A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2011: Part III:
    Harness, I almost addressed that question to you.  Looks like he's not going to make it with the fastball as his featured pitch.
    Posted by Critter23

His bread and butter is his cutter/slider. His FB is pretty straight and has enough velocity to keep hitters honest, but he often uses it to set up his secondary pitches.
    I always liked the kid, and I think he's been serving BP duty to satisfy team need/insurance. He's still young and IMO needs to establish consistency in keeping the ball down in the stike zone. That's always important, but especially for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed Harness. I don't think he necessarily is a reliever though, for insurance reasons. He just doesn't have starter level stuff yet. He uses the 4 seamer for more differential from his off speed stuff. He probably never has starter level stuff for a top team like the Sox.

He may well be trade bait. My point is that lots of guys here and elsewhere have thrown him on the scrap heap and I think that was premature. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I believe it was Softy who first used the term on here "drive-by idiotic post".

No, incorrect. Softy first used phrase "drive-by drivel", on another thread, but it fits most posts on this thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

boom, love your prospect notes. Always informative. I hope Bowden works out, but I have to admit I lost faith.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's easy to lose Faith! Your Avatar was an expert on that subject! 

I just looking for a Manny Del Carmen type career out of Bowden. Several good years. More than that is gravy but he may surprise us. He is reputed to be an extremely hard worker and he is clearly in tremendous shape. He doesn't have an ounce of fat in his body from all indications.

Good things often come to those who work extremely hard. I have faith in those who worship at the pillar of hard work. Bowden is giving it everything he's got. I think he might yet pull it off. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I saw Bowden in Maine a few times and thought he was going to be great. Maybe my expectations got so high, I was bound to be disappointed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Agreed Harness. I don't think he necessarily is a reliever though, for insurance reasons. He just doesn't have starter level stuff yet. He uses the 4 seamer for more differential from his off speed stuff. He probably never has starter level stuff for a top team like the Sox. He may well be trade bait. My point is that lots of guys here and elsewhere have thrown him on the scrap heap and I think that was premature. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

The reason is because as a reliever, he has to refine two pitches.
    We both know it takes time for starters to find consistency.
    To command 4 pitches while robotically repeating delivery is the hardest thing for a pitcher to do. It's what separates the money-makers from the journeymen.

I think he's shown the ability to start at higher levels.
    2008 at age 21 for Portland: 9-4 2.33 ERA 0.920 WHIP  104 IP  72 H
    2009 in Pawtucket: 4-6 3.13 ERA 1.211 WHIP 126 IP 106 H   

His progress was interrupted in 2010 due to team need. He's done a nice job in relief this year, and has adopted the mindset as well as can be expected (16 saves).
    But now he's in Major League mop-up service, so that alters approach. 

I wish they'd just give him another year of starting in AAA and leave him alone.
    Then he might get the chance he deserves to prove what he can do.
    They way the Sox have used him, it reminds me of how they misused Wake last year. But it's more difficult for a pitcher who has to rely on multiple pitches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They have yo-to'd him a bit. I'm not sure one more yo-yo is the solution, but I see your point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's crunch time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I don't like them throwing Bowden back out there so quickly. He went over 2 innings just the other day. He's been a closer this year. He's not used to going several innings like that in consecutive games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sometimes it make you wonder, huh boom?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Well, guys, I have to admit I'm a little discouraged today.  I thought after the last series with Texas we may have found the key.  But they kicked us twice in this series, and I'm worried about our starters.  Seems like all has been said about our SP's and I can't offer any miracle suggestions, but it's tough to watch us get kicked around by a potential playoff opponent.  At this moment I can only think of one thing and I hesitate to bring it up.  Would we dare put Aceves into the rotation and try to find someone to take over his relieving duties?  That noise you hear is me digging out a foxhole.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We will be alright in the playoffs since we dont need a 5th starter and our other starters should be more rested than any other team in the playoffs, if you go by IP totals. I think we'll have a good chance of being up 2-1 after Beckett, lester, and Bedard pitch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No way you remove Aceves from already shaky pen depth.

TX can hit, and they will at Fenway. They were embarrassed at home by Boston. So they gave us a taste of our own medicine.
    Don't underestimate the quality of this TX team.

Boston is now well aware of the level necessary to compete against NY/TX.
    The last two series will remove any doubt or false sense of confidence.
    This is not a bad thing at all. Lose now. Win later...when it makes all the difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see Aceves getting a crucial spot start if needed, but he's built for the pen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I see dead relievers....and can we end the Felix Doubront experiment....please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was watching Conor Jackson, and all I could think about was he doesn't impress me. Then he crashed into the RF wall, then I thought, JD Drew still sounds like an alternative down the stretch...well, if it weren't for the fact he announced his retirement some 3 months ago.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Where's softy calling for him to retire now and make room for a kid?

Where's softy writing a trestise on Drew's finger injury?

Oh, I fogot, I iggy'd him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Hope that Clay Bucholtz can be in the bull pen for the post season

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope he is healthy for 2012. Anything else is gravy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Where's softy calling for him to retire now and make room for a kid? Where's softy writing a trestise on Drew's finger injury? Oh, I fogot, I iggy'd him.
    Posted by moonslav59

It's like a laser beam from Saturn!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good one!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Question ! What was a team thinking to give Connor Jackson 3.25 million. Am I missing something here. He is a 500,000 dollar a year player at best. 

At the end of the season I think they are going to have to eat money and ship Lackey to a West Coast team. He is clearly not the pitcher he was in 2009. He very rarely gets into the 7th inning and is another major strain on the bullpen. He is an expensive mediocre pitcher at best. He definetly does not fit into the American League East. His pitch counts are high early in the game and he reminds me of Matsusaka another over hyped, over payed pitcher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's really tough to compete in the AL East as a pitcher. We should know that by now. The bulk of our FA money going forward is going to be pitching in the next few years. We have no one on the farm ready to step in and help that much. Maybe Doubront next year but we can expect him to be a #5 at best for a while at least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe swapping him to the NL for an overpriced player on a team there is the only solution.

If we traded Lackey, Matsusaka, and Jenks to the Cubs for Zambrano and Soriano, the money would be even and both teams would have hopes that the change of league could jumpstart the problem players. I'm not saying I like this trade or that there is any chance of it happening, I just brought it up as an example of swapping problems and salaries.

Sections
Shortcuts