A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

Reddick is still hitting .282 with better pop than Crawford and Drew. And he still has a 26.2 UZR/150 in the OF this year. He is still our best bet in RF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

I want to throw my vote pro Reddick.  I think he's done a great job filling in--really hasn't he done better than the guy for whom he's filling in?  He's in a slump lately and I'm with Katz, that error tonight could happen to anyone at some point.  He tried to slide and knock it down and missed.  If he learns to adjust to pitching now, I think he can become everything that Drew has been.  Or we can trade him for a young right hander.  I liked that last hit of his tonight--it looked to me like he was trying to dump that ball over 3rd; I was impressed.  Sometimes it seems like we get too restless with the youngsters.  We have to let 'em grow a bit.  Patience, patience.  Khalish is not here now; we have to love the one we're with. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox won, so Reddick gets the high approval rating, but he really had hit the skids during a time where he was needed to flourish a bit. It's great to hit when everyone else is hitting, but I'd like to see more of him producing before I proclaim him an every day player. Also, to be clear, I said he would be nice as a utility OF next year. I'm just saying he's more like a 50-game guy, a Reid Nichols or Kevin Romine type. Not a guy who is going to do a lot but will make plays defensively and get some nice productive at bats in a platoon role. Also I don't hate Reddick. Why does it always have to take sides here. I'm tired of making a point that has validity, and the same few posters challenge me like I want Reddick to not do well, or Lackey, or Crawford, or any Sox player who happens to struggle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Atta Boy, Boom.  By the way, I asked earlier, did we draft any right handed power hitting rightfielders this year?  Seems that I remember our outfielders were scrawny little speedster guys, the prototype that Theo seems to go for.  I don't have a problem with this but it would seem that once in a while we ought to go for the brawny brute with power.

I seem to be jumping around tongiht, but as to the Wakefield debate, I would like to see him on the roster if we make the WS.  The AL hitters seem to me to be able to time him when he's not super sharp, but I think a NL team might really be flummoxed by him, especially in contrast to a fastballer like Bard, for example.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Danny, I for one wasn't jumping your case.  Just feel a little different about his potential.  If the RS do go in a different direction in RF, I think he could do well in the role you outline.  I just remember when Youk first came up he was jerked back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket for three or four years.  Now we don't want to think about the team without him.  Young kids need time to learn--like how to play that bounce off the wall tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I realize he had that walk-off hit during his hot streak, but he sure seems to come up a lot in big situations even as a pinch hitter, and I just don't see him coming through. Does he need time? Well, I mentioned some pretty good OFs who came up through Boston's organization who were pretty much immediate talents producing---Greenwell, Burks, Lynn, Rice, Evans, Ellsbury ....but I really haven't seen anything from Reddick to make me believe he will be the next Dwight Evans, or even the next Kevin Romine. Sorry, 5-tool? yikes, I don't think so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]The Sox won, so Reddick gets the high approval rating, but he really had hit the skids during a time where he was needed to flourish a bit. It's great to hit when everyone else is hitting, but I'd like to see more of him producing before I proclaim him an every day player. Also, to be clear, I said he would be nice as a utility OF next year. I'm just saying he's more like a 50-game guy, a Reid Nichols or Kevin Romine type. Not a guy who is going to do a lot but will make plays defensively and get some nice productive at bats in a platoon role. Also I don't hate Reddick. Why does it always have to take sides here. I'm tired of making a point that has validity, and the same few posters challenge melike I want Reddick to not do well, or Lackey, or Crawford, or any Sox player who happens to struggle.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Gee. What's that like?

When you take a position, be prepared to defend it.
    Don't take it personally unless it gets personal. And even then it's just cyberspace.

Plenty of posters want to dump on players like CC or Lackey for the wrong reasons.
    I'll post those reasons, and I don't give a damn who if posters hold it against me. I don't respect such posters. The good ones know this is a baseball discussion board, not a personality contest. If that were the case, I'd say poster Jete wins hands down. He's kind and affable. Juan Karlos is another.

The takes on Reddick have nothing to do with the game tonight. I think you'll find that those who made pro-Reddick posts don't make game-to-game judgements.
    Your position doesn't infer UR rooting agains him. You offered your opinion on him. It was discussed and not agreed with. Why would I or any other opposing viewpoint think less of you for speaking UR mind?

Those that do aren't worth UR time. That's my opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

good point, harns...i think i had a crazed moment. oh, oh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Please, DC, don't mention 'crazed' on this thread. Moon and I have had a gutful of that lunatic poster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This post is #18,000. I'd luv to stick it down the throat of that nutcase.
    That he can take personally!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Congrats harness.

Think Iggy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Reddick's plate discipline has certainly improved.  The next adjustment for him will have to be to adjust to his weaknesses which the pitchers discover over time.  It's like a chess game(which not enough people play nowadays)...good hitters or good pitchers adjust when necessary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    [QUOTE]This post is #18,000. I'd luv to stick it down the throat of that nutcase. That he can take personally!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Too bad nobody noticed.... like having to put the candles into your own b-day cake.... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i think that was a cheapshot there, burrito. I congratulate the man. Nothing wrong with hitting milestones even on a chatboard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If I had to guess, I'd say Reddick ends up as a fine platoon RF'er in MLB. It's still way to early to know for sure. Just a hunch.

It will be interesting to see if Theo goes for a big star in RF or a quality RH'd bat who can play RF better than DMac.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Conor Jackson? He's pretty good against lefties, but has only played 28 career games in RF. He does play some 1B, but where will he get any serious playing time? We all know CC will not be platooned, despite his .563 OPS vs lefties this year and .685 career. I don't see Jackson as being good enough to force a platoon.
    (DMac maybe, Jackson No)

Jackson vs LHPs (RHPs):
    2011: .686 (.641)
    2010: .743 (.645)
    2009: .443 (.550)
    Career: .825  (.731)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Danny, this is not to challenge one of your points, but maybe to upgrade your memory. You mentioned a group of outfielders who came up through the system and were successful right out of the shoot, and you included Dwight Evans. Now Dewey might be one of the two or three best rightfielders I've seen play, but he struggled mightily early in his career, often batting eigth or ninth and being pinch-hit for late in games. He didn't become a solid ML hitter for several seasons. Always great defensively but it took him awhile to become a good hitter. He and Yaz had more batting stances than any two players I've ever seen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In 1973, his rookie season (he played some cup of coffee September 72 as well) he wasn't great, granted, .223 10 homers, 32 RBI in 364 PA (better power than Reddick...)...But a couple of things on Dewey. He stayed a regular outfielder from 1974 on, he was ravaged by injuries in both 77 and 78. He was a terrific, superior RF almost from the get go with a lethal arm. While he didn't become a better hitter until the 1980s, he was entrenched as a regular in the Sox outfield. He did not go through a yo-yo process for three years like Reddick has....with that said, Reddick has certainly improved from his first two cups of coffee. But I get the sense he's not an impact player or may not be an impact player. I don't know, a lot of people seem to be very, very high on him. I'm not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Also Evans came to Boston as a can't miss kid with a high pedigree. I don't think Reddick has been given that kind of status by the organization, who seemed to rather go to Kalish and a few others last year due to a second stink job by Josh in his MLB stints. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

and jidge, boy, you hit the nail with the wacky change of batting stances by Dewey and Yaz. Those two were legendary at moving their bat up down around and behind their backs if they could.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dewey came up at 21 for 328 PAs (4th most for OF'ers that year on the Sox, next to my alltime fave Tommy harper -638, Rick Miller-503, and Reggie Smith 495). His 2nd year, he led the team in OF PAs and batted .281 (.756 OPS second onlt to carbo in OF OPS). In '75, they brought up the wonder kids who were about the same age as Dewey. dewey his .274. After 1975, he was kind of up and down a bit on offense, but did have 18+ HRs for 12 straight years!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, i think the comparison of Reddick by jidge to imply that Evans also started out poorly was...well.....not a fair comparison to either player. Josh Reddick is no Dwight Evans, not in any way, shape or form. Sorry people, Josh is not that good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think his .230 BA over his first 400 PAs was his point. I don't think he was saying Reddick is as good as or will be as good as Dewey.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Reddick's OPS this year: .805

Evans OPS the year in question ( 328 AB ): .703

Reddick has the better pop during the year in question.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let's hope Reddick can become even 70-75% of the player Dewey became.