A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III :   OK, it's not mediocre if we look at him as a AAA player but there is nothing there which indicates a solid mlb level player. Relatively little pop or obp or even average as a career OF. Not a good defensive CF and not enough pop for a starting level corner OF. Look at his career averages at each minor league team since he was drafted in 1997: .260 .261 .222 .266 .242 .248 .282 .238 .290 .292 .289 .296 .234 .281 .284 .270 .292 .297 .315 .277 .268 .314 .341 .345 And his HR totals also stink. This guy has 5734 minor league plate appearances. A career .273 minor league average as an OF.  A total of 99 minor league HR in 14 seasons.  A career minor league OBP of .333 even as a career minor league guy. This guy is probably out of the majors for good after this year.  
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]I can't argue with that. All I can say is that really highlights just how little the RS thought of the chances of Cameron being useful to them as a 38 year old platoon player.

I am not making the case that Darnell is anything great BTW only that the RS must have felt that Darnell had a better chance of being of some use to them as a platoon player than Mike did at this point. Darnell was the less expensive and less embarrassing player to DFA. Just seems obvious to me...

Just my take

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"When a player ages it can be a precipitous drop."

Youk's looking old and appears to be having a hard time recouping from being nicked up.   

There's got to be an equipment manufacturer that makes some kind of guard that could protect his lower leg and foot area that he could wear when batting.  I don't think slowing him down would be an issue since the Sun's daily cycle is quicker then Youk getting down the line.

edit:  Youk is wearing some sort of protection on his lower leg.  Good move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I had concerns about moving Youk back to the hot corner. He had been showing signs of breaking down recently and playing 1B seemed easier. I'm still glad we got AGon, but boom's position of keeping Beltre did have that advantage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III :   OK, it's not mediocre if we look at him as a AAA player but there is nothing there which indicates a solid mlb level player. Relatively little pop or obp or even average as a career OF. Not a good defensive CF and not enough pop for a starting level corner OF. Look at his career averages at each minor league team since he was drafted in 1997: .260 .261 .222 .266 .242 .248 .282 .238 .290 .292 .289 .296 .234 .281 .284 .270 .292 .297 .315 .277 .268 .314 .341 .345 And his HR totals also stink. This guy has 5734 minor league plate appearances. A career .273 minor league average as an OF.  A total of 99 minor league HR in 14 seasons.  A career minor league OBP of .333 even as a career minor league guy. This guy is probably out of the majors for good after this year.  
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Nice data.

I would certainly take a .260 hitter as a 5th outfileder, wouldn't you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Too bad the Sox didn't have the big inning an inning earlier. It would have been nice for Wake to get a cheap win for once.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

One more win on this trip and it's at least 4-5. Not bad, considering...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are winning now, because I'm not going to the games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III : Nice data. I would certainly take a .260 hitter as a 5th outfileder, wouldn't you?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Those were minor league stats only! I don't think boston ever expected McDonald to pan out last year but he started the year in AAA ball hitting around .340. They brought him up and he did well. There is just no indication that he would be able to maintain it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

McDonald has been a career minor league player for the most part in his 14 year career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I realize that. I do think sporadic playing time has affected any continuity.
    Last year, he had a better rhythm going. Personally,I wasn't for signing him.
    Nothing against Mac. I just felt he'd be wasted on the bench, when he'd get more PT with another, non-contending team. But he really isn't good enough to be a starter, hence the dilemma.

I felt the team had adequate depth at AAA to carry 4 outfielders, albeit most were LH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

My sense is that Boston doesn't want to go over the luxury tax limit. They have to move some salary in order to pick up anyone significant unless they include some minor league talent in the deal. I think we end up giving Reddick a solid shot in RF. We use the farm for pen needs and starter replacements. They may do a small deal but it will take significant minor league talent to land anyone significant. Who knows what will happen but that is my sense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The obvious problem is that they need a decent RH bat in the line-up vs. southpaws. If Mac can't fill that role soon, a bridge move of some kind should be made. I doubt it'll be very costly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Theo will scrap heap it; if Cashman can do it, anybody can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DMac's ML numbers from 2009-2010:
    .269/.329/.422/.751 (wOBP .335) WAR +0.9 in 474 PAs

DMac's ML numbers from 2009 to today:
    .252/.314/.397/.711 (wOBP 317) WAR +0.5 in 526 PAs

His numbers are better vs LHPs:
    Career:
    296 PAs
    .274/.334/.417/.752
    In 2010 his numbers vs lefties were very good:
    174 PAs
    .294/.357/.464/.821

His fielding is below average at best. He did a great job for us last year, but I think we can do better.

boom, since our 4th OF'er is most likely to play primarily vs LHPs, can you find DMac's Minor league career splits vs lefties?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

What is so magic about a right-handed bat in the outfield when 75% of the pitchers the Sox face are righties?  What the Sox need is a good bat in RF, righty or lefty. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

McDonald is not going to be with the team in a month IMO. DFA. I would hope that they would just go with what they have in terms of Reddick at least but I'm almost certain they will try to get a proven RH OF bat. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]What is so magic about a right-handed bat in the outfield when 75%of the pitchers the Sox face are righties?  What the Sox need is a good bat in RF, righty or lefty. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Closer to 60%, Max. The need for a decent RH outfielder bridge will be addressed if necessary. Mac was signed as a fifth outfielder. Expectations should correspond accordingly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice 2011 debut dinger for Navarro.
    Hope it earns him some PT.
    Would like to see him man SS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What is so magic about a right-handed bat in the outfield when 75% of the pitchers the Sox face are righties?  What the Sox need is a good bat in RF, righty or lefty. 

Because Crawford is sub 700 vs LHPs and Drew is even worse.

Yes, it would have been nice if Theo had signed someone who could hit both armed pitchers, but he chose to spend $142M on a glorified platoon LF'er.

Now, we need an OF'er who can hit lefties for the next 6 1/2 years.

Actually, we don't as long as Tito is managing, since he will start CC almost everyday regardless of his ineptitude vs lefties.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

A platoon RH hitting bridge RF'er won't be very costly.
    You are blaming Crawford, and he isn't even playing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]What is so magic about a right-handed bat in the outfield when 75% of the pitchers the Sox face are righties?  What the Sox need is a good bat in RF, righty or lefty.  Because Crawford is sub 700 vs LHPs and Drew is even worse. Yes, it would have been nice if Theo had signed someone who could hit both armed pitchers, but he chose to spend $142M on a glorified platoon LF'er. Now, we need an OF'er who can hit lefties for the next 6 1/2 years. Actually, we don't as long as Tito is managing, since he will start CC almost everyday regardless of his ineptitude vs lefties.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]In all fairness Moon, Maddon did not platoon CC either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

harness, Crawford has played this year. He stinks vs LHPs. Always has. Always will.

I was answering the point of "why do we need a RH'd bat to platoon", if we can justv get a RF'er who can hit both kinds of pitchers. My response was focused towards the need to have one for CC in LF. Also, if Reddick fadfes vs LHPs, we may still need on in RF as well. If Drew is still "the man" in RF, then we need 2 RH'd platoon guys who can play LF & RF.

CC will never be platooned. Yes, katz, even Maddon didn't dare do what was right, unless he has no better bench option than .700+ , or he felt the defense and speed out-weighed the possible OPS gain.

I hope I am terribly wrong about CC, but his career is long enough and the sample size great enough to safely project a sub .700 OPS from CC for the next 6 1/2 years vs LHPs. To me, that warrants a platoon, unless you are a top fielding SS. I'm not sure CC is even as great an OF'er as I once thought he was. (Not to mention the fact that good defense in Fenway's LF is minimized.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm curious.  What were Yaz's or Teddy Ballgame's stats against LHP?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Theo carried 5 outfielders for a reason, Moon. He knew the line-up was susceptible to lefties, so he had CAM/MAC as RH depth. I doubt Theo was blind to CC's splits.
    The problem was CAM. Now it's finding his replacement.

To draw an analogy, Yaz was a .244 career hitter vs. lefties. .692 OPS.
    Was he platooned? His managers wisely saw his overall value.

CC can look pathetic against a mediocre LH pitcher for 2-3 AB's. Then maybe he gets a scratch hit or reaches on a FC. Close game. Steals 2nd. Scores on a bloop hit and ties the game. Not everything translates on paper.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Amp, good to see you posting again. I've been very busy with Legion season which got very compacted because my son's high school team went all the way to the State Finals. We lost to a great team, but my son can always say he pitched in a state title game, even if it was just two scoreless innings of mop-up duty. The extended playoff forced us to postpone our first six legion games so we have to play 18 games in 20 days, not including our usual New England rainouts. So needless to say, I haven't been posting much, but I have kept up with the reading. Softy's got a new name (what else is new) and is still bashing his favorite whipping boys, but otherwise this new Part III has been free of controversy. 
     You know I'm not a stats guy, (and probably by the time I'm finished typing someone will have the numbers for Ted and Yaz) but I do remember Ted being able to hit anyone while Yaz was absolutely helpless against Tommy John and other soft-tossing, breaking ball lefties.