you on what a value VTek is with pitchers, there's a big concern on why Beckett totally loses it with anyone else. The disparity is frightening. Lester has put up fantastic numbers for 4 straight years. He's been within a pretty tight range of 3.21 to 3.47 ERA and 192 to 208 IP. His WHIP has also been between 1.202 and 1.274- very good. He's been even better in the playoffs (2.57/1.119) in 6 starts. He's ace material for sure. My point is that we need another top pitcher, not becaus these two are bad, but because our competition has had better from the #1 to #8 slots.

Getting an arm better than those will be very, very difficult and costly. And while we are mentally paralyzed by the poor pitching for reasons already discussed, it doesn't mean spending a ton more will ease our minds. Pitchers' health is risky business.

I know it will be costly and risky, but I am convinced we need to try hard to find  solid innings eater ace or #2 type pitcher.

I think the best we can realistically hope for is that Theo addresses depth issues and gets a really good sounding board willing to put in the time and effort. I'd like to see Guthrie in a Boston uniform. Rebuilding this present pitching staff is not likely.
    Hard not to like Lester/Beckett/Buich going into any season.

I'd be happy with 2 Guthrie types. harness, if you had to bet on it, what are the chances that all of our top 3 starters have very good to great seasons in 2012?
    Beckett is about a 60-40 gamble, Lester is about a 90-10 good bet, and Buch with a back injury (which rarely ever get 100% better) is maybe a 70-30 bet. Add these all together and we're probably not going to win a trifecta.

(I hope you appreciate the analogy.)

I have zero confidence in Lackey, Dice or young starters to fill the 4/5 slots. ZERO! Maybe I'm over-reacting to the Ray's staff, but their model has been more successful than ours the last 4 years. They were much better than we were where it counts: pitching. Pitching down the stretch is almost always the biggest key to making the playoffs. They bring back all their starting 5 ... AND... have Alex Cobb and Matt Moore knocking on the door. Both those kids could be better than most of the top 5. The Rays should get vastly better next year, even of they deal away Upton. The pieces they will lose this winter pale compared to last year, and they never spent Manny's money.

I think at worst, we need to sign Buehrle and get a guy like Guthrie. I know Theo won't like having Lackey at the 6 slot, but if he's number #5 we are in trouble. The Yankees got very lucky improving their staff "from the bottom" with garcia and Colon, but that is very hard to repeat. For every Garcia/Colon, there are 50 Penny/Smoltzs.

If it takes losing Papi, Scutaro, and maybe even having to trade Youk in order to get a solid ace and #5 guy or two solid #2-3 guys, I'm thinking thats what I prefer. Pitching wins games. I have always believed that. I thought we had enough this year. It's the first year I can remember where I didn't say starting pitching was a high priority. I was wrong. I did want Cliff Lee over CC, but I'm not going to say we ever could have had him, so the argument is moot. I'm not sure about Wilson. He could easily be the next Lackey. Wilson is 31, but he doesn't have a ton of IP under his belt, since he's only been a starter for 2 years. Trading for an ace would be very costly indeed.

Maybe we could pry Johnny Cueto from Cincy by giving them Youk and some kids. (I'm not saying I like this deal, but to keep the money even, maybe a Youk, Douby & Bard for Cueto & Cordero deal coul get it done.)

Anyway you look at it, Theo is going to have to get creative if Henry's purse string's are not opened. Even if they are, it won't be easy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Few thoughts: Not surprised by the news this AM. Seemed to me Franona lost his patience for the media a week ago and that he looked like a guy who was done with it all yesterday. On the subject of Lackey they have to get him better and that is going to start with Lackey. With everything else going on his life, his focus to that end may be quite a challenge. I think there is a lot more to Crawford story than meets the eye too. Forget the hitting issues, sloppy and sometimes lazy fielding and a reluctance to run on the bases? Yes Boom, I agree there probably isn't room on the budget for the closer and the DH. There is going to a be a weird situation in this town. It has gotten out there that there were chemistry and commitment issues on this team. Now it is only right that management does not air those in public. But in the absence of that, the speculation will only mount and there could be some wild theories and eventual there will be stories. Some may be shocking to us. But would you be totally shocked to hear that old timers like Wake and Ortiz became "Debbie Downers"? Or that Tek's "old schoool" captain act was a source of fricition with newer guys? Or that coaches became madly frustrated with Crawford and Lackey and/or that those players tried to recruit other players to their cause? Or in a more bizarre twist that A-Gon complained about things from the home clubhouse facilities to the media crush and schedule and found receptive ears. Going to be great theatre. It always is but this year will be special.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I was a bit surprised that many posters disagreed with me about lackey showing up his teammates and coach several times this year. It's bad enough when a great player does it, but Lackey was our worst regular player this year. That's gotta hurt team morale and cohesiveness. I don't see how VTek was a "debbie downer" type at all. I think the recent AGon revelation is telling. Papi, who is this team's biggest hero of all time, not running out grounders and statueing long HR poses is not helpful as well. Players missing games with hang nails, out of condition players, lack of hustle, especially when the games really counted, and a  "player's coach" loyalist manager all contributed. Changes need to be made.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Buch with a back injury (which rarely ever get 100% better) is maybe a 70-30 bet

Mr Moon

Stress fractures generally are not a long term concern.  They are unrelated to the most common cause of lower back pain, which is degenerative joint disease.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

It is time to get realistic here and accept the fact that the Red Sox have to rebuild which will take several years. Expecting the playoffs next year is unrealistic. Do you guys want another round of overpaid free agents and/or trading away OUR prospects (which are now very few and far between) for overpaid players. I submit WE trade away our overpaid slugs for viable prospects of other teams and do not under any circumstance pay a high price for any free agent. It has to start with our farm system. Lets get other teams prospects, accept the losing for a few years, get high draft picks, lower the budget significantly and enjoy the rebirth of a new team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I was a bit surprised that many posters disagreed with me about lackey showing up his teammates and coach several times this year. It's bad enough when a great player does it, but Lackey was our worst regular player this year. That's gotta hurt team morale and cohesiveness. I don't see how VTek was a "debbie downer" type at all. I think the recent AGon revelation is telling. Papi, who is this team's biggest hero of all time, not running out grounders and statueing long HR poses is not helpful as well. Players missing games with hang nails, out of condition players, lack of hustle, especially when the games really counted, and a  "player's coach" loyalist manager all contributed. Changes need to be made.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Moon just to clarify, I was saying Wake was a "Debbie Downer" not Tek. Wake is percieved as this "whatever the team needs" guy but the sound bites with the media over the year often contradict that. He was in such a funk about his removal from the rotation in 2010 he would not talk to Francona for 5 days. He whined in 2005 when Tito skipped over him for one start in the launching pad better known as Coors Field. There are others. That's all I was saying.

The Tek comment is he is an old school guy. He isn't exactly a Millar kind of leader. Did younger players or newer players to the RS tune him out?

A-Gon? No doubt the "unique" nature of Boston, probably from sub-standard clubhouse facilities that the ancient Fenway dictates, schedule issues being the Rs and other stuff wore on him.

Papi I think may have been more than just a show boat that did not run out grounders. Fill in the blanks but papi has become an increasingly myopic star who stops just short of talking about himself in the third person at moments and was pizzed off the RS did not extend him last year or during the season.

My gut tells me Crawford probably became a great source of polarization amongst others but that's my gut. Did guys start to second guess Buch and or others over injuries? After the garbage with Ellsbury hard to dismiss.

Hey we are all spit balling here because that is what we are left in the face of the little bit the RS as to the specifics. I am not buying everything in the media either because they IMHO are doing the same.

Personally chemistry wasn't the undoing of the team, maybe it made the collapse so absolute that this team missed the playoffs.

But the lack of starting pitching in September made a room with the type of problems lots of teams have within their inner workings explode. It may have cost them 5 games in September so it cost them the playoffs. But this team, with that starting pitching was going nowhere near a WS appearance.

Winning makes for chemistry, losing kills it. Let's hope the RS don't use the chemistry to ignore the fact that this team's pitching depth stinks. Or that Carl Crawford can not play as badly as he did. I don't think we have really totally reconciled yet just how awful his year was. It wasn't just a bad year hitting. His defense blew chunks, he was reluctant to use his speed the 29% of the time he was lucky enough to get OB and his baseball instincts were at best poor. He is in the place holder of a star by contract and if he was a guy with options, he surely would have been sent down to AAA. That has to change. He makes Rentaria, Lugo and Drew look like brilliant RS signings today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Buch with a back injury (which rarely ever get 100% better) is maybe a 70-30 bet Mr Moon Stress fractures generally are not a long term concern.  They are unrelated to the most common cause of lower back pain, which is degenerative joint disease.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, but scar tissue formation and inflamation can persist in these types of injuries as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Moon, isn't it time for a new Thread titled "A Realistic Look at 2012: Part I"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : I hope you are right, but scar tissue formation and inflamation can persist in these types of injuries as well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]Time will tell Moon but it certainly sounds like the very conservative approach the RS took with him prevented slipped disk or the type of damage that is more likely to recur. but it is fair to question the risks.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]It is time to get realistic here and accept the fact that the Red Sox have to rebuild which will take several years. Expecting the playoffs next year is unrealistic. Do you guys want another round of overpaid free agents and/or trading away OUR prospects (which are now very few and far between) for overpaid players. I submit WE trade away our overpaid slugs for viable prospects of other teams and do not under any circumstance pay a high price for any free agent. It has to start with our farm system. Lets get other teams prospects, accept the losing for a few years, get high draft picks, lower the budget significantly and enjoy the rebirth of a new team.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

This is certainly a valid position to take. I might disagree with your take on our chances for next year's playoffs. If we have a healthy Buch and a 5.00 ERA from Lackey, that alone could be enough to get us in with no big FA pick-ups.

I could cetainly see a change in philosophy. I could see Theo letting Papi, Wake, Vtek, Scutaro, Drew, and Wheeler walk. He might even pay 90% of Lackey's contract and trade him somewhere cushy and laidback where he can do better. I could then see Theo trading Youk (maybe to Cincinatti for some youth). If all this happens, I could still see us compete next year, with just a few pick-ups like Buehrle, Edwin Jackson, R. Hernandez(C) and Willingham.

DH/C: Lavarnway
    C: Salty/Hernandez
    1B: AGon
    2B: Pedey
    SS: Aviles/Iglesias/Lowrie
    3B: Middlebrooks (Aviles/Lowrie)
    LF: Crawford/DMac
    CF: Ellsbury
    RF: Willingham/Reddick/Kalish

S1: Beckett
    S2: Lester
    S3: Buch
    S4: Buehrle
    S5: Jackson
    S6: Tazawa/ Doubront/Weiland/Ranaudo (Dice-K in August)

R1: Papelbon
    R2: Bard
    R3: Aceves
    R4: Jenks
    R5: Morales
    R6: Albers/Atchison/Bowden

I wouldn't say this team would be the favorite, but they could certainly win more than 90.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon just to clarify, I was saying Wake was a "Debbie Downer" not Tek. Wake is percieved as this "whatever the team needs" guy but the sound bites with the media over the year often contradict that. He was in such a funk about his removal from the rotation in 2010 he would not talk to Francona for 5 days. He whined in 2005 when Tito skipped over him for one start in the launching pad better known as Coors Field. There are others. That's all I was saying.

I think you may be taking some of his statements from Wake out of context while also leaving many of his unselfish statements and actions over his career hear out. Wake is a fierce competitor. He has said some questionable things that undermine the authority of the manager and GM, but his statements pale compare to many other player's statements and actions that are not disected as readily as Wake's.

The Tek comment is he is an old school guy. He isn't exactly a Millar kind of leader. Did younger players or newer players to the RS tune him out? 

The Millar type leader doesn't work for every team. VTek is about as opposite from Millar as you can be. Maybe we did need a Millar, but I find it hard to fault VTek as a leader. We win when he catches. he's always 200% prepared. he even got some clutch hits. 

A-Gon? No doubt the "uniquefor" nature of Boston, probably from sub-standard clubhouse facilities that the ancient Fenway dictates, schedule issues being the Rs and other stuff wore on him. 

He has some valid points about the facilities in this modern era, but spouting off about them was not helpful at all. It does lead to the "Debbie Downer" syndrome.

Papi I think may have been more than just a show boat that did not run out grounders. Fill in the blanks but papi has become an increasingly myopic star who stops just short of talking about himself in the third person at moments and was pizzed off the RS did not extend him last year or during the season. 

His talk after Manny left irked me. Jason bay did great for us, but Papi, in effect slammed him, by saying we never replaced Manny.

My gut tells me Crawford probably became a great source of polarization amongst others but that's my gut. Did guys start to second guess Buch and or others over injuries? After the garbage with Ellsbury hard to dismiss. 

It's hard not to look at a guy next to you making 2 to 40 times what you make, who is stinking up the place and seemingly not hustling, and have it not effect your feelings about the club.

Hey we are all spit balling here because that is what we are left in the face of the little bit the RS as to the specifics. I am not buying everything in the media either because they IMHO are doing the same. 

I agree 100% here.

Personally chemistry wasn't the undoing of the team, maybe it made the collapse so absolute that this team missed the playoffs.

True, but it might have been a 2 game differential.

But the lack of starting pitching in September made a room with the type of problems lots of teams have within their inner workings explode. It may have cost them 5 games in September so it cost them the playoffs. But this team, with that starting pitching was going nowhere near a WS appearance. 

Winning makes for chemistry, losing kills it. Let's hope the RS don't use the chemistry to ignore the fact that this team's pitching depth stinks. Or that Carl Crawford can not play as badly as he did. I don't think we have really totally reconciled yet just how awful his year was. It wasn't just a bad year hitting. His defense blew chunks, he was reluctant to use his speed the 29% of the time he was lucky enough to get OB and his baseball instincts were at best poor. He is in the place holder of a star by contract and if he was a guy with options, he surely would have been sent down to AAA. That has to change. He makes Rentaria, Lugo and Drew look like brilliant RS signings today. 

It amazed me how bad CC looked. The guy has one of the hardest working off-seasons of any MLB player, yet he looked out of breath and our of sorts all year long. He and lackey can't get any worse next year.