A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

I'm biting my tongue not to admit that Softy was right about Lowrie's durability.

Does anyone know what in the world is going on with him?  I read 'inflammed nerve'.  When is he due back?  Anyway, I hope my reservations about his durability is as far off as I've been on other thoughts.  Yet, we can't ignore the amount of time he's been off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Jid, you raised your kids well. Perhaps, we don't know the whole story. Lackey may have told his teammates (behind closed doors) that he is more angry at himself and not them. If the accept it, then I'm OK with it, but to me, it seems like he is "showing them up". This Sox defense will "pick him up" more than others, so he has no right to make them look bad by pouting and throwing temper tantrums on the mound after they make a mistake. It puts undo pressure on the fileders and gets them distracted for the following plays. Nobody plays better when they are being yelled at or if they feel someone is judging them harshly on every play. As for swearing at Tito: it is disrespectful. I don't care what his motives are. I can only imagine what would have happened if Williams let up an HR. Lackey has been horrible this year. Yes, he has had distractions. Yes, we knew what we were getting: he did this in LA too. Yes, we need him to keep up his recent pace. But, no, we don't have to put up with this crahp.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree, Moon.

I know it was a different era, but I can only imagine what would have happened to Lackey if Dick Williams was managing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Breslow is a good example I was wondering if anyone would bring up. He had no business making it but he did. He went to Yale also didn't he?

I wish we had a better SS but I'd still go with Scutaro unless Lowrie gets healthy soon, and a good trade should be considered also. 

Amp, I'm not pigeon holing Lavarnway as a DH but all reports are that his defense at catcher isn't ready. Maybe he catches in 2013 or maybe they slot him as the reserve catcher in 2012. I'm just saying he is probably not the solution this year at catcher.

Harness, I believe Lavarnway was a right fielder his freshman year in college. Due to graduation and an injury the team needed a catcher so he volunteered. He went on that year to win the NCAA batting championships. Due to his complete lack of speed, he had virtually no chance to make it in the bigs as a right fielder. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, nothing wrong with a RH DH to PH and compliment Papi.
    If Lavarnway is the real goods with the stick, it may affect the Papi negotiations this winter. The team needs to find out what Lavarnway can do at the M.L. level.

EDIT: I always liked Breshlow. I felt they were short-sighted not protecting him. A LH reliever who can throw 90-91 deserves better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

It'd be nice if we bunted once in a while....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I'm biting my tongue not to admit that Softy was right about Lowrie's durability. Does anyone know what in the world is going on with him?  I read 'inflammed nerve'.  When is he due back?  Anyway, I hope my reservations about his durability is as far off as I've been on other thoughts.  Yet, we can't ignore the amount of time he's been off.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Even a broken clock is right a couple times a day.

I think it is still too early to call Jed "injury prone". His mono was a fluke. He's basically had 2 injuries, with one (wrist) lasting in parts of 2 seperate seasons.

I wonder why softy never speaks of Dice-K's many injuries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

That would be racist Moon;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

"While Gonzalez has been amazingly productive, a key to his success has been the ability of Ellsbury and Pedroia getting on base in front of him; only Ryan Howard has come to the plate with more runners on base this season than Gonzalez"

Howard 73 and Teixeira 66 have better RBI totals than Morse 49 and Lind 52.  Yet the latter two have better slugging numbers.  All too often RBI is not considered on a rate basis.

"The most interesting thing about Pedroia’s season is his walk rate. With 63 walks, he’s on pace for 113. His previous career high is 74."

Pedroia has had a great year, I would say better than AGon if defense is properly credited.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, on Lackey, I posted on the Antics thread that my feeling is I focus on performance. I think what too many fans get caught up in is emotional outbursts by players. Always superceding what the player is doing to help his team win by his performance.

1. Carl Everett was the team's 2nd best hitter behind Nomar back in the day and went downhill right after the umpire head-butt incident. Shaughnessy had a field day with his antics and crazy behavior. Ultimately he was a nutcase, but one wonders if he wasn't in that "fish bowl" would he have continued to perform at a high enough level as a hitter/CF. I thought Everett was in a lineup where he was the show besides Nomar, and that is a lot to put on a black player in Boston.
    2. Manny's antics from the fun, but sometimes head-scratching defensive plays (although he still hit the cutoff man better than 90 percent of today's OFs and his throws were text-book one hoppers to 2nd, 3rd or home. very efficient). And then the don't run out the tapper to the pitcher incident in Tampa, which ESPN ran in highlights 7,000 times, and this Sox forum went haywire over as well. Forgetting that Manny was the best right-handed hitter in baseball not named AROD at the time. Um, Manny was out by 70 feet, tell me again why he has to run full throttle to first? To satisfy the fans.
    3. Nomar's complaining. Here's the opposite of Manny/Ortiz. Here's the guy who runs out every ball like it's life or death. Yet, when push came to shove, Sox fans turned on him (and the media always wanted blood with his lack of comments) during the contract negotiations and the first part of 2004. Remember, Nomar didn't exactly play poorly in '03 and his team was inches of being in the WS. It's not like SS has meant a lot to Sox (think '07 Sox WS title team). I thought it was ironic that the famous Jeter goes into stands game, that Nomar was accused of "jaking" by everyone, mostly Tito/Theo. Justification to trade him is what I think really was done in that moment (yes, it turned out gold with Cabrera). Here's a guy who bled Sox red for years, and people made him out like he was the anti-christ despite the fact that he hustled better than any guy in baseball.
    ....just a few examples.

Lackey is a moron, acts like a Texas local yokel who must pump his arms and look disgusted if any ball is not caught or any IF can't make the perfect play for him. I attacked him for his performance, especially in the Toronto game. But with injuries and a short-hand Sox rotation, he threw a good game v. the Orioles and then at least didn't get too hurt v. Tampa. 2 wins for Sox. That's all I care about. Help the team win. It's what I believe Wakefield has done for years and years and years. Help the team win.

Tony Clark, Darren Lewis, Edgar Renteria...fine gentlemen, classy guys on and off the field. Did not help team win. Their performance on the field is what I focused on and I felt guys like them were cancers on the field. Clark couldn't hit, Lewis couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, and Renteria couldn't field a routine grounder if Cliff Johnson was running.  I want performance. I don't care about antics or showmanship. Ortiz likes to watch the balls fly out of the park, so let him deal with the aftermath. As long as he hits for power, he can have a lawn chair, sip a pina colada and read the paper before he starts to jog the bases on a HR. Performance first. And yes, Lackey, for the most part has been a giant disappointment and giant failure signing by Theo. But don't forget, many of us were ripping that signing from the get go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]"While Gonzalez has been amazingly productive, a key to his success has been the ability of Ellsbury and Pedroia getting on base in front of him; only Ryan Howard has come to the plate with more runners on base this season than Gonzalez" Howard 73 and Teixeira 66 have better RBI totals than Morse 49 and Lind 52.  Yet the latter two have better slugging numbers.  All too often RBI is not considered on a rate basis. "The most interesting thing about Pedroia’s season is his walk rate. With 63 walks, he’s on pace for 113. His previous career high is 74." Pedroia has had a great year , I would say better than AGon if defense is properly credited .
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Pedey is the "spark" of this team... the heart and soul. Since his slow start, he has been the leagues best player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]moon, on Lackey, I posted on the Antics thread that my feeling is I focus on performance. I think what too many fans get caught up in is emotional outbursts by players. Always superceding what the player is doing to help his team win by his performance. 1. Carl Everett was the team's 2nd best hitter behind Nomar back in the day and went downhill right after the umpire head-butt incident. Shaughnessy had a field day with his antics and crazy behavior. Ultimately he was a nutcase, but one wonders if he wasn't in that "fish bowl" would he have continued to perform at a high enough level as a hitter/CF. I thought Everett was in a lineup where he was the show besides Nomar, and that is a lot to put on a black player in Boston. 2. Manny's antics from the fun, but sometimes head-scratching defensive plays (although he still hit the cutoff man better than 90 percent of today's OFs and his throws were text-book one hoppers to 2nd, 3rd or home. very efficient). And then the don't run out the tapper to the pitcher incident in Tampa, which ESPN ran in highlights 7,000 times, and this Sox forum went haywire over as well. Forgetting that Manny was the best right-handed hitter in baseball not named AROD at the time. Um, Manny was out by 70 feet, tell me again why he has to run full throttle to first? To satisfy the fans. 3. Nomar's complaining. Here's the opposite of Manny/Ortiz. Here's the guy who runs out every ball like it's life or death. Yet, when push came to shove, Sox fans turned on him (and the media always wanted blood with his lack of comments) during the contract negotiations and the first part of 2004. Remember, Nomar didn't exactly play poorly in '03 and his team was inches of being in the WS. It's not like SS has meant a lot to Sox (think '07 Sox WS title team). I thought it was ironic that the famous Jeter goes into stands game, that Nomar was accused of "jaking" by everyone, mostly Tito/Theo. Justification to trade him is what I think really was done in that moment (yes, it turned out gold with Cabrera). Here's a guy who bled Sox red for years, and people made him out like he was the anti-christ despite the fact that he hustled better than any guy in baseball. ....just a few examples. Lackey is a moron, acts like a Texas local yokel who must pump his arms and look disgusted if any ball is not caught or any IF can't make the perfect play for him. I attacked him for his performance, especially in the Toronto game. But with injuries and a short-hand Sox rotation, he threw a good game v. the Orioles and then at least didn't get too hurt v. Tampa. 2 wins for Sox. That's all I care about. Help the team win. It's what I believe Wakefield has done for years and years and years. Help the team win. Tony Clark, Darren Lewis, Edgar Renteria...fine gentlemen, classy guys on and off the field. Did not help team win. Their performance on the field is what I focused on and I felt guys like them were cancers on the field. Clark couldn't hit, Lewis couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, and Renteria couldn't field a routine grounder if Cliff Johnson was running.  I want performance. I don't care about antics or showmanship. Ortiz likes to watch the balls fly out of the park, so let him deal with the aftermath. As long as he hits for power, he can have a lawn chair, sip a pina colada and read the paper before he starts to jog the bases on a HR. Performance first. And yes, Lackey, for the most part has been a giant disappointment and giant failure signing by Theo. But don't forget, many of us were ripping that signing from the get go.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yes, you were right from day one about the signing. I was wrong.

I am extremely happy with his permformance the past 2 games. We need this guy to help carry us through these starter injuries. That being said, I have never seen a pitcher show up his teammates and manager to that extent in a single game. The Reggie Jackson-Billy Martin incident was just player to manager and manager to player. Lackey is putting undo pressures and distractions on his teammates, some of who are young and impressionable. He should be made to apologize (if he hasn't been already) behind closed doors).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]moon, on Lackey, I posted on the Antics thread that my feeling is I focus on performance. I think what too many fans get caught up in is emotional outbursts by players. Always superceding what the player is doing to help his team win by his performance. 1. Carl Everett was the team's 2nd best hitter behind Nomar back in the day and went downhill right after the umpire head-butt incident. Shaughnessy had a field day with his antics and crazy behavior. Ultimately he was a nutcase, but one wonders if he wasn't in that "fish bowl" would he have continued to perform at a high enough level as a hitter/CF. I thought Everett was in a lineup where he was the show besides Nomar, and that is a lot to put on a black player in Boston. 2. Manny's antics from the fun, but sometimes head-scratching defensive plays (although he still hit the cutoff man better than 90 percent of today's OFs and his throws were text-book one hoppers to 2nd, 3rd or home. very efficient). And then the don't run out the tapper to the pitcher incident in Tampa, which ESPN ran in highlights 7,000 times, and this Sox forum went haywire over as well. Forgetting that Manny was the best right-handed hitter in baseball not named AROD at the time. Um, Manny was out by 70 feet, tell me again why he has to run full throttle to first? To satisfy the fans. 3. Nomar's complaining. Here's the opposite of Manny/Ortiz. Here's the guy who runs out every ball like it's life or death. Yet, when push came to shove, Sox fans turned on him (and the media always wanted blood with his lack of comments) during the contract negotiations and the first part of 2004. Remember, Nomar didn't exactly play poorly in '03 and his team was inches of being in the WS. It's not like SS has meant a lot to Sox (think '07 Sox WS title team). I thought it was ironic that the famous Jeter goes into stands game, that Nomar was accused of "jaking" by everyone, mostly Tito/Theo. Justification to trade him is what I think really was done in that moment (yes, it turned out gold with Cabrera). Here's a guy who bled Sox red for years, and people made him out like he was the anti-christ despite the fact that he hustled better than any guy in baseball. ....just a few examples. Lackey is a moron, acts like a Texas local yokel who must pump his arms and look disgusted if any ball is not caught or any IF can't make the perfect play for him. I attacked him for his performance, especially in the Toronto game. But with injuries and a short-hand Sox rotation, he threw a good game v. the Orioles and then at least didn't get too hurt v. Tampa. 2 wins for Sox. That's all I care about. Help the team win. It's what I believe Wakefield has done for years and years and years. Help the team win. Tony Clark, Darren Lewis, Edgar Renteria...fine gentlemen, classy guys on and off the field. Did not help team win. Their performance on the field is what I focused on and I felt guys like them were cancers on the field. Clark couldn't hit, Lewis couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, and Renteria couldn't field a routine grounder if Cliff Johnson was running.  I want performance. I don't care about antics or showmanship. Ortiz likes to watch the balls fly out of the park, so let him deal with the aftermath. As long as he hits for power, he can have a lawn chair, sip a pina colada and read the paper before he starts to jog the bases on a HR. Performance first. And yes, Lackey, for the most part has been a giant disappointment and giant failure signing by Theo. But don't forget, many of us were ripping that signing from the get go.

Funny stuff.
    I know where Ur coming from. Don't underestimate the fact Lackey gave his team a legit chance to win in over 70% of the games he started last year.
    He reacted as he did because he felt Tito slighted him, but owned up to it afterwards.

You were unhappy that the team had Wake as the insurance starter - that there was no need to carry more than 5 starters.
    Perhaps this year will alter that mind-set.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no, not so much unhappy, frustrated for Wakefield in that he has been healthy pretty much since last year. For the most part, if he throws regularly, meaning every 5/6 days, he's pretty effective. When he sits for a long period, he is not, and has not been effective, and when he bounces from pen to starter, he's also not as good as he has been when he's simply "in the rotation."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's in the past. Wake is now where he belongs  - in the SR.
    Funny thing about Wake: He pitches better when he is on the hot seat - when and feels he has something to prove.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]no, not so much unhappy, frustrated for Wakefield in that he has been healthy pretty much since last year. For the most part, if he throws regularly, meaning every 5/6 days, he's pretty effective. When he sits for a long period, he is not, and has not been effective, and when he bounces from pen to starter, he's also not as good as he has been when he's simply "in the rotation."

We'll never know how Wake would have done had he started the first game after the break. 12 days off was a lot, but even if he started Friday, it would still have been 9 days off.

Last year's yo-yo was absurd.

This year Wake did have a great 1st start after sporadic relief work (5.2 IP  3 H  1 ER). 5 days later he had his worst start (4.1/9/6). 11 days later he got his 3rd start and did well (6.2/4/1) He's been a regular starter since. The allstar break usually gives everyone a few more days off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I was encouraged by Morale's outing.
    Weiland's 2nd start should be interesting.
    Miller may end up being on the hot seat.

As they say, competition is the lifeblood of (the) trade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's hard to believe that we are hanging in there with this rotation but the bats are so good right now that we are just intimidating the opposition into submission!

Neither Weiland, Wakefield or Miller look like anything more than #5 starters to me. At some point soon we may well make a move there as catcher seems to have solidified and RF seems to be a problem solved. It looks like we will need a number 5 next year as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

A new avatar in honor of Softy's pal Rupert, who will effectively take the 5th a record number of times before Paliament today along with his son and corporate lackey who was put in charge for something other than stellar corporate ethics. As the top 2 police officials in the UK resigned yesterday due to the bribery scandal and the initial whistleblower was found dead. Fox News at it's finest hour.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]"While Gonzalez has been amazingly productive, a key to his success has been the ability of Ellsbury and Pedroia getting on base in front of him; only Ryan Howard has come to the plate with more runners on base this season than Gonzalez" Howard 73 and Teixeira 66 have better RBI totals than Morse 49 and Lind 52.  Yet the latter two have better slugging numbers.  All too often RBI is not considered on a rate basis. "The most interesting thing about Pedroia’s season is his walk rate. With 63 walks, he’s on pace for 113. His previous career high is 74." Pedroia has had a great year , I would say better than AGon if defense is properly credited .
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Wow, if that isn't a cool avatar I don't know what is! The guy who is constantly behind the catcher in all home games! Lady Gaga should offer him a fortune for those seats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Thoughts on the 40 man roster later this year? I read that while Dice is not currently on the 40 man roster because he is on the 60 disabled list, he will go on the list during the off season which could cause the Sox to lose a potentially decent prospect to the rule 5 draft this year. It is very doubtful that Dice will ever make it back during his current contract and even more doubtful the Sox would ever resign him. So do the Sox remove him from the 40 man roster come fall?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]Breslow is a good example I was wondering if anyone would bring up. He had no business making it but he did. He went to Yale also didn't he? I wish we had a better SS but I'd still go with Scutaro unless Lowrie gets healthy soon, and a good trade should be considered also.  Amp, I'm not pigeon holing Lavarnway as a DH but all reports are that his defense at catcher isn't ready. Maybe he catches in 2013 or maybe they slot him as the reserve catcher in 2012. I'm just saying he is probably not the solution this year at catcher. Harness, I believe Lavarnway was a right fielder his freshman year in college. Due to graduation and an injury the team needed a catcher so he volunteered. He went on that year to win the NCAA batting championships. Due to his complete lack of speed, he had virtually no chance to make it in the bigs as a right fielder. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Hey Boomer, interesting thoughts on Lavarnay, but the supposed best catching prospect in baseball resides in the Yanks farm system. They say he is less than adequate defensively, same as Lavarnay. Right now Lavarnay if outperforming him offensively. So what does this tell us?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Thoughts on the 40 man roster later this year? I read that while Dice is not currently on the 40 man roster because he is on the 60 disabled list, he will go on the list during the off season which could cause the Sox to lose a potentially decent prospect to the rule 5 draft this year. It is very doubtful that Dice will ever make it back during his current contract and even more doubtful the Sox would ever resign him. So do the Sox remove him from the 40 man roster come fall?
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Can't they just keep him on the 60 day DL through next year as well?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Can't they just keep him on the 60 day DL through next year as well?

I read that during the off season all injured players have to be protected on the 40 man roster, i was also quite shocked by this. I believe i read it on Sox prospects this morning, but i was looking at a lot of sites. so i could be mistaken, I will try to find the story where i saw this, but it was a credible site.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, what if we don't "protect him"?

Will someone grab him?

Would it matter if they did?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Can't they just keep him on the 60 day DL through next year as well?

My bad Moon, its only players on the 15 day disabled list that count, not the 60 day. But this article makes some good points about the Sox and the 40 man

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/12540/projecting-sox-decisions-on-40-man-roster

Sections
Shortcuts